PDA

View Full Version : Moved to Vegas Transfer questions

650bail
05-11-2012, 9:39 PM
So I moved to Las Vegas for work but I will still we coming to the bay area for Work and family once a month. There isnt a Calguns down here and NO AK building parties (because everyone wants to do it for profit). Lame.
My question: how does a firearm transfer work between a California and a NV resident? Should I keep a California ID card and get a NV drivers license since technically one could argue that I reside in both states? Thanks

Quiet
05-11-2012, 9:55 PM
Federal laws prohibits the transfer of firearms between non-licensed residents of different states unless the transfer is done through a FFL dealer in the recipiant's state of residence.

CA resident selling to NV resident = firearm gets transfered through a NV FFL dealer.
NV resident selling to CA resident = firearm gets transfered through a CA FFL dealer.

nicki
05-11-2012, 11:26 PM
First there are members of this forum who are in Vegas, hopefully you can connect.

As far as builds, when you build your own gun as in the build parties, where is the transfer?

As far as buying guns, in Nevada you have far more selection than you will here.

At the gun shows in Vegas you can actually buy guns, wow, what a concept.

The bad thing for you is you will have to get a Nevada CCW permit since as a Nevada resident they won't recognize you carrying on a Arizona or other permit.

The good thing is since Nevada has no state income tax, you may have extra money to buy guns.

Of course Nevada is shall issue.;)

Remember that if you buy any pistols that you will have to get neutered 10 round mags for them if you take them on your travels to the bay area.

Nicki

littlejake
05-12-2012, 5:42 AM
There is no dual residency. You can get a seasonal NV ID; but you would not be a resident; and could not buy a gun in NV. If you elected to become a NV resident, you have to surrender your CA ID and CA DL to NV DMV. Also, you would have to sever all financial and property ties with CA -- else you would have to pay CA non-resident income tax. Everything has to be switched over to NV to be a non-CA resident as CA is broke and wants your tax money. Las Vegas is in Clark County and they have a few restrictions not found in free state NV. You have to register you handguns with the police and obtain a blue card for each of them.

Now, if you were going to Nye county, you can open carry there.

From you original post, it sounds like you are remaining a CA resident as you will be returning on a routine schedule for work and family. You can get the seasonal resident ID card. But, it does not help in terms of guns.

uyoga
05-12-2012, 9:29 AM
Congratulations on your move to a free state.

FYI try this forum: http://www.nevadashooters.com/index.php

microwaveguy
05-12-2012, 9:59 AM
Hummm... I thought that Nevada now honored the Arizona permit ? :D

http://www.azdps.gov/services/concealed_weapons/reciprocity/

Also thought that the seasonal ID card stopped being used / issued a few years ago ? :confused:

Burbur
05-12-2012, 11:52 AM
For multiple reasons, I would suggest surrendering CA citizenship and claim you NV residence as primary. If you ever "move" back in with your family, it works almost as easy the other way.

johnthomas
05-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Registration and Demonstration
The state of Nevada does not require that firearms be registered but residents of Clark County must register their concealed weapons with the Clark County law enforcement agency.

To read the rest, go to the link.

http://statelaws.net/Nevada-Gun-Laws.php

Here is a group you may want to sign up with.
http://www.nevadashooters.com/index.php?

Rossi357
05-12-2012, 12:42 PM
There is no dual residency. You can get a seasonal NV ID; but you would not be a resident; and could not buy a gun in NV. If you elected to become a NV resident, you have to surrender your CA ID and CA DL to NV DMV. Also, you would have to sever all financial and property ties with CA -- else you would have to pay CA non-resident income tax. Everything has to be switched over to NV to be a non-CA resident as CA is broke and wants your tax money. Las Vegas is in Clark County and they have a few restrictions not found in free state NV. You have to register you handguns with the police and obtain a blue card for each of them.

Now, if you were going to Nye county, you can open carry there.

From you original post, it sounds like you are remaining a CA resident as you will be returning on a routine schedule for work and family. You can get the seasonal resident ID card. But, it does not help in terms of guns.

You can LOC in any county in Nevada without a permit with some location restrictions. You need a permit to concealed carry. They issue non res LTC's, also. I LOC all the time when I visit in Clark County. They have state preemption with the exception of the registeration requirement in Clark County.

littlejake
05-12-2012, 1:09 PM

Also thought that the seasonal ID card stopped being used / issued a few years ago ? :confused:

NV does recognize the AZ CCW permit.

NV still issues a seasonal resident id card.

http://www.dmvnv.com/idcards.htm

Decoligny
05-12-2012, 2:53 PM

Nevada recognizes AZ pemits held by non-Nevada residents. Once you become a resident of Nevada, they don't recognize you out of state permit.

