PDA

View Full Version : I have ADHD can I own guns?

Chameleon Loco
05-09-2012, 6:30 PM
I was diagnosed with ADHD in the 5th grade and I know that people with some mental conditions are prohibited from owning guns. I have never had a single ticket or been arrested in my entire life if that helps.

HowardW56
05-09-2012, 6:37 PM
I was diagnosed with ADHD in the 5th grade and I know that people with some mental conditions are prohibited from owning guns. I have never had a single ticket or been arrested in my entire life if that helps.

Have you ever been found to be a danger to yourself or others?

If not, there shouldn't be any problem...

mud99
05-09-2012, 6:39 PM
Yes you can!

However, you may end up owning many, many guns...

00Medic
05-09-2012, 6:42 PM
You should be good to go. My wife has ADHD and has had no problems with any firearm purchases.

Chameleon Loco
05-09-2012, 6:42 PM
And yes lol I know guns are like lays you cant just have one.

Chaos47
05-09-2012, 7:58 PM
I high doubt it for ADHD. You have never been found "mentally adjudicated" right?
If not and you don't have any criminal record you are probably good to go.

BTW you could always request the Department of Justice to conduct a firearms eligibility background check...
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd...s/pfecapp.pdf?

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#2
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pfecfaqs

Kid Stanislaus
05-09-2012, 8:07 PM
And yes lol I know guns are like lays you cant just have one.

I'll tell ya for certain, I've never been satified with just one lay!:D

orangeusa
05-09-2012, 8:19 PM
Dude - half the guys on OT are ADHD, I swear. :)

RickD427
05-09-2012, 8:37 PM
There is no mental diagnosis, standing alone, that creates a bar to ownership.

If you have been "Adjudicated" as mentally ill, then there is a federal bar to possession.

If you have been detained under certain provisions of California's Welfare and Institution's Code section 5150, then there is a five year bar to possession.

California law also makes it illegal to possess firearms if a therapist has made specific findings and has reported them.

A major part of responsible firearms ownership is to know the impact of your condition on your ability to handle firearms. If there is a limitation imposed by your condition, it's much better for you to exercise judgment to refrain from possession rather than have the government impose it on you.

If your condition does not impose such a limitation, please enjoy your rights.

Chameleon Loco
05-09-2012, 8:44 PM
I thought my mom had ruined my right to bear arms just so she could get me on adderal. Also I dont believe that any of the therapists I went had cause to report me for anything as I never had suicidal thoughts and I never wanted to cause anyone harm.

WDE91
05-09-2012, 8:46 PM
try having adhd and just having random guns spin through your head
over/under
AOW
Glock 20
S&W 686

ya its bad my friend
ya you will be fine

Liberty Customs
05-09-2012, 9:04 PM

You be fine. Just change your screen name and buy lots of cleaning supplies. It sounds like you'll be cleaning it a lot. :D

stitchnicklas
05-09-2012, 9:25 PM
adhd is not a mental illness it is a learning disorder like ADD.

so good to go.

voiceofreason
05-09-2012, 9:43 PM
Be careful if/when reloading your own ammo.

Vacaville
05-09-2012, 9:58 PM
ADHD in 5th grade does not necessarily carry on into adulthood. For most people, the exteme characteristics fade away when they are in their teens.

deter
05-09-2012, 10:03 PM
I was diagnosed ADD in first grade, was on ritalin for 10 years.

Bought an OLL a couple months ago. You'll be fine.

On another note... CATGUN
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/ubersecret/Jumbotron.jpg

2nd Shot
05-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Also diagnosed ADHD here too. Was on Ritalin/Adderal for 10 years as well. You'll be just fine.

In fact, having ADHD probably just makes you a firearms SUPER USER!! Enjoy your rights.

ClarenceBoddicker
05-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Well it depends. If you can fill out your Federal permission to buy & own a gun form #4473 correctly (don't lie on the questions as it's a Federal crime to do that & they do check most of your answers) & are not a so called "2A excluded" person, you will be OK.

