PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M4 Super 90 Accessories

Papa "J"
05-09-2012, 7:10 AM
Currnetly in jail but shopping around for some cool accessories.

Whacha got, put up some pics so I can get some ideas.

Mine already has the mag extention.

I have heard that putting on a side saddle will sometimes effect ejections of the spent shells? Any truth to that?

I was looking for a collapsible stock but have not been able to find one. Like to keep the biz in CA if possible any recommendations?

Bert Gamble
05-09-2012, 8:05 AM
Make sure you check out what parts you need to change to make the gun more made in the USA. If you change certain parts, others have to be changed as well.

I am sure someone will pop in and let you know what the regulation is.

Papa "J"
05-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks its already 922 compliant. just looking to see if anyone has added like particulat side saddles and items like that.

Quiet
05-09-2012, 10:28 PM
I was looking for a collapsible stock but have not been able to find one. Like to keep the biz in CA if possible any recommendations?

FYI.
You can not legally install a collapsable/extending/folding stock onto a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip. To do so would create an "assault weapon". [PC 30515(a)(6)]

Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also means any of the following:
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

tyrist
05-09-2012, 10:56 PM
I highly recommend the daves metal works charging handle. The stock charging handle is total crap and can actually cut your fingers.

immaculate
05-10-2012, 3:47 AM
I have heard that putting on a side saddle will sometimes effect ejections of the spent shells? Any truth to that?

I have the Mesa Tactical side saddle on mine and have had no issues with ejection including on Win AA light target loads

prc77
05-10-2012, 4:38 AM
velcro side saddle, with a few extra cards http://www.originalsoegear.com/shotguncard.html

bolt handle
http://www.briley.com/boltopreratinghandle-1-1.aspx
http://www.gggaz.com/benelli-tactical-charging-handle.html

Papa "J"
05-10-2012, 6:10 AM
Thanks everyone that gave me suggestions please keep them coming. If you could post pics of your stuff I would appreciate it.

As far as any legal advise I know all the regs for communfornia.

PEBKAC
05-10-2012, 4:28 PM
Full sized mag tube is definitely a must. Outside of that, my favorite accessory is an M2 1 round extension. Pop that on the end in place of the normal magazine end cap (just make sure to remove the spring retainer from the existing mag tube) and that makes it hold 8 rounds as opposed to the normal 7, as well as giving the gun a bit of natural standoff from the bore. Some people think this looks ugly though.

A close second is an oversize bolt handle.

Trailing in third, while I don't personally have one, would be an oversized bolt release button.

Outside of that, a couple situational upgrades:

-If the stock is too long definitely look into the Urbino stocks.

-If you plan to run an optic, look into the CarrierComp top rail (assuming you are running a side-saddle that doesn't include a rail) as the stock benelli rail is apparently a bit out of spec.

Generally I've found the less stuff I put on mine the more I like it though. ;)

Sheik_Yerbutay
05-10-2012, 6:15 PM
heres mine..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/sheik_yerbutay/IMG_0085.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/sheik_yerbutay/IMG_0086.jpg

Features:
Carrier Comp 1-Piece Titanium 7 Round Mag Tube. This allows a 9 round capacity(7+1+1).
Mesa Tactical Urbino Stock(With Original Benelli Grip)
Mesa Tactical 6 Round Side Saddle & Top Rail
SureFire Railed Forend
GG&G Bolt Handle & Bolt Release

Not Shown:
Daniel Defense Rail QD Swivel Sling Mount
Mesa Tactical Rear QD Swivel Mount
Blue Force Gear 2 Point VCAS Padded Sling

Papa "J"
05-10-2012, 7:45 PM
Nice set up....any issues with ejection with the side saddle?
Heard a couple of storys that the weight from the ammo on the side throws off the inertia system for shell ejection.

heres mine..

Features:
Carrier Comp 1-Piece Titanium 7 Round Mag Tube. This allows a 9 round capacity(7+1+1).
SureFire Railed Forend

Not Shown:

Sheik_Yerbutay
05-10-2012, 8:44 PM
Heard a couple of storys that the weight from the ammo on the side throws off the inertia system for shell ejection.

No issues at all! Its gobbled up everything from slugs to #7 birdshot with no ejection issues. That being said, I have friends with the M2 with the interia driven system that cant say the same. The M4 shouldnt give you any problems as long as you keep it well lubricated.

Quiet
05-10-2012, 9:25 PM
FYI.
The Benelli M4 is gas (piston) operated.
The Benelli M1/M2 is inertia recoil operated.

