PDA

View Full Version : Grant County Staff Member will be in Chino the week of May 20th to take OR CHL apps.

New York
05-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Hey Calguns,

I will carve an evening out of my family vacation to take OR CHL applications for the good people of [mainly southern] California. Not sure which evening yet. If people are interested then reply to this thread.

If you are unfamiliar with this process, please see this thread from 2011:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=376629

My apologies to northern California; because of time constraints, I will only be able to take a majority of applications at my sister's tax office in Chino. I am, however, making 1 stop in northern California to a handful of people I promised. The northern California stop is full.

Sal

wildhawker
05-09-2012, 1:25 AM
Without question, your continuing efforts and hard work are appreciated, Sal.

I think many Calgunners and those who donated/fundraised for the Grant County Sheriff's LiveScan system would appreciate a genuine commitment for a few stops by the sheriff/authorized staff throughout California over the next year (NorCal, Sacto, Bay Area, Coast, Central Valley, LA/OC, San Diego...).

-Brandon

gschoelles
05-09-2012, 6:11 AM
Interested

Hey Calguns,

I will carve an evening out of my family vacation to take OR CHL applications for the good people of [mainly southern] California. Not sure which evening yet. If people are interested then reply to this thread.

If you are unfamiliar with this process, please see this thread from 2011:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=376629

My apologies to northern California; because of time constraints, I will only be able to take a majority of applications at my sister's tax office in Chino. I am, however, making 1 stop in northern California to a handful of people I promised. The northern California stop is full.

Sal

aalvidrez
05-09-2012, 6:23 AM
Interested

Curtis
05-09-2012, 6:40 AM
I will try to make it this time.

SpringfieldEMP
05-09-2012, 6:41 AM
Id be interested depending on the day.

G30 Steve
05-09-2012, 6:50 AM
I'm interested.

lgm118icbm
05-09-2012, 7:32 AM
I should be free that week. I will try to make it.

SEEKCCW
05-09-2012, 7:41 AM
Sir;
I will be flying into Chino Airport that day from Arizona. I am a resident of Arizona with a current CCW and ID. Also, I have an older California ID and Expired CCW . Would I qualify for a LTC from Oregon? If so, let me know where to drive to from the Airport that early afternoon. Oh..I have a Utah CCW too.

SanPedroShooter
05-09-2012, 8:21 AM
Sir;
I will be flying into Chino Airport that day from Arizona. I am a resident of Arizona with a current CCW and ID. Also, I have an older California ID and Expired CCW . Would I qualify for a LTC from Oregon? If so, let me know where to drive to from the Airport that early afternoon. Oh..I have a Utah CCW too.

In order to be eligable for an Non resident Oregon CHL, you must live in a contiguous state. You must also have proof of training. I recomend OR-CHL.com. You can take the test on line, and print out your certificate. I used it to get my AZ too.

http://or-chl.com/

Grant County Sheriff CHL application and instructions.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CHYQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Foregonfirearms.org%2Fpdfs%2Fgrant cochlapp.pdf&ei=3o2qT7XbNqfM2gWny_WlAg&usg=AFQjCNHL-MHQnG2xvGVeaaFQoYNeMeKQUA&sig2=UV3opFRtJmcis5v0Ebf0bg

The states web info is weak in my opinion. Some countys have better info, it should be all there in the link either way.

New York
05-09-2012, 8:24 AM
Sir;

Oregon law reads we can only issue non-resident permits to states that border us (WA, ID, NV, & CA).

Sorry.

We tried changing that bad law in 2011, but unlike Phoenix, we have a bunch of meatballs in Salem.
http://www.leg.state.or.us/11reg/measpdf/hb2700.dir/hb2792.a.pdf

We'll reintroduce it in January...again.

Gray Peterson
05-09-2012, 8:29 AM
Sir;

Unfortunately, no. Not at this time. We're working on it. Need a better Legislature, more specifically a Senate at least needs to flip Republican first because the Judiciary Chair there is an *******.

Bert Gamble
05-09-2012, 9:02 AM
I can't make it to Chino, but I plan on stopping by your office in mid June while I am visiting relatives.

Thanks for taking so much of your own time to help us out.

Chant
05-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Interested. When and where?

morrcarr67
05-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Count me in. I'm in Ontario and can't pass that up.

New York
05-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Without question, your continuing efforts and hard work are appreciated, Sal.

I think many Calgunners and those who donated/fundraised for the Grant County Sheriff's LiveScan system would appreciate a genuine commitment for a few stops by the sheriff/authorized staff throughout California over the next year (NorCal, Sacto, Bay Area, Coast, Central Valley, LA/OC, San Diego...).

-Brandon

Brandon,

The second sentence seems to contradict the first...unless I'm misunderstanding it.

The sheriff and I both work full time, and we both take time out of our limited family vacations to take apps throughout the state of California...on our own dime. And we both drag our wives along to help us.

Have there been Calgunners griping to you? Are they suggesting (or implying) that we are not making a "genuine commitment"?

I'm just curious why you think that, or what prompted you to write it.

Sal

M. D. Van Norman
05-09-2012, 1:04 PM
Sal and his family deserve a lot of thanks for their efforts on behalf of both Californians and Oregonians. :thumbsup:

05-09-2012, 1:10 PM
Sal and his family deserve a lot of thanks for their efforts on behalf of both Californians and Oregonians. :thumbsup:

:iagree:

I applied last year in Chino. Sal and crew were great and the process was quick and easy (as it should be in California :mad:). :thumbsup:

norcalgunguy
05-09-2012, 1:13 PM
Many thanks to Grant County Sheriff for your efforts.

wildhawker
05-09-2012, 1:52 PM
Sal,

I responded inline, but I believe you'll find that it comports exactly with our phone conversation from a few weeks ago.

