PDA

View Full Version : rent for mi-tier end shotguns?

high_revs
05-13-2012, 11:12 AM
for bay area/silicon valley calgunners, is there a place that can rent ones for youth/petite women but also semi-auto mid-tier end like benelli or browning semi-auto models (like benneli SS or performance SS models?). i was informed 16 gauge might be a good compromise for the SO (petite) to not get too frustrated not hitting anything and nothing less than 26". but i want her to try 20ga and some 22" or so barrels. this is for trap.

i heard of birds landing and cayote valley that have some youth models for her to try out. wondering if there are any mid-tier ones to try?

is it possible to try/rent for the actual purpose we'd use them, i.e. in action and not stationary like indoor ranges.

CSACANNONEER
05-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Proper fit is much more imporant than the little difference between 20g and 12g. She should be able to shoot a properly fitted and properly mounted 12g with target load all day long without any discomfort.

BTW, if you end up getting her a 12 or 20g 391, I've got a hard to find wood, youth stock for sale.

TZL
05-13-2012, 12:21 PM
If you go 12ga, try the beretta A400 xtreme

Very very low recoil, it's a gas gun with three shock absorbers

CSACANNONEER
05-13-2012, 12:37 PM
I didn't think that the A400s had anyway of adjusting LOP. At least the ones I looked at at SHOT didn't.

Ribkick
05-13-2012, 6:10 PM
Forget 16ga. Stick with a 20 for her. Gun is lighter and easier to handle if fitted correctly. 16's are very limited in selection.

high_revs
05-14-2012, 12:37 PM
that was in my mind also. i'm not ready to reload since i can't even get back on track to my pistol/rifle reloading. :(

for those that shoot the 20, how much difficult is hitting the target over the 12 given less pellets?

also, any thoughts on where to try out mid-tier shotguns like benelli and browning? (the "me" portion of the post :) ).

I got a responder here who is an instructor so that migth just be her b-day gift and try out shotguns for youth/petite folks.

Ribkick
05-14-2012, 2:13 PM
for those that shoot the 20, how much difficult is hitting the target over the 12 given less pellets?

I shoot both and there is no difference, basically. 1-1/8 oz. of shot is 1-1/8 oz. of shot, pellet count is approx. 390 (the same in both). The velocity of a 20ga is approx. 1175 fps and a 12ga is approx. 1220 fps. These are averages, of course.

TZL
05-14-2012, 3:25 PM
There is a buttstock spacer, the guns comes with the 1/2" installed and a 1" in the case, you can remove the 1/2" to make it shorter if you choose, or in my case I installed the 1" spacer

I didn't think that the A400s had anyway of adjusting LOP. At least the ones I looked at at SHOT didn't.

bug_eyedmonster
05-14-2012, 4:06 PM
Proper fit is much more imporant than the little difference between 20g and 12g. She should be able to shoot a properly fitted and properly mounted 12g with target load all day long without any discomfort.

BTW, if you end up getting her a 12 or 20g 391, I've got a hard to find wood, youth stock for sale.

OP, I would consider getting her the shotgun, I'd consider the 391 that CSACANNONEER has for sale. My fiance started shooting trap with one of these we borrowed from a friend. She got used to it within the first three trips to the trap range. She did very well with it off the bat, and she started to get frustrated with longer shots because of the smaller amount of shot. She felt that by the next trip out, she was ready for a 12 gauge. As CSACANNONEER mentioned, this is the most important thing at this time is to make sure the gun fits her properly, more so than with the 20 gauge for my fiance. Fast forward to now, and she's shooting a cut down Browning XS Ultra with adjustable comb and stock, and was fitted locally by Bill Martin. Gun shoots like a dream for her, she easily breaks between 18-23 out of 25 depending on how many rounds she shoots. She's only been shooting for about a year, but we both had a five month hiatus.

Jerry

AAShooter
05-14-2012, 4:23 PM
I am unclear what problem you are trying to solve (other than trying guns).

Petite/small folks may have several problems:
1) Just need a gun that fits (short stock/LOP, etc)
2) Needs a light gun because they lack the upper body strength and strain to control the gun.
3) Low recoil--heavy recoil is too abusive due to their light mass.

Needless to say, #2 can be addressed and will be less of an issue the more you shoot. Using smaller gauges don't always help in all these areas.

alfred1222
05-14-2012, 5:00 PM
coyote creek has citori's for rent, and they have 20 gauge models.

Barry
05-14-2012, 5:32 PM
High_revs,
Shotgunners are a friendly bunch.
Post where you live/shoot and see if you can wangle an invite to try some different toys.

An example might be my Son's youth sized Sarsa. It's a cheap 20ga with a 12.6" LOP but it weigh's in at less than 5.75 Lbs. Try beating that for a light weight 20ga!

