PDA

View Full Version : Matt/BlackwaterOPS legal defense fund

WolfMansDad
05-04-2007, 6:03 PM
A legal defense fund is now open for Matt (Blackwater OPS). Checks should be made out to "Trutanich-Michel Trust Fund," and list on the subject/memo line "Matthew Corwin Legal Defense Fund." Send them to

Trutanich-Michel LLP
180 E. Ocean Blvd., Ste 200
Long Beach, CA 90802

If you have questions, you can contact the firm at

Tel (562) 216-4444
Fax (562) 216-4445
www.tmllp.com

WMD

hoffmang
05-04-2007, 6:08 PM
Just clarification for all. These are not tax deductible donations but are straight donations.

I'll be sending a check tomorrow.

-Gene

Knauga
05-04-2007, 6:22 PM
Perhaps a paypal account could be set up? If I have to write a check, fill out an envelope, put a stamp on it and then go to the post office I am just overwhelmed ;) But if I can click a link I'm there in a heartbeat! :D

Besides, I love the irony of using (anti-gun) pay pal to pay for anything gun related!

pnkssbtz
05-04-2007, 6:38 PM
Paypal will want what, 5%?

If its not urgent, I'd rather mail a check then let an anti-gun fascist left wing (ok i forgot things to say about paypal...) org. take money for a firearm related defense fund.

C.G.
05-04-2007, 6:57 PM
Will send a check on Monday, thanks for the heads up.:)

Kestryll
05-04-2007, 7:05 PM
Since there is now an official fund for Matt I want to call your attention to this.

Wes at 10% Firearms has added this to his site on the limit of ten lowers laser engraved lowers with the Calguns lowers.
UPDATE! The owner of Calguns is requesting that the $10 contribution to Calguns be instead earmarked for Matthew "Blackwater Ops" Corwin's defense. Ten Percent Firearms is going to honor this request and also earmark $40 additional dollars of the $170 price towards Matt's defense. That means for every one of these Spike's Tactical Calguns lowers sold, $50 total will be earmarked for defending one of our own.
http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com (http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=296)

Wes and I both suggested the diversion of funds to each other and agreed that this would be a fitting tribute and use of funds.

Another lower in law abiding hands and money for Matt's defence, kind of a double score!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/elrojo14/spikecal1.jpg

Knauga
05-04-2007, 7:10 PM
Paypal will want what, 5%?

If its not urgent, I'd rather mail a check then let an anti-gun fascist left wing (ok i forgot things to say about paypal...) org. take money for a firearm related defense fund.

Only for credit card payments... I prefer it because of my own inherent laziness. ;) Already got a check and envelope put together... now all I have to do is get it to the Post Office.

TonyM
05-04-2007, 7:19 PM
Only for credit card payments... I prefer it because of my own inherent laziness. ;) Already got a check and envelope put together... now all I have to do is get it to the Post Office.

You must have a personal account. Once you start accepting larger amounts of money you get forced to upgrade to a Premier or Business account, and get hit with the 2.9% fee, until you start getting serious amounts, then the rate drops to 2.2%, and 1.9%.... Yes, even for E-checks.

Kestryll: That's totally awesome of you and Wes. :cool:

NoTime2Shoot
05-04-2007, 7:25 PM
I'll gather together for a monday mailing.

oaklander
05-04-2007, 7:29 PM
Mailing a check Monday.

HK fan
05-04-2007, 7:30 PM
sorry, I won't be sending $ until I at least hear how the guns were configured. We really don't know what he had in his safe. And being a former MP, there is no way NO HOW, he was allowed to keep his badge and ID when he left and went IRR.

Kestryll
05-04-2007, 7:41 PM
All I know is what I've heard but this is what stands out to me.
Most of the charges are based on legal 1919s.
All of the rifles listed in the charges are not listed.
Those who know him and have shot with him say the rifles they know of were legally configured.
If the AW charges have the same depth of reasearch that went in to the others I suspect he was legal.
Most telling to me is that he has a very reputable legal firm willing to take his case.

I could well be wrong but I'd be a bit surprised.

As for the ID and such, Nearly all the ex-mil people i know have their IDs and other stuff, yes they should have turned them in but few really do.
If that is the basis for arrest then there are tens of thousands of California residents that this DA had better get to filing charges on lest he be seen as persecuting one person.

WokMaster1
05-04-2007, 7:59 PM
sorry, I won't be sending $ until I at least hear how the guns were configured. We really don't know what he had in his safe. And being a former MP, there is no way NO HOW, he was allowed to keep his badge and ID when he left and went IRR.

I understand where you're coming from. No worries! Just jump on the train whenever you feel comfortable.

Kes & WolfMansDad, any idea how much money is needed?

Liberty1
05-04-2007, 8:08 PM
Gentlemen and Gentlewomen,

There is no more worthy endeavor that one can do in this short life then to fight for another's freedom; let along also fight for a cause linked to the very reason our forefather's pledged their Lives, Fortunes and Sacred Honor to establish a framework, Our Constitution, to protect our First Liberties; our Basic Human Right to Self Defense and the possession of the tools of that Honorable Peaceful Trade.

We are now presented with such a cause, that only demands our money. It is our humble opportunity to prove our metal as peaceful individuals and Loyal Americans.

County Jail is an awful place. It is disease ridden and can be dangerous. Prisoners serving multi-year sentences can't wait to get transferred to state to get out of there. I enforce the law and serve the public in my chosen profession. There are many that I have charged and delivered to county jail. I believe most of them deserved to be locked up for violent crimes until their trial. Only once have I seen someone eligible for bail with an amount higher then Matt's!!!

Matt doesn't deserve to be there, innocent or not, on possession charges that are based on PLASTIC cosmetic features the rest of the Country can own and other bad laws! We are hundreds and thousands. Let us raise enough money to not only pay the legal bill, but also bail Matt out!!!

I don't need a new gun this year. I picked the amount of money I though I could give and then forced myself to double it. It hurt, but I'll survive. There is another, whom I only meet through the news media, who needs it more then I.

Dig deep my brothers and sisters and let us not stop raising money until Matt is Free!!! and our liberties secure. Let us encourage TMLLP to take these issues, Our Rights, and challenge these unjust laws right up to the top on the heals of Parker vs. DC!

6172crew
05-04-2007, 8:09 PM

There is no way you can say that without being in his shoes when he EAS'd

I EAS'd to a I&I staff the last few months before leaving the 6 years active duty and the I & I staff had no idea that my flight helmet issued to me was to be taken back and when I mentioned it to them they said because it was fitted to my head that it was a uniform but Im like 1/1000 that walked away from the .mil with a flight helmet. If the person signing his checkout wasnt the normal guy (like a SGT stepping in for the Top SGT ) then maybe it was over looked and no fault of his.
As far as legal config on his stuff Im going to put my $$ on him and bet against the fact the cops dont know what they were doing, but thats me.

trfcrugby
05-04-2007, 8:36 PM
I agree with HK Fan. If we can be sure his OLLs were configured properly, I am in.

Jicko
05-04-2007, 8:47 PM
I enforce the law and serve the public in my chosen profession. There are many that I have charged and delivered to county jail. I believe most of them deserved to be locked up for violent crimes until their trial. Only once have I seen someone eligible for bail with an amount higher then Matt's!!!

Matt doesn't deserve to be there, innocent or not, on possession charges that are based on PLASTIC cosmetic features the rest of the Country can own and other bad laws! We are hundreds and thousands. Let us raise enough money to not only pay the legal bill, but also bail Matt out!!!

Well said bro!! Thank you for being a good and understanding LEO, to protect and serve.

Liberty1
05-04-2007, 8:50 PM
All I know is what I've heard but this is what stands out to me.
Most of the charges are based on legal 1919s.
All of the rifles listed in the charges are not listed.
Those who know him and have shot with him say the rifles they know of were legally configured.
If the AW charges have the same depth of reasearch that went in to the others I suspect he was legal.
Most telling to me is that he has a very reputable legal firm willing to take his case.

I could well be wrong but I'd be a bit surprised.

As for the ID and such, Nearly all the ex-mil people i know have their IDs and other stuff, yes they should have turned them in but few really do.
If that is the basis for arrest then there are tens of thousands of California residents that this DA had better get to filing charges on lest he be seen as persecuting one person.

+1

We aren't going to be privy to evidence until it comes out at trial. Matt was arrested after a search warrant primarily based on public photos of items that can be legally owned and are owned my many on this forum.