Brandon,

The second sentence seems to contradict the first...unless I'm misunderstanding it.

I think you're misunderstanding it. That there's a disappointing level of commitment and opportunities for the community to become licensed doesn't necessarily mean that those opportunities which do exist, as unfortunately limited as they may be, are not genuinely appreciated.

The sheriff and I both work full time, and we both take time out of our limited family vacations to take apps throughout the state of California...on our own dime. And we both drag our wives along to help us.

So does every member of The Calguns Foundation board and all of our volunteers. We can sympathize with that feeling - and we do it all year long.

The realities of the limitations of the sheriff's schedule should have been made explicit to the people who fundraised for and donated to the LiveScan with the [reasonable] expectation that there would be continuing opportunities to apply at various strategic locations. We have a big state, Chino isn't exactly central. (I know this because I used to live next door in Chino Hills.)

Setting reasonable expectations is key, wouldn't you say?

Have there been Calgunners griping to you?

Yes.

Are they suggesting (or implying) that we are not making a "genuine commitment"?

Yes.

My years of close direct involvement with the community, personal engagement with thousands of California gun owners who want to bear arms for self-defense, and thousands of volunteer hours on the issues of carry.

-Brandon

Knauga
05-09-2012, 2:00 PM
Sal, I am interested. I just have a question of "training". I hold a California CCW as well as a Utah CCW. Can these be used for proof of training or is there something else I need?

Thanks!

Knauga
05-09-2012, 2:09 PM
Found it. Thanks

Here’s the checklist:

1. A Copy (black & white) of your driver's license. Address on your driver’s license MUST match your current residence. If it doesn't, please try to visit the DMV and take care of that prior to out meeting. I think you can do that on the CA DMV website unless you have a commercial driver’s license.
2. A copy of every current concealed weapons permit you have. If no permits then either a passport, military I.D., voter registration card, employee I.D. or some type of photo I.D., etc…Costco cards will do. No credit cards please. If you absolutely do not have a 2nd form of I.D. I’m pretty confident Sheriff Palmer will make an exception.
3. Photocopy of your certificate of training for Oregon
4. Grant County CHL application filled out completely; signed and stapled together. Social Security number is not required. If the link below doesn’t work, just go to oregonfirearms.org > CHL Central > [scroll down to map] Grant County > Grant County CHL Application http://oregonfirearms.org/pdfs/grantcochlapp.pdf
5. Check or money order for $65 made payable to 'Grant County Sheriff's Office'
6. Self-addressed stamped envelope (letter size).
7. A piece of paper quarter turned in landscape mode with your legal name (middle initial is ok) typed in the largest font so it fits across the very top of the page on the same line. I need this for you to hold up by your chest when I take your mug shot. If you are not a computer person & have no idea how to accomplish this, just use a sharpie and hand write it.
8. Picture (jpeg format – I will take in person)
9. Fingerprints (I will take in person)

Window_Seat
05-09-2012, 3:46 PM
Although, completely surrounded by water in the Pacific, I would call the state of Hawaii as also being a bordering state to Oregon, so would Hawaii residents also qualify?

***EDIT***

Sal,

Will you have the live scan machine with you, or the traditional ink cards?

And THANKS for what you are doing! :thumbsup:

Erik.

blakdawg
05-09-2012, 7:23 PM
What sort of infrastructure/logistical support is necessary for a host site for the application/fingerprinting process?

I can provide approx 1200 sq feet of office or classroom space in San Jose, including electrical, Internet, and phone connections if those are helpful/necessary.

I am also willing to donate towards putting together some space somewhere in the general vicinity of Shasta/Tehama/Glenn/Butte counties. Perhaps we can get a conference/banquet room at a hotel, or an Elks' Lodge, or . . .

Is it helpful/necessary to have motel room(s) for the OR sheriff's personnel?

Does it help to have copiers/scanners/fax machines/computers or other office equipment available?

chiselchst
05-10-2012, 12:25 AM
Sal,

We no doubt appreciate your personal efforts to satisfy CG'ers in your service, and burning personal time at that. It's not taken lightly...thanks.

However, as a Northern CA resident, I wish there were more opportunities for us up here to meet up with your agency.

Can you consider more NorCal stops in the future?

It would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks Sal

Brandon,

Have there been Calgunners griping to you? Are they suggesting (or implying) that we are not making a "genuine commitment"?

Sal

Kukuforguns
05-10-2012, 8:12 AM
Interested.

Also, I very much appreciate that you use some of your vacation time to provide this service to people who are not your constituents.

Flintlock Tom
05-10-2012, 9:56 AM
Thank you, Sal,
I took advantage of your commitment and sacrifice when you were down a couple years ago.
I personally do not believe any "expectations of reciprocal service" should have been attached to a voluntary donation of a Live-Scan machine, implicit or implied.
If expectations WERE attached they should have been expressed, and agreed to, up front.

blakdawg
05-10-2012, 10:07 AM
I also really appreciate the effort put forth and inconvenience endured on behalf of CA people who would like an OR CCW.

