PDA

View Full Version : why did doj agents come to my house

jhnjhn
05-09-2012, 6:54 PM
Two state of California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms agents came to my house and asked if I had a firearm registered in my name. I figured they were talking about a 357 I had years ago and destroyed by the local sheriff department. I have the paperwork somewhere but not handy so they left a card and said to email them a scan of the paperwork when I find it. I thought it was very weird that they came to my house saying they were doing a routine audit. I didn't ask them any further questions as to why they came to my house. Has anybody else heard of this and have further details as to why and what they would have done if I still had it?

Chaos47
05-09-2012, 7:28 PM
That sounds fishy as hell. Never heard of this.

Did they look legit? Not to be paranoid but maybe they where crooks casing your house? :TFH:

SoCal Bob
05-09-2012, 7:30 PM
There have been several threads about DOJ making compliance visits to people who have had their rights restricted because of a 5150 or qualifying convictions. Don't know if any of that applies in your case.

CBruce
05-09-2012, 7:32 PM
I figured they were talking about a 357 I had years ago and destroyed by the local sheriff department.

Uh...why did the local sheriff department destroy your 357?

Chaos47
05-09-2012, 7:39 PM
There have been several threads about DOJ making compliance visits to people who have had their rights restricted because of a 5150 or qualifying convictions. Don't know if any of that applies in your case.

Ah makes sense.
Disregard my :TFH: post haha!

1BigPea
05-09-2012, 7:46 PM
Two state of California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms agents came to my house and asked if I had a firearm registered in my name. I figured they were talking about a 357 I had years ago and destroyed by the local sheriff department. I have the paperwork somewhere but not handy so they left a card and said to email them a scan of the paperwork when I find it. I thought it was very weird that they came to my house saying they were doing a routine audit. I didn't ask them any further questions as to why they came to my house. Has anybody else heard of this and have further details as to why and what they would have done if I still had it?

So you have no other firearms besides the destroyed 357? You should have asked more questions...

Why was your 357 destroyed?

Tempus
05-09-2012, 8:00 PM
Interesting first post.

htfan
05-09-2012, 8:22 PM
It seems we're missing some of the more important facts from the OP...

Rossi357
05-09-2012, 9:20 PM

I would email them that I would be glad to comply with their request if they could produce a court order. If they came back, I would invite them off my property unless they have a search warrant. I would also refuse to answer any questions.
This is not legal advice, just what I would do in this case.

REH
05-09-2012, 9:27 PM
Hmmmmm. Destroyed your 357. If they knew it was yours, why not return it?

Purple K
05-09-2012, 9:29 PM
Not all "destroyed" guns get destroyed. My ex-girlfriend was recently contacted by a local LEA to inform her that her handgun was recovered from a criminal when he was apprehended, and to ask her to bring proof of ownership when she came to claim it. The kicker is that she had surrendered it to the Sherriff's Dept. years before to be destroyed.

wildhawker
05-09-2012, 9:30 PM

Contact us at www.calgunsfoundation.org/hotline.

-Brandon

paul0660
05-09-2012, 9:32 PM
Welcome!

dantodd
05-09-2012, 9:40 PM
Contact us at www.calgunsfoundation.org/hotline.

-Brandon

Heh.... Happy coincidence with today's press release.

Paul S
05-09-2012, 10:39 PM

No disrespect meant...but why in the heck DID YOU NOT ask them while they were there?

jhnjhn
05-09-2012, 11:00 PM
I was actually commited for a 5150 and around the same time my wife insisted I get the 357 destroyed. After treatment and meds, I've been well for several years now. I didn't ask questions because they said it was just a routine audit of their database... making me think even if I asked more questions, they would not tell me more than that. I also didn't even think to mention I also have an old shotgun. I guess if they come back I should just not volunteer any info and hopefully it will be over once I show them the destruction cert. They were legit, got their business card and looked them up. They were in uniform strapped with stun guns, but driving an unmarked minivan.

battleship
05-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Routine audit from there database, is this true, they actually do this, like the OP just mentioned his 5150 must be a red flag, but my question is do they actually randomly pull a name up and then come to your house for any reason they could think of. That's a bit troubling. Not that i have anything to hide but i wouldn't want someone coming around like this its unnerving.

ClarenceBoddicker
05-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Not all "destroyed" guns get destroyed. My ex-girlfriend was recently contacted by a local LEA to inform her that her handgun was recovered from a criminal when he was apprehended, and to ask her to bring proof of ownership when she came to claim it. The kicker is that she had surrendered it to the Sherriff's Dept. years before to be destroyed.

Shocking, I wonder what the "official" story lie was on that one. BTW many LE agencies part out (sell everything but the frame or receiver) the guns & sell them on GunBroker & keep the profits.

nick
05-10-2012, 12:56 AM
That sounds fishy as hell. Never heard of this.

Did they look legit? Not to be paranoid but maybe they where crooks casing your house? :TFH:

That's a given either way. Could've been DOJ crooks casing his house for an official raid :p

taperxz
05-10-2012, 9:26 AM
Didn't Kamala say that BOF was going step up enforcement of illegally owned guns by prohibited people? Only way to do that would be to knock on doors of gun owners who have since been declared prohibited. She was even looking for funding for this via DROS fees.

MudCamper
05-10-2012, 9:38 AM
Didn't Kamala say that BOF was going step up enforcement of illegally owned guns by prohibited people? Only way to do that would be to knock on doors of gun owners who have since been declared prohibited. She was even looking for funding for this via DROS fees.

Yes. Actually, pre-Kamala the CA DOJ started running prohibited persons databases through their gun registration database and then going out and knocking on peoples doors. I saw a newspaper article on it a year or so ago. Can't remember what paper... They were lauding it as some noble effort to "get illegal guns off the streets". :rolleyes:

ETA: APPS - Armed and Prohibited Persons System - Many news stories on it. Here's a recent one: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/assignment_7&id=8193444

SoCal Bob
05-10-2012, 10:29 AM
I was actually commited for a 5150 and around the same time my wife insisted I get the 357 destroyed. After treatment and meds, I've been well for several years now. I didn't ask questions because they said it was just a routine audit of their database... making me think even if I asked more questions, they would not tell me more than that. I also didn't even think to mention I also have an old shotgun. I guess if they come back I should just not volunteer any info and hopefully it will be over once I show them the destruction cert. They were legit, got their business card and looked them up. They were in uniform strapped with stun guns, but driving an unmarked minivan.

Wildhawker provided a link for you to contact about this matter, if you haven't already done so I implore you to do it immediately . DOJ is known to view Calguns and, through the magic of email, I don't think it will take them too long to put a name to this set of facts.

mhho
05-11-2012, 6:14 AM
jhnjhn,

What did it say on the search warrant that you asked to see before letting them in?

donw
05-11-2012, 7:32 AM
it could be the 357 turned up at a crime scene, or in the hands of an offender, which would show it was NOT destroyed.

that scenario would generate lots of questions...

but...if you have certification it WAS destroyed and you are NOT in possession of it. i'd say you're "Home free"

and yes...demand a search warrant if they return if they don't have one.