PDA

View Full Version : Canadians / Permanent residents owning Firearms in California

therealcanadian
05-11-2012, 10:15 PM
All,

As you may have guessed from my user handle, I am a Canadian living here in Southern California as a permanent resident (i.e. "green card").

I've heard conflicting information as to whether or not it is possible for me to get the necessary paperwork to own a gun. My record is spotless both here and in Canada. I had a FAC permit in Ontario Canada years ago, but it has long expired.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

NoJoke
05-11-2012, 10:23 PM
subscribed -

My mother in law is in the same category. She's considering a self defense gun but unsure due to resident status stuff...

Lived here 50+ years.

vladbutsky
05-11-2012, 10:30 PM
With green card you should have no problem buying any legal firearms in California. I bought quite a few guns when I was on green card myself ;)
So don't worry and go buy what you need.

halifax
05-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Valid CA DL or ID

Permanent Resident Card

Proof of Residency for three continuous months (utility bills are good enough)

Handgun Safety Certificate if buying a handgun

cebuvfr
05-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Welcome aboard! A permanent resident can purchase a firearm but will need the following: HSC (handgun safety card), proof of residence(last 3 months), California ID or DL and your green card.

elSquid
05-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I'd start off by buying a good 9mm handgun to begin with, followed by a couple of rifles and at least one shotgun. Then, next month, buy some more...

-- Michael

alfred1222
05-11-2012, 10:50 PM
I'd start off by buying a good 9mm handgun to begin with, followed by a couple of rifles and at least one shotgun. Then, next month, buy some more...

-- Michael

I agree with this

taperxz
05-11-2012, 10:54 PM
You need to have a hunting license.

Anchors
05-12-2012, 2:12 AM
Valid CA DL or ID

Permanent Resident Card

Correct. And they removed the three months proof for Permanent Residents, but it doesn't take effect until all the 4473 are used up (I'm serious lol).

No.
Only non-immigrant aliens (Visas) need either a hunting license or letter from the Attorney General of the United States.
Most of them get the license.
Permanent residences have no such requirement.

nullman
05-12-2012, 8:32 AM
Canadian permanent resident here... Just got a glock 17 a couple months ago. Same rules and process as everyone else except that I had to show my green card and the A# was written on the paperwork.

I understand some states require citizenship though (hawaii).

Nick

mapleleafup
05-12-2012, 8:40 AM
Welcome fellow Canuck!

Yes you can buy and own firearms with a green card.

JDoe
05-12-2012, 10:23 AM

Incorrect.

rimfire78
05-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Valid CA DL or ID

Permanent Resident Card

^^^ This

hoffmang
05-12-2012, 3:25 PM
ATF recently simplified the process to require less proof of residence.

-Gene

taperxz
05-12-2012, 3:46 PM
Correct. And they removed the three months proof for Permanent Residents, but it doesn't take effect until all the 4473 are used up (I'm serious lol).

No.
Only non-immigrant aliens (Visas) need either a hunting license or letter from the Attorney General of the United States.
Most of them get the license.
Permanent residences have no such requirement.

Thats right, thanks I knew it was something like that. I guess i missed the permanent part.:D

rideanddive
05-12-2012, 6:40 PM
I'm here as a permanent alien resident, I've been buying guns for over 30 years. I also qualified for my Utah LTC and am currently applying for my San Bernardino County LTC. San Bernardino County allows us to get one.

therealcanadian
05-13-2012, 9:10 PM
Outstanding! thanks all for the great information. Happy shooting.