He needs support and resources to present the best defense possible. This can include hiring EXPERT TESTIMONY for his defense. This can get expensive. Regardless of the configuration of any OLLs, we all have a stake in Matt defeating these bad laws whether or not they are being correctly applied, and as we know the LAW in the case of the 1919's is being WRONGFULLY APPLIED!

Give $100 or $1000. We all have a stake in this case whether you want it or not.

Hunter
05-04-2007, 9:21 PM
You must have a personal account. Once you start accepting larger amounts of money you get forced to upgrade to a Premier or Business account, and get hit with the 2.9% fee, until you start getting serious amounts, then the rate drops to 2.2%, and 1.9%.... Yes, even for E-checks...

Nope, that limit only applies to Ebay sells/transactions. For non-ebay deals, there is no limit on the cash transfers for a personal account. If there was, I would have been hit with it long ago and I have had my account for many years. Never have I been forced to pay fees or upgrade to the Premier/business account. And yes, it goes well beyond $500/month which is the ebay limit for the account.

Incitatus
05-04-2007, 9:27 PM
I'm in. I believe Matt is innocent until proven otherwise and he deserves the best defense possible.

Question: since our contributions are sent directly to TMLLP, how do we know what is the total ammount of money Calgunners are sending to the forementioned attorney firm? Shouldn't we open a bank account first, have an evidence of what's coming in and what's going out?
I know TMLLP are suposedly the best legal defenders money can buy for Matt, but don't you guys think we need to know at least how much we pay them and what their legal fees are?

rkt88edmo
05-04-2007, 9:33 PM
If you are contributing a significant sum I can see why you would want to track it, but I think most people are giving the money freely. I am sure you can contact TM and find out what will be doen with excesses if any.

pullnshoot25
05-04-2007, 9:34 PM
If you guys have online banking, you can send the check from your bank accounts for free AND it is instantly withdrawn. I use it all the time for online purchases and even my parents.

-Nathan

Q
05-04-2007, 9:40 PM
I'm in. I believe Matt is innocent until proven otherwise and he deserves the best defense possible.

Question: since our contributions are sent directly to TMLLP, how do we know what is the total ammount of money Calgunners are sending to the forementioned attorney firm? Shouldn't we open a bank account first, have an evidence of what's coming in and what's going out?
I know TMLLP are suposedly the best legal defenders money can buy for Matt, but don't you guys think we need to know at least how much we pay them and what their legal fees are?

How about we post how much we donate somewhere when we send the funds. That way we can keep track of the total amount sent by calgunners.

pullnshoot25
05-04-2007, 9:40 PM
Just sent a 40 dollar check through online banking. Kick ***, Corwin!

hoffmang
05-04-2007, 9:48 PM
The usual legal assumption here is that money we're sending to the TMLLP trust fund is money that we're in effect giving to BWO. Any excess (which I wish there would be but don't hold much hope) would belong to BWO/Matt at the end and he could do with it as he wishes.

I'm willing to bet we'll be happy with that. Personally if he wants to spend it on women and song after this, I'm happy with it.

For those wondering whether these are legal configs, I offer a couple of pieces of circumstantial evidence. 1. Semi 1919a4's are legal and there is even a DOJ letter to prove that (and we all know these are semis or there would be federal charges.) 2. The AR and AK are off list. 3. BWO was a big fan of Prince's bullet button - why buy and install a bullet button if you want to run illegal?

-Gene

kevykev707
05-04-2007, 10:06 PM
count me in. i'm sending a check out after payday. thanks for the info.

AW-FANATIC
05-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Just mailed off my check for 50 bucks.

artherd
05-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Gentlemen and Gentlewomen,

There is no more worthy endeavor that one can do in this short life then to fight for another's freedom

I could not have put it better myself!

Check has been sent.

PS: regarding tracking, if possible and adventageous, I'm sure TMLLP will make the figures open after this is all said and done. They are a trustworthy orginization, they are the NRA's lawyer in California, and just recently body-slammed Prop H (SF Handgun ban) out of existance.

I can personally vouch for their service, as a client.

They are expensive, killing Prop H cost $500grand. Well worth it.

tlillard23
05-04-2007, 10:26 PM
No way man!!! If he spends the "left over" (haha) on women and song, I want an invite...

Paypal: If you have the cheapazz account (no credit cards) they do not charge a fee. I enjoy using paypal for that reason. They handle my money and get the big-ole-D-I-C-K for doing it!!!

I will look into the e-check thing.

No way to know what is really going on, but if I got nicked for something I would hope you guys would spend a few bucks to help me out.

Furthermore it bends me out of shape that the "ninja-stuff" is even on his ticket. WTF. who uses ninja stuff "for real", they should erase those laws.

-Todd

wxc96
05-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Yes...donation outbound

Bad Voodoo
05-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Yes...donation outbound

Mine too, illegal builds or not. Time to pick a side boys and girls! Its the 2A - you're either all in or all out.

-voodoo

Liberty1
05-04-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm sure you've all seen this regarding letters:

:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=600933

Write letters too.

ivanimal
05-04-2007, 11:01 PM
I will send a check today.

We are in your corner Matt!

redneckshootist
05-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I'll be sending a e-check on monday after I get paid, I can hold off on buying that next gun.

Ratters
05-04-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm gonna pop out a check tomorrow. Personally, I don't give a rat's *** how his guns were configured. Stupid law in the first place. Hell, it'd be great to support strictly as a test case on how convoluted the laws are. Best of luck Matt.

69Mach1
05-04-2007, 11:25 PM
My payment to the justice fund will be mailed out on Monday. The investigation was a joke. If they indeed believe that the 1919 is a machine gun, than why didn't they go after the other buyers, the FFL's that transferred them, and the manufacturer? I'd love to know what the seach warrant was based on. Heads will role.

Mssr. Eleganté
05-04-2007, 11:39 PM
If the charges are dropped or he is found innocent, then we should cover all of his legal bills.

If he is found guilty, then we should cover all of his legal bills and pay to deck out his prison cell like a suite at the Ritz Carlton and send him cigarettes by the pallet load.

Either way, the criminal justice system needs to know that CalGuns has spoken. I'm pretty sure the charges are all BS. If not, then I do know for sure that the laws he is accused of breaking are all BS.

They think they can intimmidate us individually with threats of financial ruin. Well if we make getting arrested on an OLL charge a sure fire guarantee of $100,000 in donations then they have nothing to use against us.

Thrillbilly
05-05-2007, 3:15 AM
I will send mine out on Monday.

Richie Rich
05-05-2007, 6:34 AM
Going to kick in a few bucks this weekend. Seems like Matt is a good guy who does not belong locked up in a cage with actual criminals.

The man was willing to lay down his life to defend the freedom of all Americans and this is the thanks that he gets. This is not right.

No plea deals, no BS. I want him cleared of all the charges against him and his property returned to him. Take it all the way to the top if needed. I believe this may very well be our test case.

This is one of the times that I wish I was wealthy. I would bankroll this entire thing in a heartbeat.

I would love to see the total of donations from calguns members, hopefully most of us put or money where our mouths are.

Allright guys, turn in the change jar, check under your couch cushions, put off that gun purchase for a few weeks and chip in to help Matt out.

redneckshootist
05-05-2007, 6:41 AM
what about doing a donation car wash for BWO we could have calguners meet up and wash cars all day.

shark92651
05-05-2007, 6:51 AM
Dig deep my brothers and sisters and let us not stop raising money until Matt is Free!!! and our liberties secure. Let us encourage TMLLP to take these issues, Our Rights, and challenge these unjust laws right up to the top on the heals of Parker vs. DC!

Dam right! I was getting my checkbook out anyway but man that was inspiring. I saw this in my mind as I was reading it...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/220/485071257_cb52474473.jpg

shark92651
05-05-2007, 6:59 AM

I have an idea, how about everyone that makes a donation send a PM to Wolfmansdad and he can tally up the total and report it back to us. This way, your donation amount can remain anonymous (except to wmd) but he can update us here periodically with the total amount. It can be like a telethon and we can set a target goal for donations perhaps. Good idea or not?

Incitatus
05-05-2007, 8:06 AM
I have an idea, how about everyone that makes a donation send a PM to Wolfmansdad and he can tally up the total and report it back to us. This way, your donation amount can remain anonymous (except to wmd) but he can update us here periodically with the total amount. It can be like a telethon and we can set a target goal for donations perhaps. Good idea or not?

Sounds like a great proposal.

We need to (at least) have an ideea:

1. How much TMLLP is getting paid, even if only as future reference.

2. How much and how well Calgunners can mobilize and organize and what is our true financial force in time of crisis.

I'm sure most members are wishing well but we need to know how big our pocket is when compared with our good intentions.

