PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 with bullet button?

TrevHolland
05-11-2012, 1:27 AM
So, if I understand this correctly, as long as I have a 10 round mag, I can install a bullet button on my AR-15 and this makes it legal?

Do I have to ensure it's an off-brand lower, or can I simply convert the mag release button on my Colt lower? From what I've read, it sounds like, even if I convert my Colt lower, it's still illegal because it's made by Colt. But logic would suggest that makes absolutely no sense, so I want to ensure I'm understanding this correctly.

Thanks!

PanaDP
05-11-2012, 1:30 AM
If your lower is listed specifically, there's nothing you can do for it.

TrevHolland
05-11-2012, 1:33 AM
Wow...thanks for the quick reply! Also, I should have known logic didn't apply here. haha

Thanks for the info!

Rattlehead
05-11-2012, 2:41 AM
So, if I understand this correctly, as long as I have a 10 round mag, I can install a bullet button on my AR-15 and this makes it legal?

Do I have to ensure it's an off-brand lower, or can I simply convert the mag release button on my Colt lower? From what I've read, it sounds like, even if I convert my Colt lower, it's still illegal because it's made by Colt. But logic would suggest that makes absolutely no sense, so I want to ensure I'm understanding this correctly.

Thanks!

This will depend what kind of Colt lower you have, as Colt has released several California compliant models.

Since I doubt that this is the case, I recommend you do not post the exact model on an open forum.

Burbur
05-11-2012, 12:01 PM
I will assume that Mr. Holland left his firearms with family out of state and inquiring on the proper preparations to make before bringing them to his new home.

But to the OP, name or features an assault rifle makes, but only features can be mitigated by a fixed magazine device.

stix213
05-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Use the flowchart linked toward the top of every page on this site. It includes the specific list of banned makes/models and everything else you need to ask yourself to make sure your rifle is legal. Using a bullet button is one way to help make it legal, but not the only way.

j-rod
05-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Check the flowchart

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

IGOTDIRT4U
05-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Big question is, did you register it before the ban? If it is registered, then you need to do nothing.

If it is not registered and on the banned list, then stop typing.

If it is a non-list Colt like they are now selling, it should already be CA compliant with a BB in order for it to be sold to you.

If it is out of state, you can't being a banned Colt in, but you can change the lower to an OLL and use all the other parts, leaving the Colt lower out of state.

TrevHolland
05-11-2012, 7:19 PM
I will assume that Mr. Holland left his firearms with family out of state and inquiring on the proper preparations to make before bringing them to his new home.

But to the OP, name or features an assault rifle makes, but only features can be mitigated by a fixed magazine device.

You assume correctly. My AR-15 is currently at my parents' house back in Florida, where it is 100% legal. :) But I miss it dearly, and recently discovered this "bullet button" shenanigans that magically make it legal. :D

When I purchased it, it was listed as a "post-ban" AR-15. So, perhaps that makes the lower legal in Cali (assuming it has a bullet button installed)? If not, I am more than willing to purchase an off-list lower. I just want my baby back.

ColdDeadHands1
05-11-2012, 7:37 PM
You can have your rifle back for about $100. You need a new lower and a Bullet Button which can be had for about $100. Strip your rifle down, including the lower parts, leave the lower receiver in Florida, add your new off list lower and bullet button and you are back in business.

Make sure you leave your normal capacity (+10 round) mags in Florida too. You will need 10 rounders here in CA.

TrevHolland
05-11-2012, 7:46 PM
Unbelievably good news! Thanks for all the help everyone. And my apologies for not exploring the forum more before asking questions.

ColdDeadHands1
05-11-2012, 7:51 PM
I see you are a new member here. Welcome! I can only hope that you saw the "bullet button conspiracy" news reports that aired last week and had an epiphany that you could in fact have an AR-15 in California. If true, how awesome is it that the anti-gun liberal fools attempt to scare people will lead to yet another PERFECTLY LEGAL AR in California!

TrevHolland
05-11-2012, 8:01 PM
Actually, I was watching random videos on youtube. And in the "recommended videos" section I happen to see a video entitled something along the lines of "how to build a California-legal AR-15". My mind was blown. I thought there was no way of getting my rifle legally into California. I have my Glock here, and my (mostly useless) Ruger LCP. But I miss my rifle something fierce!

Smokeybehr
05-11-2012, 8:02 PM
When I purchased it, it was listed as a "post-ban" AR-15. So, perhaps that makes the lower legal in Cali (assuming it has a bullet button installed)? If not, I am more than willing to purchase an off-list lower. I just want my baby back.

Assume NOTHING. Use the flowchart, and don't fudge on the steps. If at any time you run into a red block, don't bring it into California.

