PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Slug & 00 Buckshot Ammo For 4 day class.

Ratboy
05-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Hey Calshotgunners...

I'm going to take the 4 day Shotgun class at Frontsight and need:

300rds of birdshot
250rds of 00 Buckshot
75rds of slug

Now, I priced some out at Cabelas and am looking at about $300 just for the ammo.

Does anyone have a lead on some lower priced slug and buckshot rounds? Or is a buck a round about the best I can do?

Thanks!

TNP
05-10-2012, 10:55 AM
You could always ask if they minded if you made your own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBWWqXVbAfA&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU

I've tried both of these methods and they both work very well.
.25 a shell. You can't beat it!

TNP
05-10-2012, 11:23 AM
www.sgammo.com also has great prices on all kinds of ammo.

shellslinger
05-10-2012, 11:24 AM
http://www.luckygunner.com/12-ga-2-3-4-00-buck-rio-royal-250-rounds

For 00 Buckshot, but I dont know how much shipping is.
Also you can check out sgammo.com for other buckshot ammo as well.

For slugs, not sure where you can get some for cheap.

Bert Gamble
05-10-2012, 11:28 AM
There is a guy in a truck at the turnoff that sells ammo about as cheap as you can get, and you don't have to pay shipping. He has a credit card ap on his phone if you want to use a card.

He has a shop in town, but comes out most days in the morning to sell to FS students.

You can also get away with less 00 buck if you want. They will allow you to use the cheaper bird shot until the test. I only used about half the buck I brought.

Need less slugs too. You can use them up on the last day shooting from 100+ yards to see who can hit the target the fastest from either high or low ready if you want.

Atekhed
05-10-2012, 2:01 PM
Another +1 for SGAmmo.

For birdshot get the Federal or Winchester value packs at Walmart. Run about $20-$22 per pack of 100.

I looked at the link to the Rio 00 Buck above and thats a great price until it calculated shipping. $40 UPS ground to SF Bay Area!

Also if your shotgun is reliable with it you can look into low-recoil rounds to save your shoulder some.

shellslinger
05-10-2012, 3:31 PM
Another +1 for SGAmmo.

For birdshot get the Federal or Winchester value packs at Walmart. Run about $20-$22 per pack of 100.

I looked at the link to the Rio 00 Buck above and thats a great price until it calculated shipping. $40 UPS ground to SF Bay Area!

Also if your shotgun is reliable with it you can look into low-recoil rounds to save your shoulder some.

owch! In that case check out www.sgammo.com, they have some PMC buckshot at around 156 shipped. Although the Rio and PMC will come at around the same price, SGammo ships out very quickly. Literally takes about 3 - 4 days to get to your door once you place your order.

Ricky-Ray
05-10-2012, 3:33 PM
http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/175-rds-federal-12-gauge-high-power-oo-buck-shot-xm12700ac-ammo-can

Ricky-Ray
05-10-2012, 3:34 PM
There is a guy in a truck at the turnoff that sells ammo about as cheap as you can get, and you don't have to pay shipping. He has a credit card ap on his phone if you want to use a card.

He has a shop in town, but comes out most days in the morning to sell to FS students.

You can also get away with less 00 buck if you want. They will allow you to use the cheaper bird shot until the test. I only used about half the buck I brought.

Need less slugs too. You can use them up on the last day shooting from 100+ yards to see who can hit the target the fastest from either high or low ready if you want.

This is the guy your referring to. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=538236

Ratboy
05-10-2012, 4:39 PM
Thank you everyone! There are some good options here. I'm looking forward to my trip... it's likely to be my last for awhile.

I would like to load my own but I'm not there yet.

BigDogatPlay
05-10-2012, 7:51 PM
+1 on WalMart for bird shot. Make sure your gun will run the Winchester Universal before you buy a bunch of it. Not all guns like it.

The Federal "Top Gun" target loads are excellent quality and they run in all my guns.

For buck and slug, you might consider buying in a bunch of Wolf, assuming FS doesn't have anything against the brand. About as inexpensive as it gets and it always goes bang for me.

Obviously a Plant
05-10-2012, 9:25 PM
The Wall-Marts in Paharump may not have what you want/need,
you will not be happy if all you have to shoot are magnum loads
for a pump, most anything will do, and Centurion slugs work as well as any (for 1/2 price)
If you are bringing a semi, try out your loads first to see what cycles happily
Don't be afraid to dry practice on the firing line, not to be cheap on ammo, but to save your shoulder and improve your skills.

Carsgunsandchics
05-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Sometimes SGAmmo has returned/damaged cases of ammo for much less, along with closeouts. It wouldn't hurt to ask them.

dw1784
05-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Don't be afraid to dry practice on the firing line, not to be cheap on ammo, but to save your shoulder and improve your skills.

+1. Dry run and practice reloads. Or use birdshots when they call for buckshots. Was out at the night class last year, end up using less than 2 boxes of slugs. I only used my buckshots when I ran out of birdshots.

Ratboy
05-15-2012, 1:30 PM
I'm using a Mossberg 590A1... hopefully it'll like whatever I use in it. I haven't fired it yet so I don't know.

I will definitely be doing dry practice to save my shoulder. Good suggestion, thank you!

Atekhed
05-15-2012, 2:38 PM
SGAmmo has the 250 rnd case of Rio 00 High-power Buckshot in stock. Best buy I've seen recently.

http://sgammo.com/product/rio/250rd-12-gauge-rio-high-power-00-buckshot-9-pellet-1

Look their inventory for some slugs and spread out the shipping charges (which are no where near as outrageous as in the link a few posts up).

shellslinger
05-15-2012, 4:01 PM
I'm using a Mossberg 590A1... hopefully it'll like whatever I use in it. I haven't fired it yet so I don't know.

I will definitely be doing dry practice to save my shoulder. Good suggestion, thank you!

I have a 590a1 as well. It eats pretty much everything. The only time I had an issue with ammo was with winchester universal birdshot. Most of the time the shells eject just fine but sometimes the shells seem to want to get stuck and it requires a little bit more force than usual to eject the shell. Other than that, every other type of ammunition has run fine through mine.