What do you guys think?

naimad
05-05-2007, 8:42 AM
Sending check out today,lets help a brother out remember this could be you in this same situation

pm sent

BLKTALN
05-05-2007, 10:12 AM
thanks for putting this together. if charges drop... let's hope matt can continue pursuit for further justification... with us pushing behind him.

Racefiend
05-05-2007, 10:23 PM
I'll be sending a check out on Monday.

FinweElensar
05-05-2007, 10:58 PM
I'll send my check on Monday

GunOwner
05-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Has anyone contacted the NRA as to weather this is a good test case to back all the way?

jmlivingston
05-06-2007, 5:28 AM
Has anyone contacted the NRA as to weather this is a good test case to back all the way?

I understand that his legal firm is the same one which the NRA uses.

John

GunOwner
05-06-2007, 10:10 AM
I do not know the facts of this case but it would seem like a good catalyst to form a systematic approach to this type of situation. A combination of funds and existing organizations that stands for the proposition that, as long as a member is law abiding and complying with the law as interpreted to us by the DOJ (through counsel) we should not let individual DAs intimidate individual members with banruptcy resulting from having to pay for their defense. Perhaps a consortium with the NRA and us Calgun folks along with the lawyers "in order to provide for a common defense" should start a fund and prearranged legal services (NRA and lawyers) and have it at the ready to defend suits that are brought against lawful gun owners. We could get guidelines on what we can and can't do from the lawyers based on a reasonable interpretation of the law and the DOJ letters. Then if someone follows those guidelines but is picked off by a DA for whatever reason we could bring the resources of the group to bear on it rather than having an ad hoc passing of the hat (which if fine to do in this case I'm just thinking if we have a defense fund in place it may disuade DAs from bringing weak cases).

Just a thought.

p.s. Since this is a civil right why isn't the ACLU stepping in to help (rhetorical question).

ghettoshecky
05-06-2007, 2:08 PM
Before I send anything, can someone please tell me if we donate by check will our names be kept private?

mblat
05-06-2007, 2:15 PM
Check is written....

BTW. Why anybody cares about his gov. creds? Let's say (for the sake of the argument) he is guilty as sin for keeping them. So? Our concern to get AW charges dropped/defended.
As others pointed on this board we should make sure that DA' knows that AW charges with OLL are loser. That is what I want, and as far as gov. creds and other stupid stuff he is charged with - as far as I concern he can be convicted on those without any damage to gun movement in CA.
As long as AW charges dropped/he is acquitted we won. That is why I wrote the check.

naimad
05-06-2007, 2:23 PM
Before I send anything, can someone please tell me if we donate by check will our names be kept private?

you could always send a money order

PistolPete75
05-06-2007, 2:24 PM
i'm in too.

TheMan
05-06-2007, 5:52 PM

It'd be curious to see how well that correlates to what is actually received by the lawyers. Between people who aren't members here donating(finding about it on another site for example), and the occasional person saying they will donate but then forgetting to get the check in the mail, I could imagine a pretty big difference.

Any opening weekend numbers yet?

aileron
05-06-2007, 7:09 PM
One check sent.

Zebra
05-06-2007, 7:24 PM
I do not know the facts of this case but it would seem like a good catalyst to form a systematic approach to this type of situation. A combination of funds and existing organizations that stands for the proposition that, as long as a member is law abiding and complying with the law as interpreted to us by the DOJ (through counsel) we should not let individual DAs intimidate individual members with banruptcy resulting from having to pay for their defense. Perhaps a consortium with the NRA and us Calgun folks along with the lawyers "in order to provide for a common defense" should start a fund and prearranged legal services (NRA and lawyers) and have it at the ready to defend suits that are brought against lawful gun owners. We could get guidelines on what we can and can't do from the lawyers based on a reasonable interpretation of the law and the DOJ letters. Then if someone follows those guidelines but is picked off by a DA for whatever reason we could bring the resources of the group to bear on it rather than having an ad hoc passing of the hat (which if fine to do in this case I'm just thinking if we have a defense fund in place it may disuade DAs from bringing weak cases).

Just a thought.

Just put a check in the mail. I like this idea, it's in our best interest to create a slush fund and define rules for distribution. If we can each spare a small amount every month, it won't make a difference to us individually - until that time comes.

Matt is not the first, nor will he be the last. The DoJ does not want us to have our rifles. It will help to be prepared when they try to pick us off.

hoffmang
05-07-2007, 5:58 AM
Guys,

The problem with setting up non ad-hoc funds is the fiduciary responsibilities and what happens to the money after we're done.

Let me explain. Here everyone who is sending a check knows two things.

1. What Matt is charged with and some of Matt's character.

2. The money is being given to Matt and he can do with it whatever he wishes. Obviously in the short run it will go to legal fees.

If we had some sort of fund, we would have problems finding someone to act on our behalf (read liability insurance.) There could be major problems if the funds director put funds to a defense that turned out to be charges that were legit instead of these likely bogus ones. The second issue is that once we've raised the money, we may never have to spend it. A rhetorical question, but this case might end OLL prosecutions. Would everyone agree that the entire balance went to NRA? How could we tell we were done?

As such and due to those complications - lets just prove that we can step up in situations like this. The powers that be will notice.

To that end, it would be very valuable to know where we are in fund raising. WolfmansDad - are you game to be a clearing house of commitments so we can get a total but keep amounts anonymous should people want that?

-Gene

69Mach1
05-07-2007, 6:03 AM
Check is in the mail.:)

shark92651
05-07-2007, 6:11 AM
I PM'd WolfMansDad my check amount and everyone else should do the same so that he can report back a total.

EricCartmann
05-07-2007, 7:02 AM
What's the paypal address? I'll paypal something over right now.

WolfMansDad
05-07-2007, 8:34 AM
It's premature to post a tally, but here's where we stand after the first weekend.

32 people have pledged to contribute in this thread or by PM, counting Wes at 10%. Six of them said how much they sent, and the total for those six comes to $990.00. There are still 26 who have either promised to send a check or said they already sent a check, but who didn't say how much they were sending.

The average contribution for the first six people is $165.00 per person. If we can sustain that average - or even improve on it - we'll be doing alright.

We won't know how much this is going to cost until we know which charges Matt will have to fight. There were 12 felony complaints at the initial arraignment, but the actual filing of charges was delayed until May 14th. I'll talk with his attorney after the arraignment next week. By then we should know exactly what charges Matt is facing, how much it will cost to fight them, and how much we can raise.

Until then, keep the donations coming. Lawyers are expensive, especially good ones like Trutanich-Michel. This is an important fight, and its outcome will affect us all. Let's do everything we can to win it.

WMD

Liberty1
05-07-2007, 8:46 AM
Check and PM inbound.

BTW, I don't own an OLL or anything that was or needed to be registered. This is just a good cause. I certainly hope everyone who owns an OLL is in on this.

Paratus et Vigilans
05-07-2007, 8:55 AM
Guys,

The problem with setting up non ad-hoc funds is the fiduciary responsibilities and what happens to the money after we're done.

2. The money is being given to Matt and he can do with it whatever he wishes. Obviously in the short run it will go to legal fees.

If we had some sort of fund, we would have problems finding someone to act on our behalf (read liability insurance.) There could be major problems if the funds director put funds to a defense that turned out to be charges that were legit instead of these likely bogus ones. The second issue is that once we've raised the money, we may never have to spend it. A rhetorical question, but this case might end OLL prosecutions. Would everyone agree that the entire balance went to NRA? How could we tell we were done?

As such and due to those complications - lets just prove that we can step up in situations like this. The powers that be will notice.

To that end, it would be very valuable to know where we are in fund raising. WolfmansDad - are you game to be a clearing house of commitments so we can get a total but keep amounts anonymous should people want that?

-Gene

May I suggest that someone who speaks with BWO's counsel suggest, and/or make arrangments for, the donated funds to be made payable to, and be deposited directly into, his counsel's client trust account? They can then be applied from there to his attorneys' fees incurred. We lawyers all have those accounts already, they are required by law, and not only would that be the easiest way to work this, it also might avoid BWO having to treat the donations to his defense fund as income for income tax purposes.

Just a thought. :)

Kestryll
05-07-2007, 9:17 AM
May I suggest that someone who speaks with BWO's counsel suggest, and/or make arrangments for, the donated funds to be made payable to, and be deposited directly into, his counsel's client trust account? They can then be applied from there to his attorneys' fees incurred. We lawyers all have those accounts already, they are required by law, and not only would that be the easiest way to work this, it also might avoid BWO having to treat the donations to his defense fund as income for income tax purposes.