**** NRS 202.3688 *Circumstances in which holder of permit issued by another state may carry concealed firearm in this State; holder of permit issued by another state subject to same restrictions and requirements as holder of permit issued in this State.
**** 1. *Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may carry a concealed firearm in this State in accordance with the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.
**** 2. *A person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may not carry a concealed firearm in this State if the person:
**** (a) Becomes a resident of this State; and
**** (b) Has not been issued a permit from the sheriff of the county in which he or she resides within 60 days after becoming a resident of this State.
**** 3. *A person who carries a concealed firearm pursuant to this section is subject to the same legal restrictions and requirements imposed upon a person who has been issued a permit by a sheriff in this State.
**** (Added to NRS by 2007, 3150)

650bail
05-12-2012, 6:46 PM
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I will be relinquishing my CA residency. I just wish there was a calguns down here. I don't WANT to pay retail markup for a SGL21 I want to buy one a Calgunner shot 3 times and put in his safe.
On the plus side, I found an awesome Krav Maga gym with includes weapons and entry classes as part of the curriculum and trains SF and other high speed low drag divisions of the military. I have a front sight diamond membership and a hot girlfriend who supports my shoootin and wheelin habits. Life is good, overall. Thanks for the advice fellas.

Ryan

NiteQwill
05-12-2012, 7:10 PM
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I will be relinquishing my CA residency. I just wish there was a calguns down here. I don't WANT to retail markup for a SGL21 I want to buy one a Calgunner shot 3 times and put in his safe.
On the plus side, I found an awesome Krav Maga gym with includes weapons and entry classes as part of the curriculum and trains SF and other high speed low drag divisions of the military. I have a front sight diamond membership and a hot girlfriend who supports my shoootin and wheelin habits. Life is good, overall. Thanks for the advice fellas.

Ryan

There is: Nevada Shooters

Have fun and enjoy the summers! ;)

VegasND
05-12-2012, 7:41 PM
You're not alone is wishing there was a forum similar to Calguns.
... I just wish there was a calguns down here...
Unfortunate truth.
There is: Nevada Shooters

650bail
05-12-2012, 7:57 PM
Thanks for sounding off VegasND. Maybe our paths will cross. Joining the boulder city gun club soon as well.

Yeah the summers here are hell but I've got misters and a cold tub in the backyard.

Quiet
05-12-2012, 9:52 PM

As littlejack pointed out, NV still issues Seasonal Resident IDs.

However, what happened a few years ago was that NV DPS started instructing NV FFL dealers that the NV Seasonal Resident ID was not proof of NV residency in order to do a firearm transfer. This was a reminder that per NV state law [NRS 483.141], seasonal residents of NV are not residents of NV. Therefore, they are treated as non-residents of NV for the purpose of firearm transfers.

Nevada Revised Statue 483.141
1. “Resident” includes, but is not limited to, a person:
(a) Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
(b) Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this State, as the home state of such vehicles.
(c) Who physically resides in this State and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this State.
(d) Who declares that he or she is a resident of this State to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this State.
2. The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.
3. The provisions of this section do not apply to drivers of vehicles operated in this State under the provisions of NRS 482.385, 482.390, 482.395 or 706.801 to 706.861, inclusive.

morrcarr67
05-13-2012, 5:27 AM

However, what happened a few years ago was that NV DPS started instructing NV FFL dealers that the NV Seasonal Resident ID was not proof of NV residency in order to do a firearm transfer. This was a reminder that per NV state law [NRS 483.141], seasonal residents of NV are not residents of NV. Therefore, they are treated as non-residents of NV for the purpose of firearm transfers.

(b) Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this State, as the home state of such vehicles.
(c) Who physically resides in this State and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this State.
(d) Who declares that he or she is a resident of this State to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this State.
2. The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.
3. The provisions of this section do not apply to drivers of vehicles operated in this State under the provisions of NRS 482.385, 482.390, 482.395 or 706.801 to 706.861, inclusive.

I have a question for you about section B.

I am a truck driver and I transport commercial vehicles. I tow a small car behind the vehicles I'm delivering. I engage in interstate business with my tow car and I am an independent contractor with multiple companies.

If I registered my tow car at the address of my NV C&R; under section B I could be a NV resident?

Gatordev
05-13-2012, 6:33 AM
There is no dual residency.

I know this doesn't apply to the OP, but the above isn't entirely correct. I find this is something that gets over looked here, despite the number of military on the board.

While it may not be a legal definition of of "dual residency," I'm considered a resident in two states. As a registered resident in FL with a current FL driver's license, I can purchase firearms in FL. If I want to buy one in CA (which I tend to avoid when I can since it's such a pain in the ***), I'm considered a CA resident with my orders and proof of residency.

