PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question? Cane Restrictions

sholling
05-12-2012, 11:16 PM
I occasionally need to use a cane to get around (more and more as I get older) and I have a question. For years I used a Cold Steel City Stick (http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-City-Stick-Aluminum/dp/B004YWKYPG) I recently noticed that they've changed the design by replacing the comfortable stainless steel head with an easily damaged aluminum head and wondered if it's in reaction to some silly law that I'm unaware of. I called Cold Steel and they denied there was any legal problem with the steel head version and said that the switch to aluminum was just to lighten them up a bit. The shaft is unweighted carbon fiber and as I said the head is steel. So are there any legal issues with my cane? I really don't want to have to switch to an "old guy" cane. A search turned up a ton on clubs and batons and such but nothing on canes.

The only thing I could find was this but there is no lead. For now it's disassembled.
12020.17 - As used in this section, a "leaded cane" means a staff,
crutch, stick, rod, pole, or similar device, unnaturally weighted
with lead.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/313wHwNfNWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dreaded Claymore
05-12-2012, 11:41 PM
In California, this is NOT a silly question. :(

However, that Cold Steel cane is definitely legal as far as I know (but I'm not a lawyer). It's not unnaturally weighted with lead, it has only the natural weight of the material it's made of, steel. If you hollowed out the head and filled it with lead, that'd be different, but you haven't done that. It's fine.

ClarenceBoddicker
05-13-2012, 1:08 AM
You can use Malloy or tungsten alloy crankshaft balancing weight instead of lead. It's aprox 1.5 times as dense as lead. It's very expensive, but would be legal by the letter, but not the spirit of the law. Another thing you may want to use is a heavy wall aluminum pipe for a cane. Very strong & light weight. No chance of breaking either. You could have a solid weight inside with some oil or grease to lube it. If you had to swing it, the weight would add some energy to the impact. When using it to walk the weight would stay low.

sholling
05-13-2012, 1:18 AM
In California, this is NOT a silly question. :(

However, that Cold Steel cane is definitely legal as far as I know (but I'm not a lawyer). It's not unnaturally weighted with lead, it has only the natural weight of the material it's made of, steel. If you hollowed out the head and filled it with lead, that'd be different, but you haven't done that. It's fine.
Thank you for the information.

You can use Malloy or tungsten alloy crankshaft balancing weight instead of lead. It's aprox 1.5 times as dense as lead. It's very expensive, but would be legal by the letter, but not the spirit of the law. Another thing you may want to use is a heavy wall aluminum pipe for a cane. Very strong & light weight. No chance of breaking either. You could have a solid weight inside with some oil or grease to lube it. If you had to swing it, the weight would add some energy to the impact. When using it to walk the weight would stay low.
Thanks. I'm happy with it as it came from the factory I just don't want to run afoul of some silly law.

saki302
05-13-2012, 6:38 AM
I was thinking you could legally add weight with a gold head... the extra 'pimp' comes free :D

scarville
05-13-2012, 7:30 AM
Dreaded Claymore is right: It is not a silly question in California. AFAIK, the City Stick is perfectly legal. The stainless steel had is not "weighted" in the meaning of the law. However, if questioned by the authorities have a plausible reason for carrying it. Also, be aware that if you should use it in self defense it will magically become a "deadly weapon".

glockman19
05-13-2012, 7:33 AM
Looks a lot like my Bat Masterson cane

VegasND
05-13-2012, 7:34 AM
Good thread. I never thought I should worry about what my wife's cane is made of ...

scarville
05-13-2012, 4:22 PM
Looks a lot like my Bat Masterson cane
That is one reason I bought one!

I don't always need the support from my rattan canes so I was looking for good walking stick a few years back. When I saw the City Stick in the Cold Steel catalog, that old TV show with Gene Barry as Bat Masterson immediately came to mind.

ja308
05-13-2012, 8:43 PM
this is a very good product ,the carbon fiber constuction will support 500 lbs in the middle and cold steel tests the product for strikes to the collarbone area .

My version has a polished pistol grip head made of what seems stainless steel.
When the Mrs I visited Hawaii (No gun , no knife ,no leatherman) we enjoyed batting rocks ino the volcano with the cold steel cane .
A coat of black paint brought it right back to standard.
TSA has no problem with the cane .I beleieve if the rubber tip were removed it could double as a stabbing weapon . I kept thinking of wind pigs ,but never saw any .
If you like the stainless head better >I would bet Lynnn Thompson would find one for you.

Unfortunately a very desirable sword cane is illegal in cali .Many other states allow this effective self defense tool.
Hopefully the democratic legislature in cali will not read this thread and try to make only styrafoam canes legal

sholling
05-13-2012, 8:47 PM
Hopefully the democratic legislature in cali will not read this thread and try to make only styrafoam canes legal
They'll reduce us to licorice whip canes.

ja308
05-13-2012, 8:58 PM
They'll reduce us to licorice whip canes.

Yeah they will soon have enough stuff illegal to where they will branch out ,canes knives , ect.

They should just make self defense illegal -like in england . After all self defense changes the idea of fate .
A democrat (humanist) believes when it's your time it's your time .
Doesnt matter if lack of medical care did it (Obamacare ) or a democratic thug . Jackson/Sharpton constituents

Folks should read up on humanism and see if they agree with it's concepts .
Republicans are NOT humanist's ,believing every life is valuable and that persons worth is not based on wealth.