PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Athens 1946 (was Now the second amendment is a little more clear)

rob474
05-09-2012, 9:20 PM
i hope this isn't a repost a friend sent this to me and i thought i would share

Check out this little video. A good movie clip about history.
I was completely unaware of this event that took place in Athens, TN in 1946.
I did not know an armed revolt by WWII veterans ever took place during our lifetime.
A very sobering video to say the least.
Now the second amendment is a little more clear.

http://voxvocispublicus.homestead.com/Battle-of-Athens.html

Purple K
05-09-2012, 9:32 PM
We can learn a lot from history

southernsnowshoe
05-09-2012, 9:56 PM
imagine how fast a revolt like that would spread today with facebook, twitter, etc.

Alan Block
05-09-2012, 10:06 PM
I heard about this a long time ago and have always felt that this was the perfect example of the 2nd ammendment being applied as it was intended.

alfred1222
05-09-2012, 11:31 PM
imagine how fast a revolt like that would spread today with facebook, twitter, etc.

Haha right, like the sheeple today would have the balls to stand up and revolt. These guys were WWII vets, all knew how to shoot and move, all had experienced combat and loved their country. The majority of people now a day have only experience guns and combat in call of duty or in a movie theater. I just couldnt see them standing up against the government.

m03
05-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Just search the forum for "Athens".

It's posted here at least twice a month.

Meplat
05-10-2012, 12:17 AM
This is why we should take our fighting men from the public at large. Once they have experienced the rigors of war they are more invested in American liberty, and are more acquainted with the risks and skills needed to maintain it.

The “all volunteer military”, though they have shown themselves to be loyal to the constitution and the people, in the end could become a mercenary force. Their officers, I think, understand their constitutional responsibilities. But how long can this condition obtain, given our public school system.

Don’t get me wrong, I love our military, they understand that while it is not acceptable to criticize the CNC, their loyalty is to the constitution. I love you guys and gals, every one. And as a veteran I am an oath keeper; I invite you to become the same.

NoJoke
05-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Just search the forum for "Athens".

It's posted here at least twice a month.

First time for me. I'm glad it was posted...........again. :cool:

Chilling how far corruption will lead a person/group/party. Chilling.

scarville
05-10-2012, 7:08 AM
Imagine how fast a revolt like that would be put down today.

Mrbroom
05-10-2012, 7:33 AM
This is why we should take our fighting men from the public at large. Once they have experienced the rigors of war they are more invested in American liberty, and are more acquainted with the risks and skills needed to maintain it.

The ďall volunteer militaryĒ, though they have shown themselves to be loyal to the constitution and the people, in the end could become a mercenary force. Their officers, I think, understand their constitutional responsibilities. But how long can this condition obtain, given our public school system.

Donít get me wrong, I love our military, they understand that while it is not acceptable to criticize the CNC, their loyalty is to the constitution. I love you guys and gals, every one. And as a veteran I am an oath keeper; I invite you to become the same.

Second this motion... I too am an oath keeper!!

Flintlock Tom
05-10-2012, 10:04 AM
This is why we should take our fighting men from the public at large. Once they have experienced the rigors of war they are more invested in American liberty, and are more acquainted with the risks and skills needed to maintain it....
Sig-worthy material right there!

Thank you!

QQQ
05-10-2012, 4:22 PM
This is why we should take our fighting men from the public at large. Once they have experienced the rigors of war they are more invested in American liberty, and are more acquainted with the risks and skills needed to maintain it.Oh, really? I didn't know that invading other countries without a declaration of war made a person a better American.
Conscription is the antithesis of freedom.

SilverTauron
05-10-2012, 5:01 PM
Oh, really? I didn't know that invading other countries without a declaration of war made a person a better American.

In that case, you should take comfort in the fact that we haven't fought a war since WWII.

Conscription is the antithesis of freedom.

Denial is the antithesis of survival.

That adressed, a repeat of the "Battle Of Athens" wouldn't happen today. Sure, our modern day Iraq & Afghanistan War vets would have the stones to stand up to a modern day political machine. Catch is the media would never cover it properly. By the time the Feds arrived , a rebellion against illegal authority using civil firearms would be spun into a "misunderstanding between a group of veterans and a civil administration."

Assuming of course that the story even made it that far. The mainstream media still stands mute in the shadows of Fast and Furious-and that series of tragic events far and away eclipses the localized abuse of power depicted above.

Cato
05-10-2012, 9:51 PM
I heard about this a long time ago and have always felt that this was the perfect example of the 2nd ammendment being applied as it was intended.