As I understand the issue, Oregon law requires (per ORS 166.291(3)):

(3) Before the sheriff may issue a license:
[...] (b) The applicant must submit to fingerprinting and photographing by the sheriff. The sheriff shall fingerprint and photograph the applicant and shall conduct any investigation necessary to corroborate the requirements listed under subsection (1) of this section. (emphasis added)

.. so that's why we can't get fingerprinted by a local agency or otherwise, because the law requires "the sheriff" (or, presumably, his deputy/delegate) to do the fingerprinting.

OK.

And it's not considered legitimate to offer gifts or compensation to a public official for doing their job, which seems reasonable enough.

It's probably expecting too much to find someone who knows OR government law on a CA gun website, but . . . what if we were to arrange for OR CCW classes in CA, taught by Grant County SO personnel (perhaps during off-duty hours), which would satisfy OR's requirement that a CCW applicant demonstrate competence with a handgun? I'm thinking specifically of ORS 166.291(1)(f)(C), "Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;" which clearly envisions that law enforcement personnel could offer such a course.

.. then, as part of the class, or afterwards, depending on what makes the government ethics people happy, fingerprints could be taken by the sheriff's personnel to comply with Oregon law on this topic.

To be crystal clear, my goal here is to find a way that the Grant County SO or their employees don't need to subsidize us or give up their vacations; I don't want to evade the laws about bribery, I want to comply with them, while not subjecting Grant County or the individuals involved to unnecessary costs.

Glock22Fan
05-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Sal,

Personally, I don't have any great need for an Oregon permit - no expectation of visiting Oregon and nothing that your permit would bring that I don't have already.

However, I do appreciate your efforts and I do think that some on this board are griping unfairly.

As far as I can see, you are going beyond your job description to help us out. Maybe not as far as some would like, but then, why should you? If anyone needs an Oregon permit that bad, it isn't too onerous to drive up to Grant County, particularly for those in Northern California. Maybe make a long weekend road trip?

Instead you are getting people expecting you to take more of your vacation and spend more of your personal money to save them some trouble. I can't see any other state around here doing half as much. How many people here have travelled to Nevada, spent several days taking the course, and then had to go on a second trip to apply in person? More than a few, I'd say. Where are the grumbles that Nevada LEO's aren't coming frequently to venues right next to Calgunners' houses to sign them up?

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth, people. If I were Sal, I'd be wondering why I bothered.

And yes, we do have people living in California, and a few others, working tirelessly on our behalf, and I applaud that too.

But when people are putting themselves out to help you, it is somewhat churlish to grumble that they aren't doing enough.

Seems to me that you are grumbled at unfairly. I applaud your help and thank you for it.

Thank you, Sal,
I took advantage of your commitment and sacrifice when you were down a couple years ago.
I personally do not believe any "expectations of reciprocal service" should have been attached to a voluntary donation of a Live-Scan machine, implicit or implied.
If expectations WERE attached they should have been expressed, and agreed to, up front.

I totally agree.

Harley
05-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Very interested let me know the time & date. Thank you!

nick
05-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Interested.

wildhawker
05-10-2012, 11:08 AM
You don't get the issues at all, it seems, and apparently don't have the backstory either. However, some of us were involved from the very beginning. I don't forget much.

-Brandon

Sal,

Personally, I don't have any great need for an Oregon permit - no expectation of visiting Oregon and nothing that your permit would bring that I don't have already.

However, I do appreciate your efforts and I do think that some on this board are griping unfairly.

As far as I can see, you are going beyond your job description to help us out. Maybe not as far as some would like, but then, why should you? If anyone needs an Oregon permit that bad, it isn't too onerous to drive up to Grant County, particularly for those in Northern California. Maybe make a long weekend road trip?

Instead you are getting people expecting you to take more of your vacation and spend more of your personal money to save them some trouble. I can't see any other state around here doing half as much. How many people here have travelled to Nevada, spent several days taking the course, and then had to go on a second trip to apply in person? More than a few, I'd say. Where are the grumbles that Nevada LEO's aren't coming frequently to venues right next to Calgunners' houses to sign them up?

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth, people. If I were Sal, I'd be wondering why I bothered.

And yes, we do have people living in California, and a few others, working tirelessly on our behalf, and I applaud that too.

But when people are putting themselves out to help you, it is somewhat churlish to grumble that they aren't doing enough.

Seems to me that you are grumbled at unfairly. I applaud your help and thank you for it.

I totally agree.

wildhawker
05-10-2012, 11:18 AM
A good number of training options satisfies the handgun competency prong of the application (including all of our training events). The logistical issue is solely getting a representative physically to the application site.

-Brandon

I also really appreciate the effort put forth and inconvenience endured on behalf of CA people who would like an OR CCW.

As I understand the issue, Oregon law requires (per ORS 166.291(3)):

(emphasis added)

.. so that's why we can't get fingerprinted by a local agency or otherwise, because the law requires "the sheriff" (or, presumably, his deputy/delegate) to do the fingerprinting.

OK.

And it's not considered legitimate to offer gifts or compensation to a public official for doing their job, which seems reasonable enough.

It's probably expecting too much to find someone who knows OR government law on a CA gun website, but . . . what if we were to arrange for OR CCW classes in CA, taught by Grant County SO personnel (perhaps during off-duty hours), which would satisfy OR's requirement that a CCW applicant demonstrate competence with a handgun? I'm thinking specifically of ORS 166.291(1)(f)(C), "Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;" which clearly envisions that law enforcement personnel could offer such a course.

