PDA

View Full Version : June 3: CGF, Santa Cruz Arms Multi-State Carry License, Handgun Course in SF Bay Area

wildhawker
05-09-2012, 3:53 PM
http://calgunsfoundation.org/images/cgf_santacruzarms.jpg

As part of its continuing mission to educate and assist law-abiding Californians in the exercise of their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms, The Calguns Foundation is proud to announce a multi-state cooperative carry license training opportunity in the San Francisco Bay Area. The class, to be held on June 3, 2012, at Coyote Valley Sporting Clays in Morgan Hill, will be lead by NRA certified instructor Steve Wasylko of Santa Cruz Arms Firearms Training.

This comprehensive one-day course will provide the basis for carry licensure (or carry by reciprocity) in all states that "surround California” and more, including Arizona, Oregon, and Florida. (Note that an Arizona license is valid in Nevada via reciprocity.) Arizona and Florida carry license application packets, including fingerprint cards, will be provided to all students at the class.

Steve has been actively involved with firearms for over 25 years and is a certified Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home, and Personal Protection Outside the Home trainer. Steve is also approved by the Santa Cruz Sheriff's Department to provide their required training required for a California License to Carry.

Topics covered during the course of training include:

- Firearms Safety
- Ammunition Selection
- Clearing Malfunctions
- Carry Safety and the Defensive Mindset
- Components Essential for Lawful Self Defense
- Strategies for Personal Safety Outside the Home
- Presenting the Pistol from a Holster
- Utilizing Cover and Concealment
- Defensive Shooting Fundamentals & Skills
- Engaging Multiple Targets

The course is compromised of classroom time as well as range time.

Date: Sunday, June 3, 2012

Time: Starts 9:00 a.m. sharp, ends 5:00 p.m (there will be a break for lunch)

Location: Coyote Valley Sporting Clays, 1000 San Bruno Ave., Morgan Hill, CA - http://www.coyoteclays.com/

For more information, please visit http://bit.ly/KMMqpi.

chiselchst
05-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Fantastic Brandon!

I know folks interested...info and links sent to them. :D

wildhawker
05-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Fantastic Brandon!

I know folks interested...info and links sent to them. :D

Thanks a ton! The moar the merrier!

-Brandon

Kid Stanislaus
05-10-2012, 8:41 PM
AND its a mere $175!!

truthseeker
05-10-2012, 9:03 PM
I just paid!
Can't wait to visit my home state (Florida) this summer carrying!

goober
05-10-2012, 9:31 PM
registered and paid.
looking forward to it. :D

truthseeker
05-16-2012, 9:39 AM
Will this meet the requirements for Sacramento County for the "refresher course" for the 2 year renewal?

Santa Cruz Arms
05-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Will this meet the requirements for Sacramento County for the "refresher course" for the 2 year renewal?

Unfortunately, it appears that it will not. Their website requirements seemed to indicate it would be fine. It states on the website:

CCW Permit Renewals (every 2 years) - Prior to renewal, complete at least a 4-hour legal firearms update refresher course. Qualify on each gun you want listed on your CCW Permit.*

*As of January 1, 2012, all CCW applicants’ range training and qualification courses must be completed by an instructor certified by:

The California Department of Justice or
The California Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and Investigative Services or
The Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training

I am a California Department of Justice certified instructor and the class is "at least" 4 hours..

But then I clicked a link to their "policies & procedures" (link: http://www.sacsheriff.com/organization/office_of_the_sheriff/images/ccw_process.pdf and it has conflicting information:

Prior to renewal, permit holders must complete a legal firearms update refresher course offered by any local range or security academy, every other year

Bold by me... I called SSD and they stated that they are only accepting training from local Sacramento based instructors/ranges, etc.

Best,
Steve

Santa Cruz Arms
05-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Looking forward to meeting everyone attending the class!

At the rate we're booking the class as of now, it looks like it will most likely max out. If you want in the class, please sign up soon.

If anyone has any other questions about the class, please feel free to reply here or contact me directly.

Best,
Steve

wildhawker
05-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Unfortunately, it appears that it will not. Their website requirements seemed to indicate it would be fine. It states on the website:

I am a California Department of Justice certified instructor and the class is "at least" 4 hours..