There are plenty of CalGuns recommended and OLL-friendly dealers in the state that can help you out on building a lower that is compliant with the laws of the state.

TrevHolland
05-11-2012, 8:32 PM
Assume NOTHING. Use the flowchart, and don't fudge on the steps. If at any time you run into a red block, don't bring it into California.

There are plenty of CalGuns recommended and OLL-friendly dealers in the state that can help you out on building a lower that is compliant with the laws of the state.

yeah...at this point, i'm perfectly okay buying an off list lower. i want to be able to go to the range without any worry someone will attempt to take my rifle away from me.

ColdDeadHands1
05-11-2012, 8:45 PM
What area of the State are you located in? We can point you in the direction of inexpensive lowers.

TrevHolland
05-11-2012, 9:19 PM
I live in the Bay Area. On the peninsula to be more exact.

ColdDeadHands1
05-11-2012, 9:27 PM
If you don't mind a short drive to Ben Lomond, Robert will get you out the door with a nice lower for $122. I just picked up a few last week.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=523816

Ron-Solo
05-11-2012, 9:27 PM
Rather than stripping the Colt lower, leave the lower in Florida and get an off list lower (aka: OLL) for about $100, a lower parts kit for about $70, and the stock of your choice. Add a bullet button and slap the Colt upper on it and you are good to go, without messing with you original Colt lower.

It's a little more money, but when you go back to FL you could just take your upper. If the CA assault weapons laws are thrown out, you could get your lower and be back to a true Colt.

Just my $0.02.

TrevHolland
05-11-2012, 11:37 PM
If you don't mind a short drive to Ben Lomond, Robert will get you out the door with a nice lower for $122. I just picked up a few last week.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=523816

Thanks for the tip!

Rather than stripping the Colt lower, leave the lower in Florida and get an off list lower (aka: OLL) for about $100, a lower parts kit for about $70, and the stock of your choice. Add a bullet button and slap the Colt upper on it and you are good to go, without messing with you original Colt lower.

It's a little more money, but when you go back to FL you could just take your upper. If the CA assault weapons laws are thrown out, you could get your lower and be back to a true Colt.

Just my $0.02.

That's not a bad idea. It'll also be easier to tell my parents how to separate the upper from the lower. There's no way I can talk them through stripping the lower completely...haha. Dad has plenty of old guns, but nothing like an AR.

Ron-Solo
05-12-2012, 1:03 AM
By the way, welcome to CalGuns!

deter
05-12-2012, 2:40 AM
I can vouch for the awesomeness of Santa Cruz Armory.
Due to the formatting of my smartphone, every time I got a response from Robert on gmail, my phone would say

"From: Santa"

Hecks yeah! I love getting Santa messages!

Signed-
Over enthusiastic 20-something

PixelBender
05-12-2012, 1:21 PM
If I had a nickel for every time this question was asked...

:euro:

FABIO GETS GOOSED!!!
05-12-2012, 2:04 PM
Be careful, the law in this area is ambiguous, and there have been many arrests.

hoffmang
05-12-2012, 3:21 PM
Be careful, the law in this area is ambiguous, and there have been many arrests.

LOL. FGG is a clown.

If you're arrested and your gun is legally configured CGF will defend you.

-Gene

FABIO GETS GOOSED!!!
05-13-2012, 8:12 AM
LOL. FGG is a clown.

I'm the clown? LOL. What I said was lifted straight out of the lawsuit that you filed!

[T]he entire set of laws defining California Assault Weapons is unconstitutionally vague and ambiguous.

The CALGUNS FOUNDATION, INC., has defended many incidents of law abiding gun owners and retailers whose firearms were either seized, the
individual was arrested and/or charged with violating Assault Weapons Control Act.

Arisaka
05-13-2012, 9:08 AM
Snap.

eaglemike
05-13-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm the clown? LOL. What I said was lifted straight out of the lawsuit that you filed!
FGG,
Your comment contributed to the thread, or was just a snarky comment???

ETA: OP, replacement lower assembly is a good idea. If you don't want to mess with doing the assembly, LMT and others offer prebuilt stuff. You can get a pretty nice lower for $350 or so. Good stock, etc.

hoffmang
05-13-2012, 10:52 PM

You mean the one you like intentionally misrepresenting? The one that said either it's clear and law enforcement violated the 4A or the law is unconstitutionally vague?

I mean, the issues couldn't be simple, could they?

-Gene

wamphyri13
05-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Trev
Depending where on the Peninsula you live, for OLLs, you can check at
City Arms Pacifica
City Arms Pleasanton
Bay Area Gun Vault Mt.View
Valkyrie Arms Milpitas
and that's just for starters.
Ryan
PS- Welcome to Calguns.