PDA

View Full Version : High School Daughter needs controversial topic to write paper about

MrBrent
05-09-2012, 7:31 PM
My high school daughter has an assignment to write a paper on a controversial topic and to provide sources for her research. She told her teacher she was going to do something around the topic of guns. I have suggested topics like Concealed carry on campus, arming teachers and staff at schools, and Fast and Furious. Just throwing this out here because I know you all will have some great ideas to throw into the mix as well.
Thanks everyone!!

gl0ckc0ma
05-09-2012, 7:48 PM
Martin/Zimmerman

RedMonkey
05-09-2012, 7:50 PM
Assault weapons and hi-cap mags. The misunderstanding/misinformation of guns by the media and or the public.

jwb28
05-09-2012, 7:54 PM
Gun control and how it relates to racism. From the civil war to the present.

RandyD
05-09-2012, 8:15 PM
Anything that is decent, moral or righteous is controversial in California, but firearm policies is a good subject. I would narrow the subject down to one specific topic. Have her post here and ask questions and we can provide our perspectives and sources.

htfan
05-09-2012, 8:25 PM
Something pro 2A

tradecraft
05-09-2012, 8:27 PM
Black market organ trade

AK all day
05-09-2012, 8:28 PM
Same sex marriage is pretty trendy these days.

nicki
05-09-2012, 8:28 PM
There are numerous topics you could do, so let's put out some.

1. The original Jack Miller case, the one where the defendant was dead on a US Supreme court case which gutted the 2nd amendment.

2. How about the Collafax Massacre, this was the event that lead to US vs Cruinshak which gutted the 14th amendment and open the doors for the whole Jim Crow era.

3. How about the Black Panthers and the Mulford Act. The Black Panthers started carrying guns for self protection against racist cops. The legislature responded to civil rights violations by disarming the victims.

The law was signed by then Gov Reagan. The underlying issue, do people have the right to take up arms against an oppressive govt? Read the opening preamble of our Declaration of Independence before you answer this.

4. How about the Mexican Drug War, if your daughter wanted to take a Libertarian position, the solution is controversial.

Legalize drugs on our side, bankrupt the cartels.
Legalize guns in Mexico so that private citizens can protect themselves from both the cartels and corrupt government officials.

Your daughter's teacher may be "left wing", so don't have her take a picture with a direct right wing approach, rather on the gun issue, a civil rights issue.

Nicki

glockman19
05-09-2012, 8:30 PM
How about, "The Prohibition of 2A before Due Process".

ClarenceBoddicker
05-09-2012, 8:42 PM
The 1934 NFA (National Firearms Act): the be all & end all of Federal & state anti-gun laws. All of America's anti-guns are due to this law & the Miller case 5 years later. Suggest to her that she compares the Founding Fathers intent & meaning (militia not "sporting") of the 2A & apply that to the NFA as endorsed repeatedly by the SCOTUS over time.

Baconator
05-09-2012, 8:46 PM
strippers for Jesus

ewarmour
05-09-2012, 9:04 PM
Waco or Ruby Ridge

SkyStorm82
05-09-2012, 9:13 PM
9mm vs. 45
Figure it would be good for 1 suspension. 3 detentions. 6 students removed from the class, and 8 verbal warnings.

psssniper
05-09-2012, 9:21 PM
Aborting unborn gay whales

PanaDP
05-09-2012, 9:21 PM
If I were in her shoes, I would write about the place of gun ownership in a modern society. There is a lot of data out there from crime rates vs. guns being banned and un-banned in Washington D.C., to the gun culture and incredibly low crime rates in Switzerland, and the horrible violence in Mexico despite most guns of any authority being prohibited to citizens. It's an interesting topic with a wealth of opinions and facts.

REH
05-09-2012, 9:22 PM
I guess when you post this question in a gun form, guns would be the topic. How about the EPA? If she digs deep, she will discover how the EPA laws are detrimental to construction, manufacturing etc. How much cost is added to everyday products we use.

Chameleon Loco
05-09-2012, 9:26 PM
and I also had to do the same research project. I did my paper on gun control, but I wrote the paper against it not for it.

CSACANNONEER
05-09-2012, 9:40 PM
Hunting vs. SPCA, PETA, etc. She can go into how hunters are the main source of revenue to protect game animal, hunting culs game animals, etc. She should also research what happened with the 100 head of deer transplanted from Angel Island to Cow Mt. back in the late 70's or early 80's and, how 100 hunters were already picked and paid to hunt the starving animals. Then, animal rights groups stepped in and cost the state $1000s per head to transplant them instead. After the first snow fall most had been hit by cars or died of starvation since, they didn't know how to find food under the snow. In the end, the schedualed hunt would have kept 100 head of deer from the needless suffering that the animal rights groups' actions caused. Also, the state would have been ahead by well over $100,000. She might even have to do real research (contact DFG for the story or statistics) instead of just using tthe internet.