Just a thought. :)

I think they are already doing that based on this rom the first post:
Checks should be made out to "Trutanich-Michel Trust Fund," and list on the subject/memo line "Matthew Corwin Legal Defense Fund." Send them to

Trutanich-Michel LLP
180 E. Ocean Blvd., Ste 200
Long Beach, CA 90802

Prince50
05-07-2007, 9:28 AM
WMD,

Count me in for $500. This will be my first donation. We'll se what else is needed after the May 14th court date.

Check inbound today.

Darin

GTKrockeTT
05-07-2007, 9:29 AM
can we make this post, or a link to, a sticky on all the major sub-forums? since the forum re-org, there's a good chance not everyone is aware of this "Current Legal Cases" section.

GunOwner
05-07-2007, 9:34 AM
Guys,

-Gene

What I was suggesting is setting up a fund to deal solely with gun charges and setting up the rules ahead of the game so no administrator is required to make a judgement call. Have the lawyers analyze what the law is regarding OLL builds - set out those rules (OLL + maglock/Bullet button or Monster Grip) then folks contribute. If a contributor gets in trouble for a gun that follows those rules (because a DA or Leo is not as versed on the law) then the defense is ready - can reuse much of the work done in a previous case. I was also suggesting that coordination with the lawyers on the reuse of work, setting up the rules and holding the funds in trust would be good and bringing in the NRA if possible (and ACLU as given the MySpace element this might be contrued as a free speech related matter - certainly will "chill" most discussion of gun hobbies from this point on).

A lot of time is spent on this board trying to figure out how to comply with the law (it shouldn't be that hard but that's another discussion). We do so because we want to be law abiding citizens - to the extent we are within the law we should not be "punished" by having to drain our retirement accounts to defend ourselves when we know we are complying with the law just because a LEO or DA hasn't gotten as updated on this issue (BTW the VAST majority of DAs and LEOs are well meaning but overworked so they don't have the time to be up on every issue).

Just my 2 cents

This isn't a new problem:

"Both the oligarch and Tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." --Aristotle

Kestryll
05-07-2007, 9:38 AM
can we make this post, or a link to, a sticky on all the major sub-forums? since the forum re-org, there's a good chance not everyone is aware of this "Current Legal Cases" section.

Good idea, it is now the current 'Announcement' in all forums.

SunriseF150
05-07-2007, 9:38 AM
I'll send a check out when I get paid here by the end of the week. I'll PM the info when I send the check.

Fjold
05-07-2007, 9:46 AM
Check's in the mail. Pm sent

Thrillbilly
05-07-2007, 9:47 AM
Check was sent today. PM sent

BLKTALN
05-07-2007, 10:11 AM
check outbound. pm'ed

guns_and_labs
05-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Check mailed and pm sent.

hardkore909
05-07-2007, 11:55 AM
I'd love to help out, but i have my divorce related legal fees and child support to pay. Im broke and selling all of my extra firearms toys to pay for it. Good luck on the fund. Wish I could help.

tmuller
05-07-2007, 1:14 PM
Time to pick a side boys and girls! Its the 2A - you're either all in or all out.
I'm in!

oaklander
05-07-2007, 1:29 PM
check & pm sent!

bobothebigdog
05-07-2007, 3:43 PM
Kestryll, do you know how much as been raised so far? Also, do you know approximately how much this would cost to fight?

-Bobo

WolfMansDad
05-07-2007, 4:33 PM
Thanks for the pm's!

We're up to $3,900.00 now.

Keep it coming. I'll update again in a couple of days.

WMD

GunOwner
05-07-2007, 4:43 PM
Have the lawyers given an estimated defense cost on the weapons charges?

five.five-six
05-07-2007, 4:59 PM
Thanks for the pm's!

WMD

pm going out now

$100.00 going out this evening

:)

Satex
05-07-2007, 6:34 PM
Sounds like a great proposal.

We need to (at least) have an ideea:

1. How much TMLLP is getting paid, even if only as future reference.

I believe that common attorney's rates are $250 to $400 per hour!

Intimid8tor
05-07-2007, 6:39 PM
Check and PM sent.

blackberg
05-07-2007, 6:42 PM
Sending check out tomorrow,
also Ill send $100 for each retail sale for at least this month at my Business, hopefully it will be a good month
-Blackberg

five.five-six
05-07-2007, 6:56 PM
well i hope you are selling cars caus if you are selling candy bars, well that will cost you a lot :) what are you selling perhaps, I can get you to contribute more :)

blackberg
05-07-2007, 7:14 PM
well i hope you are selling cars caus if you are selling candy bars, well that will cost you a lot :) what are you selling perhaps, I can get you to contribute more :)

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner! Guessed in on first try:D

spgk380
05-07-2007, 7:29 PM
Have his lawyers released any sort of statement about his innocence? If his lawyers released a statement saying that all of the ARs and AKs were legally configured builds, probably more people would pitch in.

C.G.
05-07-2007, 7:36 PM
Sent out a check today.

tenpercentfirearms
05-07-2007, 7:36 PM
Have his lawyers released any sort of statement about his innocence? If his lawyers released a statement saying that all of the ARs and AKs were legally configured builds, probably more people would pitch in.
I have to agree there.

EricCartmann
05-07-2007, 7:50 PM
yeah get his lawyers to write a statement... also set up paypal for us lazy peeps.. i will be home this friday so if no pay pal is set up then i'll write a check then.

i hope all this works out and man this is why i am so scared of CA that i moved out.

ghettoshecky
05-07-2007, 10:06 PM
check sent

Mr.RoDiN
05-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Wow dudes. I just finished reading most of the threads. I had no idea. I am letting you know I will be sending a check tomorow.

RingTone
05-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Mailed my check today

PIRATE14
05-07-2007, 10:25 PM
My check is on the way..........

Seems like I am always sending money to these guys.........;)

69Mach1
05-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the pm's!

WMD

PM Sent. Now it's starting to "snowball". I'll contribute again, for the lawsuit fund. :cool:

brownie168
05-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Message sent to WolfMansDad, thanks again for all your effort.

artherd
05-08-2007, 12:41 AM
As far as I'm concerned, Matt's done nothing less than go to jail for all of us.

I can buy Matt all the beer he wants *IF* he has any extra $ at the end of this thing, assuming he has any left (NOT DAMN LIKELY!)

gh429
05-08-2007, 1:19 AM
Sorry but is there anyway to get this on paypal? And of course a written statement by the lawyers would make me more comfortable to be a bit more generous.

tgriffin
05-08-2007, 7:13 AM
I agree we need a paypal on this one. I dont have printed checks. Is there a member who would be willing to accept paypal from me to send a check.

383green
05-08-2007, 7:31 AM
Check for $250 going out today; PM sent to WMD.

mblat
05-08-2007, 7:34 AM
I agree we need a paypal on this one. I dont have printed checks. Is there a member who would be willing to accept paypal from me to send a check.

You don't have printed checks? Do you have an electronic bill pay?

However if the only way for you to contribute is via paypal - pm me I will give you my paypal account and will write one more check with notice that it was your contribution.

BTW: check went out today.
And what in the world happen to my prev. post in this thread?

69Mach1
05-08-2007, 7:39 AM
I'm willing to accept paypal from Calguns members, than send a check (max at $1000) to WolfMansDad so that he can confirm that everyone's payment was accounted for, if that's OK with WolfMansDad. Then WMD can forward the check to the Matts attorney. Just PM me, and PM WolfMansDad with the amount you are contributing.

JesseXXX
05-08-2007, 7:43 AM
I'll send a check out Friday...

Kestryll
05-08-2007, 8:52 AM
And what in the world happen to my prev. post in this thread?

I show no deleted posts from you in this thread but post #53 is yours and still up.

PistolPete75
05-08-2007, 9:15 AM
my check has been sent via bofa online banking, and will arrive by the 15th.

mblat
05-08-2007, 9:47 AM
I show no deleted posts from you in this thread but post #53 is yours and still up.

Sorry, my bad... I could've swore it wasn't there.... I guess I am getting old...

huskydog
05-08-2007, 10:49 AM
I don't have a checking account, but I sent out a money order today and am going to try and send more out after payday.

1911_sfca
05-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Just sent a check for $1,000. I encourage anyone else who can, to do the same.

1911-sfca

proraptor
05-08-2007, 1:37 PM
man....I'm so broke right now but when I get paid again ill make sure I send out what I can...

I'm really proud of all the contributing members as I have met matt in person and he is a law abiding citizen just like all of us....