.. then, as part of the class, or afterwards, depending on what makes the government ethics people happy, fingerprints could be taken by the sheriff's personnel to comply with Oregon law on this topic.

To be crystal clear, my goal here is to find a way that the Grant County SO or their employees don't need to subsidize us or give up their vacations; I don't want to evade the laws about bribery, I want to comply with them, while not subjecting Grant County or the individuals involved to unnecessary costs.

Flintlock Tom
05-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Do I recall correctly that Sheriff Palmer indicated, at one time, that the CA HSC would satisfy the training requirement?

blakdawg
05-10-2012, 11:53 AM
A good number of training options satisfies the handgun competency prong of the application (including all of our training events). The logistical issue is solely getting a representative physically to the application site.

-Brandon

I understand - my point was that if we can't donate/pay to directly subsidize fingerprinting, perhaps we could spend $ on training and get fingerprinting as a bonus. The OR legislature clearly considered the possibility that the required training might be provided by LEO's, and the training is required by OR law.

My recollection is that there's a free online training course that satisfies the OR requirements, if that's all that someone needs.

bacon_lover
05-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Many thanks to Sal, Sheriff Palmer, and the Grant Co. Sheriff's office for making these trips. I'm currently in Portland for vacation and I'm enjoying the ability to exercise my 2A rights. :)

Glock22Fan
05-10-2012, 1:17 PM
You don't get the issues at all, it seems, and apparently don't have the backstory either. However, some of us were involved from the very beginning. I don't forget much.

-Brandon

Maybe there is more to the story than I am reading in this thread, but without knowledge of that backstory, I stick to my beliefs.

Some of this thread is castigating Sal. Without the backstory I do not have any reason, other than your word, to support that castigation. If I were him, based on what I see here, I'd probably tell you what to do about it.

To requote Flintlock Tom,

I remember no published promises of frequencies or venues for visits, just that they would happen. They are. What's the beef?

I'm not doubting your beliefs, but I'm commenting on what I see here.

wildhawker
05-10-2012, 2:01 PM
My comments are not about Sal. I have no idea how or why it would be thought that way, but I want to be clear that in no way should my comments be taken as directed toward Sal the individual.

The problem is that most of the state has gone unsupported. That's not what I or many others expected years ago. If you don't agree with me, you're entitled to, but you are working from a lack of facts and experience.

-Brandon

Kukuforguns
05-10-2012, 2:18 PM
My comments are not about Sal. I have no idea how or why it would be thought that way, but I want to be clear that in no way should my comments be taken as directed toward Sal the individual.

The problem is that most of the state has gone unsupported. That's not what I or many others expected years ago. If you don't agree with me, you're entitled to, but you are working from a lack of facts and experience.
For my part, my discomfort with your comments relates to the medium you chose to express them. Sal has just volunteered to accept applications while on a family vaction. Hurray. Huzzah.

If you expected more frequent visits based upon donations and/or fundraising for the Grant County Sheriff's LiveScan system, I think that there may be more appropriate channels to express that concern. A public forum appears to be a less than ideal method to communicate that concern.

Glock22Fan
05-10-2012, 3:01 PM
For my part, my discomfort with your comments relates to the medium you chose to express them. Sal has just volunteered to accept applications while on a family vaction. Hurray. Huzzah.

If you expected more frequent visits based upon donations and/or fundraising for the Grant County Sheriff's LiveScan system, I think that there may be more appropriate channels to express that concern. A public forum appears to be a less than ideal method to communicate that concern.

Exactly.

Sgt Raven
05-10-2012, 3:02 PM

Why not this public forum? They came to this public forum seeking donations for their live scan machine and inferred they would be using that livescan machine at Gun Shows etc after they got it.:oji:

Kukuforguns
05-10-2012, 4:01 PM
Why not this public forum? They came to this public forum seeking donations for their live scan machine and inferred they would be using that livescan machine at Gun Shows etc after they got it.:oji:
You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

wildhawker
05-10-2012, 4:31 PM
You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I have and will continue to offer whatever assistance the Grant County Sheriff's Dept. needs to make more stops throughout California happen. That's always been on the table.

-Brandon

hawk1
05-10-2012, 4:34 PM
Sal has just volunteered to accept applications while on a family vaction.

And this should not be taken lightly or pushed aside. It should be thanked and accepted.
This giving of his vacation time is not only being donated by him, but his family as well...

Bigedski
05-10-2012, 5:02 PM
I am very interested, let me know when and where and I will be there.
Will they be doing the live scan or ink cards??

kauaibuilt
05-10-2012, 5:36 PM
interested depending on date/time.

Dennisz1
05-10-2012, 9:15 PM
Sal, My wife and I are both interested, any time that week should work for us, thanks for the great opportunity.

Dennis

Gray Peterson
05-10-2012, 9:31 PM
All,

I'm working on a solution to resolve the underlying issue of CHL access for Californians for the Grant County CHL. I ask that in light of the sensitive issues involved, everyone please stow any speculation and discussion about said issue, insofar as other than the Chino thing.

huntercf
05-10-2012, 9:46 PM
I would be interested, depends on date & time, some days are tighter than others. Let us know when you're available and I'll see if I can make it. Otherwise, I might have to detour my trip to WA around Redmond and head over to Canyon City.
Thank you for efforts.

DangerousGoods
05-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Hello Sal,

I am interested in your assistance in applying for a OR LTC. Depending on the date and time, I may be able to make it. Regardless, thank you for offering us the to opportunity to obtain an OR, LTC in our state. It is very generous and humbling that you would take precious time out of your family vacation to assist us during your visit here in CA. I hope you vacation goes well and that the people of California treat you with the kindness and generosity that you have given us.