MrBrent
05-09-2012, 9:55 PM
Great ideas everyone. I will go though this thread with her!
Thanks

AngelZ3R0
05-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Logic. That seems to be very controversial now a days.

Connor P Price
05-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I'd go with assault weapon or high cap magazine bans. They are certainly controversial and they are easy to explain, even to a layperson on the gun topic, why they are ineffective at preventing crime and a hindrance on self defense.

kel-tec-innovations
05-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Black water and private military. There many documentary and article which makes the paper easier to write.

command_liner
05-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Try use of letters of marque and reprisal.

Manolito
05-09-2012, 10:30 PM
i will offer the subject already listed WACO Texas. I can't think of a more controversial subject and outcome.

The other subject is the militarization of our police forces. The transformation from a single revolver to a minimum of three lethal weapons all borrowed from the military. There is a strong thought that we should be more scared of the police than a real attacker.

NotEnufGarage
05-09-2012, 11:03 PM
How about indoctrination in the education establishment?

FXR
05-09-2012, 11:10 PM
I've heard several stories about kids turning in a topic for approval and then being assigned to write the opposite point of view... which will probably make your daughter a better writer (and BS-er) but might make her miss out on learning some important history. Worth watching out for.

battleship
05-09-2012, 11:30 PM
The BS that is the Cali safe gun roster, and how its in place to make the state money and nothing else.
Tac on the Black rifle and all its stupid requirements.

Lugiahua
05-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Warren v. District of Columbia case, on if government has the obligation to protect each individual

I bet no one in her class ever heard about it, work even better if she was doing a presentation for the project.

MMA
05-10-2012, 12:14 AM
write a paper on how hard it is to fire bad teachers.

that ought to be controversial, at least with her teacher.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-050309-me-badteachers-f,0,7972474.flash

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-teachers3-2009may03,0,679507.story

http://reason.com/archives/2006/10/01/how-to-fire-an-incompetent-tea

chiselchst
05-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Gun rights (2A) vs. the mainstream Press - the bias analyzed.

Mucho controversial, likely unpopular in a (public) school...

mbt
05-10-2012, 3:27 AM
How about (I don't know if this is really controversial, but):
The right to use a FA against 6 cops maliciously beating someone unarmed to death.

The War Wagon
05-10-2012, 5:41 AM
Any CHRISTIAN subject should do. :rolleyes:

CitaDeL
05-10-2012, 6:39 AM
A treatise on the hypocritically untenable dichotomy of being both pro-choice and anti-capital punishment.

MrBrent
05-10-2012, 6:58 AM
[QUOTE=MMA;8552493]write a paper on how hard it is to fire bad teachers.

that ought to be controversial, at least with her teacher.

This made me laugh out loud this morning! I agree with you about your topic. BTW my wife is an elementary school teacher. Or how about taking a $100 per month from her pay check in union dues to politically fight against everything we believe in.:(

eltee
05-10-2012, 8:56 AM
In some rural school districts in Texas, etc. they are REQUIRING teachers who are qualified to obtain a CCW and pack at school. I teach Active Shooter strategies to schools and this issue came up. The Texans accept that the cops will NOT arrive in time to save kids, especially those schools in the boonies.

Another possible topic which allows a compare and contrast element is the correlation between CCW friendly states and the prevailing violent crime statistics compared to non CCW states. Compare, for instance, the level of violent crime on citizens with similar demographics between California and Nevada, Texas, etc.

If the pro-gun stance makes her vulnerable, maybe a reversal strategy. Compare the crime rates prior to and after the implementation of Draconian gun laws. Is California safer with all the gun laws enacted in that past couple of decades? Have the DROS, AW Ban, Open Carry ban, etc. resulted in a safer state?

I wish her well in her endeavors. It is cool that she is willing to push the envelope.

taperxz
05-10-2012, 9:16 AM
To the OP, A while back, I helped my daughter (college student) register here and ask questions in a devils advocate role to do a debate in class followed by a report. Even here she was almost immediately labeled a troll even after she told people her dad was a CGN user. If you ask questions here for help, be sure you are doing it with her and let others know what you are doing.

What we learned was that this topic (guns) in school WILL end up being an unsettled can of worms. Mostly because politically, guns in America is an unsettled can of worms.

My advise would be to pick a very specific part of guns, self defense, hunting, ect. To do a report on. Try to be as specific as possible so she can achieve an outcome to obtain of good grade. good luck!!

DannyInSoCal
05-10-2012, 9:21 AM
How about Obama's clear anti-2A voting record -

And the danger faced with his reelection...

