PDA

View Full Version : CGF Sues SFPD, OPD, CA DOJ over firearms seizures

hoffmang
05-09-2012, 7:30 PM
CGF Sues San Francisco, Oakland Police Departments and the California Department of Justice over scheme to unlawfully retained seized firearms

San Carlos, CA (May 9, 2012) – In an important step to secure the rights of California gun owners, The Calguns Foundation, the Second Amendment Foundation, and two individual residents of California have filed a new federal lawsuit in San Francisco. The case, entitled Churchill, et. al. v. Harris, et al., alleges that the police departments of both San Francisco and Oakland are unlawfully refusing to return lawfully-owned firearms to individuals who have had charges dropped after police investigations proved that they had done nothing wrong.

The ongoing seizure of those firearms is a violation of the Second and Fourth Amendments to the Constitution. What’s more, the departments’ refusal to return property after all charges are dropped is theft.

"In California, the Evidence Code makes it clear that simple possession is proof of ownership of almost all types of common property, including firearms," said Don Kilmer, attorney for the plaintiffs. "The California Department of Justice is misleading police departments in such a way that they violate the rights of gun owners who were investigated and found to not have violated the law."

The Oakland and San Francisco Police departments appear to be relying on a Department of Justice document that is being attached to the required “Law Enforcement Gun Release”, or LEGR, reports indicating that the requester may lawfully own and possess firearms. The document claims that the requesting person has to provide proof of ownership for every firearm when they go to retrieve their seized property.

According to longstanding California law, every firearm seized during a police investigation must be inventoried; a copy of that list is given to the person from whom firearms are seized. Every law enforcement agency knows which person they took firearms from and what specific firearms were taken.

"It's hard enough for a law-abiding gun owner to live through the uncertainty and fear caused by a false allegation or arrest, but to have the very people who are trusted and sworn to serve them then steal their property after they've been exonerated is inexcusable," said Calguns Foundation chairman Gene Hoffman. "Law-abiding Californians should not be forced to seek out expensive legal representation just to get back what is rightfully theirs in the first place."

A copy of the complaint and case filings can be downloaded at http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.cand.253515/gov.uscourts.cand.253515.1.0.pdf .

To support this and other important Second Amendment lawsuits, please make a tax-deductible donation at www.calgunsfoundation.org/donate (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/donate).
___

The Calguns Foundation (www.calgunsfoundation.org) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization which serves its members by providing Second Amendment-related education, strategic litigation and the defense of innocent California gun owners from improper or malicious prosecution. The Calguns Foundation seeks to inform government and protect the rights of individuals to acquire, own, and lawfully use firearms in California.

Gene Hoffman
650-275-1015
hoffmang@calgunsfoundation.org

Ubermcoupe
05-09-2012, 7:31 PM
Nice!

SuperSet
05-09-2012, 7:33 PM
Go get them, fellas!!

imtheomegaman
05-09-2012, 7:35 PM
salute

Kodemonkey
05-09-2012, 7:35 PM
:43: Give 'em hell gentlemen.

BigBamBoo
05-09-2012, 7:38 PM
Good to hear. Made a (small) donation...wish it could be more, but I be poor.

Take care,Stan

CitaDeL
CGF rocks once again...:cool:

hoffmang
This is where I need to remind everyone that freedom is not free. Please seriously consider a donation. We are in an envious position in that we have more excellent cases than time or money right now. Please help us offset both with your dollars here:

http://calgunsfoundation.org/donate.html

Also make sure you use the Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=calgunfounda-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957) when you buy stuff online as we're generating almost $4000 a month off of your purchases there.

-Gene

GW
05-09-2012, 7:39 PM
Way to turn up the heat! Donation sent!

speedrrracer
05-09-2012, 7:39 PM
:43: Give 'em hell gentlemen.

+1

To the rescue once again

taperxz
05-09-2012, 7:43 PM
This is actually more important than even LTC's. This will prevent the government from illegal confiscation of firearms in many different ways. I like it ;)

nick
05-09-2012, 7:45 PM
Does this only address the refusal to return the seized firearms, or ammunition, as well? Some departments actually have the policies, where they return firearms, but not ammunition. Another disgusting custom is destroying firearms after some (usually pretty short) period of time. Or is this the next step (as in bringing one issue at a time, so the courts have less wiggle room)?