Ken

smith629
05-11-2012, 1:39 AM
I'm interested. I love Oregon and I am visiting Oregon this summer on a camping trip.

Please forward me any more information. I have the application and checklist printed out. I just need to figure out what identifies as training. Please PM with more info? Thanks!

New York
05-11-2012, 2:31 AM

For the record, I, Kevin Starrett, Oregon Firearms Federation (OFF), or Oregon Firearms Educational Foundation (OFEF) never came to your forum seeking donations for the LiveScan machine. Alerts went out by OFF to the members and those who receive the free email alerts that's available through OFF.

Those alerts can be viewed here:
Grant County Announces Pro-Gun Policy Towards Non Residents. 11.07.09
http://www.oregonfirearms.org/alertspage/11.07.09%20alert.html

GUN FRIENDLY SHERIFF NEEDS HELP. 02.06.10
http://www.oregonfirearms.org/alertspage/02.06.10alert.html

The OFF alert dated 2/6/10 went viral and was reproduced on various gun forums...including yours. The person responsible for bringing this topic to Calguns is Gray Peterson. That thread can be revisited here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=267404
Be sure to check page 5, Post #176, last sentence.

Although CGF contributed quite a chunk, donations came in from various sources and other states, including, but not limited to, OR & WA etc...

So you see folks what it comes down to is...this whole thing is Gray's fault! :43:

But I want to move on and return to the original intent of this thread and help get more OR CHL's in the hands of the good people of California.

The date that works best for me is the evening of May 24th. Thursday. I'm thinking 7PM. The venue is Accredited Tax Inc - same as last time. The address is:

5690 Schaefer Ave Suite H (as in HUZZAH! :biggrinjester:) Chino 91710

Whoever gets there first, start a sign in sheet. Sign it with your Calguns handle. If you are a guest of a Calgunner, just use your own name.

Keep your questions coming - I will answer them all soon in a single post, so please be patient (unless it's urgent). For resident aliens you will need your green card and a Declaration of intent to become a US citizen a.k.a. the N300 form. Sadly, that process costs $250. Go here:
http://tinyurl.com/7p2wtu9

Start getting your ducks in a row. Here's the list:

1. A Copy (black & white) of your driver's license. Address on your driver’s license MUST match your current residence. If it doesn't, please try to visit the DMV and take care of that prior to out meeting. I think you can do that on the CA DMV website unless you have a commercial driver’s license.
2. A copy of every current concealed weapons permit you have. If no permits then either a passport, military I.D., voter registration card, employee I.D. or some type of photo I.D., etc…Costco cards will do. No credit cards please. If you absolutely do not have a 2nd form of I.D. I’m pretty confident Sheriff Palmer will make an exception.
3. Photocopy of your certificate of training for Oregon - Basic Handgun Safety (DD214 will only work if it specifies you were trained with small arms training)
4. Grant County CHL application filled out completely; signed and stapled together. If the link below doesn't work, just go to oregonfirearms.org > CHL Central > [scroll down to map] Grant County > Grant County CHL Application
http://oregonfirearms.org/pdfs/grantcochlapp.pdf
5. Check or money order for $65 made payable to 'Grant County Sheriff's Office'
6. Self-addressed stamped envelope (letter size).
7. A piece of paper quarter turned in landscape mode with your legal name (middle initial is ok) typed in the largest font so it fits across the very top of the page on the same line. I need this for you to hold up by your chest when I take your photo. If you are not a computer person & have no idea how to accomplish this, just use a sharpie and hand write it.
8. Picture (jpeg format – I will take in person)
9. Fingerprints (I will take in person)

Bring a black ink pen. If you were ever arrested, even if it was dismissed, you'll need to disclose that on the application or a separate sheet of paper. A brief summary is fine with approximate year. If you were ever convicted of domestic violence you cannot get an OR CHL. If expunged, maybe. Call the sheriff's office. No DUI's within the last 4 years from date of conviction. People born outside the U.S. must show proof of U.S. citizenship...even if you were a military baby (birth record or current passport). The $65 application fee is non-refundable.

The last time we did 60 apps. Let's shoot for that this time. Be sure to check the forum before you come, in the unlikely event any emergencies occurred...especially if you're driving from a distance.

One of the great things about doing this from the last time is the really cool people I was blessed to meet. I hope I was able to make half the difference in their life as they did mine.

BTW, I read every post on this thread. And the many kind words that have been expressed to me, my family, and Sheriff Palmer really means a lot...more than you know! Your appreciation is appreciated.

SanPedroShooter
05-11-2012, 5:30 AM
I am a former Oregon Resident and have a lot of family that still reside there (Jackson County). I have spoken personally with Sheriff Palmer, and I can say he is an incredible guy and not your typical Executive LE officer.

Wether or not he takes some heat for his stance or his policies, I do not know. I do know that he and the people here on CGN, OFF and the Grant County Sheriff's office that have brought everything together deserve a thank you, so...

Thank you.

twinfin
05-11-2012, 6:20 AM
If you need proof of training, use this: http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

It's a fast and easy internet based program that includes a certificate of completion you can print after you've completed the course.

Thank you Sheriff Palmer and staff!

speeedracerr
05-11-2012, 6:28 AM
Thank you Sal for all that you do!