IVC
05-10-2012, 10:35 AM
My high school daughter has an assignment to write a paper on a controversial topic and to provide sources for her research.

Just a word of caution - when a school asks for "controversial," it usually doesn't mean to the point of rocking their core beliefs. For example, as someone pointed out above, the controversy about teachers' unions, benefits, etc. are likely to be labeled "propaganda" instead of being seen as a discussion. It's just how the schools work. Similarly, raising 2A issues can bring a lot of "singling out" down the road to your daughter, so make sure she understands the tradeoff of being right vs. not fitting in. After all, schools can still suspend students even for a drawing of a gun.

All said, for me it would be a tossup between: (1) Cats are smarter than dogs; and (2) Hugging trees without their explicit consent.

shy 7th
05-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Electoral College:
Should winning the popular vote entitle a candidate to all delegates/electors in a state? Or should the electors be split proportionally to the popular vote? Should there be electors at all? How would past elections have been effected without the electoral college?

Right to vote for the average citizen:
Should the average, stupid, poor, citizen be allowed to vote on things they don't understand or about things from which they only stand to gain or should the right to vote be reserved for those smart enough to comprehend the consquenses of their vote or stand to lose from it? Should there be an intelligence test? Should the poll tax be reinstituted? Should the poor be allowed to vote themselves money from the coffers of the state? Contoversely, should the rich be allowed to control the government, despite the fact they stand to lose the most by it?

Super P.A.C.s:
Should they be allowed? (this also ties into the 1st A.) What's the point of limiting campaign donations and a candidate's campaign spending if a P.A.C. can spend as much as they want? Is this a way for the super-rich to influence elections?

Redistricting (Jerrymandering):
Populations change, cities grow and shrink, redistricting seems necessary, but is it really? Should there be limits? Should redrawing district lines be eliminated? Should districts be geographic or demographic (representing the area or representing the people)?

sandwich
05-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Either at the state/Constitution level (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullification_%28U.S._Constitution%29) or at judicial/jury leve (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification)l would make for a hot topic.

mdimeo
05-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Silencer bans.
- history (1934)
- comparison to europe (often required while hunting)
- hearing damage
- use by police

dagtwo
05-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Aborting unborn gay whales

lmao... I like your humor

emcon5
05-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Probably won't go over well in High School, but I had a communications class in college that included a debate. None of the canned topics the professor gave were interesting, so we did something different and debated the merits of legalizing prostitution, me and another guy for it, 2 girls against it.

With a little digging in the library, we found that at the time ( ~1991, but I believe this is still the case) there have been no cases of HIV from state licensed brothels in Nevada, and health checks and condom use is mandatory. We dug up an article about prostitution in Detroit that said 70% of the street ho's were HIV+. (I know, apples vs oranges, but none of the sheep in the class questioned it). We also covered the reduced incidence of victimization of the women, either by pimps or clients when at a licensed facility. Been a long time, I don't remember the specifics.

My closing was a paraphrased from George Carlin: "Selling is legal. Sex is legal. Why is selling sex illegal? Why should it be a crime to sell something that is fine if freely given away?"

Bhobbs
05-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Whether or not aborting a gay fetus is a hate crime.

voiceofreason
05-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Gun control and how it relates to racism. From the civil war to the present.

Lots of information available to her on this topic. Could be an easy A for her.

mag360
05-10-2012, 1:04 PM
gun control- racial and anti poor backgrund.

Some good references in Gun Fight by adam winkler.

Baconator
05-10-2012, 1:12 PM
the Unconstitutionality of the Civil War.

tenpercentfirearms
05-10-2012, 1:28 PM
Legalizing prostitution.

DRM6000
05-10-2012, 1:32 PM
The US Constituion - The original intent and modern day perversion.

Bt Doctur
05-10-2012, 1:42 PM
Might investigate how 13 year olds get their CCW and the result of victim CCW.
http://www.myfoxal.com/story/18067000/troubling-photos-surface-13-year-old-robbery-suspect-jaqures-walker

stix213
05-10-2012, 2:11 PM
If she is looking for a good grade, she should choose a controversial topic where her position will be the same as the teacher's. I've never seen a teacher make an assignment like this where the teacher's personal opinion of the topic didn't weigh heavily on the grade.

greg36f
05-10-2012, 2:25 PM
Black water and private military. There many documentary and article which makes the paper easier to write.

This would be a good one. I think that Rome did this (hired out military duties) and that it was part of their fall. Tie in the fact that we should or should not have a draft and how a draft would possible make people a little more invested in military decisions.

Do we as Americans OWE our country anything?

Should there be conditions met in order to vote? ID, Military service, property ownership, not on public assistance?

Was the civil war more about economic conditions and the conflict between a culture based on agriculture and a culture based on industry than slavery?