Some people have quite a lot of ammo. I'm about halfway done with my ammo log (with the rifle ammo portion of it), and my rifle ammo's worth more than my car, and I'm understating the ammo prices, since they went up of late. I'd hate to lose a car or two to theft, especially since insurance doesn't cover theft by the authorities.

HowardW56
05-09-2012, 7:46 PM
Good to hear. Made a (small) donation...wish it could be more, but I be poor.

Take care,Stan

ME TOO!!

I'm in for $50.00

Who else will donate?

DONATE TO CGF (http://calgunsfoundation.org/donate.html)

m03
05-09-2012, 7:46 PM
Good job. I'll be dropping another donation in the jar as of Friday.

Also...

scheme to unlawfully retained

s/retained/retain

:)

nick
05-09-2012, 7:52 PM
This is where I need to remind everyone that freedom is not free. Please seriously consider a donation. We are in an envious position in that we have more excellent cases than time or money right now. Please help us offset both with your dollars here:

Also make sure you use the Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=calgunfounda-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957) when you buy stuff online as we're generating almost $4000 a month off of your purchases there.

-Gene

I do both, and people, do bookmark that Amazon link. It's easy to use, and it's the best money you can spend (yes, not excluding guns and ammo). There's no good reason not to use that link when shopping at Amazon.

taperxz
05-09-2012, 7:56 PM
Hey! We can even donate as little as 10 bucks can't we?

nick
05-09-2012, 7:57 PM
Hey! We can even donate as little as 10 bucks can't we?

Yep, we can. Some people scheduled monthly donations in that amount.

joefrank64k
05-09-2012, 8:02 PM
Donation sent...Amazon bookmark added to wife's and mom's browsers.

Purple K
05-09-2012, 8:05 PM
Lordy! Lordy!

alfred1222
05-09-2012, 8:10 PM
nice one!!!

Barbarossa
05-09-2012, 8:15 PM
Nice work!

CSACANNONEER
05-09-2012, 8:16 PM
To everyone involved in this case,

THANK YOU! I've always been scared of loosing family heirlooms forever if I ran into an under-educated, anti-2A, LEO who decide to cofinscate some or all of my guns simply because they are not "registered" to anyone or some other bogus reason.

BroncoBob
05-09-2012, 8:20 PM
Get the sons of guns

USMCM16A2
05-09-2012, 8:25 PM
Gene,

$25 in-bound to CGF. Go get them....A2

Santa Cruz Armory
05-09-2012, 8:27 PM
Another reason I love this site and the folks that are protecting our 2nd Amendment. Truly, a BIG thanks for all you guys do.

And yes, I'm on the donation payment plan. Along with matching contributions from PG&E. :43:

5thgen4runner
05-09-2012, 8:37 PM
CGF=Boss Status

wildhawker
05-09-2012, 8:39 PM
Donate, please. Also, grab a challenge coin at the store (http://store.calgunsfoundation.org/product-p/coin-001.htm).

Oh, and...

http://eightzero.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/steamroller.jpg

-Brandon

REH
05-09-2012, 8:47 PM
Donation inbound

DangerousGoods
05-09-2012, 8:49 PM
Donation made. Thank you also for the work on the LTC issue.

Ken

NoJoke
05-09-2012, 8:57 PM
I HATE spending money.

BUT

I LOVE supporting the CGF steam roller!

Donation inbound soon! :cool:

Meplat
05-09-2012, 9:00 PM
Yep, we can. Some people scheduled monthly donations in that amount.

How? I have been casting about for an easy way to make a small automatic monthy donation.

wildhawker
05-09-2012, 9:03 PM
How? I have been casting about for an easy way to make a small automatic monthy donation.

Either using the billpay service at your bank's online website, or right in our online donations page (http://bit.ly/ti2uoA) that allows you to setup recurring donations.

-Brandon

Connor P Price
05-09-2012, 9:05 PM

Use this form to set up your monthly donations or to make one time donations. (https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=calgunsfnd&id=1)

ETA: Brandon beat me to it.