...but where's the hunters and sportsmen? or the home defense?

why, dare we say, the Second Amendment was to overthrow governmental authorities?

southernsnowshoe
05-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Haha right, like the sheeple today would have the balls to stand up and revolt. These guys were WWII vets, all knew how to shoot and move, all had experienced combat and loved their country. The majority of people now a day have only experience guns and combat in call of duty or in a movie theater. I just couldnt see them standing up against the government.

I agree with your statement in a broad sense, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that the most of the men at concord in 1775 did not have extensive combat experience.
Those men, and these men at Athens, had become directly effected by tyranny and I think that is the tipping point.

KalTac
05-18-2012, 1:24 AM
Wow, I never knew. Thanks for sharing.

vantec08
05-18-2012, 3:02 AM
In that case, you should take comfort in the fact that we haven't fought a war since WWII.

Denial is the antithesis of survival.

That adressed, a repeat of the "Battle Of Athens" wouldn't happen today. Sure, our modern day Iraq & Afghanistan War vets would have the stones to stand up to a modern day political machine. Catch is the media would never cover it properly. By the time the Feds arrived , a rebellion against illegal authority using civil firearms would be spun into a "misunderstanding between a group of veterans and a civil administration."

Assuming of course that the story even made it that far. The mainstream media still stands mute in the shadows of Fast and Furious-and that series of tragic events far and away eclipses the localized abuse of power depicted above.

. .. . which is my problem with contemporary "politics." Once something becomes politicized, that is, placed into the political arena, the first casualty is simple, straight-up truth. Usually followed by common sense. Political "solutions" to non-political problems is apples and oranges.

Echidin
05-18-2012, 6:30 AM
Definitely a good reminder, but it's been discussed on here before.

SanPedroShooter
05-18-2012, 6:58 AM
Great story.

Did anyone else think the movie portrayal was totally ridiculous? The gun handling, the awful dialogue...

'What do we do George....?' (Pick up truck arrives filled with loaded rifles....)

And did anyone else think that they were going to continually cock and recock their guns as George counted down the one minute he gave the Sheriff?

Meplat
05-18-2012, 8:48 AM

If the facebook crowd tried this the ERís would be filled with people with big purple throbbing thumbs!:p

HBrebel
05-18-2012, 3:14 PM

you had better stay home then if it was to happen. There are quite a few men and women who can and will defend true liberty. People are spending lots of time and money on combat and tactics training these days. The only problem is they have no air support or drones. But there many oath keepers in the military and law enforcement who will do what is right.

HBrebel
05-18-2012, 3:19 PM

The ďall volunteer militaryĒ, though they have shown themselves to be loyal to the constitution and the people, in the end could become a mercenary force. Their officers, I think, understand their constitutional responsibilities. But how long can this condition obtain, given our public school system.

Donít get me wrong, I love our military, they understand that while it is not acceptable to criticize the CNC, their loyalty is to the constitution. I love you guys and gals, every one. And as a veteran I am an oath keeper; I invite you to become the same.

everybody on here should look into joining oath keepers or at least find your local chapter and sit in on a few meetings. Lots of good people and a great way to network with like-minded individuals. My chapter is a bit right wing and has many senior citizens as members, but all good people and at least they give a crap about todays issues. More than I can say for the youth.

Scarecrow Repair
05-18-2012, 7:07 PM
...but where's the hunters and sportsmen? or the home defense?

why, dare we say, the Second Amendment was to overthrow governmental authorities?

Time to dredge up my favorite again, the Deacons for Defense. Black WW II and Korean War vets who used their guns to protect their homes and fight the local governments, getting better schools for their kids to teach the same wood shop and auto shop as the white kids, not just gardening and home economics for servants. The local sheriffs and indeed all the local government were the KKK leaders, and liked cruising at night thru the black neighborhoods to litter racists leaflets, but that stopped after the residents confronted them with guns. One KKK group was so humiliated at one of theirs being shot that they crossed two state lines to take him to a hospital because they didn't want word getting back. I'm glad I don't have friends like that.

The book is by a professor, full of footnotes and research, but still quite readable. The movie is a composite, because they had to condense years (1964-1969?) of activity into a single movie.

The Deacons provided sentries and patrols for MLK many times, like the march from Selma to Montgomery (or was it the other direction?). It's a shame the current black rights groups won't acknowledge that.

Jack L
05-19-2012, 7:28 AM
i hope this isn't a repost a friend sent this to me and i thought i would share

Check out this little video. A good movie clip about history.
I was completely unaware of this event that took place in Athens, TN in 1946.
I did not know an armed revolt by WWII veterans ever took place during our lifetime.
A very sobering video to say the least.
Now the second amendment is a little more clear.

http://voxvocispublicus.homestead.com/Battle-of-Athens.html

That wasn't the only time in US history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army