PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 breacher question that's making me mad

libertyordeath
05-10-2012, 10:16 AM
So let me start by saying I've never had so much trouble finding a answer for a gun as this one. So damn confusing so here is my questions

I have a mossberg 930 with breacher barrel 18.5" correct and it holds 4rnds in the mag.

So I got a choate extension from a member here. The extension reaches to end of barrel but I only get 6rnds in with the 7th rnd 1/4 in or less from going in. And the spring is 34"

So I searched forums and seen people say that the breacher +2 reaches to end of barrel so how does the spx fit 7 and from what I read it's the same length barrel.

I know I can try and cut spring but I've read people with 35" springs and fit 7 easily so I'm I missing something here.

Plus I called choate and he said that's because the spx is a 20" barrel +3 extension.

Any help before i pull my hair out haha. So if a fellow calgunner has a spx if you could me give the size of spring and mag ext. And follower then I can go from there thanks.

BigDogatPlay
05-10-2012, 8:03 PM
Have you checked the inside of the extension for burrs or debris that might keep the follower from going that last little bit?

A +3 should go about flush to the muzzle of a 20 inch barrel. OP mentions that his barrel is 18.5. So is that 18.5 plus the breacher to make 20 inches? Or is it 18.5 including the breacher. If 18.5 including the breacher and the extension is flush, then perhaps it's a +2.

orthopod
05-10-2012, 8:17 PM
I have the latest SPX spring (received it a few weeks ago) and the spring is exactly 40" long. I spoke with Mossberg to ask them if I should cut it as I saw that previous springs were 35" and they said to install it as is. I installed it with the SPX mag tube extension (Choate part) and can fit 7 x 2 3/4" shells easily.

SchooBaka
05-11-2012, 8:22 AM
I bought an spx last year.
I can get 7 rounds of birdshot in the tube; but have not found any buckshot rounds that will fit 7. The 7th round of buck stops with about 1/8th or less of an inch from going all the way in.

shooterfpga
05-11-2012, 8:26 AM
try different shells. they are not all the same size.

MossbergMan
05-11-2012, 8:31 AM
Nordic makes the best aftermarket magazine extentsions for the mossberg 930/935 series. I have found that Choate, tac-star make substandard magazine extentsions. Reliabilty is #1 with any firearm....cheap parts, cheap performance. I know some folks are happy campers with aftermarket parts for the "lowest bidder". They like to "tinker" with their guns and that's fine, it's just not for me.
Buy cheap buy often, buy quality buy once.

glock 357
05-11-2012, 8:38 AM
How many doors would you need to breach? 4 even 6 is good enough. Highly doubt one would have 7 doors you'll need to go through to get to the suspect :chris: Time to get a ram ;) Zombies leave their door wide open though. Personally I'd put a bayonet on it make it look cool and useful :43:

jjDoodah
01-22-2015, 9:32 PM
the 18.5" includes the Breacher....so +2 is all you can add.

DeusExMachina
01-22-2015, 11:16 PM
Good luck. Stop customizing your Mossy. It don't like it.

-hanko
01-23-2015, 6:48 AM
How many doors would you need to breach? 4 even 6 is good enough. Highly doubt one would have 7 doors you'll need to go through to get to the suspect :chris: Time to get a ram ;) Zombies leave their door wide open though. Personally I'd put a bayonet on it make it look cool and useful :43:
Correct answer. :D

BLACK LION
01-23-2015, 7:58 AM
Nordic makes the best aftermarket magazine extentsions for the mossberg 930/935 series. I have found that Choate, tac-star make substandard magazine extentsions. Reliabilty is #1 with any firearm....cheap parts, cheap performance. I know some folks are happy campers with aftermarket parts for the "lowest bidder". They like to "tinker" with their guns and that's fine, it's just not for me.
Buy cheap buy often, buy quality buy once.

^^^
This...its pricey but its damn good and mine has functioned flawlessly.

aippi
01-23-2015, 8:08 AM
Guess I am missing everything. Unless they have changed the 12ga breeching round since my day, they will not cycle a semi-auto. The few teams that even used there used pumps for this reason. If this is the still the case then why would you have a breeching devise on a semi-auto? But if there are new breeching rounds that do cycle one then please simply forgive me as I am old and don't understand a lot of this new mess. I am not trying to change the topic of the OP just trying to learn something about the gun he mentioned.

wweigle
01-23-2015, 8:49 AM
Are you using 3" rounds, rather than 2/3"?

hammerhead_77
01-23-2015, 1:01 PM

OMG!!! A year ago I was doing a tactical shotgun (Lvl 2) class... One of the scenarios included an unavoidable engagement at very close range with no opportunity to transition.

Between firing orders I stuck my bayonet on the end of my 590A1 and took a somewhat unconventional approach to engaging the target. The instructor was a friend...I think NORAD tracked his head launching into orbit when he saw that!

Gotta go with the bayonet...some have a can opener that could help with those stuborn screen doors.

[note: no, I'm not an idiot. It was a joke. It was funny at the time and just as silly as needing 7 rounds in a breeching gun]

squeeze
01-24-2015, 12:33 AM
try different shells. Some are slightly longer or shorter.