Dhena81
05-10-2012, 9:41 PM
I'm partial to Carrier Comp

I have the CC fullsize titanium magazine tube

I ordered the CC M4 top rail that has the full length picatinny rail

I want to order the charging handle. I've had problems with other manufactures of charging handles because it wasn't cut right and didn't have the same retention in the bolt like the factory. This only happened when running the gun hard I have a friend that has had the same problem so it wasn't isolated to me. For this reason I have stuck with the stock charging handle since that happened the same friend ordered the Carrier Comp when they still had them in stock and said it's cut and fits just like stock.

I also have a Mesa 8 shot side saddle which I'm probably ditch for a velco side saddle I was looking at 3 gun gear side saddle.

The Mesa Urbino stock is a must have in my book that has to be the best overall upgrade I've done.

TZL
05-11-2012, 3:05 PM
On my Benelli M4 Desert camo I have:

CarrierComp full titanium tube (desert camo color)
Freedom Fighter Tactical 3/4" titanium charging handle
Freedom Fighter Tactical red aluminum follower
Mesa Tactical Urbino stock with cheek rest and limbsaver (now painted to match gun)
Briley bolt release (not shown)
Mesa Tactical top rail and 6 shell carrier (not shown)

I used to run the Tacstar side saddle on the Benelli, I didn't like the way it mounted, but ran just fine....

Neither one has any affect on the gun, I have no idea where that suggestion comes from, I run a tacstar side saddles on my Remington 11-87 and my Mossberg 930 spx....they work fine too

I highly recommend the Mesa Tac side saddles, if you get the Urbino stock, they also make a side saddle for the stock...however I skipped that b/c I'm a lefty but don't want to prevent my RH friends from shooting the M4...

Saym14
05-11-2012, 3:21 PM
carrier comp ti tube
Mesa tactical stock
GGG extended mag release
Mako forearm

becuase the M4 is piston operated and not recoil operated hanging extra weight of extras will no affect function.

j6p2004
05-12-2012, 2:23 PM
':
carrier comp full length tube and follower
geissele hammer

call me cheap but I just wrapped the factory charge handle with 2 layers of heat shrink

Papa "J"
05-12-2012, 2:30 PM
':
call me cheap but I just wrapped the factory charge handle with 2 layers of heat shrink

I got a ton of that, I'll have to try it, good idea

Diabolus
05-14-2012, 9:09 AM
I have extensive use of the Mesa Tactical stock and would not recommend it until they re-design the way the system attaches to the stock. They should have made it attach like a standard stock does, but right now it's just an inferior product and will cause you problems.

deviljon
05-14-2012, 9:24 AM
Is the collapsible stock legal as long as it is pinned?

Diabolus
05-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Is the collapsible stock legal as long as it is pinned?

Yes

JDPhx501
05-15-2012, 6:06 AM
I have extensive use of the Mesa Tactical stock and would not recommend it until they re-design the way the system attaches to the stock. They should have made it attach like a standard stock does, but right now it's just an inferior product and will cause you problems.

You're just about the only person I've heard not recommend the Urbino stock. It seems to be universally touted as a great product and shortens the length of pull for ease of operation. Please elaborate on how it is an inferior product.

Diabolus
05-15-2012, 12:22 PM
You're just about the only person I've heard not recommend the Urbino stock. It seems to be universally touted as a great product and shortens the length of pull for ease of operation. Please elaborate on how it is an inferior product.

You can check the Benelli Forums for more negative reviews.

The screw comes loose after less than 100 rounds and the whole stock begins to wobble. The pistol grip is squared and very uncomfortable, but something I could deal with.

Overall was a good concept, but they need to fix the grip and the way the stock attaches to the recoil tube. It would be far superior if it attached the way a standard Benelli stock does.

Sheik_Yerbutay
05-21-2012, 4:16 PM
You can check the Benelli Forums for more negative reviews.

The screw comes loose after less than 100 rounds and the whole stock begins to wobble. The pistol grip is squared and very uncomfortable, but something I could deal with.

Overall was a good concept, but they need to fix the grip and the way the stock attaches to the recoil tube. It would be far superior if it attached the way a standard Benelli stock does.

I have the Urbino stock but with the original benelli pistol grip. I have put about 500 rds. through the M4 with no loosening issues but when I took it apart to insert the QD sling mount I made sure to add some blue loctite to the bolt securing the stock. YMMV but it might be worth a try!