As a result, I can purchase items and move them back and forth legally, as long as they're configured for CA when I'm in the state, all with out the need for a FFL.

morrcarr67
05-13-2012, 7:02 AM
I know this doesn't apply to the OP, but the above isn't entirely correct. I find this is something that gets over looked here, despite the number of military on the board.

While it may not be a legal definition of of "dual residency," I'm considered a resident in two states. As a registered resident in FL with a current FL driver's license, I can purchase firearms in FL. If I want to buy one in CA (which I tend to avoid when I can since it's such a pain in the ***), I'm considered a CA resident with my orders and proof of residency.

As a result, I can purchase items and move them back and forth legally, as long as they're configured for CA when I'm in the state, all with out the need for a FFL.

What you might be able to do and what is legal are two different things.

And, technically being a member of the US Armed Forces with papers having you stationed in CA by Federal Law you are only to buy firearms in CA.

While myself and many others feel this is wrong it is the law. This came up just a week or so ago and Librarian posted about it.

gunsmith
05-13-2012, 9:58 AM
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I will be relinquishing my CA residency. I just wish there was a calguns down here. I don't WANT to retail markup for a SGL21 I want to buy one a Calgunner shot 3 times and put in his safe.

Ryan

... maybe I should move south, northern NV has plenty of myob freedom but not much activism - Vegas has a good open carry movement ( see open carry org ) but nvshooters has one or two great members like varminter and a ton of alexjonestown refugees that are dumber then a brick.

Vegas is pretty cool as far as NV activism but you have registration, anti gun dems like assembly member Horne and afaik you have to drive far out in the desert for free shooting

littlejake
05-13-2012, 4:03 PM

(d) taken out of context could almost imply that a person who makes a declaration that they are a NV state resident is one. (Too good to be true.)
:threadjacked:

Gatordev
05-13-2012, 4:07 PM
What you might be able to do and what is legal are two different things.

And, technically being a member of the US Armed Forces with papers having you stationed in CA by Federal Law you are only to buy firearms in CA.

While myself and many others feel this is wrong it is the law. This came up just a week or so ago and Librarian posted about it.

I didn't see this earlier...EDIT...going through the links now. Interesting. Still reading, but I'm wondering if this is more of a big deal in a place like CA then other, more friendly gun states.

Decoligny
05-13-2012, 10:29 PM
I didn't see this earlier...EDIT...going through the links now. Interesting. Still reading, but I'm wondering if this is more of a big deal in a place like CA then other, more friendly gun states.

Not a state issue at all. If you get caught it will probably be by the BATFE, and it will be a felony charge. Loss of security clearance, just from being charged, and loss of military career if convicted. Don't mess around with this one, not worth the stakes.

Decoligny, TSgt, USAF (Ret)

Gatordev
05-14-2012, 8:06 AM
Not a state issue at all. If you get caught it will probably be by the BATFE, and it will be a felony charge. Loss of security clearance, just from being charged, and loss of military career if convicted. Don't mess around with this one, not worth the stakes.

Decoligny, TSgt, USAF (Ret)

Poorly worded on my part. The law is the law, I'm not arguing that, but my point was that in a place like CA and on a site like Calguns where everyone is very sensitive to ALL the various laws (in this case, as they pertain to firearms), I'm wondering if people here are more aware of the law (and find every little detail) than people in other states where as long as you have a pulse and don't beat your wife, you're good.

I don't mean that as good or bad, just what it is. I mentioned it in the other thread, as well, but again, may not have worded it well. Now off to the other thread...

Quiet
05-14-2012, 11:08 PM
I have a question for you about section B.

I am a truck driver and I transport commercial vehicles. I tow a small car behind the vehicles I'm delivering. I engage in interstate business with my tow car and I am an independent contractor with multiple companies.

If I registered my tow car at the address of my NV C&R; under section B I could be a NV resident?
IMO...
Contact NV DMV.

(d) taken out of context could almost imply that a person who makes a declaration that they are a NV state resident is one. (Too good to be true.)
:threadjacked:

AFAIK...
It's for the homeless living in NV and for them to obtain Gov aid.

dantodd
05-14-2012, 11:32 PM
There is no dual residency.

this is flat wrong. For purposes of purchasing firearms one may claim residency in several states. Unfortunately, because of 9/11, one may only have a driver's license from one state. (Real ID Act)

From the ATF website:

ATF FAQ (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html)
Q: What constitutes residency in a State?
The State of residence is the State in which an individual is present; the individual also must have an intention of making a home in that State. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United States is considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in that State and has resided in that State continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm. See also Item 5, “Sales to Aliens in the United States,” in the General Information section of this publication.

[18 U.S.C. 921(b), 922(a) (3), and 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.11]

Q: May a person (who is not an alien) who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a handgun in either State?
If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.

[27 CFR 478.11]