PDA

View Full Version : ABC 30 Fresno video: Growing numbers of women are arming themselves

tankarian
05-08-2012, 9:44 AM
A piece of unbiased news on TV?

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/ericsavitz/files/2011/03/hell-freezes-over.jpg

Video at the link http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=8652385

Except:
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A growing number of women are arming themselves with self-defense knowledge and weapons, they say, to protect their families and property from crimes.
-------------
As with any self-defense, pepper spray is only good if you know how to use it. That means keeping it out of your purse and in your hand, when you're walking to your car, and be ready to spray it at a moment's notice.

Armed or not, practice situation awareness wherever you go -- "reading" people and situations so you can react appropriately and avoid any threats.

Instead of being paranoid or scared be more aware and prepared. And that's exactly what these women say they're doing.

keneva
05-08-2012, 12:10 PM
I saw this story this morning. They said that the waiting period is about a year because of the flood of permits being turned in. State law says 90 days. This is BS. Last time I saw the figures, there are only 750 LTC's in Fresno County.

Stonewalker
05-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Seeing more of these stories. Wonderful. People need to stop trying to put a guilt trip on people for choosing to take measures to protect themselves. Self-defense is just simply something every single person should be encouraged to be thinking about.

JJE
05-08-2012, 1:41 PM
College students Briana and Ashley Jonas say their confidence has grown from learning about guns and how to shoot them.

Ashley Jonas said, "It's just nice to be comfortable with something instead of being scared of it."

This has got to be the Brady's and VPC biggest nightmare.

Librarian
05-08-2012, 3:31 PM
I saw this story this morning. They said that the waiting period is about a year because of the flood of permits being turned in. State law says 90 days. This is BS. Last time I saw the figures, there are only 750 LTC's in Fresno County.

As of last September, the number was 3,469. That's still quite low compared to predicted demand of around 3% (20,000 or so).

PC 26205 The licensing authority shall give written notice to the
applicant indicating if the license under this article is approved or
denied. The licensing authority shall give this notice within 90
days of the initial application for a new license or a license
renewal, or 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal
background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later.
If the license is denied, the notice shall state which requirement
was not satisfied.
Clock starts when the application is accepted; failing to accept the apps in a timely manner is a problem of a different kind, not directly related to the 90 days.

SilverTauron
05-08-2012, 5:10 PM
Here is something the NRA can use to its advantage:spin right to carry as a feminist issue in our favor.

That's the core reason this article isn't "biased":women's rights are something men and women both have an opinion on, which makes that subject a story that will reach people and generate more ratings for the news outlets. As far as RKBA is concerned, the quickest way to demolish the shibboleth of the Disarmament Lobby is to turn the metaphorical guns of the Feminist Movement against them.

The Brady Campaign can easily spin a self defense case involving an old white guy with a 1911 as "reckless vigilantism". They can't even touch the story if its about an old or young woman using a 1911 to defend herself and progeny.

Swiss
05-08-2012, 6:07 PM
Seems to me at 02:10 the gal on the left sweeps her muzzle across the lower leg of her partner on the right. I'm not an instructor but this drill doesn't seem like a very good idea.

PanaDP
05-08-2012, 6:56 PM
Quite nice to see people like those women portrayed in the news as regular people and not crazy or paranoid.

GOEX FFF
05-08-2012, 7:59 PM
Women are SOOOOOOOOOOO important to the cause of a LTC, and the right of self-defense. Especially when it comes to defending against an attacker who will almost ways over power them.

303 views here and only 2 comments on that site? :no:
Calgunners, even if the article is positive, we need to step up and comment. There is only one so far.