PDA

View Full Version : night fishing

joodaman
05-04-2007, 10:43 AM
hey guys,
first time poster, long time lurker

im planning on going night fishing with my gf's dad, but wondering where a good spot is.

i haven't been pier fishing since i was in jr. high, and dont really know what the current rules are.

we were mostly looking at pier fishing, but i had a couple of questions. please bear with me, im pretty much a noob at this.

which pier is the best spot in the los angelesish area? i used to go to san pedro for mackeral
license is not required right?
any rules against night fishing from a pier?
best hours to go?
what to fish for?
best bait?

thanks for all the info

hung380
05-04-2007, 11:07 AM
It depends on the pier, some pier opens 24 hours and most open til 12:00am. Best bet I would try santa monica pier for some halibut fishing using dead anchovies or live smelt. If you fish off the pier, you dont need a fishing liscense. You can get more info asking these guys at these forums, www.bloodydecks.com and www.hookupsportfishing.com
Good luck and post your reports.
BTW, Best Places to catch quality fishes is to find some jettys around your area and most of the jettys open 24 hours.
Best time to fish is when the tide starts going up and you can find out by looking at tide charts online.
WELOCME TO CALGUNS

GlockComa
05-04-2007, 1:10 PM
Depending on how far you want to go. Santa Monica & Malibu seems good for Halibut. As well as some of the Orange Country beaches.

Depending on if your only going for mackerel you can catch mackerel off all the piers. I used to go to Redondo Beach Pier alot when younger to go mackerel fishing. Never used baits for mackerel haha I used a rig that had 7 flies on it and sure enough everytime I reeled back in I had 7 mackerel at one time. 7 mackerels feel like a small tuna hahaha.

I used to throw Diamond lures (silver lures) as well and used to get Bonita.

If you want to use bait anchovies or squid work good.

joodaman
05-04-2007, 1:19 PM
i think we are more than likely going to redondo

everything ive been reading online says live bait works best, but how do you catch live bait? one at a time? if so, i think id be better off using some frozen anchovies and squid.

any more opinions and info are much appreciated

hung380
05-04-2007, 1:44 PM
you can catch live smelt under the pier using micro shrimp flies or catch them using a dip net baited with bread.

Sheldon
05-04-2007, 10:59 PM
For live bait you can either catch them one at a time with a Sabiki rig of some type using bread or small squid strips, or with a drop net. For the drop net a lot of people will wet day old bread and drop some amounts of that mixture over the net while its in the water and wait for the smelt to go in a feeding frenzy, if you're lucky, over the net and you pull it up quickly and hopefully get a few. There are times the smelt are really hungry and you can get a bunch in just a few pulls.....other times they will stay away from the net and just wait till the bread mixture falls thru or drifts past the netting. Here's a site I like to visit for reports from pier fisherman.
http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/pfmb.mv?forum=&module=index&mode=all&row=0

Thrillbilly
05-05-2007, 4:24 AM
Its a bit far for you but I've always had pretty good luck at the pier in Ventura. I also have had good luck at the channel island harbor at night.