PDA

View Full Version : Pleasant Hill Redux

Swiss
05-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Online gun business based in Pleasant Hill condo raises concerns

By Lisa P. White
Contra Costa Times
Posted: 05/12/2012 08:02:15 PM PDT

Just weeks after Pinole banned home gun sales, news that an online firearms business is operating from a Pleasant Hill condominium has gun control advocates calling for city leaders here to take similar action.
"It creates a public safety issue for the neighborhood, and that's why Pinole is against it and that's why we're against it," said Karen Arntzen, a Pleasant Hill resident and a member of the Contra Costa Chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

In October, the city approved Rico Tedjakusuma's request for a home occupation permit for an office for LNC Arms, an online firearms business. Tedjakusuma listed a condo on Scottsdale Road in the Tres Lagos North development as the business address on his permit application. A website for LNC Arms includes a picture of two handguns and a note that the site is under construction.

Read the rest here: http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_20612246/online-gun-business-based-pleasant-hill-condo-raises

wildhawker
05-13-2012, 1:45 PM
This appears to be nothing like Pinole in many important ways. Definitely this is something we should keep an eye on.

ETA: If someone knows or can contact this FFL, please pass along my contact info (http://calffl.org/about-us/contact-us.html) (bcombs at calffl dot org).

-Brandon

63 tango
05-13-2012, 3:24 PM
The Bradys are at it again.

Swiss
05-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Better bring the A game this time and keep the coordination offlist

chiselchst
05-14-2012, 2:52 AM

;)

. . .

4DSJW
05-14-2012, 5:46 PM

Hmmmm... I don't know how much public coordination hurt the Pinole issue but I do know that not reading or understanding certain restrictions, creative form filling, and a lack of clarity in the application, as well as some personal interaction issues, is what is what created most of the problems and killed off much of the local support.

Hopefully the Pleasant Hill situation is cleaner and has no baggage!

Drivedabizness
05-14-2012, 7:08 PM
My wager is that this time, the PH situation will be much different from Pinole.

There is historical support by the PH citizenry for the RKBA - beyond the last episode with the "ad hoc" committee.

Stand by for guidance from "the right people".

cmichini
05-15-2012, 3:00 AM
Being in a condo may work against him in this case. CC&Rs may restrict running a business from his unit. Should be interesting.

redhead
05-15-2012, 9:47 PM
My wager is that this time, the PH situation will be much different from Pinole.

There is historical support by the PH citizenry for the RKBA - beyond the last episode with the "ad hoc" committee.

Stand by for guidance from "the right people".

Perhaps the residents support the RKBA but they elect anti's like Harris to the city council. I do know that City Arms is very busy whenever I've stopped in for supplies. I'd like to keep an eye on this issue.

jdberger
05-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Being in a condo may work against him in this case. CC&Rs may restrict running a business from his unit. Should be interesting.

If so, it's a condo issue, not a City issue.

I'd like to encourage anyone interested in this issue to write a nice letter to the individual members of the City Council opposing efforts to restrict Mr. Rico's ability to run his business in peace.

I'll have some sample talking points a little later, but some should be:

An extensive investigation by the City of Sunnyvale didn't turn up any reason to restrict gun stores.
Efforts to restrict people's ability to exercise 2A rights have been frowned upon by the Courts, see Ezell.

lnc
05-21-2012, 9:36 PM

POINTMANDDT
05-21-2012, 9:54 PM
I have met many great calgunners here and I can tell you with complete certainty that Rico is one of them; he is good people. Some of you have met him and know he is a good guy. Let's show our support for him the best we can. I'm all for going out there and supporting his right to do business. I for one can tell you he followed all the rules and regulations to get where he is now and Brady is going to do their best to stop him. We really need to have each others backs on this one.

wildhawker
05-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Rico and I have engaged on this issue. I don't believe it's prudent to discuss the issue [in public] at this time; that said, it is his FFL and business and I'll ask for your support of him in any case.

-Brandon

puppy8a9
05-21-2012, 11:10 PM
So nobody shows up on our side. Helpful? Next council meeting is a study session.

wildhawker
05-21-2012, 11:57 PM
So nobody shows up on our side. Helpful? Next council meeting is a study session.

Bifurcate the issues.

#1 is the actual FFL. Here, the best possible outcome (for him) may require conscientious execution.