I currently have my OR-CHL which I applied for during your last visit (thank you very much :) )and hope to take my girlfriend this time around so that she can apply for a CHL as well.

Your personal time taken off to conduct and process OR permits is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks goes to your sister and family for donating their time to help out as well as your sister for accommodating her office space to process applications.

Have a safe trip to Cali and Hope to see you again soon! ;)

Oldbud
05-12-2012, 2:30 AM
I was one of the first fingerprinted that day in January and as Sal mentioned, the first to arrive should start a sign in sheet as it helps the process. The office is not large enough to hold but a small group at a time, so many will be waiting outside. Bring yourself any needed refreshments in case you happen to be 'farther down the list'

For those who are planning to submit their application, please remember to bring a black pen, the half sheet with your full name largely across the top on a single line, and the self addressed stamped envelope. Also having the required copies of docs and the form fully filled out greatly helps the process go smoother and quicker.

A lot of answers to frequent questions can be found in the earlier Chino thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=376629)

I appreciate what Sal is doing, as the time he and his family set aside to do the many apps that day last year was significant.

I had given a significant donation for the live scan machine, without any expectations but to help a very pro-2a Sheriff provide lawful visitors of Oregon the ability to carry.

What Sal had done and is again doing is an unexpected gesture and is applauded.

Robert

Bigedski
05-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Every thing still on for the 24th in Chino.

PPQ
05-17-2012, 7:13 PM
I'm in...see you on the 24th...and thanks!

huntercf
05-17-2012, 9:31 PM
I should be there unless something comes up. Thank you so much for taking time out of your vacation!

huntercf
05-17-2012, 9:40 PM
If you need proof of training, use this: http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

It's a fast and easy internet based program that includes a certificate of completion you can print after you've completed the course.

Thank you Sheriff Palmer and staff!

The above link is for Maryland certificate of training, will this work for Oregon or is there another site to get the certificate specific to Oregon?

Oldbud
05-17-2012, 10:13 PM
The above link is for Maryland certificate of training, will this work for Oregon or is there another site to get the certificate specific to Oregon?Sheriff Palmer's office will accept it for the Oregon CHL. It is free and take just a few minutes to do online.

I found a website that would allow gunowners or anyone else for that matter to take a handgun safety course on line. Take the course and it prints your certificate at the end of the course. Takes a half hour or so and is very well put together and informative. Maryland Police Training Comission Firearms Safety Training Course. I took it this afternoon....it was free and easily done!!!!

Glenn

LaredoTornado
05-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Unfortunately, California does not issue a new Driver's License when one changes their address. On the DMV website it states:

"You can change your residence or mailing address for your California Driver License, Identification Card, vehicle, or vessel. A new driver license, identification card or registration card is not issued when changing your address. Temporary mailing addresses are not allowed."

Is there another way to make this work, or am I just out of luck?

Thanks again for the help and for taking the time.

-M

Gray Peterson
05-18-2012, 1:24 AM
Unfortunately, California does not issue a new Driver's License when one changes their address. On the DMV website it states:

"You can change your residence or mailing address for your California Driver License, Identification Card, vehicle, or vessel. A new driver license, identification card or registration card is not issued when changing your address. Temporary mailing addresses are not allowed."

-M

Can you get a DMV printout?

Oldbud
05-18-2012, 8:27 AM

-MMy address was changed on DMV records and did not have a corrected pocket license. I was told as long as the actual DMV record reflects your current address that all would be ok. I also brought supporting docs, dmv registration, showing the correct address.

I assume Sal will answer, though you could pm him to be sure.

05-18-2012, 12:03 PM
The above link is for Maryland certificate of training, will this work for Oregon or is there another site to get the certificate specific to Oregon?

I used that site last year and received my Oregon CHL.

New York
05-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Every thing still on for the 24th in Chino.

I just arrived in Chino - everything is still on for the 24th. Keep the questions coming. I will answer most of them in a single post within the next 24 hours. I just need to get settled in.

As long as you changed your address with the DMV, just note that on the photocopy of your DL and write the new address underneath. That will be fine. If you have the printout you can attach it if you want.

hawk1
05-19-2012, 7:25 AM
Sal looks like you arrived in time to enjoy the great weather were having.

Thanks to you and your family for offering up part of your vacation (and their business) to help those in need here. :)

LaredoTornado
05-19-2012, 1:42 PM
I just arrived in Chino - everything is still on for the 24th. Keep the questions coming. I will answer most of them in a single post within the next 24 hours. I just need to get settled in.

As long as you changed your address with the DMV, just note that on the photocopy of your DL and write the new address underneath. That will be fine. If you have the printout you can attach it if you want.

Thank you! ... and all who commented!
Very much appreciated!

whack
05-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Sal, why the N300 requirement? Where does the OR law require that?

Unfortunately it is too late for those that would need one...so is there a way around it?

Gray Peterson
05-20-2012, 12:28 PM

Unfortunately it is too late for those that would need one...so is there a way around it?

What do you mean by N300?

huntercf
05-20-2012, 1:39 PM
What do you mean by N300?

That is only for non-citizens I believe, I think I read that correctly. US citizens don't need it.

Gray Peterson
05-20-2012, 1:42 PM

No non US citizen can be issued a license.

huntercf
05-20-2012, 2:36 PM
On the application there is a question about drug diversion program and refers to an Oregon code (L) but that is for domestic violence. If someone did a program is that a lifetime prohibition or just in the last 4 years?

whack
05-20-2012, 3:59 PM
No non US citizen can be issued a license.

