PDA

View Full Version : Legal to shoot someone while driving?

vdhernan
05-09-2012, 9:24 PM
So the situation is I am driving on a single lane highway at speed limit minding my own business and a motorcyclist comes up and starts banging on my window attempting to break the glass. I refuse to pull over so a car behind my starts ramming my car. Now I have a 9mm in the trunk that I can access if I just reach back and pull the seat down. Is it legal to shoot?

paul0660
05-09-2012, 9:26 PM
Is it legal to shoot?

Yourself? No law broken.

stitchnicklas
05-09-2012, 9:30 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

i smell a T

stitchnicklas
05-09-2012, 9:30 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

i smell a T

5thgen4runner
05-09-2012, 9:37 PM
I asked almost the same question, and got labeled all kinds of bull. so forget it...before everyone talks **** and tells you to turn in your guns and ltc. thats why i don't ask questions anymore here. i just try to post in bs threads or classifieds.

DannyInSoCal
05-09-2012, 9:41 PM
Yes. It's perfectly legal if you do it handsfree...

Librarian
05-09-2012, 9:42 PM
You would be driving a several-thousand-pound lethal weapon. Presuming the vehicle continued to function, it makes far more sense to drive away.

If you were forced off the road and unable to drive, I'd say self defense would be reasonable.

11011500a
05-09-2012, 9:47 PM
Swing right,cut left bike is gone. Stab brakes let the car smash has radiator. Floor it & run. Save ammo for the range

Ron-Solo
05-09-2012, 9:52 PM
People think it is a troll question because with the information provided, no one can give you a definitive answer regarding the legality.

Shooting at a moving vehicle is generally ineffective and is inherently dangerous. That is why most police departments have very restrictive policies concerning shooting at moving vehicles.

And a guy on a motorcycle pulling alongside a moving vehicle to break out a window.....? That's a suicide move. Come on, get real. Turn off the TV and join real life.

Old_Bald_Guy
05-09-2012, 9:52 PM
CA Penal Code section 197.6 requires that you first deploy at least four handfuls of caltrops, AKA tetrahedral road spikes (to flatten the tires of the suspect vehicle/s and thus end their pursuit) before you may legally shoot them in self defense. This is well known and is highlighted in most reputable LTC training courses. If you so desire but cannot afford to carry caltrops, your local CHP office will provide them to you free of charge. Ask for Officer Poncherello, Baker, or Chipper.

paul0660
05-09-2012, 9:54 PM
I asked almost the same question, and got labeled all kinds of bull. so forget it...before everyone talks **** and tells you to turn in your guns and ltc. thats why i don't ask questions anymore here. i just try to post in bs threads or classifieds.

Cool. I wasn't sure this was a bs thread until now.

Robidouxs
05-09-2012, 9:55 PM
Jam the gas to the floor and just run. Worst case scenario, your car becomes your weapon. By the time you get the 9mm from the truck worse things will have already likely happened.

DannyInSoCal
05-09-2012, 9:59 PM
BTW - How small is your car which allows you to reach into the trunk while driving?

Or are you one of those octopus trolls...?

CitaDeL
05-09-2012, 10:04 PM
BTW - How small is your car which allows you to reach into the trunk while driving?

Or are you one of those octopus trolls...?

I'm thinking tall guy in a Smart Car.

G-Man WC
05-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Get a trunk monkey. -g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8oPVVGYQ40

alfred1222
05-09-2012, 10:26 PM
just drive away, why shoot???

IntoForever
05-09-2012, 10:30 PM
You're in a car, biker threatening you. Unless he's on a scooter or a 50 cc, you can't outrun him. I read this in a sig somewhere "he who has the most lugnuts wins" and if you react quickly, you would win. As for the tailgater, I'd defer that to an attorney.

elSquid
05-09-2012, 10:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lweW_pfV6Pg&t=0m13s

-- Michael

Scout2Diesel
05-09-2012, 10:41 PM
The pistol would be non admissable. You'd be prosecuted for no locked container.:)

Rusty Scabbard
05-09-2012, 10:42 PM
But smart cars don't have trunks ! May not even knock the motorcycle over.
This thread needs a mall ninja.

Scratch705
05-09-2012, 10:46 PM
umm bike vs car, the car wins 100% of the time. no need for pistol at all.

thefiveoh
05-10-2012, 12:15 AM
This post is a perfect example of a citizen looking to give ammunition to the anti-gun movement. Fear of serious injury or death is required to use deadly force, and that situation has far more outs before deadly force is even close to being justified.

they should do an IQ test before they sell firearms.

alfred1222
05-10-2012, 12:22 AM
This post is a perfect example of a citizen looking to give ammunition to the anti-gun movement. Fear of serious injury or death is required to use deadly force, and that situation has far more outs before deadly force is even close to being justified.

they should do an IQ test before they sell firearms.

So your saying that people should meet a certain intelligence requirement in order to buy a gun?? :facepalm:

intheknow
05-10-2012, 12:28 AM
So the situation is I am driving on a single lane highway at speed limit minding my own business and a motorcyclist comes up and starts banging on my window attempting to break the glass. I refuse to pull over so a car behind my starts ramming my car. Now I have a 9mm in the trunk that I can access if I just reach back and pull the seat down. Is it legal to shoot?

before that.... question is.... What did YOU do to cause a person to react in trying to break your window??? are you a jeweler that is a target of a hit??? hmmm

chiselchst
05-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Really? No other "options" to avoid danger? :facepalm:

I have personally witnessed LE shooting from a moving vehicle, at a moving vehicle.

