PDA

View Full Version : Deer draw

caduckgunner
05-03-2007, 7:55 PM
So who all here is putting in for the deer zone drawing next month?

jmlivingston
05-03-2007, 7:57 PM
Not sure what I'm going to put in for, but probably one of the X9 zones.

John

Hunter
05-03-2007, 9:07 PM
I'm in as always.

Rob454
05-03-2007, 9:24 PM
Im in

edwardm
05-04-2007, 9:37 AM
What are the odds these days on actually drawing a tag for a "premium" zone, like X? I generally just keep to A and B zone and don't have to usually worry about getting a tag.

So who all here is putting in for the deer zone drawing next month?

caduckgunner
05-04-2007, 9:40 AM
What are the odds these days on actually drawing a tag for a "premium" zone, like X? I generally just keep to A and B zone and don't have to usually worry about getting a tag.

There is now a points system in place. Every year you enter and don't get your 1st pick, you get a point. When they do the drawing, I think 90% of each zone gets drawn on preference points, and the rest get drawn my luck of the draw. I think this lottory sustem is great.

caduckgunner
05-04-2007, 9:42 AM
Not sure what I'm going to put in for, but probably one of the X9 zones.

John

Ya I have been considering X9 zones also. We always put in for X6,X4,X3 ext zones way up north, but I don't have enough vacation saved up to take off for one of thos long *** trips.

derbyacresbob
05-05-2007, 8:40 AM
With the points system in place I am going for G3 every year untill I die or I get the tag. I sent ours in a few days ago. My son and I got drawn the first year they had the Kern River buck hunt "G6", that was a great hunt.

guns_and_labs
05-05-2007, 8:46 AM
Probably X7, though I've heard there's some good BLM land in the northern D zones.

HillBilly
05-05-2007, 10:58 AM
too bad NOT ONE STORE within 30 miules of me has licenses available. are there any alternatives to purchasing a licese at a local store?

Hunter
05-05-2007, 12:46 PM
With the points system in place I am going for G3 every year untill I die or I get the tag. I sent ours in a few days ago. My son and I got drawn the first year they had the Kern River buck hunt "G6", that was a great hunt.

We must have crossed tracks at some point as we also got the first year for G6....great hunt that was. Now I do the same as you (and the other 4000 guys!). G3 every year since they started the point system.

Hunter
05-05-2007, 12:49 PM
too bad NOT ONE STORE within 30 miules of me has licenses available. are there any alternatives to purchasing a licese at a local store?

Try this link

http://dfginternal5.dfg.ca.gov/lasweb/

Next year they will be available on the web.

jmlivingston
05-05-2007, 2:07 PM
You can also download an application from the DFG website, fill it out, and fax it in. That's how I did my hunting license + deer tag last year.

John

HillBilly
05-05-2007, 5:09 PM
Nice! That is what I shall do!

jmlivingston
05-05-2007, 5:45 PM
It saved my butt last year! ;) I forgot to mail my application in until the day it was due.

John

Hunter
05-05-2007, 8:52 PM
You can also download an application from the DFG website, fill it out, and fax it in. That's how I did my hunting license + deer tag last year.

John

Yes I forgot about this. But be aware that this really only works if you have not gotten your current hunting license yet. Otherwords, if you are just after say a deer tag, well you have to mail IN your current hunting license with the forms to get the deer tag application! Then they will send your license back to you with the deer tag application.

I ran into to this last year when I wanted a 2nd deer tag. I thought I would just do the mail route. Then I was told about this requirement but this was a week before season was opening....so no way was I going to send in my license and wait for the turn around!

ViPER395
05-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Where can I get more info on these deer draws.

Do I get to grab my usual D3/4/5 tag AND the drawn zone?

I don't get it, but the deer are pretty scarce in D5. Dad & I need some new territory. X8 would be nice.

....someone kick me a link

ivanimal
05-06-2007, 10:40 AM
I will be putting in for a group hunt in an X zone as usual.:cool:

tankerman
05-06-2007, 1:02 PM
Since the company moved me ashore I have to rethink my deer hunts. I just won't have as many weekdays to hunt this year:eek:

chris
05-06-2007, 7:00 PM
i will be putting in as usual and probably get a point not a drawn tag. so off to A-zone I go and whatever one other tag i can get.

jmlivingston
05-06-2007, 9:05 PM
Ivanimal, which X zone do you normally apply for?