But then I clicked a link to their "policies & procedures" (link: http://www.sacsheriff.com/organization/office_of_the_sheriff/images/ccw_process.pdf and it has conflicting information:

Bold by me... I called SSD and they stated that they are only accepting training from local Sacramento based instructors/ranges, etc.

Best,
Steve

That's a very interesting issue.

-Brandon

Santa Cruz Arms
05-16-2012, 1:21 PM
That's a very interesting issue.

-Brandon

No doubt. It's interesting on a few different aspects:

1. The whole need to be certified by:

The California Department of Justice or
The California Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and Investigative Services or
The Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training

but leaving out NRA certified instructors..

There is NO training or test to become a California Department of Justice certified instructor.. You fill out a one page form and the ONLY requirement is provide proof of training and certification from one of a number of sources. One being:

NRA certified instructor.

It doesn't make sense to leave out NRA certified instructors.. :rolleyes:

On the "policies and procedures" PDF provided by the SSD http://www.sacsheriff.com/organization/office_of_the_sheriff/images/ccw_process.pdf

There seems to be no "local" requirement for the training for an initial applicant:

Issuance Criteria For Consideration Pursuant to California Penal Code § 12050:

Proof that the person applying is of good moral character
Proof that good cause exists for the issuance
Proof that the person applying is a resident of the county or a city within the county. Only residents of the unincorporated area of Sacramento County May apply. No persons residing outside of the county will be issued a Permit with our agency.
Proof that the person applying has completed, at least, a 16-hour course of training including instruction on firearm safety and the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm
Proof of no statutory prohibitions.

Bold by me.. No mention of "local".

"Local" is only listed on the renewal applicant section.

Conditions After Issuance of Approved Permits:

Prior to renewal, permit holders must complete a legal firearms update refresher course offered by any local range or security academy, every other year .
No firearm is permitted to be carried unless qualification documentation is on file with this department and the weapon is listed on the CCW Permit.
Permit holders must report to the Sacramento Sheriff’s Department's Special Investigations/Intelligence Bureau (916-874-6485) within 10 days of any arrest of the permit holder.
No illegal drug use.

Bold by me.. Seems quite odd that they only require the refresher course to be from a local trainer, but the initial training has no such requirement.

truthseeker
05-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Bold by me.. Seems quite odd that they only require the refresher course to be from a local trainer, but the initial training has no such requirement.

AGREED!!

Seems to me, after I "qualify/prove my proficiency" it should be ANY trainer with the specified qualifications.

Anyway, glad to hear/read comments from you!!:D

Santa Cruz Arms
06-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Hi,

For everyone attending this class, you should have received a final email last night. Please check your email and respond with the item requested.

Looks like it will be a beautiful day tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing all of you.

If anyone is still interested in jumping into the class last minute, we still do have some room. Go ahead and sign up at the original link:

http://www.santacruzarms.com/class-signup

If there is still a signup button on that page it means there IS room available. If all spots are gone you will not be able to proceed.

Take care,
Steve

wireless
06-02-2012, 1:19 PM
How often do you have these classes? I can't make June 3rd but I can definitely make the next one at Santa Cruz Arms. I really want to get my AZ/FL CCW and go through the training course.

oepirate
06-02-2012, 5:27 PM
late response on email but it has been sent.

sfhondapilot
06-04-2012, 5:18 AM
Steve, my son, nephew and I had a great time on Sunday. Highly recommend this course to others and the facility is fantastic. We are talking about taking a trip to shoot clays, now.

goober
06-04-2012, 6:27 AM
Thanks Steve and Nick for a good class yesterday!

oepirate
06-04-2012, 9:48 AM
Indeed! Steve and Nick, you guys did great. Now, on to "muscle memory"

Santa Cruz Arms
06-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys!

We had a great time yesterday as well. Really good group. Everyone shot well, took their time with the drills, was safe and had a great attitude! We were very pleased with how the class went.

Take care,
Steve

truthseeker
06-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Had a great time!!

Keep me on the list for any future shooting opportunities!