The "suspect" was travelling Eastbound on HiWay 4, and had previously tried to run over a Concord PD LEO, and was wrecklessly causing havoc - very badly, as I witnessed.

He crossed the oncoming lanes of traffic on EastBound HiWay 4, shy of Morello Exit. The suspect crossed the center divide, entered opposing traffic, running through a cyclone fence, to access a side road, in to a residential area, where he soon crashed and was apprended. Shots were fired at him, as he slowed down, prior to his crashing through a cyclone fence adjoining the freeway, and prior to his entering a residential area.

The suspect, crossed the HiWay Center divide - he was acting CRAZY, and had previously attempted to run down a Cop. They shot at him on the move...

You? If you can escape and get away, DO IT!

kedenimar
05-10-2012, 1:54 AM
may have watched The Matrix:Reloaded too many times.....:rolleyes:

ubet
05-10-2012, 3:53 AM
What if T-rex was alive and wanted to eat you, but was on the endangered species list, and you have a whale that could walk on land and speak as a pet. But knowing that, your pet pony got mad and ran off, and ended up getting eating by a pink trex thats a cousin to the trex that wants to eat you? What do you do in THAT situation?

Honestly the above has as about much chance as happening as the ops.

nicki
05-10-2012, 4:13 AM
If some guy in a motorcycle was really threatening you, a little body damage will take out a motorcycle.

Shooting from a moving vehicle is wreckless. The odds of you hittibg a bystander are significant. You may avoid criminal charges if you are lucky, but the civil suits for wrongful shooting will kill you.

Of course bad guys don't care about their rounds and who they inadvertently hit, life is not fair, but that is the way it is.

Nicki

haole_50
05-10-2012, 5:50 AM
CA Penal Code section 197.6 requires that you first deploy at least four handfuls of caltrops, AKA tetrahedral road spikes (to flatten the tires of the suspect vehicle/s and thus end their pursuit) before you may legally shoot them in self defense. This is well known and is highlighted in most reputable LTC training courses. If you so desire but cannot afford to carry caltrops, your local CHP office will provide them to you free of charge. Ask for Officer Poncherello, Baker, or Chipper.

Funny you mention this - I carry a package of these; I was also thinking of a way to deploy these without the BG knowing it. Several ways, using automatic door looks and small releaseable containers on the underside of the vehicle. Maybe, once I retire I can work on a system and post my "invention".

m03
05-10-2012, 5:59 AM

Open your door quickly... no more biker. Then, speed up.

Mesa Tactical
05-10-2012, 6:54 AM

You have a far more effective weapon at your immediate disposal than a 9mm pistol.

On the other hand, I can't imagine what possible threat to life or grave bodily injury is constituted by some dumbass motorcyclist pounding on your window.

-hanko
05-10-2012, 6:56 AM
So your saying that people should meet a certain intelligence requirement in order to buy a gun?? :facepalm:
Stay on this forum for a day or 2 and you will understand.

Best current example is the shotgun forum post suggesting that one of the Kardashian bimbos is a perfect role model for skeet shooting. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

-hanko

njineermike
05-10-2012, 7:03 AM
I will not post in this thread.

robcoe
05-10-2012, 7:08 AM

Turn sharply into the motorcyclist, speed up, and take the first exit out of the Vin Diesel movie.

whipkiller
05-10-2012, 7:08 AM
So I have determined that you are Mel Gibson, what I have not yet figured out is whether this scene is from "Lethal Weapon" or "Mad Max".

And no, if you lowered the seat and reached into your trunk to retrieve your loaded 9mm, not legal.

*ETA: I commend you however, for driving the speed limit on that single lane road.

Mesa Tactical
05-10-2012, 7:15 AM
I will not post in this thread.

Yeah, I feel dirty too.

darksands
05-10-2012, 7:50 AM
I would think that the Castle Doctrine would include the vehicle in some states and if you feel your life was in danger then I would think that it is legal... in some states... But I am no lawyer.

I am pretty sure you don't ride a motorcycle since you are trying to be serious. At most a motorcyclist will knock off your side view mirror cause you pissed them off somehow and even then that will be at low speeds. Getting anywhere close to a cage at regular speed limits to do anything is near suicide for a bike.

Your scenario is not taken seriously because it is closer to the spectrum of "what if a Pterodactyl ripped the roof off your car. Can you shoot it?"

I'll pose something more realistic. Can you shoot out of a moving car if someone with a gun is chasing you in another car?

Glock22Fan
05-10-2012, 7:55 AM

There's a number of aspects to life where people have posited intelligence tests (etc) before being allowed to do all sorts of things, such as breeding, voting, whatever.

This is in the same category.

We all know people that "should not be allowed" to do any of these things, and yet clearly it is not acceptable to enforce it.

Have to admit I read the original headline and groaned.

And, as an ex-biker, I certainly would not want to get close enough to a car to bang on the windows, unless it was stationary and there was no-one to throw the door at me.

12voltguy
05-10-2012, 7:58 AM

Cool. I wasn't sure this was a bs thread until now.:D:D:D:D:D

stangman86gt
05-10-2012, 7:59 AM
You would be driving a several-thousand-pound lethal weapon. Presuming the vehicle continued to function, it makes far more sense to drive away.

If you were forced off the road and unable to drive, I'd say self defense would be reasonable.

this is exactly what i was going to say.