PDA

View Full Version : This really adds insult to injury (Kushnapup)

daveinwoodland
05-13-2012, 2:24 PM
So while I did receive the bullpup kit I did not rate I guess to get the tee shirt. I guess waiting two years for the kit wasn't enough?

I guess I should be lucky that I ended up getting the kit at all. Even now I am not going to install it yet since I like many others do not want to remove the rear tang permanently and will find a solution before I do so.

Mesa Tactical
05-14-2012, 7:09 AM
What's the length of pull with the Kushnapup, assuming you cut off the rear tang?

compulsivegunbuyer
05-14-2012, 7:47 AM
Having to chop off the tang is poor design in my book. They should have made an extended recoil pad for people who do not want to permanently alter their gun.

djleisure
05-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Hey daveinwoodland, I'll send you the shirt I got with my kit if you really want it. It's pretty frickin' big (at least XL maybe bigger) and I don't wear gun shirts (or shirts with any logos, for that matter.) PM if you want it.

And I agree with compulsivegunbuyer, it really is poor design (and one that wasn't initially disclosed) to expect people to hack up their guns. Luckily I have spare limbsaver recoil pad sitting around, so I'm gonna see if I can get that to work.

djleisure
05-14-2012, 10:41 AM
What's the length of pull with the Kushnapup, assuming you cut off the rear tang?
I'm not at home, so I can't measure right now, but for me (I'm 6'2" and have long arms) the LOP could stand to be at least an inch or two longer. That's why I'm gonna keep my tang and figure something out, possibly with a spare limbsaver I have laying around.

I can measure later and get back to you though.

evollep3
05-14-2012, 9:30 PM
For me no prob cutting tang then again mines was already cut lol

daveinwoodland
05-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Hey daveinwoodland, I'll send you the shirt I got with my kit if you really want it. It's pretty frickin' big (at least XL maybe bigger) and I don't wear gun shirts (or shirts with any logos, for that matter.) PM if you want it.

And I agree with compulsivegunbuyer, it really is poor design (and one that wasn't initially disclosed) to expect people to hack up their guns. Luckily I have spare limbsaver recoil pad sitting around, so I'm gonna see if I can get that to work.
PM sent. Thank you for the offer!

Hopefully a soliution for the tang will be forthcoming, I'm looking through my supply of recoil pads, but I'll probably have to buy another.

hefedehefe
05-15-2012, 10:10 AM
:useless:

chad68
05-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Can somebody put up some pics of the exact issue? Is it just a matter of making a 1" thick 'hollowed out' butt pad spacer or something?

If so, that's a easy enough thing to make.

djleisure
05-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Look at the butt of the stock in my picture here. The tang extends about an inch and a half out the back. There are holes ready to secure the original Saiga butt plate, so the spacing would be the same as those. I had a spare limbsaver laying around and tried it, but it wasn't even close - I would need another inch in the thing and it would still probably poke the crap out of your shoulder when you fired.

Personally, I'm selling my Kushnapup, but maybe someone will come up with an elegant solution to the problem.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af189/dj_leisure/kushnapup/IMG_1795-001.jpg

13204u
05-16-2012, 8:58 AM
Look at the butt of the stock in my picture here. The tang extends about an inch and a half out the back. There are holes ready to secure the original Saiga butt plate, so the spacing would be the same as those. I had a spare limbsaver laying around and tried it, but it wasn't even close - I would need another inch in the thing and it would still probably poke the crap out of your shoulder when you fired.

Personally, I'm selling my Kushnapup, but maybe someone will come up with an elegant solution to the problem.

Assuming someone does come up with a recoil pad for this that would allow you to keep the stock tangs, how much would the length of pull be increased? I have to assume it would be a very large amount. As a side note, that is a terrible design feature to have people hacking off tangs that can't be replaced. :rolleyes:

chad68
05-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Looks closer to an inch.

Anyway, if you're using a buttpad that's about 1" thick already, like a limbsaver, you would only need about 1-1.5" spacer. So if you were planing on using a 1" thick buttpad anyway, you'd only be increasing the LOP by 1-1.5" more.

Can somebody tell me if the tangs interfere with the (I'm assuming there's two) two buttpad screws? If the screws clear those tangs, it shouldn't be too tough to make one.

I love tinkering with crap situations like this but I don't have one of these stocks or an AK.

djleisure
05-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Looks closer to an inch.

Anyway, if you're using a buttpad that's about 1" thick already, like a limbsaver, you would only need about 1-1.5" spacer. So if you were planing on using a 1" thick buttpad anyway, you'd only be increasing the LOP by 1-1.5" more.

Can somebody tell me if the tangs interfere with the (I'm assuming there's two) two buttpad screws? If the screws clear those tangs, it shouldn't be too tough to make one.

I love tinkering with crap situations like this but I don't have one of these stocks or an AK.
The tangs do not interfere with the screws. It wouldn't be too difficult to make a spacer, but it might screw up the LOP for a lot of people. I personally wouldn't mind it, though.

1970gmc4x4
05-17-2012, 5:35 PM
Are the tangs welded on? Normal AK's are just riveted on, you could buy an extra tang peice, and replace it later if you wanted to. I guess being able to switch between the two stock styles is cool, but it doesn't seem like your gun would be stuck that way forever.

Gurney
05-18-2012, 3:32 PM
" . . . but it doesn't seem like your gun would be stuck that way forever."

As many a gunsmith has told a worried customer, "It's only metal, and I know how to weld."

Mesa Tactical
05-19-2012, 10:49 PM
The tangs do not interfere with the screws. It wouldn't be too difficult to make a spacer, but it might screw up the LOP for a lot of people.

What's the LoP now?

Gun Smoke 762
05-21-2012, 11:12 AM
This thing is kinda upsetting I just got mine also. It has no shirt no rail and I just realized the tang issue. Think I will be putting mine up for sale if anyone is interisted.

djleisure
05-21-2012, 3:19 PM
What's the LoP now?
Ack! Sorry, Mesa Tactical, I totally forgot to measure when I had it installed and now I sold it. :(

I actually really liked the way it felt in the hands, the balance was nice and it felt solid. My biggest problems with it were the awful ergos with drum mags (I've always liked the Pancor Jackhammer and figured this is as close as I could get :) ) and no use of side-rail optic mounts.