PDA

View Full Version : 870 express tactical 18.5 came without rail

8mmFMJ
05-12-2012, 12:06 AM
I purchased a express 870 "tactical" last year. I took it home and then to the trap range for some fun. I never really got into modding it but now i want it for home defense and am wondering why it has no rail or tapped holes in the reciever.

Im not into drilling and tapping it, was wondering if i should get a saddle mount or if they are a waste of time. Should i sell it and get a real tactical?

Sorry for the noob questions.

Here is the saddle mount
http://www.combathunting.com/SCOPE_MOUNTS-Remington_870_Shotgun_Scope_Mount.html

prc77
05-12-2012, 5:50 AM
run it the way it is,

aippi
05-12-2012, 6:17 AM
Do what prc77 said. Rail for HD? Think about that. You have a threat 20 feet from you. An optic on top of the weapon for that application is a hinderance and has no place on a home defense weapon.

Do not get caught up in all the tacti-fool mess some people put on these gun blogs. A serious fighting shotgun needs be keep as basic as it's mission will permit. The more you put on the weapon the less effective it becomes, the more for Mr. Murphy to screw with and the the higher the risk of failure when your A double S is on the line.

A side saddle is not required if you are in a situation that would not require you to go outside. If you have a situation inside your home that requires more then a few rounds of 12 ga your dead anyway. If you have property or outbuilding or could be required to go to neighbors assistance then yes, a side saddle is fine but so are pockets.

bsg
05-12-2012, 11:31 AM
keep it simple for HD.

jeffrice6
05-12-2012, 2:54 PM
a side saddle is fine but so are pockets.

Love it!

Invisible_Dave
05-13-2012, 1:57 PM
Ghost ring sights and a light (maybe). Optics are less then necessary.

snaggletooth
05-13-2012, 5:11 PM
Go with MESA tactical, not only are they of superb quality. They're a local company at that. I believe they offer a side-saddle rail combo

scglock
05-13-2012, 5:57 PM
I just got an 870 tactical and it doesn't have rails or a tapped receiver. Also, the magazine tube is a one piece 6 round magazine which I found odd. Usually, doesn't it come with a +2 mag extension?

Ribkick
05-13-2012, 6:50 PM
I just got an 870 tactical and it doesn't have rails or a tapped receiver. Also, the magazine tube is a one piece 6 round magazine which I found odd. Usually, doesn't it come with a +2 mag extension?

You got the "new and improved" model. You have one barrel choice and no extension choice. The original 870 will accept extensions and any barrel made for 870's (110 in total to choose from).

Ribkick
05-13-2012, 6:53 PM
Go with MESA tactical, not only are they of superb quality. They're a local company at that. I believe they offer a side-saddle rail combo

Yes and yes. I have the sidesaddle and rail combo. I'm not going to use it. I'm staying with iron sights so don't need the rail. It is of excellent quality. Guess I'll sell it at the next swap meet at my club.

Sicarius
05-14-2012, 11:30 AM
I would say a side saddle is a must and a light is a highly recommended option. Other than that, Red dots, ghost rings, though nice, are not very necessary for inside the home.
Kevin

Kenji8
05-27-2012, 9:16 AM