CitaDeL
05-09-2012, 9:05 PM
Ok. I am in for $10.00

It's a tiny amount, but if we all do it, big things can happen.

dunndeal
05-09-2012, 9:09 PM
Oakland resident here. Since you're sueing the OPD among others I've just set up a monthly donation schedule to help defray the legal expense.

Good luck!

peterabbits
05-09-2012, 9:09 PM
Way to go guys! Challenge coin purchased.

AndrewMendez
05-09-2012, 9:17 PM
To everyone involved in this case,

THANK YOU! I've always been scared of loosing family heirlooms forever if I ran into an under-educated, anti-2A, LEO who decide to cofinscate some or all of my guns simply because they are not "registered" to anyone or some other bogus reason.

You were the first person that came to mind when I read this thread.

Meplat
05-09-2012, 9:18 PM
Either using the billpay service at your bank's online website, or right in our online donations page (http://bit.ly/ti2uoA) that allows you to setup recurring donations.

-Brandon

Thanks Brandon:

I did my NRA-ILA donations that way for a long time. I recomend it to everyone. If you don't over do it you never miss it. If you can"t do a $100, do $50, or $20, or $10. It adds up. There may only be a few here that can afford $100 or more, but with our membership size now, I'll bet there are a thousand that could do $10 and never miss it. $10,000 dollars pays for a lot of lawyer time; even good lawyers!

ETA: You too Connor. Going to set it up tonight.

Paul S
05-09-2012, 9:32 PM
Great move...I wish the team every success...donation made..wish it could be more.
Paul S

hoffmang
05-09-2012, 9:39 PM
If you can"t do a $100, do $50, or $20, or $10. It adds up. There may only be a few here that can afford $100 or more, but with our membership size now, I'll bet there are a thousand that could do $10 and never miss it. $10,000 dollars pays for a lot of lawyer time; even good lawyers!

The small ongoing donations really give us the month to month wherewithal to keep expanding the fight!

-Gene

FatCity67
05-09-2012, 9:43 PM
Since its my B-day today I just bought myself a coin.

Order number 324.

Happy b-day to me, happy b-day to me.....

Bravo Zulu CalGuns Foundation, Bravo Zulu!

nick
05-09-2012, 9:51 PM
Speaking of which, how can I change the card on file for those monthly donations? I'm consolidating all the recurring payments to one credit card.

Rusty Scabbard
05-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Great case. Thanks for fighting the good fight. Donation sent !

5thgen4runner
05-09-2012, 10:37 PM
This is what I'm talking about in my cgf credit card thread. If somehow we can get a rewards program to donate that donated to cgf with every purchase with a cc. Instead of getting miles you would be donating with every purchase not just donations or amazon but every single cc purchase it would be amazing.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

chiselchst
05-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Money VERY well spent. I'm in for a modest donation here $250 (+$250 MATCHED by my 2A loving Employer).

PLUS - the Amazon thing; FOLKS, click through the Calguns link (see my sig) to make a contribution (at no cost to you) everytime a purchase is made from Amazon!

Thanks!!!

ETA: Order Number 337

-Gene

mosinnagantm9130
05-09-2012, 11:55 PM
:D :D

Solidsnake87
05-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Good! Legally owned property should be returned.

mconrad
05-09-2012, 11:59 PM

-Brandon

Thanks for making it so easy to be a supporter. I just signed up for $25 per month. I will send more when I can afford more. CGF is invaluable to those who believe in the 2d Amendment and in personal liberty and freedom.

mjc

wildhawker
05-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks for making it so easy to be a supporter. I just signed up for $25 per month. I will send more when I can afford more. CGF is invaluable to those who believe in the 2d Amendment and in personal liberty and freedom.

mjc

Thank YOU for your support. It's the lifeblood of all our efforts.

-Brandon

mag360
05-10-2012, 6:07 AM
time for another 'pistolero' funds drive. I kknow I can give some more, and I will. Some $ to cgf tonight on mobile at work.

5.56in6.61
05-10-2012, 6:36 AM
How do you tell you are on the right Amazon link?

I'd like to send out a mass email to my contacts.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Paladin
05-10-2012, 6:40 AM
:thumbsup:

I have the Amazon link near the top of all my bookmarks so that it is handy and I have a gun related item in my Amazon Wish List so that it will remind me to make sure I've logged on thru the CGF sponsoring link.

