View Full Version : Shooting in Upper Los Angeles (Lanc/Palm)

05-02-2007, 10:24 PM
What are COUNTY laws on shooting up in northern Los Angeles (preferably around Pearblossom 138).

What about Kern County? (since it's only a few miles away).

50 Shooter
05-02-2007, 11:49 PM
You'll be safer in Kern County. There are places to shoot along the 138 but there are also alot of houses so pickin's are slim.

You could join Desert Marksman www.dmrpc.org it's off Angeles Crest Hwy just before you get to Palmdale.

05-03-2007, 4:46 AM
There is more space if you keep going north, just over the hills past Rosemond, just before Tehachipi there is a lot of land.

05-03-2007, 8:15 AM
LA County allows almost NO rifle or pistol shooting. Most areas of LA County are either NO SHOOTING or SHOTGUN ONLY. The National Forest is hunting only, NO SHOOTING.

Going up 14, the Kern Co. line is Avenue A. Shooting is much less restricted in Kern County and follows state laws.

Shooting along the 138???? Bad idea. Shotgun only in both LA and San Bernardino Counties. I don't make this **** up. Just because a spot in the desert is shot up, doesn't mean it's legal to shoot there. A warden or ranger will cite you, confiscate your guns, and let the judge sort it out. A sheriff will arrest you and impound your truck.

The average guy has no business shooting in LA County without doing a lot of homework, without a map of the NO SHOOTING zones, and only when he knows exactly where he is on the map. Do not rely on Calgun heresay to keep you out of court. I remind you of the disclaimer at the top of the page, "All advice given is NOT legal counsel." The average Calgunner is totally ignorant of LA County's convoluted shooting rules. They are umpteen pages long and they are attached to this post. Ignore the laws at your own risk.

Here's one worth reading.
13.66.110 Violation--Penalty.
Every person, firm or corporation violating any provision of this chapter is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed $500.00 or by imprisonment in the County Jail for a period not to exceed six months, or by both such fine and imprisonment. (Ord. 7381 1 (part), 1958: Ord. 1769 Art. 3 311, 1929.)

05-03-2007, 8:33 AM
If you make it through the complex geographical descriptions ( and you won't ) of all the NO Shooting zones, you're left with the "Less restricted areas."

13.66.500 Regulations in less-restricted districts.
Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a person shall not shoot, fire or discharge, and a person, firm or corporation shall not cause or permit to be shot, fired or discharged in the unincorporated territory lying within the boundaries of any district or area defined in this Part 3, any firearm of any kind having a firing range of, or capable of propelling any bullet, shot or missile for any distance of one-half mile or more. (Ord. 7281 1 (part), 1958: Ord. 1769 Art. 2 150, 1929.)

The interpretation of this section is generally held to mean SHOTGUN ONLY, no pistols, no rifles.

05-03-2007, 6:18 PM
From Lancaster/Palmdale area? I would go north on the 14, past Mojave City, and get off at Liberty or Jawbone Canyon to shoot. Heck, I go there on 3 day weekends from Woodland Hills (sw San Fernando Valley) to shoot. Liberty is better on busy weekends as Jawbone gets more off road riders. It's about 2 miles or so south of Jawbone station, west off the 14. You can see the white waterpipe (CA aquaduct I think, it's a big pipe maybe 2 miles west) in the distance to the right, that's the exit. I like to stay at Red Rock Canyon state park about 6 miles north of there because there are pit toilets and potable water (I tent camp, not like the trailer weenies).