#2 is the likely Pinole copycat regs. Here, the community should go after it *hard*.

-Brandon

Decoligny
05-22-2012, 8:42 AM
So, basically they are saying you can keep guns in your home, unless you are an FFL and want to sell them, in which case, we don't want you to be able to have any guns in your home. :rolleyes:

Zachs300zx
05-22-2012, 11:52 AM
http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_20680812/after-public-outcry-pleasant-hill-review-home-gun

So looks like the Brady Bunch is hard at work again in Pleasant Hill. They seem to have protested at the entrance to this guys condo before the city meeting. Guess they had a better turnout this time.

jdberger
05-22-2012, 1:16 PM
http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_20680812/after-public-outcry-pleasant-hill-review-home-gun

So looks like the Brady Bunch is hard at work again in Pleasant Hill. They seem to have protested at the entrance to this guys condo before the city meeting. Guess they had a better turnout this time.

Saw that. It was organized by Karen Arntzen. Nice touch going after someone where they live.

Of course we can play that game, too we can make the protest personal, too. We can rally 20 Calgunners to stand outside someone's residence from 5PM to 7:30PM with placards and bullhorns to protest assaults on our civil rights. We can do it every Tuesday for a couple of months.

That would sure suck, but it would be a rational outgrowth of taking these issues into the realm of "personal".

Wouldn't it?

berto
05-22-2012, 6:30 PM
Occupy KA's sidewalk?

puppy8a9
05-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Occupy KA's sidewalk?

The only thing I have considered is signs, flyer to all her pro-gun neighbors encouraging them to come to support our side on this.

Too bad gunners have a bit more tact than to try to cause a person to be victimized like what is being attempted by them.

jdberger
05-23-2012, 12:19 AM
The only thing I have considered is signs, flyer to all her pro-gun neighbors encouraging them to come to support our side on this.

Too bad gunners have a bit more tact than to try to cause a person to be victimized like what is being attempted by them.

There is her place of work, too. Where she shops for groceries. Where she buys coffee. Where she gets her hair done. Her drycleaner. There are people who encounter her every day that don't know that she thinks it's better for them to be mugged or raped than defend themselves. They don't know that she is actively involved in promoting legislation that would accomplish those goals. Surely, they have a right to know....

...that is, if she wants to make this personal...

Karen. The ball is in your court.

bluenoise
05-29-2012, 3:55 PM
Another article on the issue:

http://www.halfwaytoconcord.com/in-pleasant-hill-activists-push-for-even-stricter-anti-gun-legislation/

Drivedabizness
05-29-2012, 8:15 PM
What we have here, is an interest group (Brady's) that represents a small minority of the citizenry (even in an East Bay town) who has willing partner(s) in at least one a) local paper and b) member of the Council.

Others will coordinate any future response but priority should be given to city residents who are well-dressed (no "combat" clothing), on-point, and respectful.

Remember the "ad hoc" committee sham? The Planning Commission ended up asking "what problem are you asking us to solve?" Commerce in arms is core to the 2A right incorporated under McDonald. Their own police Chief says the FFL in question is clean as a whistle. Why are they trying to "solve" a problem that doesn't exist? Why are they targeting a legit local business person who has played by the rules and jumped through every hoop? Given the evolving but very clear nature of 2A rights under a "reasonable person" standard, why are they opening up the city to potential civil rights liability when there are lots of bigger fish to fry?

jdberger
05-29-2012, 11:40 PM
What we have here, is an interest group (Brady's) that represents a small minority of the citizenry (even in an East Bay town) who has willing partner(s) in at least one a) local paper and b) member of the Council.

Others will coordinate any future response but priority should be given to city residents who are well-dressed (no "combat" clothing), on-point, and respectful.

Remember the "ad hoc" committee sham? The Planning Commission ended up asking "what problem are you asking us to solve?" Commerce in arms is core to the 2A right incorporated under McDonald. Their own police Chief says the FFL in question is clean as a whistle. Why are they trying to "solve" a problem that doesn't exist? Why are they targeting a legit local business person who has played by the rules and jumped through every hoop? Given the evolving but very clear nature of 2A rights under a "reasonable person" standard, why are they opening up the city to potential civil rights liability when there are lots of bigger fish to fry?

This has all the makings of a nice letter to the City Council.... ;)

Drivedabizness
05-30-2012, 2:55 PM
why thank you, Sir. :)