Not true. According to Sal, they need provide proof of intent to BECOME a citizen... Leaves a boat load of Green Card folks out... Hence the request for clarification from Sal...

New York
05-20-2012, 5:04 PM
Sal, I am interested. I just have a question of "training". I hold a California CCW as well as a Utah CCW. Can these be used for proof of training or is there something else I need?
Sheriff Palmer will need the certificate of training. The permits itself will not suffice.

Will you have the live scan machine with you, or the traditional ink cards?
Traditional ink. Works just fine. If your prints are bad, I’ll do 2 cards.

Can you consider more NorCal stops in the future?
Of course.

Do I recall correctly that Sheriff Palmer indicated, at one time, that the CA HSC would satisfy the training requirement?
As long as basic handgun safety was a major component of that course requirement.

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/
This will work for Sheriff Palmer, anyway. I think some sheriffs in OR don't like this online certification training and might not take it.

Just change your address on the DMV website or fill out the form and mail it in. When you photocopy your DL, write the new address underneath your DL photocopy and note “New address on file with CA DMV…”

Thanks to you and your family for offering up part of your vacation (and their business) to help those in need here.
I have read every post, and your gratitude is recognized. I wish I could do more.

If you are a US citizen, then this does not apply.
There are certain states that will allow legal resident aliens to obtain a weapons permit. OR is one of them, but you must fill out an N300 form – intent to become a U.S. citizen. Utah will also let you, and AZ (AZ residents only).

UPDATE:Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
I'm sorry, Sal, but this is not correct.

Oregon Law, ORS 166.291

(a)(A) Is a citizen of the United States; or
(B) Is a legal resident alien who can document continuous residency in the county for at least six months and has declared in writing to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services the intent to acquire citizenship status and can present proof of the written declaration to the sheriff at the time of application for the license;
(b) Is at least 21 years of age;
(c) Is a resident of the county;
(d) Has no outstanding warrants for arrest;
(e) Is not free on any form of pretrial release;
(f) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:

(8) The county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need.

As you can see, Californians who are Green Card Holders cannot meet the 6 month residency requirement because they are not residents of Grant County. By the letter of the law, Californian residents must be natural born or naturalized US Citizens to apply.

Unconstitutional? Most definitely. If any of you are in this situation, please contact me at my email address. You're all aware of the litigations that have been filed against Massachusetts, New Mexico, South Dakota, and Kentucky in re US Citizenship requirements. Not saying that Grant County will be targeted (most likely not, we don't attack our friends who have no choice to follow the state law in question, I'd rather go after a more anti-gun county to bring the pain), but we need a good database to challenge.

You're right Gray! I stand corrected! (Actually I'm sitting...but none the less).

Thanks for the correction. I know a bunch of Oregonians that are not US citizens yet that have an OR permit...my good friend is one of them. But obviously, as you pointed out, cannot satisfy the 6 month county resident requirement.
On the application there is a question about drug diversion program and refers to an Oregon code (L) but that is for domestic violence. If someone did a program is that a lifetime prohibition or just in the last 4 years?
I’m not sure where you see anything about a drug diversion program on the application. Am I missing something? Are you sure you have the right application?
This is the app:
http://oregonfirearms.org/chlcentral/Grant%20County%20CHL%206.pdf

Oregon law prohibits the issuance of a concealed handgun license to:
Anyone convicted of a misdemeanor within the last four (4) years
Anyone ever convicted of a felony, or free on a pre-trial release agreement
In Addition: Federal law prohibits anyone from possessing any firearm or ammunition who:
Has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year
Has been discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions
Has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
Is subject to a court order restraining such person from harassing, stalking or threatening an
intimate partner or child of an intimate partner after a hearing at which the person had an
opportunity to participate which finds that the person represents a credible threat or prohibits
the use, attempted use or threatened use of physical force that would reasonably be expected
to cause bodily injury.

huntercf
05-20-2012, 5:10 PM
New York, Thanks for your response. When I clicked on the link earlier it was in the middle of the app, but now it is gone.
Thanks again for taking time out of your vacation to do this for us, enjoy your time in socal.

Bizinsteadofgame
05-20-2012, 5:30 PM
Not trying to be offensive or disrespect anyone but why would I want a ccw for oregan? I live in chino so im interested. Is it for people that travel? Cuz I never do. If I am a armed guard is that enough training or should I do that online class mentioned above? Will that online class get me ur OR CHL?

Bizinsteadofgame
05-20-2012, 5:31 PM
I meant will it qualify me for your class?

huntercf
05-20-2012, 5:33 PM
Not trying to be offensive or disrespect anyone but why would I want a ccw for oregan? I live in chino so im interested. Is it for people that travel? Cuz I never do. If I am a armed guard is that enough training or should I do that online class mentioned above? Will that online class get me ur OR CHL?

Personally, I drive through from CA to WA and back (through) OR a couple times a year.

Gray Peterson
05-20-2012, 5:42 PM
If you are a US citizen, then this does not apply.
There are certain states that will allow legal resident aliens to obtain a weapons permit. OR is one of them, but you must fill out an N300 form – intent to become a U.S. citizen. Utah will also let you, and AZ (AZ residents only).

Oregon Law, ORS 166.291

(B) Is a legal resident alien who can document continuous residency in the county for at least six months and has declared in writing to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services the intent to acquire citizenship status and can present proof of the written declaration to the sheriff at the time of application for the license;

(8) The county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need.