I pulled a tag for x9A two years ago and x9b last year. Probably going to apply for x9b again, and put in for the San Diego muzzleloader as my #2 choice. I need an excuse to purchase and try out a muzzleloader anyways. :D

John

derbyacresbob
05-06-2007, 9:20 PM
viper395, you and your dad can both get a First-deer Tag Application and put in as a group for X8 as your first choice an put D3-5 as your second choice. If you luck out and get drawn for X8 then you can buy your Second-Deer Tag Applications and put in for your D3-5 tags. If you don't get drawn on the X8 tag they will send you a D3-5 tag. There are some great hunts available in California, they are hard to get but if you don't apply for the drawing you will never get one of them. The drawing deadline is June 4th, whoever you get your license and tag application from should have the Hunting Digest for Big Game, it has all the information for the drawing in it.

ivanimal
05-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Ivanimal, which X zone do you normally apply for?

I pulled a tag for x9A two years ago and x9b last year. Probably going to apply for x9b again, and put in for the San Diego muzzleloader as my #2 choice. I need an excuse to purchase and try out a muzzleloader anyways. :D

John

That depends on where we can scout.

ivanimal
05-07-2007, 8:58 PM
I just got my refund from Montana. I guess I did not get drawn.:mad:

colddeadhands
05-08-2007, 1:41 AM
i'm moving up to forest hill this month so i put in for forest hill and d3-5 hopefully i'll get to do a lot of scouting since ill be so close

ivanimal
05-09-2007, 10:34 AM
i'm moving up to forest hill this month so i put in for forest hill and d3-5 hopefully i'll get to do a lot of scouting since ill be so close

There are a lot of deer up there I have hunted Oxbow reservoir area with friends successfully. There are a lot of tree rodents to control while you are scouting bring a 22.;)

gose
05-09-2007, 11:01 AM
It was so much easier back home where I could just grab my rifle, drive an hour to our land and shoot whatever I wanted :)

Since I didn't do any hunting last year (probably the first year in almost 20 years that I didn't shoot a deer or moose), I'll try to figure out the drawing thing and buy myself a rifle so I can get some hunting done this year.

ivanimal
05-09-2007, 1:27 PM
It was so much easier back home where I could just grab my rifle, drive an hour to our land and shoot whatever I wanted :)

Since I didn't do any hunting last year (probably the first year in almost 20 years that I didn't shoot a deer or moose), I'll try to figure out the drawing thing and buy myself a rifle so I can get some hunting done this year.

Gose if you need a hunting rifle to borrow let me know.

jmlivingston
05-09-2007, 9:16 PM
Any of you guys hunt M6? That's the muzzleloading season down in San Diego, I'm thinking of putting in for it as my #2 choice this year, that would give me an excuse to buy one. :D

John

RANGER295
05-13-2007, 5:45 PM
My hunting buddy and I are putting in for X12. I have actually never been deer hunting before (mostly varmint) but he has for years and is hoping that it is about time for him to get drawn. We also just got permission to hunt pigs on a large private ranch by San Lewis Obispo so hopefully we will get a chance to do that this summer as well.

derbyacresbob
05-20-2007, 11:07 AM
You have two weeks to get your deer tag applications in for the drawing, the deadline is Monday June 4th. Please let me know if I have read the regulations wrong on the deer tag applications. If you apply for a tag on your first choice that is very easy to get you will never get any preference points because you always get your first choice. On the good premium deer tags it is almost impossible to get one of these on your second choice because the tag applications are seperated by first choice and preferance points before the drawing is held. I use to to think that they just started a drawing and when they pulled your application they looked at your first choice and if that hunt was filled then they looked at your second choice and would give you your second choice tag if it was available. That is not the way it works. Last year out of the 29 X and G tags available only 3 of these tags did not have more first choices than there was tags. The muzzleloader hunts, Junior Hunts and Area-Specific Archery Hunts are a different story all together. California has some great hunts available but you will need to build up some preferance points to have a better chance at them. It doesn't cost a thing to apply for a premium hunt on your first choice and second choice and then put in for the easy to get tag as your third choice. You need to build up the preferance points now so you will have a good chance to get a premium tag 10 years from now. Only 10% of the tags go out to applications by not using the preferance point sytem.