HowardW56
05-10-2012, 7:59 AM
Ok. I am in for $10.00

It's a tiny amount, but if we all do it, big things can happen.

$10 or $20 a month, most people wouldn't miss it at all...

I try for $50 a month, or more...:D

CGF is working hard for all of us, but they need the financial support...

tankarian
05-10-2012, 8:00 AM
I hope all gun owners who were theft victims having their guns stolen by the police over the years will hear about the outcome of this lawsuit. Imagine thousands and thousands of people asking for their guns back...:)

johnny_22
05-10-2012, 8:13 AM

-Gene

$100 sent; Order number 339

Thank you!

bubbagump
05-10-2012, 8:21 AM
http://chan.catiewayne.com/z/src/130831979143.jpg

Kodemonkey
05-10-2012, 8:29 AM
The small ongoing donations really give us the month to month wherewithal to keep expanding the fight!

-Gene

Signed up for monthly contributions. Bought a t-shirt to wear at the next IDPA match :). I usually give once a year, and it's been almost a year so what the heck.. why not?

pbreed
05-10-2012, 8:31 AM
Donation sent. Keep up the good work!

Wildhawk66
05-10-2012, 8:33 AM
Excellent. This new suit is right on target as far as I am concerned. $50 cash donation made and I have to say, my new challenge coin looks great!

oaklander
05-10-2012, 8:34 AM

-Gene

Two points:

1) Gene is absolutely right. One thing that I do here in Oakland is kind of dig into what the anti-violence NGO's "look like." And I am happy to report that our PRO-CIVIL-RIGHTS NGO (CGF) operates in a way that is refreshingly lean. Much of the dysfunction that I see in local issues here is because many of the local civil rights non-profits don't really have a mission, they just say they do. CGF is obviously on a mission, and I would like to remind people that, as far as I know, we are all volunteers, and most of our internal expenses are donated or kept very low. When you donate to CGF, it goes directly to front line action.

2) With respect to Oakland, I need to remind any policymakers reading this thread that my role, as Of Counsel to CGF does not generally involve the substantive litigation, and in this case, I am not connected to this (awesome) lawsuit.

The reason I say this is because I will be meeting with some groups later this month, and one of them is OPD. I will obviously tell them that my local anti-violence work in Oakland is not connected to CGF. That being said, it is always nice to have teeth. That means that when you talk, you can also bite, if you need to. . .

ETA: and it goes without saying to please not decrease anything you would give to NRA. The various groups work together in a coalition now, and all of them work hard on this stuff.

peacedivision
05-10-2012, 8:34 AM
Cant do a monthly yet (I'm poor) but I picked up a challenge coin, order 325. Keep up the good work CGF!

Flintlock Tom
05-10-2012, 8:36 AM
Thank you, donation sent.
On a related note, the steam-roller picture, I appreciate the sentiment, but, I hope I'm not the only member who is offended by the expression beneath it.

oaklander
05-10-2012, 8:42 AM
On a related note, the steam-roller picture, I appreciate the sentiment, but, I hope I'm not the only member who is offended by the expression beneath it.

I am fairly sure that it is a riff on a Tarantino movie. . . I kind of like it, since it points out the strategy that is used against people who are actively trying to limit your freedoms.

One of the reasons they/we ARE winning is because we are not shy about righting wrongs. That image is a fan image, BTW.

But nevertheless, points out a truth.

Spelunker
05-10-2012, 8:55 AM
$100 sent to the best cause ever. Go get em fellas.

CrackedShot
05-10-2012, 10:14 AM
CGF Team, thanks for the continued good work.

Signed up for a recurring to support.

Connor P Price
05-10-2012, 10:48 AM
I am fairly sure that it is a riff on a Tarantino movie. . . I kind of like it, since it points out the strategy that is used against people who are actively trying to limit your freedoms.

One of the reasons they/we ARE winning is because we are not shy about righting wrongs. That image is a fan image, BTW.

But nevertheless, points out a truth.

Jackie Brown, one of the best Tarantino movies.

interstellar
05-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Donation sent.

newbee1111
05-10-2012, 12:03 PM
$50.00 donated. Keep them on the run.

curtisfong
05-10-2012, 12:11 PM

What is offensive about it?

