PDA

View Full Version : Reloading literature?

The Electrician
05-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Want to get into reloading, but not for a year or so. In the mean time i would like to read some book and learn, before i pull the trigger and get a setup. So any good suggestions on books for starting out, or even dvds? Thanx, Joel

XDRoX
05-13-2012, 6:37 AM
The ABC's of reloading is good. If you have a kindle I believe it's free.
If you just watched a few YouTube videos you'd know how reload today. It's really not all that complicated.

Pick up brass. Resize brass. Put a new primer in it. Expand the top so a bullet can be easily placed in it. Pour some powder in it. Put a bullet in it.
That's pretty much it.

There are 3 types of presses.
Single stage presses that only do one reloading step at a time. Turret presses that do all the steps but only hold one round at a time. And progressive presses that do all the steps and hold multiple rounds, either 4, 5, or 8.

There you go. You know how to reload now.:D

RandyD
05-13-2012, 6:44 AM
This is a cut and past post from another thread on this page.

I believe any of the major reloading manuals will serve you well. I prefer Sierra's reloading manual, it has good explanations and has a section for every major cartridge. If you want to get a quick understanding of the basics, I recommend Sinclair's reloading Series, there are 8 segments and they explain bottle neck cartridges and straight walled cartidges. All 8 segments totaled are approximately 45 minutes in length. Here is a link to the first segmant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8VtjJ_XYDQ

I do some precision reloading and Sinclairs is the my favorite place to get precision tools.

Bill Steele
05-13-2012, 8:34 AM
Lee 2nd Edition or Lyman's 49th.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/7730

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/10641

$5 shipping on either or both (recommended, you can't have too many of these books).

skibuff
05-13-2012, 8:53 AM
RCBS website has a good basic guide http://www.rcbs.com/guide/ and also some videos.

SWalt
05-13-2012, 8:55 AM
I would suggest besides getting reading material just go to youtube and search reloading. Tons of vids and you will get an idea of all the basics.

Divernhunter
05-13-2012, 2:16 PM
I have all the books and hands down the Lyman #49 is the best.

AlliedArmory
05-13-2012, 2:24 PM
Lyman's 49th is what I started with and taught me everything I needed to know.

zenmastar
05-13-2012, 2:30 PM
Expanding what RandyD stated above, surf youtube. There is much in the way of good material and that form of media is much better over books.

johnny1290
05-13-2012, 3:25 PM
xdrox broke it down!

personally, I bought the abcs of reloading and it's ehh OK. I got more out of it after I got more into reloading than learning how to reload. it's only a buck on kindle, and you can download free kindle software for your pc. That's well worth it.

I've never tried the lyman manual. sounds good. I have a 9mm book that lists all the different manufacturer's loads, which has been quite useful actuall.

wtkaiser
05-13-2012, 7:25 PM
As I remember (it was a LONG time ago), I started with the Lee loader for .38 special. It's the hammer-powered neck sizer kit that costs some ridiculously small amount of money, even today. I read and re-read the instructions so I understood them, bought some Bullseye, some 158 SWCs and 100 CCI primers and followed instructions. I got away with it. BUT - that was before all the modern conveniences. Dirt had just been invented, as a matter of fact. Since then I have purchased several manuals and a couple of presses, as well as loadbooks and catalogs and a short ton of magazines. They've all been useful and a pleasure to read. So take your time and make sure you understand why you're doing what you're doing, and don't get too near the ragged edge, and you'll be fine.
Then go out and spend a ton of money on all the goodies you'll find a use for! ;-)

mnguyen84
05-13-2012, 7:35 PM
there's a free reload class every month at Field Time Sports and Gun store (14542 Beach Boulevard Westminster, CA 92683). I learned from watching youtube videos.

The Electrician
05-24-2012, 1:02 AM
Thanx for the info, think i'll grab the lymans, any where local that sells it?