PDA

View Full Version : have a maverick 88...

KandyRedCoi
05-08-2012, 6:12 PM
best $200 ive ever spent in my life ;)

thing is im a pretty small guy...i find the factory buttstock LOP to be a tad too long, but i really want to keep it in the same configuration, no telescoping stock, no foldable stock and def NO pistol grip...what are my options?

if all else fails maybe i can buy a factory stock and cut it to size

and another thing, i would also like to use this for clays? do i need to change the bbl? i have the 18.5" security model.
if so, i found the mossberg 500 vented rib, ported, bead sight bbl. any good?

thanks im a total noob so any info would be greatly appreciated thanks!

CZ9
05-08-2012, 6:27 PM
I absolutely love my maverick 88. I have both 28" ribbed barrel I use for clays and the 18.5 for everything else. Bought it years ago for $160 (that was with the 28" only) and haven't had the need for any other shotgun.
With big5 selling the mossberg 500 combo set, usually there are people willing to part with their extra barrel every once in a while. I scored mine for 25 bucks.

mikey357
05-08-2012, 7:30 PM
best $200 ive ever spent in my life ;)

thing is im a pretty small guy...i find the factory buttstock LOP to be a tad too long, but i really want to keep it in the same configuration, no telescoping stock, no foldable stock and def NO pistol grip...what are my options?

if all else fails maybe i can buy a factory stock and cut it to size

and another thing, i would also like to use this for clays? do i need to change the bbl? i have the 18.5" security model.
if so, i found the mossberg 500 vented rib, ported, bead sight bbl. any good?

thanks im a total noob so any info would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Maybe this will help

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-63943.html

p2rider426
05-08-2012, 7:32 PM
I'm jealous :( I've been wanting a 500 combo for a few months now! My 1965 1100 has too much sentimental value to me to feed it heavy loads.

negolien
05-09-2012, 7:39 AM
Ya for the money why not....

steelholder
05-09-2012, 9:39 AM
I'm jealous :( I've been wanting a 500 combo for a few months now! My 1965 1100 has too much sentimental value to me to feed it heavy loads.

Big 5 has this deal for 279.00 sometimes, can't be beat

KandyRedCoi
05-09-2012, 9:55 AM
Maybe this will help

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-63943.html

thanks, ive shortened the lop on my saiga before, i will see what i can do to factory stock, just wanted to see other options if there were any

KandyRedCoi
05-15-2012, 7:58 PM
shot another 30 rounds thru her today...i really need a shorter stock

shellslinger
05-15-2012, 8:08 PM
Check out the Hogue 12" LOP or the 13" LOP Aimpro stock. I currently have the 13" LOP Aimpro on my 590a1 and it feels great. I'm not a big guy either. I don't feel like I'm over extending my pump arm anymore.

Here's a picture of comparing the old with the new stock:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/6908370368_1a80c16495_z.jpg

KandyRedCoi
05-15-2012, 8:15 PM
Check out the Hogue 12" LOP or the 13" LOP Aimpro stock. I currently have the 13" LOP Aimpro on my 590a1 and it feels great. I'm not a big guy either. I don't feel like I'm over extending my pump arm anymore.

Here's a picture of comparing the old with the new stock:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/6908370368_1a80c16495_z.jpg

wow, will that fit my 88 for sure? if so please link me ill order that this week

thank you

shellslinger
05-15-2012, 8:36 PM
Yeah, pretty sure the stock will fit on yours. The one pictured above is the 13" LOP stock.

Here's the link:
http://www.aimprotactical.com/

just click under products and click on the shopping cart and it'll lead you towards the stock.

negolien
05-15-2012, 10:50 PM
I saw a shorter stock somewhere youth model I think might try that.