4x4Trooper
05-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Hope this goes well! I have a firearm in police custody that I haven't bothered to fill out the LEGR for yet.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk 2

RJonesUSC
05-10-2012, 12:26 PM

-Brandon

I just used the the online form to setup a monthly donation as well. Thanks for all the hard work.

stix213
05-10-2012, 12:33 PM
I like that you can donate without using stupid paypal. Keep up the good work!

TransactionDate 5/10/2012
Transaction Amount $ 100.00

mud99
05-10-2012, 12:42 PM
$2000.00 donated, on behalf of my employer.

Keep up the good work!

And if you can get rid of that pesky handgun roster, and long gun registration, that would make me very happy as well.

HowardW56
05-10-2012, 1:26 PM

Keep up the good work!

And if you can get rid of that pesky handgun roster, and long gun registration, that would make me very happy as well.

NICE!!!!

NoJoke
05-10-2012, 1:33 PM

Keep up the good work!

Who is your employer? I want to be sure to support him if I can! :smokin::cool:

wildhawker
05-10-2012, 1:56 PM

Keep up the good work!

:King:

-Brandon

sreiter
05-10-2012, 3:07 PM

-Gene

What happened to the paypal method?
Was it just a oversight you didn't include it?
My preferred method of donating to you guys.
I was about to donate via paypal

wildhawker
05-10-2012, 3:33 PM
What happened to the paypal method?
Was it just a oversight you didn't include it?
My preferred method of donating to you guys.
I was about to donate via paypal

See sticky "How to Donate to The Calguns Foundation & Summary of Current Initiatives (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=108030)"; there's a PayPal donate button there.

FWIW, PayPal will always be an option but it's not preferred as it creates some additional admin time for us. As Gene mentions, time is a resource we don't have an abundance of.

-Brandon

kcbrown
05-10-2012, 4:13 PM
1) Gene is absolutely right. One thing that I do here in Oakland is kind of dig into what the anti-violence NGO's "look like." And I am happy to report that our PRO-CIVIL-RIGHTS NGO (CGF) operates in a way that is refreshingly lean. Much of the dysfunction that I see in local issues here is because many of the local civil rights non-profits don't really have a mission, they just say they do. CGF is obviously on a mission, and I would like to remind people that, as far as I know, we are all volunteers, and most of our internal expenses are donated or kept very low. When you donate to CGF, it goes directly to front line action.

There is a specific reason for this.

CGF's mission is to get out of the business of defending the right to keep and bear arms, by working to make such defense unnecessary.

I think you'll find that the people who are the very best at what they do tend to work towards making their jobs unnecessary. They try to think of ways to do things better so that they don't have to keep doing what they're doing.

That's what CGF is doing (and what SAF appears to be doing, as well), and that's why they're such an efficient force.

ETA: and it goes without saying to please not decrease anything you would give to NRA. The various groups work together in a coalition now, and all of them work hard on this stuff.

Yes, but this avoids the question of which group should be getting priority if one has to choose. Most people have limited funds. What's the most efficient distribution of those funds? My sense is that CGF and SAF are doing the most effective work right now and therefore should be receiving the lion's share of the funding right now. Once the judicial stage is set for RKBA, then NRA should start getting a larger slice of the funds because their work in the legislature will become more important, but that work is worth relatively little without the judicial backstop that CGF and SAF are building.

sreiter
05-10-2012, 4:19 PM
See sticky "How to Donate to The Calguns Foundation & Summary of Current Initiatives (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=108030)"; there's a PayPal donate button there.

FWIW, PayPal will always be an option but it's not preferred as it creates some additional admin time for us. As Gene mentions, time is a resource we don't have an abundance of.

-Brandon

Thanks Brandon... I hear you, its just i try to limit the exposure of my CC info...so, i'm set up at paypal already... sorry for any inconvenience, but i'm guessing its better then not donating ;)

donation made $50

The Tiger
05-10-2012, 6:05 PM
$25 sent order #353

And I have Amazon Prime so I will use the Amazon link when I can.

mag360
05-10-2012, 6:41 PM
I setup an additional monthly donation through the CGF site in addition to the one I send through my employer. btw is there anyway someone can tell me if they really get the donation from my employer? they go through united way so I'm curious if it even tells you it is from me or if it is going through.

oaklander
05-10-2012, 6:56 PM
Yes, but this avoids the question of which group should be getting priority if one has to choose. Most people have limited funds. What's the most efficient distribution of those funds? My sense is that CGF and SAF are doing the most effective work right now and therefore should be receiving the lion's share of the funding right now. Once the judicial stage is set for RKBA, then NRA should start getting a larger slice of the funds because their work in the legislature will become more important, but that work is worth relatively little without the judicial backstop that CGF and SAF are building.