I am proud to be a member of the calguns family

aileron
05-08-2007, 4:44 PM

1911-sfca

I'm just sending out a check every week tell I reach something like that. About the price of one nice gun for Matt. Darn it sure is a bummer we couldn't of just had a nice big shoot and Q with tons of ammo with all this money, would of been a long weekend of popping endless amounts of ammo. :D

Maybe we can do that when he is free. :cool:

stevie
05-08-2007, 6:43 PM
Check for $100.00 out tomorrow

Michael303
05-08-2007, 6:57 PM
Check going out in tomorrow's mail...

Surfdog
05-08-2007, 7:06 PM
I am reminded of a quote that is at least somewhat appropriate to this case.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Great to see that good men are acting.:)

$200.00 check out for Wednesdays mail. WMD PM'ed

duenor
05-08-2007, 7:42 PM
bad judgement or no, I will not hang my brother out to dry when the wolves come calling.

pullnshoot25
05-08-2007, 9:22 PM
Has this been posted on any other boards or groups?

Mr.RoDiN
05-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Check is written and will be mailed tomorow!

JPN6336
05-08-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm a student so my check for $50 will be in the mail tomorrow.

TheMan
05-09-2007, 6:15 AM
Has this been posted on any other boards or groups? It is on ar15.com

383green
05-09-2007, 7:55 AM
Has this been posted on any other boards or groups?

It's over on 1919a4.com:

http://1919a4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8467

http://1919a4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8317

http://1919a4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8318

JimAmentler
05-09-2007, 7:56 AM
I will send a check next Monday. As someone previously stated, whether legally configured or not, the gun laws in this state are terrible. When something is legal in another state and not in CA based on cosmetic issues something is VERY wrong.

oneone
05-09-2007, 8:12 AM
A check is sent. Hang in there, mate!

Billness
05-09-2007, 11:58 AM
$250 going in the mail today. I may not post much here (is this my first?) but this is family business. Let's help our brother out!

C.G.
05-09-2007, 2:28 PM
It is on ar15.com

Not too many people seem to give a damn overthere, though.:(

tgriffin
05-09-2007, 2:49 PM
People, take advantage of Toolbox X's very generous offer: buy a U-15 stock from him this week and he will donate $50 to the BWO defense fund.

6172crew
05-09-2007, 3:05 PM
People, take advantage of Toolbox X's very generous offer: buy a U-15 stock from him this week and he will donate $50 to the BWO defense fund.

Wes at 10% is also donating $50 bucks for every "CalGuns" lower bought, this is a good cause and everyone thus far who has given should feel good about helping fight against those who would disarm Americans.

Semper Fi fellas!

SkyMag68
05-09-2007, 6:02 PM
dont hav much but i'll gave a lil somethin in support..

hoffmang
05-09-2007, 6:27 PM
I was going to buy a bottle of Talisker 18 year old.. lets see... thats $70 going to tmllp instead of bevmo.

That has the added benefit to the Calguns community of making your posts even more lucid :D

-Gene

chickenfried
05-09-2007, 6:53 PM
The check will be in the mail tomorrow............No, really:p

bruce_ventura
05-09-2007, 10:33 PM
I can support this cause. Bad judgement? Bad luck? Victim of a bad legislation? Who really knows? It really doesn't matter when you're the one facing off with the legal system and trying not to let it break you. This board has been an incredibly valuable resource for me. Matt is a part of this community. I'll send the check tomorrow.

Illegitimi non carborundum - "Don't let the bastards grind you down"

Stormfeather
05-10-2007, 1:16 AM
$100 check sent, will send more later this week.

69Mach1
05-10-2007, 6:44 AM
Now that it seems the 1919A4 related charges will be dropped (6 felony counts), this money will be even more useful. Again, if anyone wants to pay via paypal, PM me and I can help.

Riptide
05-10-2007, 8:13 AM
Check sent in support!

WolfMansDad
05-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Thank you very much! With this donation, my rough estimate of the total is now $7,350.00. There are some more checks coming in that haven't been counted yet, but this is the tally I have so far.

WMD

1911-sfca

olegk
05-10-2007, 2:39 PM
Can I send postal MO?
I have some rainy day funds. You know...

hoffmang
05-10-2007, 4:12 PM
TMLLP can take a Postal Money Order, yes.

-Gene

Peorth
05-10-2007, 4:39 PM
Thank you very much! With this donation, my rough estimate of the total is now $7,350.00. There are some more checks coming in that haven't been counted yet, but this is the tally I have so far.

WMD

That's awesome!!!

Was at the attorneys office this morning, dropped off several reference letters from schoolmates...also left a check.

:)

olegk
05-10-2007, 9:41 PM
Will send $100 tomorrow via postal MO.

gh429
05-11-2007, 1:44 AM
Any alternative payment methods yet (paypal)? Wells Fargo shut down all my accounts because "someone was attempting to hack them"... Won't get new accounts setup until next week says the branch...

69Mach1
05-11-2007, 1:48 AM
Any alternative payment methods yet (paypal)? Wells Fargo shut down all my accounts because "someone was attempting to hack them"... Won't get new accounts setup until next week says the branch...

PM me for paypal.
--Mach

Mirage
05-12-2007, 10:40 AM
I have been working out of town, and was shocked to see these developments when I came hear.
I am a little short on funds right now. I will watch for updates. I would really like to see some clarification on OLL builds.
I sent $200. this morning.
Tell Matt to hang in there,

Satex
05-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Check is in the mail.

drdanno84
05-12-2007, 12:54 PM
I sent out my $100.00 today to help Matt with his legal bills, hopefully he will
prevail with this legal mess!

aealong
05-12-2007, 6:51 PM
Hi, there is another totally ridiculous lawsuit by a judge against a drycleaner, suing them for $65 million for one pair of lost pants, and a defense fund was set up for them using paypal at http://www.customcleanersdefensefund.com/ and I just clicked on it, clicked the paypal link and donated to them. If you can set something like this up for Matt I'd be happy to click and donate (if you set this up already, sorry, just point me to the link). Thanks.

69Mach1
05-13-2007, 11:22 AM
The check for the Calgunners who paid via paypal will go out on Monday. If anyone else wishes to pay by paypal, PM me by tonight.

Pred@tor
05-13-2007, 3:52 PM
Sent 100 FRN on Wednesday.

Kestryll
05-13-2007, 4:18 PM
Just in case anyone missed it one the front page of this thread I want to call your attention to this. If you're looking to buy a lower and want to help matt, do both!

Wes at 10% Firearms has added this to his site on the limited run of ten lowers laser engraved lowers with the Calguns lowers.
UPDATE! The owner of Calguns is requesting that the $10 contribution to Calguns be instead earmarked for Matthew "Blackwater Ops" Corwin's defense. Ten Percent Firearms is going to honor this request and also earmark $40 additional dollars of the $170 price towards Matt's defense. That means for every one of these Spike's Tactical Calguns lowers sold, $50 total will be earmarked for defending one of our own.
http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com (http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=296)

Wes and I both suggested the diversion of funds to each other and agreed that this would be a fitting tribute and use of funds.

Another lower in law abiding hands and money for Matt's defence, kind of a double score!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/elrojo14/spikecal1.jpg

DJMAN
05-14-2007, 5:57 AM
Sent in 100 by paypal. Good luck Matt. Thanks for the info 69MACH1:)

StukaJr
05-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Mailing $50 check during lunch - not much, but I guess the strength is in numbers and hopefully any amount will help.

Best of wishes and successful outcome to Matt's case.

hoffmang
05-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Any amount sent is a good amount if its meaningful for you.

The number of folks really moves the dial.

-Gene

jmlivingston
05-14-2007, 12:03 PM
I hope to send a few bucks myself, but Friday (payday) is the earliest I can send anything.

John

luvtolean
05-14-2007, 4:51 PM
Maybe this was covered in another thread, I haven't been able to keep up lately, but I am more "concerned" with the CC stuff. I don't really care about the config of his rifles; all configs are Constitutionally legal, IMO based on Miller, after all.

I'll still send a check, as many vouch for his character, and as was mentioned before, if he was a thief he had the opportunity to take more money than a thief could resist on the group buy.

69Mach1
05-14-2007, 6:55 PM
Maybe this was covered in another thread, I haven't been able to keep up lately, but I am more "concerned" with the CC stuff. I don't really care about the config of his rifles; all configs are Constitutionally legal, IMO based on Miller, after all.

I'll still send a check, as many vouch for his character, and as was mentioned before, if he was a thief he had the opportunity to take more money than a thief could resist on the group buy.

