PDA

View Full Version : 870 AOW

WDE91
05-08-2012, 10:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone has built an AOW off of an 870?

I saw that JD offers stripped receivers as the starting point
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=285711796

Has anyone built their own AOW?
How was the the build process?
How was the paper work/hoop jumping side of things?
How much money was spent?
If you had to do it over would you still have built the gun vs buying?

Thank you for your help
Joseph Kearns

Quiet
05-08-2012, 11:21 PM
FYI.
Making an AOW = $200 tax stamp
Transfering an AOW = $5 tax stamp

It will always be less expensive to transfer an exisiting AOW than to build your own.

The Safety Harbor Firearms KEG-12 AOW is based off the Remington 870 reciever.

RP1911
05-09-2012, 7:05 AM
www.ebrworks.com sells them

WDE91
05-09-2012, 7:46 AM
www.ebrworks.com sells them

that they do
I dont think I would even be able to come close to what they price them at
they might be receiving a phone call today

not ready to buy just yet but more of a learning phonecall :)

sneather
05-16-2012, 3:54 PM
I was wondering about this. What else is entailed with the $200 AOW transfer fee? Does the gun have to go back into some kind of DROS? What are the steps involved?

winnre
05-16-2012, 4:07 PM
Why not just buy one already made?

PolishMike
05-16-2012, 4:09 PM
Serbu's in stock :)

Mikedril
05-16-2012, 7:13 PM
that they do
I dont think I would even be able to come close to what they price them at
they might be receiving a phone call today

not ready to buy just yet but more of a learning phonecall :)

Give them a call. You will get an education along with excellent customer service. My 12.5" 870 is resting there awaiting ATF approval.

Dead*Reckoned
05-16-2012, 7:23 PM
I just wanted to check, if you purchase a serbu from a dealer through a trust, is that the $5 stamp or the $200 dollar stamp?

626Tony
05-16-2012, 7:29 PM
need a NFA trust!

ke6guj
05-16-2012, 7:36 PM
I just wanted to check, if you purchase a serbu from a dealer through a trust, is that the $5 stamp or the $200 dollar stamp?AOW purchases are on a $5 stamp.

bohoki
05-16-2012, 9:04 PM
remington refuses to sell 870s without a buttstock (there are rare exceptionsto leo armorers) to dealers or distributors

that is why its mostly mossbergs since they ship the persuader buttstockless with a pistol grip

PolishMike
05-17-2012, 6:50 AM
remington refuses to sell 870s without a buttstock (there are rare exceptionsto leo armorers) to dealers or distributors

that is why its mostly mossbergs since they ship the persuader buttstockless with a pistol grip

That is not true at all. They just made a decent sized batch of them. They make a lot less than Mossberg but they do still make them.

Remington even makes factory AOW's.

WDE91
05-17-2012, 7:38 AM
That is not true at all. They just made a decent sized batch of them. They make a lot less than Mossberg but they do still make them.

I was thinking the same exact thing but I figured I would stay quiet

After looking at the costs it would indeed appear to NORMALLY be a better deal to buy vs build

bohoki
05-17-2012, 7:34 PM

ive been a bit out of the game for 10 years or so is this recent?

but i stand corrected

ps what does the oem grip look like is it a tamer,hogue,ati,choate?i hope they arent tacstars cause those are the worst grip ever devised

what is the buttstockless model called (tactical is the catch all) what is the term "they" use

RP1911
05-17-2012, 7:45 PM
Give them a call. You will get an education along with excellent customer service. My 12.5" 870 is resting there awaiting ATF approval.

Same here. Coming up on 6 months. :(

ke6guj
05-17-2012, 8:41 PM
ive been a bit out of the game for 10 years or so is this recent?

but i stand correctedremington has been selling these recently. there was a time about a years ago when they stopped selling them, but that was only for a couple months or so.

what is the buttstockless model called (tactical is the catch all) what is the term "they" usethey don't really have a cool marketing name for them, basically just a model number that designates it as a PG-only gun.

bohoki
05-17-2012, 9:38 PM
remington has been selling these recently. there was a time about a years ago when they stopped selling them, but that was only for a couple months or so.

they don't really have a cool marketing name for them, basically just a model number that designates it as a PG-only gun.

i cant find them in the remington catalog

ke6guj
05-17-2012, 9:43 PM
i cant find them in the remington catalogthey aren't in the catalog, but that doesn't mean that they aren't available.

Just like they offer the 700P in a LH version, even though it isn't in the catalog.

You just have to know the model number to order it.

I used to know the model number of the version they sold a couple years ago, but I assume it has changed.

Quiet
05-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Remington Defense (LE/Gov/Mil sales) lists 870MCS AOWs in their catalog.