It is more like a symphony of win. NRA tends to do the rhythm section in this state, and other groups do the solos. But on the back end, everything is somewhat connected, and we actually DO work as one team. Like I always tell people, just because you do not "see" a lot of NRA stuff here does not mean that it is not happening. For obvious political reasons, certain groups work certain ways.

I think there was a thread that explained why someone should support all groups, and I need to remind people that NRA does TONS of things at a national level that we simply do not have the resources or staff for. Everything is connected, and I urge people to remember that NRA is the #1 civil rights group for a reason. And at this point, I would assert that they are the most important of all of the groups that fight for OUR rights, at a national level.

This is especially true as we lead up into the election season. THIS election will likely be the most important one, EVER, with respect to our rights, and the future of our county.

sumdood
05-10-2012, 7:34 PM
Donations on the way!

SWalt
05-10-2012, 7:39 PM
Done deal

hoffmang
05-10-2012, 7:43 PM

Keep up the good work!

Yes and yes and yes! Thank you very much!
There is a specific reason for this.

CGF's mission is to get out of the business of defending the right to keep and bear arms, by working to make such defense unnecessary.

I think you'll find that the people who are the very best at what they do tend to work towards making their jobs unnecessary. They try to think of ways to do things better so that they don't have to keep doing what they're doing.

Quoted for extremely accurate posterity. CGF exists to stop needing to exist. Someday soon I just want to be a gun guy with some fun stories who donates to the old line gun rights groups.
so, i'm set up at paypal already... sorry for any inconvenience, but i'm guessing its better then not donating ;)

Very, very much so!

-Gene

Bolillo
05-10-2012, 8:04 PM
#: cd /etc/spare_money
#: cat ./Money > /etc/CalgunsFdn/Steamroller_of_Justice

Transaction Amount $ 50.00
Order Number 358

oaklander
05-10-2012, 8:18 PM
#: cd /etc/spare_money
#: cat ./Money > /etc/CalgunsFdn/Steamroller_of_Justice

Transaction Amount $ 50.00
Order Number 358

And:

root: cd /etc/Opposition
root: rm -r *
root: exit

:D

Bolillo
05-10-2012, 8:28 PM
And:

forgot the best part: " -f "

-f Removes all files (whether write-protected or not)
in a directory without prompting the user.

PatrickHenry
05-10-2012, 8:37 PM
Glad to see a Great cause supported.

tazmanian devil dog
05-10-2012, 8:49 PM
Destroy them! Show no mercy!!!!!

Scarecrow Repair
05-11-2012, 6:42 AM
And:

:Dforgot the best part: " -f "

Better yet:

# cd /etc
# rm -rf Opposition
# exit

Got to get rid of the hidden files too.

rero360
05-11-2012, 7:15 AM
Hehe how fitting, order 360, given my screen name, $25 to help the fight.

rkt88edmo
05-11-2012, 7:40 AM
Honestly, I have never bought a challenge coin before, been tempted and watching these get put out by different groups for over a decade, never felt strongly enough to want to own one without being a bit of a poseur. This is one I can carry proudly.

Keep up the good work CGF.

scarville
05-11-2012, 7:50 AM
Better yet:

# cd /etc
# rm -rf Opposition
# exit

Got to get rid of the hidden files too.

# find /etc/Opposition -exec shred --force --remove {} \;

Yeah. I'm a geek...

meaty-btz
05-11-2012, 7:52 AM

But -f does not remove anything with the immutable flag.....

Good job CGF nice suit.

die2surf
05-11-2012, 8:01 AM
Honestly, I have never bought a challenge coin before, been tempted and watching these get put out by different groups for over a decade, never felt strongly enough to want to own one without being a bit of a poseur. This is one I can carry proudly.