What "CC stuff"? They didn't even charge him with that, did they?

C.G.
05-14-2007, 8:40 PM
What "CC stuff"? They didn't even charge him with that, did they?

Nope, I think it turned out they were credit cards of a friend.

Swirvin
05-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Check sent. Good luck, Matt.

Telperion
05-15-2007, 6:00 PM
Got paid today, mailing a check tomorrow.

Skammy
05-15-2007, 7:06 PM
Check sent

Smokeybehr
05-16-2007, 6:59 AM
I'll be sending in a check as soon as I get my first check. I just started a new job, so it won't be until 6/1 until I get paid.

SunriseF150
05-16-2007, 1:01 PM
My checking account is a little overdrawn lol. But I sent out a check today. My overdraft will cover it, and I get paid soon so all should be well. I'm glad I can help out.

thomye
05-16-2007, 1:38 PM
Yo B-Ops,
Good luck with everything. I'm sending out $100 today. Sorry it can't be more. As soon as I get my tax returns, I'll send another $100.

Fight the good fight.

Wondering if there's any way to get a running total of contributions made.

RossRinSD
05-16-2007, 9:12 PM
Has anyone posted a list of current charges he is facing?

69Mach1
05-16-2007, 9:26 PM
"ev. 900-1/99 DA Case 27397183 Page 7 Case No. GA069547

FELONY COMPLAINT

SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA

FOR THE COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES

| | |

| THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA, | CASE NO. GA069547 |

| Plaintiff, | |

| v. | |

| | |

| 01 MATTHEW ARTHUR CORWIN (12/11/1983) | FELONY COMPLAINT |

| Defendant(s). | |

| | |

The undersigned is informed and believes that:

COUNT 1 DISMISSED

On or about February 26, 2007, in the County of Los Angeles, the

crime of UNLAWFUL ASSAULT WEAPON/.50 BMG RIFLE ACTIVITY, in violation of

PENAL CODE SECTION 12280(a)(1), a Felony, was committed by MATTHEW ARTHUR

CORWIN, who did unlawfully manufacture, caused to the manufactured,

distribute, transport, import into this State, keep for sale, offer and

expose for sale, give and lend an assault weapon and a .50 BMG rifle, to

wit: 1919 A4, .30 CALIBER MACHINE GUN.

COUNT 2 DISMISSED

COUNT 3 DISMISSED

COUNT 4 DISMISSED

wit: 1919 A4, CALIBER MACHINE GUN.

COUNT 5 DISMISSED

wit: 1919 A4, CALIBER MACHINE GUN.

COUNT 6

On or about April 26, 2007, in the County of Los Angeles, the crime

of POSSESSION OF AN ASSAULT WEAPON, in violation of PENAL CODE SECTION

12280(b), a Felony, was committed by MATTHEW ARTHUR CORWIN, who did

unlawfully possess an assault weapon, to wit: CALIBER 7.62 MODEL MK 991.

COUNT 7

unlawfully possess an assault weapon, to wit: MODEL FAR-15, CALIBER 5.56

MM.

COUNT 8 DISMISSED

unlawfully possess an assault weapon, to wit: 1919 A4, CALIBER MACHINE GUN.

COUNT 9

unlawfully possess an assault weapon, to wit: MODEL GATOR, (AR-15),

MULTI-CALIBER.

COUNT 10

of POSSESSION OF A DEADLY WEAPON, in violation of PENAL CODE SECTION

12020(a)(1), a Felony, was committed by MATTHEW ARTHUR CORWIN, who did

unlawfully manufacture, cause to be manufactured, import into the State of

California, keep for sale, offer and expose for sale, and give, lend, and

possess an instrument and weapon of the kind commonly known as a SHURIKEN,

4 BLADED THROWING STAR.

COUNT 11

of POSSESSION OF A DEADLY WEAPON, in violation of PENAL CODE SECTION

12020(a)(1), a Felony, was committed by MATTHEW ARTHUR CORWIN, who did

unlawfully manufacture, cause to be manufactured, import into the State of

California, keep for sale, offer and expose for sale, and give, lend, and

possess an instrument and weapon of the kind commonly known as a SAP

GLOVES.

COUNT 12

of RECEIVING STOLEN PROPERTY, in violation of PENAL CODE SECTION 496(a), a

Felony, was committed by MATTHEW ARTHUR CORWIN, who did unlawfully buy,

receive, conceal, sell, withhold, and aid in concealing, selling, and

withholding property, to wit, MILITARY IDENTIFICATION, MILITARY BADGE,

MILITARY CHEMICAL SUIT, TACTICAL ENTRY, which had been stolen and obtained

by extortion, knowing that said property had been stolen and obtained by

extortion.

NOTICE: Conviction of this offense will require the defendant to provide

DNA samples and print impressions pursuant to Penal Code sections 296 and

296.1. Willful refusal to provide the samples and impressions is a crime.

NOTICE: The People of the State of California intend to present evidence

and seek jury findings regarding all applicable circumstances in

aggravation, pursuant to Penal Code section 1170(b) and Cunningham v.

California 2007 U.S. LEXIS 1324.

I DECLARE UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY THAT THE FOREGOING IS TRUE AND CORRECT

AND THAT THIS COMPLAINT, CASE NUMBER GA069547, CONSISTS OF 12 COUNT(S).

Executed at ALHAMBRA, County of Los Angeles, on April 30, 2007.

JEFF SPELATZ

DECLARANT AND COMPLAINANT

Steve Cooley, DISTRICT ATTORNEY

BY:

RICHARD F. SULLIVAN, DEPUTY"

RossRinSD
05-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Am I doopid?

He had two OLL AR's and an AK? And throwing stars, some type of gloves? And military issued equipment that may have been stolen?

The three gun charges should be no-brainers if legally configured. I had no idea the stars and gloves were illegal... I think a lot of us have military surplus stuff laying around.

Itz so easy to get into so much trouble...

hoffmang
05-16-2007, 11:00 PM
The only people that appear to be stupid here are the Police and the DA. All of his off list receivers are legal and the only question that remains is whether he had them configured correctly. My money is on yes as he extolled the virtues of his bullet buttons...

-Gene

R_P_Rizzo
05-17-2007, 4:52 AM
Check sent $100

Good Luck

autodoc
05-17-2007, 8:39 AM
instant $100 sent via 69mach1.

Good luck to Matt, good luck to us all.....

proraptor
05-17-2007, 9:39 AM
The only people that appear to be stupid here are the Police and the DA. All of his off list receivers are legal and the only question that remains is whether he had them configured correctly. My money is on yes as he extolled the virtues of his bullet buttons...

-Gene

At the ar15.com shoots his Ar's and AK were legally configured....If anything change between then and now I dont know but when I saw them they were legally configured.

ljg17
05-17-2007, 10:17 AM
The most serious charges remaining that I see are the gloves and throwing star. Were those found in his home or on his person? How many other folks in that county have been convicted of throwing star possession??

hawk1
05-17-2007, 4:21 PM
Check sent today to help Matt.

69Mach1
05-17-2007, 6:41 PM
instant $100 sent via 69mach1.

Good luck to Matt, good luck to us all.....

Thanks autodoc. Got yours too ibbryn. Anyone that wants to contribute by Paypal, please PM me, and I can help. All paypal fees will be paid by me. I'll be mailing another combined check out on Monday.

mow
05-17-2007, 7:14 PM
Check from me on it's way to TMLLP today.

jmlivingston
05-17-2007, 7:30 PM
Anyone that wants to contribute by Paypal, please PM me, and I can help.

PM on its way....

John

CaptMike
05-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Just sent my 100 to Matt via 69mach1 through paypal. Good luck Matt, we've got your six brother.

LtMike70

Thanks Tom for helping with the paypal.

ljg17
05-18-2007, 12:56 PM
The throwing star charge is BS. The knife has a handle and by the very definition in 12020 it is not a shuriken. I am truely suprised this charge is still remaining.
The SAP charge is also BS. The penal code reads "SAP", a SAP is a weighted baton. No mention of gloves are made in 12020. No definition of "SAP" is given period. If I have a pair of ankle weights are they SAP ankle weights? If I am wearing a pair of weighted fitness gloves like these http://www.spergloves.com/?gclid=CK__jeuOlowCFRuNYAodAlmJdQ How can I be charged with having an illegal weighted baton? This whole thing is stupid.

Thanks for this DRH, I was hoping that they were the typical BS charges that those who practice political dissonance get saddled with. Since you have been following closely was it a traffic stop??

JALLEN
05-18-2007, 3:47 PM
My check is in the mail. I'm sorry it has been delayed. We've been distracted by the imminent arrival of a granddaughter who finally was born yesterday.

