PDA

View Full Version : Perfect example of a concealed weapon stopping a crime without a shot fired...

HowardW56
05-11-2012, 8:04 AM
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A suspect picked the wrong person to rob when he pulled a knife on a man at a restaurant near Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Thursday night.

The would-be victim was a retired police officer, who responded by pulling out a handgun.

HERE (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=8657461)

vantec08
05-11-2012, 8:07 AM
LOL . . never bring a knife to a . .. ...

Army
05-11-2012, 8:24 AM
That's not a CCW being used. That's a priveledge sector of the population able to protect himself in ways most of us cannot.|

Substitute yourself in that same crime scene. What's the result now?

CalBear
05-11-2012, 8:28 AM
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A suspect picked the right person to rob when he pulled a knife on a woman at a restaurant near Cedars-Sainai Medical Center Thursday night.

The victim was unarmed, and responded by pulling out a phone and threatening to call the police. The suspect laughed, stabbed the victim with the knife, took her purse, and left her to bleed out.

HowardW56
05-11-2012, 8:37 AM
That's not a CCW being used. That's a priveledge sector of the population able to protect himself in ways most of us cannot.|

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A suspect picked the right person to rob when he pulled a knife on a woman at a restaurant near Cedars-Sainai Medical Center Thursday night.

The victim was unarmed, and responded by pulling out a phone and threatening to call the police. The suspect laughed, stabbed the victim with the knife, took her purse, and left her to bleed out.

I understand your frustration with the inability to obtain a LTC in most of California. My example was the result in this situation, the mere presence of the firearm ended the confrontation...

scarville
05-11-2012, 8:41 AM
Stop bashing on the cops! The government, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that the life of one of its enforcers is more valuable than that of a mere peasant and taxpayer. Now shut up. Go back to work. Pay your taxes. Be happy.

Farva
05-11-2012, 8:42 AM
I understand your frustration with the inability to obtain a LTC in most of California. My example was the result in this situation, the mere presence of the firearm ended the confrontation...

Maybe so, but your thread title is misleading. This is not a perfect example of CCW, it is a perfect example of one class of citizen who can protect themselves because of the job they do, or used to have.

HowardW56
05-11-2012, 8:44 AM
Maybe so, but your thread title is misleading. This is not a perfect example of CCW, it is a perfect example of one class of citizen who can protect themselves because of the job they do, or used to have.

Is that better?

Lives_In_Fresno
05-11-2012, 8:48 AM
Is that better?

you mean, except for "shot fried"?

jkjk

Farva
05-11-2012, 8:49 AM
Is that better?
Yep. :)

Farva
05-11-2012, 8:50 AM

jkjk

lololol. To much fun.

OleCuss
05-11-2012, 8:55 AM
I know of a person who heard someone trying to break into her house (way out in the boonies where the cops don't show up any time soon). She brought her pump shotgun up close to the door and racked the thing. No shot fired and no more attempted entry. . .

I'll admit to having heard of it working in the presumably bad guys' favor as well.

It may have been during the Rodney King riots but I'm not sure about that. But a couple of cops were on foot in pursuit of a bad guy when they went around a corner and heard a pump shotgun being cycled. They did not stop to see whether the shotgun was held by a bad guy or a good guy but beat an immediate (and wise) retreat.

Firearms can used by both the bad and the good. The bad will be armed, so the good should be as well.

RoundEye
05-11-2012, 9:15 AM
I agree the overall message is good that CCW prevented a crime without a shot being fired. However, it's too bad that equal protection had to go out the window for this to happen.

Meplat
05-11-2012, 9:53 AM

The same. I live in a free county.

CalBear
05-11-2012, 9:56 AM
Oh I know, I totally got that from the start. I just posted what I did to provide contrast with what the typical story is for defenseless Californians. Oh and about the CCW terminology, it's not worth getting upset over calling this a case of CCW. In fact, CCW means carrying a concealed weapon, and I believe it was Gene who told us this term originated in more of a police sense in CA, and thus pushed for us to use license to carry as the terminology for citizen's obtaining the ability to carry a defense weapon. This is a case of CCW, it's just not the LTC route most people have to go through.

HowardW56
05-11-2012, 9:56 AM

jkjk

:censored: DAMM TYPO!!! :censored:

CalBear
05-11-2012, 9:57 AM
:censored: DAMM TYPO!!! :censored:
Don't you mean DAMN? Jk jk :p

HowardW56
05-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Don't you mean DAMN? Jk jk :p

DAMMMMMMIT!!!!!!!!!

:43:

Lone_Gunman
05-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Don't you mean damn it? :p

Meplat
05-11-2012, 10:09 AM
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A suspect picked the wrong person to rob when he pulled a knife on a man at a restaurant near Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Thursday night.

The would-be victim was a retired police officer, who responded by pulling out a handgun.

HERE (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=8657461)

It appears the retired officer acted in contradiction of his training. I doubt you can be far enough away in most restaurants to have a safe distance between you and a knife wielding assailant. The (EX) cop should have shot him on the spot.

NoJoke
05-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Stop bashing on the cops! The government, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that the life of one of its enforcers is more valuable than that of a mere peasant and taxpayer. Now shut up. Go back to work. Pay your taxes. Be compliant.

Ya nearly got the reply 100% correct. :D

Neil McCauley
05-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Holy Crap! I was walking down this street shopping with the gf last Sunday, from Robertson to Beverly, to the Beverly center. This is usually an expensive part of town, no surprise this can happen anywhere. Now I feel vulnerable..

rero360
05-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Holy Crap! I was walking down this street shopping with the gf last Sunday, from Robertson to Beverly, to the Beverly center. This is usually an expensive part of town, no surprise this can happen anywhere. Now I feel vulnerable..

You're always vulnerable, especially when you are over at the house working on the remodel ;):D

But seriously though, good guy should have shot bad guy, perp is probably going to keep doing what he does, odds are in his favor of not encountering another armed victim, dead offenders are better than repeat offenders.

Neil McCauley
05-11-2012, 12:52 PM
You're always vulnerable, especially when you are over at the house working on the remodel ;):D

But seriously though, good guy should have shot bad guy, perp is probably going to keep doing what he does, odds are in his favor of not encountering another armed victim, dead offenders are better than repeat offenders.

How cool would it be if I installed a universal holster made of marble in the shower. It would be pieces of marble glued together to hold just about any size handgun frame. OR, check this out, it could be custom made from Aluminum rods and plate glass, same kind of glass we used on the shower door. I'd mount it right underneath the main faucet control valve, would look like art or something to hold a lufa or something. haha Wachoo tink? The polish lady would be like ...Vat iz diss?? It's for your glock lady.

johnny1290
05-11-2012, 2:58 PM

yeah its not exactly as safe as it might seem. He was lucky the guy just had a knife.

Neil McCauley
05-11-2012, 3:24 PM
yeah its not exactly as safe as it might seem. He was lucky the guy just had a knife.

This is the vicinity of the club "Guys & dolls" where the shooting of 2 people took place 2 years ago.