4DMASTR
You should be fine...

lowend65
Can you pay attention long enough to fill out the paperwork? :D

Seriously, you'll have no issues.

AndrewMendez
05-09-2012, 10:25 PM
ADHD is such a sham. OP, I was diagnosed with that when I was younger, because I didn't pay attention to my teachers...Yet, I can be at work completely focused for hours on end, I can spend hours taking guns apart while listening to music, and surfing CalGuns at the same time, and stay on track, and I can even walk AND chew bubblegum while talking on my cell phone!!! But if you ask a Doctor..i need to be on meds.

With that being said...what type of gun are you going to buy first?

You HAVE to have a shotgun..

BUT, you can't not have a pistol to go with it...

And everyone needs an AR....

But you can't have an AR without an AK

But you can't not have at least a few guns from WWII....

;)

Patriot Man
05-09-2012, 10:57 PM
I personally find all these new labels and diagnosis given by psychologist/psychiatrists a bit over the top. Training us to be "victims" needing lots of pharmaceuticals to "cure" what used to be called an "a very active young boy" in your case. Sounds like you have accepted the label placed upon you and now want to know if it's ok if big brother will permit you to have a firearm? Do a little research on SSRI's... Don't mean to sound rude, but I don't think you needed to even ask the question. I am sure in time, these diagnosis will become an excuse to remove firearm rights from all but the most "perfect" people in our society. Self defense is a human right.

Meplat
05-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Be careful if/when reloading your own ammo.

It may also be a good idea to use propellants that if double charged will run the case over.:43: (joak!)

I have a nephew that has ADHD. Iíll spare you the details, but he was defiantly a danger to himself and others at 6 or 7 years old. With the help of his parents (his mom has a masters in child development and his dad in clinical psychology), and a very, sympathetic, holistic MD. I watched him overcome and get a grip on it. He is now a very successful adult and I hunt with him all the time. He can cover my six any day.

Look in the mirror, and if you would trust the man that is looking back at you with the life of the people you love the most in this world; go for it!

Meplat
05-09-2012, 11:10 PM
I was diagnosed ADD in first grade, was on ritalin for 10 years.

Bought an OLL a couple months ago. You'll be fine.

On another note... CATGUN
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/ubersecret/Jumbotron.jpg

Is that a really big cat, or a really small AR?

Stonewalker
05-09-2012, 11:14 PM
ADHD is a subject about which I am educated and passionate. You are fine. Popular culture misunderstands ADHD to an insane degree, and it is also over-diagnosed in children to an insane degree. These are different debates, but no matter what, ADHD is not a condition over which you can be barred from owning firearms. Or carrying firearms for that matter (though I would LOVE to see that situation get hashed out in federal court).

Chameleon Loco
05-09-2012, 11:28 PM
I have been shooting for over 7 years with my dad and know how to properly handle a gun. I also tried looking up the answer on the Internet but I got mixed answers. Btw I as I have got older I noticed that I have become less hyper and impulsive and only take my adderal when I have a mid term, finals, or a really big test.

Patriot Man
05-09-2012, 11:29 PM
ADHD is such a sham. OP, I was diagnosed with that when I was younger, because I didn't pay attention to my teachers...Yet, I can be at work completely focused for hours on end, I can spend hours taking guns apart while listening to music, and surfing CalGuns at the same time, and stay on track, and I can even walk AND chew bubblegum while talking on my cell phone!!! But if you ask a Doctor..i need to be on meds.

With that being said...what type of gun are you going to buy first?

You HAVE to have a shotgun..

BUT, you can't not have a pistol to go with it...

And everyone needs an AR....

But you can't have an AR without an AK

But you can't not have at least a few guns from WWII....

;)

Well said, brother :D

deter
05-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Is that a really big cat, or a really small AR?

Both? It's a PSA A4gery ^_^

He's a evil loving cat with his teeth

Plisk
05-10-2012, 3:53 AM
Here is all the info you need to answer your questions OP:

The most important part....Oooo something shiny!

Capybara
05-10-2012, 11:27 AM
It sounds as if you can own guns. But good luck on hitting that, look a train!