It's good to know that we have attorneys who know what they are doing, family and friends, to help pull for us when undeserved trouble strikes.

Super_tactical
05-18-2007, 4:25 PM
Money going out today. Sorry as well for delay. Just got paid!

;)

StukaJr
05-18-2007, 4:37 PM
I think we need a new separate "beer and strippers" fund...

I'm gonna burn in administrative hell for this :)

acegunnr
05-19-2007, 4:04 AM
Just sent my 100 to Matt via 69mach1 through paypal. Good luck Matt, we've got your six brother.

LtMike70

Thanks Tom for helping with the paypal.

Ditto here.

AceG

69Mach1
05-19-2007, 6:53 AM
Thanks to all the great members who contributed by paypal:
1st check.
DJMAN
gose
USMC 2651 E5

2nd check.
autodoc
ibbryn
keyvkev707
jmlivingston
LtMike70
vf111
acegunnr
Ravenslair
Lohse
TACTICAL
Japedo
Richie Rich
psssniper

The check will be mailed on Monday. Thanks.
--Mach

Zebra
05-19-2007, 7:44 PM
Sent another check to mark the occasion...

don't hold back...

cause you woke up in the mornin, with the mission to to move, so I make it harder...

don't hold back...

if you think about it, so many people do, be cool man, look smarter....

don't hold back...

and you shouldn't even care, bout those losers in the air, and their crooked stares...

don't hold back...

cause there's a party over here, so you might as well be here, where the people care...

don't hold back...

Frank

redneckshootist
05-19-2007, 8:06 PM
I took all my copper and aluminum down to the recycler and made $350 I was about $150 away from rent for the month so I will send the other $200 to Matt

I sent $60 a week and a half ago and the check hasent been cash yet

TACTICAL
05-19-2007, 9:09 PM
Hey Mach,

Funds were sent and I left message with WMD. Hope it all comes together for BWO.

69Mach1
05-20-2007, 7:15 AM
Hey Mach,

Funds were sent and I left message with WMD. Hope it all comes together for BWO.

Tanks.:)
:tank::tank:

Richie Rich
05-20-2007, 7:42 AM
Mach.

Check your account. U got moneys.

:gunsmilie:

Sorry for the delay, finally got paid.

Ain't much, but I hope it helps.

69Mach1
05-20-2007, 7:55 AM
Mach.

Check your account. U got moneys.

:gunsmilie:

Sorry for the delay, finally got paid.

Ain't much, but I hope it helps.

Thank you. Actually it does help alot. We're up to $1200 so far. Remember, strength in numbers.
:79:

On a personal note. I was supposed to run that group buy but Matt stepped up and took over. And I'm the one who got the interest going on the 1919A4's. Hoping the Defense Fund will turn into the Offense Fund real soon.

aileron
05-20-2007, 6:35 PM
another check in the mail. :)

EricCartmann
05-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks to all the great members who contributed by paypal:
1st check.
DJMAN
gose
USMC 2651 E5

2nd check.
autodoc
ibbryn
keyvkev707
jmlivingston
LtMike70
vf111
acegunnr
Ravenslair
Lohse
TACTICAL
Japedo
Richie Rich
psssniper

The check will be mailed on Monday. Anyone else who is interested in donating via paypal, please PM me by Sunday. Thanks.
--Mach

Incoming $100 from EricCartman... thanks for setting the Paypal up Mach.

WolfMansDad
05-21-2007, 12:44 PM
We have passed the $10,000 mark and are still going strong. Total is now $10,705.00.

Congratulations and thanks to all who contributed! Also, special thanks to 69Mach1 for taking the lead on paypal.

69Mach1
05-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Incoming $100 from EricCartman... thanks for setting the Paypal up Mach.

Thanks EricCartmann. You're the 14th person who contributed for a grand total of $1300. Check has been mailed. Thanks goes to WolfMansDad also.

6172crew
05-21-2007, 12:51 PM
I tossed in $50 a week or so ago and as soon as I get my state disabilty check I will be able to give another check, this stime through Mach so he can keep tabs.

Semper Fidelis right.

JesseXXX
05-22-2007, 1:55 PM
Check sent ! :O)

Liberty1
05-25-2007, 3:58 PM
[QUOTE=HK fan;600803]sorry, I won't be sending $ until I at least hear how the guns were configured. QUOTE]

HK fan, You ever pony up $$$? or still sitting on the fence?

mcubed4130
05-25-2007, 5:01 PM
Electronic check sent. PM'd amount to WolfMansDad.

-M3

five.five-six
05-28-2007, 4:30 PM
what is the total now? perhaps you can update the first post periodicly with the running total

shark92651
05-28-2007, 4:40 PM
I received a thank you and some orange gun safe magnets from Trutanich * Michail, LLP today as a thank you for my donation. The magnets tell the police to STAY OUT without a warrant. Nice :D

hoffmang
05-28-2007, 4:43 PM
Hey shark. How'd you get a USPS that will work on a holiday exactly?

-Gene

Skammy
05-28-2007, 5:38 PM
Got my magnets and letter a few days ago :D

Richie Rich
05-29-2007, 5:21 AM
I used paypal to donate so my contribution didn't get sent directly to their office.

How do I get some of those spiffy magnets?

five.five-six
05-29-2007, 8:27 AM
hmmm can anyone post a pic.. I am checking th mail today

JALLEN
05-29-2007, 10:45 AM
I received a thank you and some orange gun safe magnets from Trutanich * Michail, LLP today as a thank you for my donation. The magnets tell the police to STAY OUT without a warrant. Nice :D

Mine came today, along with some very bright orange business cards, very, very good to have, suitably bearing Mr. Michel's contact info and sound advice on what to do until you get him involved.

The cards go in your wallet, the magnets go on your gun safe or other storage container.

NoTime2Shoot
05-29-2007, 11:44 AM
How nice, I just got the thank you at my business. Give's me the warm fuzzies. :)

shark92651
05-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey shark. How'd you get a USPS that will work on a holiday exactly?

-Gene

I wish I had that power - actually I finally got my lazy butt out to the mailbox to pick up the mail from Friday and Saturday :D

69Mach1
05-29-2007, 12:59 PM
One picture coming up:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/hkSONY996.jpg
Size: 4.5"x6"

AJAX22
05-29-2007, 1:01 PM
those look sweet.... now if only they came in a bumpersticker so I could put them on the plastic cases while on my way to the range...

69Mach1
05-29-2007, 1:02 PM
I used paypal to donate so my contribution didn't get sent directly to their office.

How do I get some of those spiffy magnets?

Richie Rich, I've got you covered. If you want some, please PM me an address you would like it sent to.

That goes for all of the other PAYPAL contributors. If you would also like some of the safe magnets, just PM me your name and address to mail them to.
--Mach

those look sweet.... now if only they came in a bumpersticker so I could put them on the plastic cases while on my way to the range...

When you get pulled over, just stick them to the side of the car.

WolfMansDad
05-29-2007, 1:04 PM

Superglue. Duct tape. Call TMLLP and ask.

C.G.
05-29-2007, 4:15 PM
I got mine today.:)

Knauga
05-29-2007, 5:40 PM
Got mine too, very cool.

aileron
05-29-2007, 5:52 PM
You know this got me thinking... I want something like this on my car doors and trunk. That says "attention police before searching car please call Lawyer."

Sad the days we live in now. I mean the fourth means what it means too. We shouldn't be going through this nonsense.

derek@thepackingrat.net
05-29-2007, 7:13 PM
I got mine! Very cool! I noticed that the letter was personalized and inked signed - not some copy. I'm definitely keeping one of those orange cards in my wallet.

redneckshootist
05-29-2007, 9:00 PM
I just recieved the magnets and cards today, also I sent an electronic check for $80.00.

69Mach1
05-29-2007, 10:05 PM
I have quite a few here waiting to be forwarded to the paypally contributing calgunners.:D
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/hkSONY1039-1.jpg

BLKTALN
05-31-2007, 7:50 AM
I have quite a few here waiting to be forwarded to the paypally contributing calgunners.:D
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/hkSONY1039-1.jpg

notice when the rights of people are breached.... it just make people more united... stronger than ever! good job guys.

westcoastr
06-01-2007, 8:12 AM
Check sent - I figure this is just the cost of doing business in cali. once you have this mind set, contributions like this, NRA, etc are fairly easy.

