PDA

View Full Version : Re-Blue a 'Browned' Mossberg action

Spirit 1
05-11-2012, 5:09 PM
Hi guys & gals!

Got a nice old Mossberg .20 ga made for Montgomery Wards many moons ago and called Model M550CD, that's actually a Mossy 500. It had been hacksawed to 18.5" but a buddy just gave me a new factory Riot barrel in .20 ga that I installed, with my old fiber optic sight that fit too!

This thing isn't 'blued', it's 'browned'! Might have looked good new but now it needs help from wear marks. Receiver looks to be aluminum. What are my chances of getting a good finish by buffing receiver down to bare metal and using a 'Hopee's 9 Gun Blue Kit' that I have?

I don't need Grade AA but I'd like it to look decent anyway, else I'd leave it as is, which isn't all that bad. Will it work, or try something else?

Thanks for tips!

WDE91
05-11-2012, 5:29 PM
hmm what about just having the entire thing ceracoated or duracoated??

Spirit 1
05-11-2012, 5:57 PM
Yeah, that would be nice! Speaking of, how's my credit, good old pal & friend?

The new Gun Blue kit cost me a fiver so it's more economically practical.

mikey357
05-11-2012, 6:24 PM
Hi guys & gals!

Got a nice old Mossberg .20 ga made for Montgomery Wards many moons ago and called Model M550CD, that's actually a Mossy 500. It had been hacksawed to 18.5" but a buddy just gave me a new factory Riot barrel in .20 ga that I installed, with my old fiber optic sight that fit too!

This thing isn't 'blued', it's 'browned'! Might have looked good new but now it needs help from wear marks. Receiver looks to be aluminum. What are my chances of getting a good finish by buffing receiver down to bare metal and using a 'Hopee's 9 Gun Blue Kit' that I have?

I don't need Grade AA but I'd like it to look decent anyway, else I'd leave it as is, which isn't all that bad. Will it work, or try something else?

Thanks for tips!

You can't blue aluminum. Birchwood casey makes a product called alumablack but its intended to touch up not do whole receivers. If you want a to it right go with anodizing. Cerakote or other gun paints will do a good job too. Brownells makes a product called aluma hyde that is supposed to do a okay job. The nice thing about aluma hyde is it comes out of a rattle can, you don't need a airbrush to apply it.

WDE91
05-11-2012, 6:27 PM
There is a hard annodizing run going out soon here in Southern California

Where are you located??

Spirit 1
05-11-2012, 6:44 PM
Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I thought somewhere in the back of my mind: can't blue aluminum...thanks for the verification!

I'm really pressed for bucks right now with some expenses coming soon, so I can't really do what's right I guess. It's liveable as is, mainly one wear smudge about 1-1/2" x 1" down to aluminum on top left front of receiver. I'll do some follow up on that Aluma-Hyde, thanks!

I'm sorta south-central. How much do you think it might be, ballpark, to get just a receiver section of a Mossy 500 done, BJ?

WDE91
05-11-2012, 6:50 PM
Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I thought somewhere in the back of my mind: can't blue aluminum...thanks for the verification!

I'm really pressed for bucks right now with some expenses coming soon, so I can't really do what's right I guess. It's liveable as is, mainly one wear smudge about 1-1/2" x 1" down to aluminum on top left front of receiver. I'll do some follow up on that Aluma-Hyde, thanks!

I'm sorta south-central. How much do you think it might be, ballpark, to get just a receiver section of a Mossy 500 done, BJ?

trust me the route Im going to suggest is better

Contact Roccobro
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=10100

he does batch run hard annodizing
just like the annodizing on AR15's
it is $25 a piece :)

Spirit 1
05-11-2012, 7:23 PM
Thanks, BJ, that sounds excellent!

These particular guns have the serial number stamped very lightly in small numbers on lower left of receiver flat. Pretty sure any of these spray-on epoxy or whatever would fill it up to invisible.

Really can't go wrong there on the anodizing at the price, sounds great. Thanks a bunch!!!

mikey357
05-11-2012, 8:01 PM
Thanks, guys!

The cheapest way to go would be with the aluma hyde 2. Its a air drying epoxy paint that cures in 2 weeks. Light sanding or blasting with alum oxide, warm part, spray in light coats and don't use it for 2 weeks.

mikey357
05-11-2012, 8:06 PM
Thanks, BJ, that sounds excellent!

These particular guns have the serial number stamped very lightly in small numbers on lower left of receiver flat. Pretty sure any of these spray-on epoxy or whatever would fill it up to invisible.

Really can't go wrong there on the anodizing at the price, sounds great. Thanks a bunch!!!

You can fill the lettering with modeling clay before spraying. Anodizing at that price is really good, I was expecting more like a 100.00.

WDE91
05-11-2012, 8:06 PM
The cheapest way to go would be with the aluma hyde 2. Its a air drying epoxy paint that cures in 2 weeks. Light sanding or blasting with alum oxide, warm part, spray in light coats and don't use it for 2 weeks.

the problem with buying chemicals online is the hazardous shipping charge you get knocked with

I will argue the BEST route is going to the annodizing route I suggested

I just calculated out what a can of spray would cost from Brownells and it would be $25 because of the shipping

so yes you will spend more than that for annodizing
gas+cost
but the results will be alot better :)

mikey357
05-11-2012, 9:53 PM
the problem with buying chemicals online is the hazardous shipping charge you get knocked with

I will argue the BEST route is going to the annodizing route I suggested

I just calculated out what a can of spray would cost from Brownells and it would be $25 because of the shipping

so yes you will spend more than that for annodizing
gas+cost
but the results will be alot better :)

Bjkearns, that is one killer price Roccobro has for anodizing. Is there any way to get in on getting a shotgun receiver anodized?

WDE91
05-11-2012, 9:56 PM
You will need to contact him
Justin is very helpful

shoot him a PM
I am getting 2 80% AR15 lowers coated
I have not had anything coated by him before but I hear only good things

Spirit 1
05-12-2012, 11:53 PM
He responded very quickly to a PM and gave me all needed information. Very helpful and straightforward, thanks much for the hot tip!