My exact thoughts. Hope my coin purchase helps as well. I will give it to my daughter, who loves to shoot her Crossman (and rolls her eyes and laughs when she hears her teacher misinterpret the 2nd Amendment).

Thanks for all of your hard work and positive results CGF. Order number is 329

oldwilly51
05-11-2012, 9:14 AM
$50.00 on the way. Keep up the good work!

chiselchst
05-11-2012, 10:18 AM
How do you tell you are on the right Amazon link?

I'd like to send out a mass email to my contacts.

You'll see *calguns* in the browser address initially. It may go away when you click further towards the cart/checkout, but CGF gets the money if accessed through that route...

Exactly the same here. But I had to have one - they're "limited" production... :D

rkt88edmo
05-11-2012, 11:11 AM
You'll see *calguns* in the browser address initially. It may go away when you click further towards the cart/checkout, but CGF gets the money if accessed through that route...

Exactly the same here. But I had to have one - they're "limited" production... :D

There have been runs where Ive been tempted to buy three because i know that 6 to 12 months later i could flip 2 get a "free" coin and make some cash. But couldn't get myself to so it given the history and tradition behind the coins.

IGOTDIRT4U
05-11-2012, 11:36 AM
lol, "ripened".

I'm gonna have to use that one soon.

johnny1290
05-11-2012, 2:03 PM
Great work, fellas.

I donate to calguns regularly because of your hard work and I feel like your actions directly benefit me.

Rossi357
05-11-2012, 3:12 PM
I don't have receipts for any of my guns, and they were bought so long ago, there may not be any records on them. I would play hell being able to prove I own them.

oaklander
05-11-2012, 6:08 PM
# find /etc/Opposition -exec shred --force --remove {} \;

Yeah. I'm a geek...

LOL, I knew that someone would know the correct way to do this. I intentionally try not to know it, just in case I get really irritated at my computer some day. . .

We are all geeks. And we need "geek" hoodies or something. . .

ETA: CALGUNS POCKET PROTECTORS!!!! FTFW!!!

wjc
05-11-2012, 6:42 PM
LOL, I knew that someone would know the correct way to do this. I intentionally try not to know it, just in case I get really irritated at my computer some day. . .

We are all geeks. And we need "geek" hoodies or something. . .

ETA: CALGUNS POCKET PROTECTORS!!!! FTFW!!!

Oh no you didn't!

Some of us are trying to get rid of that image so we can have dates. :D

sharxbyte
05-11-2012, 11:30 PM

I find it amusing that I can read all of that... :)

ERROR: Spare money -No such directory

:(

monk
05-11-2012, 11:57 PM
So I'm curious about this, wasn't there a recent court ruling that the 2nd amendment didn't apply to property? I'm not completely up on the latest so I'm just going by what little I remember, which was that because the plaintiffs weren't prevented from purchasing new firearms, the 2nd amendment wasn't being violated. I'm guessing this is were the 4th comes in?

383green
05-12-2012, 7:54 AM
Also, grab a challenge coin at the store (http://store.calgunsfoundation.org/product-p/coin-001.htm).

Done!

Also, may I helpfully suggest another idea for a fundraising item: A Brady challenge coin which has been flattened by a steamroller. :chris:

wilit
05-12-2012, 8:41 AM

-Gene

Holy hell, why haven't I heard about this Amazon link before? Bookmarked! Thanks.

mag360
05-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Holy hell, why haven't I heard about this Amazon link before? Bookmarked! Thanks.

lol, not sure it's been at the top of the 2A forum for months now.

wildhawker
05-12-2012, 10:55 AM
lol, not sure it's been at the top of the 2A forum for months now.

It's also been in all of the CGF email blasts since ~December.

If you're not getting CGF email blasts, sign up here: http://eepurl.com/hU6sY

-Brandon

Chontkleer
05-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Just signed up for recurring donations. It just didn't feel right to benefit from all your hard work otherwise.

oaklander
05-12-2012, 5:30 PM
Oh no you didn't!

Some of us are trying to get rid of that image so we can have dates. :D

Smart is sexy!