In fact I am pleading with others out there to sell off their never-used and unimportant firearms/accessories and DONATE to every organization out there. First it puts more firearms on the market for new owners and second it fills the war chest for political clout. Yes giving $$ might not give you the same warm fuzzy as applying the $$ to squeezing off of few hundred rounds that it could buy, yet it is necessary to ensure we will even be able to own and shoot in the future. Of course, we have every right to own 10, 100 or 1000 guns, but your "return on investment" in terms of enjoyment for each additional one goes down dramatically. Quality - not quantity. Wouldn't that capital be put to better use to ensure that the guns we own are FULLY functional with the features that we have a right to?

And while I'm ranting - hug an anti-gunner or fence sitter today and TAKE them to the range. oh, what the heck, I'll give a box ammo to the first five CALGUNNERS that converts an anti and gets 'em to join NRA/Cal rifle&pistol...etc. And if I convert my close friend, who is a flaming liberal LAWYER - you must write songs about me and tell stories about me around the campfire to your grandkids.

I'm a bit buzzed today as just placed my SA58 order

Westcoastr

Mssr. Eleganté
06-01-2007, 1:46 PM
I got my magnets today! So the cops better have a warrant before they try and open up my refrigerator now! :cool:

JALLEN
06-01-2007, 2:29 PM
I was heading in this morning, over the Coronado Bridge into San Diego, when I passed a car with Vermont license plates, a young man in Navy dungarees driving, and the rear bumper bore a sticker that said, in big letters "FREE MATT"

Could this be someone we know???

R_P_Rizzo
06-01-2007, 2:53 PM
I have been needing a good excuse to get a safe. Now I have one.

Scarecrow Repair
06-01-2007, 3:12 PM
I was heading in this morning, over the Coronado Bridge into San Diego, when I passed a car with Vermont license plates, a young man in Navy dungarees driving, and the rear bumper bore a sticker that said, in big letters "FREE MATT"

Could this be someone we know???

More likely he ran a dojo and had to go out of business.

Isi_man_ica
06-05-2007, 7:03 PM
Could some one PM me the update on what happened to Blackwater? I have been out of the loop for a while and he helped me out alot. And I would like to know what is going on and how to help.

Geoffkoop
06-06-2007, 7:21 PM
Could some one PM me the update on what happened to Blackwater? I have been out of the loop for a while and he helped me out alot. And I would like to know what is going on and how to help.

Me to please...I havent been here in a while and want to know what happened.
Thanks

Boomer1961
06-09-2007, 9:50 PM
Me to please...I havent been here in a while and want to know what happened.
Thanks

Yes, what is the scoop.

A legal fund so therefore charges of civil suit of some kind I think.

Details please, and post on first page for all future readers of thread,

Thank you.
:D

hoffmang
06-09-2007, 9:56 PM
Gents,

Search is your friend, but you can start here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56722

:xeno:

-Gene

JPglee1
01-06-2008, 7:35 PM
Wow I guess I was under a rock for a while or something.... I had no idea this happened to BlackwaterOPS... I feel bad, I wish I woulda known sooner....

Hope all is good now...?

J

USN CHIEF
01-06-2008, 7:41 PM
Yeah, everything is good now with BWO.

Satex
01-06-2008, 8:10 PM
Yeah, everything is good now with BWO.

I wouldn't say "everything is good", he lost several firearms and thats plain wrong. At least his legal "adventure" is over.

JPglee1
01-06-2008, 8:13 PM
I wouldn't say "everything is good", he lost several firearms and thats plain wrong. At least his legal "adventure" is over.

Yah I read the list of charges... what did he have like 5-6 1919s, an AK clone, a couple of AR clones... Im still reading about the whole debaucle...

Sucks for BWO... I wish I had an "extra" pre-58 long gun I could give him...

J

Mssr. Eleganté
01-06-2008, 9:06 PM
Wow I guess I was under a rock for a while or something.... I had no idea this happened to BlackwaterOPS... I feel bad, I wish I woulda known sooner....

Hope all is good now...?

J

Maybe you weren't under a rock. Maybe you got hit on the head by a rock and just forgot... :p

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=612324&postcount=95

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=612321&postcount=96

JPglee1
01-06-2008, 9:19 PM
Maybe you weren't under a rock. Maybe you got hit on the head by a rock and just forgot... :p

=

For those about to rock, we salute you.... lol :p

Well at least I got you to remind me of what I've posted...

I was prolly asleep at the wheel, or something. maybe I was high on life and forgot or some shiz...

Oh well, at least the ol boy isn't in a cell anymore. Pity about the bangsticks tho :(

JP over and OuT.

:TFH:

tacticalcity
01-06-2008, 9:21 PM
I have to assume that there is one hell of a civil law suit coming. If everything he owned was legal and he spent 20+ days in jail, lost a career opportunity with CID in the military and loss of security clearance (both may result in loss of income over the rest of his life), loss of standing in his own community (college, work and local area not to mention the entire country since this made the national papers) which will forever label him, and loss of personal legally owned property...that spells big bucks, right? If there is no civil penalty then how will the people responsible for all of this be punished. Nothing motivates the state to fire incompetent employees like a major civil action.

It is not like anyone aside from us and the NRA are doing anything to spread the word that he did nothing wrong. The media is ignoring it. The average Joe will still think he was guilty. Because in most people's minds to be accused translates to being guilty. So poor Matt is going to have this follow him for a long time. Sew the crap out of the DOJ.

Of course, knowing the way this country works there are probably laws preventing him from doing so. So they get to screw up his life when he did nothing wrong, and he probably has little to no recourse.

ke6guj
10-26-2008, 5:02 PM
Necrobump.

But this is still important as Matt still has a significant bill due.

small check sent.

dadoody
12-09-2008, 3:36 PM
Is Matt going on the offensive yet???

Matt C
12-09-2008, 3:49 PM
Is Matt going on the offensive yet???

Absolutely, I soon as I raise the $75k it will cost. Minimum. Did I mention I still owe $14k? So as soon as I win the lottery, it will definitely happen. OR you could win the lottery and give me $100K! :)

anthonyca
12-09-2008, 5:38 PM
Absolutely, I soon as I raise the $75k it will cost. Minimum. Did I mention I still owe $14k? So as soon as I win the lottery, it will definitely happen. OR you could win the lottery and give me $100K! :)

Man, that pisses me off!!!!!!!:mad:

dadoody
12-11-2008, 7:00 PM

They put you through all of this and you owe so much money for....BOGUS reasons. It upsets me a lot.

I can promise you absolutely that if I win the lotto, $100k will be coming to you ASAP. lol.

Still....it's not right. You're being punished for nothing. Aren't there any lawyers who'd take your case and work based on commission from the case?

Steve O
04-12-2009, 2:04 PM
One picture coming up:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j258/FIVESIXTN/hkSONY996.jpg
Size: 4.5"x6"

So what happens when a police officer reads that sticker, says you admitted to having firearms, and are now denying him access to check and see if they are loaded?

Matt C
04-12-2009, 2:19 PM
So what happens when a police officer reads that sticker, says you admitted to having firearms, and are now denying him access to check and see if they are loaded?

Nothing on that sticker says you admit to anything.

hoffmang
04-12-2009, 2:35 PM

The sticker is usually applied to a safe inside a private residence. 12031(e) doesn't apply on your private property.

-Gene

Liberty1
04-13-2009, 12:32 PM
The sticker is usually applied to a safe inside a private residence. 12031(e) doesn't apply on your private property.

-Gene

I've will drive with one on my car sometimes :) Still waiting for the t-stop. My recorder will be ready.

artherd
04-14-2009, 11:44 AM

1) The sticker admits nothing, "The contents of this container are private."
2) PC 12031(e) does not apply on private property.
3) As long as you do not further incriminate yourself regarding firearms - all fruits of any unlawful search will be suppressed.

DDT
04-15-2009, 10:43 AM

Surprised you can't find representation for this on contingency.

gn3hz3ku1*
04-21-2009, 7:37 AM
I've will drive with one on my car sometimes :) Still waiting for the t-stop. My recorder will be ready.

you live in your car? :) cute son btw

simple schoolboy
04-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Is there another thread about this incident?

*Edit* Through the glories of the internet I tracked down a basic outline of what the initial incident was. Curiously, the dozen or so threads regarding this case seem to neglect this. I'm curious as to how a warrant could be issued on such a flimsy premise.

Matt C
04-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Is there another thread about this incident?

*Edit* Through the glories of the internet I tracked down a basic outline of what the initial incident was. Curiously, the dozen or so threads regarding this case seem to neglect this. I'm curious as to how a warrant could be issued on such a flimsy premise.

As far as I can tell, warrants are VERY rarely refused.