Mesa Tactical
05-21-2012, 10:06 PM
We had one customer complain to us the stock wasn't staying on. Lock washers didn't work. So we poured some JB Weld over the bolt and washer (while the stock was installed) and let it set for a day. Result: a factory mounting method (with the factory stock the mounting stud is glued in place). Works great.

Honestly, when folks are having problems with their purchases they ought to contact the supplier.

We do not recommend loctiting the mounting bolt to the threaded ring in the recoil spring tube.

Sheik_Yerbutay
05-22-2012, 8:56 AM
We had one customer complain to us the stock wasn't staying on. Lock washers didn't work. So we poured some JB Weld over the bolt and washer (while the stock was installed) and let it set for a day. Result: a factory mounting method (with the factory stock the mounting stud is glued in place). Works great.

Honestly, when folks are having problems with their purchases they ought to contact the supplier.

We do not recommend loctiting the mounting bolt to the threaded ring in the recoil spring tube.

I didnt think about using JB Weld.. what is the issue with using loctite?

Mesa Tactical
05-22-2012, 12:04 PM
I didnt think about using JB Weld.. what is the issue with using loctite?

The concern is that the bolt will become cemented to the threaded ring and when you attempt to remove the stock you might pull the threaded ring out with the bolt. If that happens, the only recourse is to destroy the stock to get the threaded ring off. It's not something you should lose sleep over; it's happened twice in a year and a half and we will replace the stock in any case.

But the JB Weld thing works really well. As stated before, it's exactly like the factory stock, installs and removes the same.

ROCKETW19
05-22-2012, 1:39 PM
I swaped my adjustable 3 position stock tube with the old style tube that dont adjust so I have the "look" of the C stock but legal.
I also have Carrier comp one piece Ti tube (insanely lighter than even the stock short tube)
Carrier comp top rail (adding Eotech xps)
Carrier comp charging handle ( matches the exact specs of the stock one)
FFT forend

the urbino stock is probably what most want but I am a big guy the LOP is fine for me but most find it to long (mesa is a legit company) so I would research that stock.

I also agree with the other poster get a velcro side saddle if needed ( I have no use for one)

I never had a problem finding the bolt release so I never researched them, sorry no help there

then there is the hammer and disconect I dont feel that the stock stuff is bad so i never really looked into that stuff either but it might help with 922r depending on how you set up your gun.

ROCKETW19
05-22-2012, 1:43 PM
oops also forgot if you run the Cstock Mesa has a cool disconect sling swivle that goes on there I will prob get one of these days.

last thing dont get nutz loading the M4 with goodies most of it is great already

ROCKETW19
05-22-2012, 1:47 PM
Generally I've found the less stuff I put on mine the more I like it though. ;)

Yes for the M4 I agree. less is more. and belive me I am a full blown mall ninja I like to buy junk,lol but the M4 just dont need it
I had a surefire forend with a X400 light laser combo (told ya mall ninja) but like it so much better with the plain forend. Gonna put the x400 on the wifes HK USC

Sheik_Yerbutay
05-22-2012, 8:07 PM
The concern is that the bolt will become cemented to the threaded ring and when you attempt to remove the stock you might pull the threaded ring out with the bolt. If that happens, the only recourse is to destroy the stock to get the threaded ring off. It's not something you should lose sleep over; it's happened twice in a year and a half and we will replace the stock in any case.

But the JB Weld thing works really well. As stated before, it's exactly like the factory stock, installs and removes the same.

Thanks for the info! So is there a particular type of JB Weld you would recommend?

Mesa Tactical
05-22-2012, 9:09 PM
I didn't know there were different kinds. Just the hard epoxy stuff.

Sheik_Yerbutay
05-23-2012, 10:51 PM
I didn't know there were different kinds. Just the hard epoxy stuff.
Well they have several such as Marine, Industro Weld, Kwik Weld etc... just curious if you used anything special other than the "original"?

Thanks much!

p1choco
05-24-2012, 3:15 PM
heres mine..

Features:
SureFire Railed Forend

Not Shown:

I talked to a few people and not a lot of them know/understand the +1+1.

Sheik_Yerbutay
05-24-2012, 4:26 PM
I talked to a few people and not a lot of them know/understand the +1+1.
You have 7 in the tube, 1 in the chamber and 1 on the lifter

Never Convicted
05-24-2012, 5:20 PM
+1 for Daves Metal Works

p1choco
05-24-2012, 7:45 PM
You have 7 in the tube, 1 in the chamber and 1 on the lifter

Not news to me ;)