KandyRedCoi
05-15-2012, 10:55 PM
the 12" LOP may do the trick, im gonna order it this week

Don the savage
05-15-2012, 11:01 PM
I have an original maverick stock i took off mine. I sold the mav last year with a folder on it. I can let the stock go cheap, real cheap, like box of ammo cheap if you are interested and it looks like you are local.
Let me know
Don

madland
05-16-2012, 8:20 PM
I recently got a 500Thunder Ranch and it has a shortened lop stock..not sure if it's 12 or 13"..I'd measure it but it's at MOA Armory in Azusa getting Cerakoted. I would caution you to consider which shorter lop stock to get..I'm only 5'8" and with some loads that thing will kick and your gripping hand will knock you in the face!! I read this on-line AFTER I bought mine. One of the reasons I bought the 500TR is the shorter length stock and compactness for HD. But had I known of this problem I might have gone in a different direction. I'm currently waiting for my order from Midway for a Hogue stock and forend combo. That shorter lop stock also adds to the recoil. My .02

KandyRedCoi
05-16-2012, 8:35 PM
I have an original maverick stock i took off mine. I sold the mav last year with a folder on it. I can let the stock go cheap, real cheap, like box of ammo cheap if you are interested and it looks like you are local.
Let me know
Don
ill keep that in mind thanks

I recently got a 500Thunder Ranch and it has a shortened lop stock..not sure if it's 12 or 13"..I'd measure it but it's at MOA Armory in Azusa getting Cerakoted. I would caution you to consider which shorter lop stock to get..I'm only 5'8" and with some loads that thing will kick and your gripping hand will knock you in the face!! I read this on-line AFTER I bought mine. One of the reasons I bought the 500TR is the shorter length stock and compactness for HD. But had I known of this problem I might have gone in a different direction. I'm currently waiting for my order from Midway for a Hogue stock and forend combo. That shorter lop stock also adds to the recoil. My .02
at this point it quit hard for me to handle the gun cus of its length, id gladly exchange ergonomics for more recoil :) thanks for the heads up

epcii
05-16-2012, 8:42 PM
Have you thought about a youth stock? Also, just a heads up, Bud's has the 500 Cruiser model for $279 shipped.

KandyRedCoi
05-16-2012, 8:52 PM
Have you thought about a youth stock? Also, just a heads up, Bud's has the 500 Cruiser model for $279 shipped.

i will try the 12" lop hogue stock and go from there

BigDogatPlay
05-16-2012, 9:37 PM
I would caution you to consider which shorter lop stock to get..I'm only 5'8" and with some loads that thing will kick and your gripping hand will knock you in the face!!

Sure sign that the LOP is too short. :)

Quick solution, if the gun otherwise fits you reasonably well, is to not wrap your thumb over the top of the grip. If you run the trigger with your right hand, put your thumb pointed straight forward and lay it along the ejection port side of the grip. If you are burying the stock deep down on your shoulder, consider raising it up a bit and you won't have to thrust your head so far forward to get your proper sight picture.

Your left hand should fall somewhere around the middle of the fore end, a little back or forward of center is not an issue. If your left hand goes there with a 13 inch LOP and a squared up fighting stance, there is not a reason (IMO) to go shorter unless you are going to be shooting while wearing armor.

KandyRedCoi
05-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Sure sign that the LOP is too short. :)

Quick solution, if the gun otherwise fits you reasonably well, is to not wrap your thumb over the top of the grip. If you run the trigger with your right hand, put your thumb pointed straight forward and lay it along the ejection port side of the grip. If you are burying the stock deep down on your shoulder, consider raising it up a bit and you won't have to thrust your head so far forward to get your proper sight picture.

Your left hand should fall somewhere around the middle of the fore end, a little back or forward of center is not an issue. If your left hand goes there with a 13 inch LOP and a squared up fighting stance, there is not a reason (IMO) to go shorter unless you are going to be shooting while wearing armor.
yea with a squared stanced i can barely reach the foreend when its pulled forward im short with short arms, LOL, i even had to shorten the LOP on my featureless saiga