PDA

View Full Version : can an out of state FFL do a dros if they want?

atlas
05-04-2007, 3:10 PM
I seem to remember that the laws of both states have to be respected in transfers, so if some FFL wanted to does that mean a that if I was in Nevada for 10 days and the FFL was willing login to the DOJ dros website or whatever they could dros a gun for me and I could pick it after the waiting period.

I realize this is an unlikely event. I am more just interested if it would be allowable.

E Pluribus Unum
05-04-2007, 3:16 PM
I seem to remember that the laws of both states have to be respected in transfers, so if some FFL wanted to does that mean a that if I was in Nevada for 10 days and the FFL was willing login to the DOJ dros website or whatever they could dros a gun for me and I could pick it after the waiting period.

I realize this is an unlikely event. I am more just interested if it would be allowable.

One can buy a firearm in a state that borders his home state... if the laws of both states are followed.

FFLS do not want to mess with it.... they just refuse sales to Californians.

Librarian
05-04-2007, 3:58 PM
More directly to the point, an out of state FFL probably can't meet the licensing requirements of California PC 12071:12071. (a) (1) As used in this chapter, the term "licensee," "person licensed pursuant to Section 12071," or "dealer" means a person who has all of the following:
(A) A valid federal firearms license.
(B) Any regulatory or business license, or licenses, required by local government.
(C) A valid seller's permit issued by the State Board of Equalization.
(D) A certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to paragraph (4).
(E) A license issued in the format prescribed by paragraph (6).Remember, California does not want you to easily acquire guns. If it makes your life easier, it's probably forbidden.

Kruzr
05-04-2007, 5:36 PM
The out of state FFL also won't have a valid login for the Calif. DROS system and won't be able to access the system.

Mssr. Eleganté
05-04-2007, 10:12 PM
One can buy a firearm in a state that borders his home state... if the laws of both states are followed.

The "bordering state" provisions of the 1968 Gun Control act were thrown out in 1986. Now you can buy in any state if the laws of both states are followed. This only applies to long guns though. You can't buy handguns out of state without having an FFL.

FFLS do not want to mess with it.... they just refuse sales to Californians.

As Librarian says, out of state FFL's can't comply with California laws unless they get all of the other licenses, permits and certificates required in California. I don't even think California can grant a Dealer all of those unless they have a licensed premises in California.

Out of state FFL's can sell long guns that are over 50 years old to Californian's because those are...

A) exempt from the California law requiring the sale to go through a California FFL Dealer
B) exempt from the Federal law on selling firearms to out of state residents

Federal law requires this kind of sale to take place at the Dealers licensed premises.