As you can see, Californians who are Green Card Holders cannot meet the 6 month residency requirement because they are not residents of Grant County. By the letter of the law, Californian residents must be natural born or naturalized US Citizens to apply.

Unconstitutional? Most definitely. If any of you are in this situation, please contact me at my email address. You're all aware of the litigations that have been filed against Massachusetts, New Mexico, South Dakota, and Kentucky in re US Citizenship requirements. Not saying that Grant County will be targeted (most likely not, we don't attack our friends who have no choice to follow the state law in question, I'd rather go after a more anti-gun county to bring the pain), but we need a good database to challenge.

New York
05-20-2012, 6:53 PM

I meant will it qualify me for your class?

It depends on the training requirements that got you your armed guard certifications. Was basic handgun safety a major component? If so, then yes...but I still need a copy of the certification.

New York
05-20-2012, 7:00 PM

Oregon Law, ORS 166.291

You're right Gray! I stand corrected! (Actually I'm sitting...but none the less).

Thanks for the correction. I know a bunch of Oregonians that are not US citizens yet that have an OR permit...my good friend is one of them. But obviously, as you pointed out, cannot satisfy the 6 month county resident requirement.

smith629
05-20-2012, 8:13 PM
I have not gotten a PM, so are we still on for 7PM at 5690 Schaefer Ave Suite H Chino 91710? If so I will be there with the checklist info and MD training cert from this thread.

New York
05-20-2012, 9:41 PM
I have not gotten a PM, so are we still on for 7PM at 5690 Schaefer Ave Suite H Chino 91710? If so I will be there with the checklist info and MD training cert from this thread.

Affirm.

PPQ
05-24-2012, 8:34 PM
Sal and Mrs. Sal,

Thanks so much for providing this opportunity for SoCal Calgunners!

Started promptly at 7pm and I left the building at 7:22...it helps if you get there early and are first in line!

I took advantage of your book on offer, "Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws"

I am looking forward to receiving my Oregon CHL...the clock is ticking...

Thanks again!

Dennisz1
05-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Sal & Mrs Sal
You ran such a well organized operation! My wife and I were behind PPQ, and we were both out and on the road by 7:30. Our many thanks to the both of you for donating your time and effort to the cause. Keep up the good work!

I also bought the book, I know it will come in handy in the future.

On the countdown to permit in hand.

Dennis & Debbie

morrcarr67
05-25-2012, 6:54 AM
Sucks I was working out of town and missed the event. :(

Bigedski
05-25-2012, 8:43 AM
Mr & Mrs Sal
Thank you so much for your time in doing this for us it is very appreaciated, I hope enough CALGUNNERS showed up to make it worth your time.

Biged

KALIDAWG8996
05-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Mr. And Mrs. Sal
Thank you for your time and effort you gave us yesterday in taking our O CHL applications.

The process was quick/painless and it was a pleasure to have met yourselves. Many thanks for the services you have provided us! Will E.

New York
06-14-2012, 11:56 AM
I want to thank everyone for having their paperwork ready and in order. It was a pleasure meeting all of you who showed up.

Please allow 8 weeks for processing. Our office staff is swamped with applications. If you do not receive your OR CHL by August 6th, then please call the Grant County Sheriff's Office at that time. (541) 575-1131. Please do not call earlier than that.

Thank you!

wchutt
06-17-2012, 10:21 AM
First, thank you for what you do.
Do you or anyone in your office have a trip to norcal (Redding area) planned anytime?

New York
06-20-2012, 10:29 AM
First, thank you for what you do.
Do you or anyone in your office have a trip to norcal (Redding area) planned anytime?

I might be traveling back down early December. Not etched in stone.

Be advised, Josephine County Sheriff Gil Gilbertson will issue to non-residents. I think you'll need to write a little more for the "legitimate demonstrated need" but he will issue.

It's about a 2 & 1/2 hr. drive from Redding to Grants Pass, so if you don't want to wait, contact his office to verify he will issue and make a road trip. :auto:

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/chlcentral/josephine.htm

wchutt
06-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Thank you sir, if I do a road trip it will be to see you and support your office!

wchutt
06-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Also on the Josephine sheriff's site it says they will no longer be accepting out-of-state applications.

Gray Peterson
06-20-2012, 11:24 AM

Be advised, Josephine County Sheriff Gil Gilbertson will issue to non-residents. I think you'll need to write a little more for the "legitimate demonstrated need" but he will issue.

It's about a 2 & 1/2 hr. drive from Redding to Grants Pass, so if you don't want to wait, contact his office to verify he will issue and make a road trip. :auto:

Wrong. They are no longer issuing non resident licenses.

New York
06-20-2012, 1:03 PM
Also on the Josephine sheriff's site it says they will no longer be accepting out-of-state applications.

Thanks for the update. This must have been a recent decision. He probably doesn't have the personnel to take on the extra work...is my guess.

Bigedski
07-19-2012, 8:33 PM
Thanks Sal and give my thanks to Sheriff Palmer, I recieved my CHL Yesterday.

fit1977
07-31-2012, 8:12 AM
Driving through Oregon up the 5. Any recommendations on where I could stop by to apply for my ccw?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

huntercf
08-08-2012, 5:20 PM

That would be awesome, definitely keep us posted, I'll be there if you do! Thanks for all you do!

ANGLICO
08-08-2012, 6:06 PM

Just checked out the Josephine County Sheriff web site for CHL - as of now, it states they are no longer accepting out of state applications.