What part did slavery actually play in the decision to go to war?

Do we as a society NEED or REQUIRE and moral reason to go to war, or are we willing to go to war for economic reasons?

An example would be Kuwait. The stated purpose was always "those poor people had their country invaded; we must go and help them". To heck with that, we went there to protect our oil and establish a presence in the Middle East. I am fine with that. I am willing to fight for economic reasons; I don't need some fake moral reason.

I rambled a bit, but those are some ideas’

intheknow
05-10-2012, 2:28 PM
How the gas companies got rid of the electric car !

gl0ckc0ma
05-10-2012, 2:38 PM
how bout North Koreans eating dry up babies.

calif 15-22
05-10-2012, 3:55 PM
Just a word of caution - when a school asks for "controversial," it usually doesn't mean to the point of rocking their core beliefs. For example, as someone pointed out above, the controversy about teachers' unions, benefits, etc. are likely to be labeled "propaganda" instead of being seen as a discussion. It's just how the schools work. Similarly, raising 2A issues can bring a lot of "singling out" down the road to your daughter, so make sure she understands the tradeoff of being right vs. not fitting in. After all, schools can still suspend students even for a drawing of a gun.

All said, for me it would be a tossup between: (1) Cats are smarter than dogs; and (2) Hugging trees without their explicit consent.

IVC has it right with this ^^^^^^

Remember his daughter is in High School and the audience is her high school teacher who most likely might not be a big gun supporter. Hate to see the poor girl get a "C+" with a "You'll shoot your eye out" comment in red on the top of the paper.

If she is set on something "Gun related" maybe a paper on female target and or olympic shooters vs their male counterparts. "Who's a better shot" kind of topic. Gun related but somewhat generic as to a position on pro vs anti.

Just a thought . . .we all know women are better shots anyway :rolleyes:

Glock22Fan
05-10-2012, 5:25 PM
and I also had to do the same research project. I did my paper on gun control, but I wrote the paper against it not for it.

Why wouldn't you? You are on our side, aren't you?

Writing in favor of gun control might be (statistically) the safer bet. Sadly, many teachers don't like guns, and hold other liberal beliefs, and penalize those with opposing viewpoints, especially if the paper will be read or publicised in class.

terr0rt0telc0
05-10-2012, 5:34 PM
How about how the federal is forcing the school system to teach their books and crap or they cut funding. How about the lack of teaching morals and reading, writing and arithmetic. Get rid of the govt run U.S. Department of Education, give the right back to the states.

Lugiahua
05-10-2012, 5:59 PM
I did a pro-CCW/campus carry paper in a college class, which is not the most radical topic compared to legalize any drugs or repeal immigration laws.

huntercf
05-10-2012, 7:50 PM
Assault weapons and hi-cap mags. The misunderstanding/misinformation of guns by the media and or the public.

+1 on that, along with how does having a BB and only 10 rd mags prevent crime?

Kid Stanislaus
05-10-2012, 8:49 PM
Same sex marriage is pretty trendy these days.

Beat me to it!!:D

CrysisMonkey
05-11-2012, 2:02 AM
AR v AK

Glock v M&P v XD

:)

psssniper
05-11-2012, 7:24 AM
.45 vs. 9mm

anothergunnut
05-11-2012, 7:31 AM
Since your daughter has indicated that she wants to do a topic related to guns, I would suggest the history of gun control as it relates to racism. She can emphasize the racism angle over the gun control angle which would help insulate her from a gun hating teacher. Present it as just one more Jim Crow law designed to disenfranchise the recently freed slaves; what leftist would think racism is okay even if it was banning guns?

bigboarstopper
05-11-2012, 9:44 AM
How about a report the similarities between senate bill 1221 (the ban on the use of hounds for hunting in California) and the ban on gay marriage in California.

Democrats are in favor of banning the use of hounds for hunting because it is considered immoral, unethical and wrong.

Republicans are opposed to it because they believe in personal freedoms and do not want the "majority" (non hunters) passing laws, judgement and regulation on the "minority" (hunters)

The funny thing about the explanations of both sides is that it's the same argument in regards to gay marriage except the positions are reversed.

chicoredneck
05-11-2012, 9:51 AM
How about a report the similarities between senate bill 1221 (the ban on the use of hounds for hunting in California) and the ban on gay marriage in California.

Democrats are in favor of banning the use of hounds for hunting because it is considered immoral, unethical and wrong.

Republicans are opposed to it because they believe in personal freedoms and do not want the "majority" (non hunters) passing laws, judgement and regulation on the "minority" (hunters)

The funny thing about the explanations of both sides is that it's the same argument in regards to gay marriage except the positions are reversed.

That would be an epic class discussion!

curtisfong
05-11-2012, 9:54 AM
or fois gras
or abortion