PDA

View Full Version : Long gun sale to non-CA purchaser

thistlefly
05-13-2012, 10:13 AM
I've just sold a rifle on Gunbroker.com to a resident of Missouri. I know that I have to ship it to an FFL, but so far I can't find specific information on what I may need to do WRT California law.

I *think* I can ship direct to a Missouri FFL; I'm not sure if I need to complete a DROS or some other CA paperwork.

Can anyone offer definitive info on these questions?

Info greatly appreciated, thanks-

Bob

EOD Guy
05-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Unless you sold a registered "assault weapon", you can just ship directly to the buyer's FFL. Rifles are not registered in California yet and nothing is required of you as far as California law is concerned.

thistlefly
05-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Awesome, thanks for the confirmation! :)

Bob

littlejake
05-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Make sure you get a copy of the FFL license before you ship; and ship only the address listed as Premise Address. It's a federal thing -- came about as part of the GCA of 1968.

CSACANNONEER
05-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Make sure that the FFL will accept a shipment from a non FFL.

thistlefly
05-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks, all.

Mssr. Eleganté
05-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Make sure you get a copy of the FFL license before you ship...

Many FFLs won't send a copy of their FFL to non licensees as it isn't required by law and ATF inspectors often warn them against it. If an FFL won't send you a copy of his license then he will at least need to send you his partial license number so you can run it through ATF's EZ Check web site to verify his FFL status and address.

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

littlejake
05-13-2012, 4:52 PM
Many FFLs won't send a copy of their FFL to non licensees as it isn't required by law and ATF inspectors often warn them against it. If an FFL won't send you a copy of his license then he will at least need to send you his partial license number so you can run it through ATF's EZ Check web site to verify his FFL status and address.

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

I believe what you say, SemiAutoSam. Seems ironic. 1968GCA requires it. ATF warns against it. I suppose they think someone might photoshop a license -- which would be a big time crime. I've had 01's and pawn broker's send me their FFL. I've never transferred outbound from CA... makes me not want to do it without actually getting a copy of the receiving party's FFL. Oh, well, I'm not looking to do any transfers in the near future except at the LGS. (looking for a Glock) K/R Jake

ke6guj
05-13-2012, 7:51 PM
I believe what you say, SemiAutoSam. Seems ironic. 1968GCA requires it. ATF warns against it. I suppose they think someone might photoshop a license -- which would be a big time crime. I've had 01's and pawn broker's send me their FFL. I've never transferred outbound from CA... makes me not want to do it without actually getting a copy of the receiving party's FFL. Oh, well, I'm not looking to do any transfers in the near future except at the LGS. (looking for a Glock) K/R Jake

where in the GCA is it required that an FFL send a copy of his license to a non-licensee?

Mssr. Eleganté
05-13-2012, 10:41 PM
where in the GCA is it required that an FFL send a copy of his license to a non-licensee?

Nowhere. But I know you already know that. :)

Littlejake, the GCA only requires licensees to exchange licenses. If you don't have an FFL then the GCA only requires that you ship to an FFL when shipping to another State. The EZ Check website lets you verify that you are shipping to an FFL if the FFL gives you his partial license number.