All the best

Barry

high_revs
05-16-2012, 5:18 PM
thanks a lot for the responses. we'll be visiting cayote creek and at the same time get her lessons as a b-day present. i got a friend who'll be tagging along with us with his SO also since she's in the same boat.

pretty much all 3. :( i figure for 3, the lighter it is the more tendency for more recoil.
I am unclear what problem you are trying to solve (other than trying guns).

Petite/small folks may have several problems:
1) Just need a gun that fits (short stock/LOP, etc)
2) Needs a light gun because they lack the upper body strength and strain to control the gun.
3) Low recoil--heavy recoil is too abusive due to their light mass.

AAShooter
05-16-2012, 6:45 PM
thanks a lot for the responses. we'll be visiting cayote creek and at the same time get her lessons as a b-day present. i got a friend who'll be tagging along with us with his SO also since she's in the same boat.

pretty much all 3. :( i figure for 3, the lighter it is the more tendency for more recoil.

I think if you are trying to solve all three, you need to be looking a sub-gauges. The problem is less shot in the air so more tendency to miss.

BigDogatPlay
05-16-2012, 9:09 PM
Forget 16ga. Stick with a 20 for her. Gun is lighter and easier to handle if fitted correctly. 16's are very limited in selection.

^^^ This ^^^

16 gauge, while a pleasant shooter, is virtually obsolete in North America. Shooting it in any volume would require reloading to keep ammo cost down. I love my old 16 but I rarely shoot it because ammo is such a pain and I can't bring myself to buying another reloading set up for just one old gun.

One thing on youth guns .... if your lovely bride is seriously petite then a youth model might work out. Generally you sacrifice barrel length which isn't always a good recipe for success. Swapping barrels out, if the model allows it, is always an option. If recoil is an issue, mounting the gun properly solves nearly all of that.

Sub gauges, 28 and .410, are generally more along the line of expert's guns. I'd not recommend a new shooter going to a gauge smaller than 20 to start out.

The pro shop at Coyote Valley can definitely hook you up. Most clubs, the one I belong to included, has several guns in different sizes, 12 and 20, to use for finding what works.

CSACANNONEER
05-17-2012, 8:27 AM
I think if you are trying to solve all three, you need to be looking a sub-gauges. The problem is less shot in the air so more tendency to miss.

Sub-gauges? Do you mean like my Remington 121 Routledge? Or, are you talking about those big bore (in comparision to a .22lr shotgun) shotguns like .410s and 28g?

high_revs
06-26-2012, 11:57 AM
so SO and friends tried out sporting clays over the weekend. they all had run. they used a 20ga o/u with a 28" barrel. it had issues misfiring so they changed it midway but i wasn't around anymore so i dunno what they switched out to.

so for SO, i'm set on 20ga (she can handle it). figuring we'll go autoloader to dampen the recoil a little more for her instead of a o/u. she can handle a 28" but was struggling later, though in the group's experience package, they were all taking 10 straight shots at a tiem. i'm thinking 26" and i think i saw beretta have one.

csacannoneer, will ping ya if we go with the 391. not sure yet if 391, a400 or a remy (as a starter since she might not go as much as me). not sure which 391 also since there's 391 teknys and urika. but the teknys has a 26" to help her a little bit. i figure she can handle the 28". else i can shoot it too if she wont. just to make sure all is functioning now and then. :)

just go out and shoot more. :D

ouch1
06-26-2012, 1:59 PM
One place to check is Coyote Valley Sporting Clays (http://www.coyoteclays.com/index.htm).

All I know is that they rent 12 and 20ga shotguns for use there.

-ouch1

high_revs
06-27-2012, 10:34 AM
that's where we went.

ouch1
06-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Ah cool.
I usually shoot clays at Los Altos rod and gun on skyline. But I use and 1950's era bolt action 16ga.

-ouch1

Thefeeder
06-27-2012, 4:33 PM
At the top of the Shotgun forum there is the "Norcal Skeet Clinic"

The next one will be on July 14th

I have a youth 20ga for the kid and we will break clays...Gar-O-Tee

Keep an eye on the thread

high_revs
06-27-2012, 7:50 PM
that's on my list thefeeder. i've not been able to make it but the norcal skeet has been on my radar for a while. i only didn't go because the SO and friends did the experience package @ coyote clays while i was the babysitter. :)

but for sure, that's on my radar and hopefully make the next one.

stevec223
06-27-2012, 9:49 PM
for some strange reason i actually shoot my 20 ga. better than my 12 at coyote valley....same guns just diff weights..use two diff 20 ga. shells there...win sporting clays (1300 fps) on fast movers...rem game loads (1225 fps) on easier birds...7/8 oz loads just a hair under 12 ga. 1 oz. loads so dont worry about that !!!...have fun and look until you get a gun that fits and points the best for her....might want a 26 in barrel auto just because the reciever is longer on semis than o/u,s...gives longer sighting plane with less barrel length...be sure to ck browning and win sx3...alloy recievers and very light...not much kick...cheers...