Skidmark
05-12-2012, 5:52 PM
Another donation on its way to CGF, great work, you guys.

jaymz
05-12-2012, 6:05 PM
This case almost seems like a guaranteed win. You need a reciept to prove ownership, and the cops give you one when they take your stuff, but then they say (I'm assuming), that that reciept isn't good enough. I'm sure it'd be good enough if it was a non-firearm related item.

05-12-2012, 6:06 PM
Thanks for the awesome work you and calguns foundation does for our 2A rights.
Dontation inbound later this week on payday!

frisco415
10-24-2012, 5:05 PM
This case almost seems like a guaranteed win. You need a reciept to prove ownership, and the cops give you one when they take your stuff, but then they say (I'm assuming), that that reciept isn't good enough. I'm sure it'd be good enough if it was a non-firearm related item.

nope the property list they give you wont prove ownership.. I'm going thru this now,, it only proves that you were in possession of it, not the legal owner..

wildhawker
10-24-2012, 5:58 PM
Frisco, read the Evidence Code.

Kodemonkey
10-24-2012, 6:28 PM
nope the property list they give you wont prove ownership.. I'm going thru this now,, it only proves that you were in possession of it, not the legal owner..

Possession is 9/10 of the law... Right ;)

(I mean now that the cops possess it, it's theirs)

frisco415
10-24-2012, 6:35 PM
California Evidence Code Section 637 and 638 state that possession is ownership but the police dept wants the receipts with serial numbers.. the legr for handguns shows I'm the owner but without proof of ownership (org. receipt of purchase) they wont release...

Frisco, read the Evidence Code.

frisco415
10-24-2012, 6:38 PM
Possession is 9/10 of the law... Right ;)

(I mean now that the cops possess it, it's theirs)

I wish it is was that easy.. possession does not mean she/he legally owns it.. police want proof of ownership, not proof I was in possession.. :(

wildhawker
10-24-2012, 6:57 PM
California Evidence Code Section 637 and 638 state that possession is ownership but the police dept wants the receipts with serial numbers.. the legr for handguns shows I'm the owner but without proof of ownership (org. receipt of purchase) they wont release...

So your argument is that, since some law enforcement agency has such a policy, their policy is lawful?

Did you report your issue to CGF?

-Brandon

LMTluvr
10-24-2012, 7:06 PM
Donate, please. Also, grab a challenge coin at the store (http://store.calgunsfoundation.org/product-p/coin-001.htm).

Oh, and...

http://eightzero.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/steamroller.jpg

-Brandon

Well.. I must share when I first saw this the involuntary response of " F*** YEA!" In a slightly more than " indoors" voice, inside strings in Roseville.. Why is everybody looking at me funny. It's the turrets . Honest. Bumping up donation.

HowardW56
10-24-2012, 7:22 PM
I wish it is was that easy.. possession does not mean she/he legally owns it.. police want proof of ownership, not proof I was in possession.. :(

So your argument is that, since some law enforcement agency has such a policy, their policy is lawful?

Did you report your issue to CGF?

-Brandon

Frisco, take a hint....

frisco415
10-24-2012, 7:51 PM
yep.. I left a few messages on 650 275 1015, asking what I should do the day they got confiscated 7/26.. I've emailed http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/report-other-law-enforcement.html ,, waiting for a response... This is not legal for the police to do, who is going to stop them?? this has been their policy for many years and they are not going to change it anytime soon.. :(

mrrsquared79
10-25-2012, 11:18 AM

What if you have the original receipt of purchase? Will that suffice or does the government still require you to jump through the hoops anyways?

mud99
10-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Any update on this case? It is so ridiculous I don't see how we couldn't win!

I tried to look up the case but I guess I need a PACER subscription or something.

You don't even get a receipt when you PPT a gun so the requirement is completely nonsensical.

wildhawker
10-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Frisco, email me your name, email, and phone that you reported under at the link.

HowardW56
12-08-2012, 5:59 AM
:rolleyes: There is a rumor about that San Francico folded, gave up, CGF wins another one...

Purple K
12-08-2012, 6:22 AM
A little birdie mentioned at the Richards luncheon that this was ANOTHER win for us.

mud99
12-08-2012, 2:04 PM
Proof or it didn't happen :)

hoffmang
12-08-2012, 8:35 PM
In due time... :)

-Gene

AUstate
12-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Nice :rockon: