PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 accidental discharge

mud99
05-08-2012, 8:36 AM
A while back, my fiance and I were shooting skeet at the range.

At one point, she put the safety on, for reasons unknown to me. When she took the safety off, the gun, which was pointed in a safe direction, fired.

In my opinion, she bumped the trigger while fumbling with the safety, however she swears this did not happen. Being the devoted almost-husband, I feel like I should trust her.

Now, I have tried repeatedly to duplicate this event (with the gun unloaded of course), however I have been unable to. I have tried turning the safety on and off with the gun cocked, I have tried banging it on the ground with safety on and off, I have tried everything I possibly can to try and validate her story.

I have also disassembled the trigger group, and I do not see anything broken, worn, etc.

However, the sear is plastic! After seeing that, it really leaves me wondering if her story could possibly be correct.

So what should I do? Should I spend the money and buy an all metal trigger group, just in case her story is correct and my fears about the plastic sear are justified?

I'd hate to blame her for it, and one day find out the hard way that something is wrong with the gun.

fighterpilot562
05-08-2012, 8:43 AM
She must have pulled trigger or something.

BigDogatPlay
05-08-2012, 9:36 AM
As you have disassembled and reassembled the trigger group since it happened sending it to Mossberg or a service center to be re-checked is out of the question. If there is no unusual wear to the sear, plastic or not, then I'd guess it's fine. Up to you whether or not to spend the money on replacement parts, but if it isn't broken it shouldn't need fixing.

Since you've been unable to replicate the problem, and you might try hitting the butt stock on the pad with a dead blow hammer as an end all, beat all test, then the only other conclusions are that either that one time there wasn't good engagement in the trigger group or your charming bride to be had some manner of contact with trigger when she slipped the safety off.

It happened, you've both learned from it and the gun seems fine. I'd get on with your lives together and have fun at the range.

:)

shellslinger
05-08-2012, 9:59 AM
I'm no expert, but I think she may have bumped the trigger.

beretta929mm
05-08-2012, 10:27 AM
It was her index or middle finger touching the trigger while her thumb was manipulating the safety. The safety on some mossberg is stiff, causing people to grip around the trigger area.

Travis590A1
05-08-2012, 12:48 PM
My 590 has a very crisp and light trigger. If her middle finger was resting on or near the trigger while she manipulated the safety chances are during the motion of flick the safety up she bumbed the trigger.

Ribkick
05-08-2012, 1:06 PM
Can someone verify that a 500 has a plastic sear?????

I searched google and couldn't find an answer.

Thanks

HighLander51
05-08-2012, 4:01 PM
In my opinion, she bumped the trigger while fumbling with the safety, however she swears this did not happen.

Your opinion is correct, finger on trigger. New shooters swear they never touched the trigger and the gun went off. Why was her finger on the trigger while fumbling with the safety?

beretta929mm
05-08-2012, 4:18 PM
No need to be too alarming. All she needs is practice to develop some muscle memory.
Eventually that "gold" finger will stay off da trigger.

hayaku
05-08-2012, 4:19 PM
give her a noogie and say it's okay goober... just don't do it again ;)

thompson pump
05-08-2012, 4:19 PM
WOMEN there stupid!!!!What if it was aimed at you or Any One ELSE when it went off?
Guns ARE NOT TOYS 1 shot You could have BEEN Dead man.
I will tell you what happened she pulled the trigger the gun did its job and fired.

beretta929mm
05-08-2012, 4:22 PM
WOMEN there stupid!!!!What if it was aimed at you or Any One ELSE when it went off?
I will tell you what happened she pulled the trigger the gun did its job and fired.

Chill, bro:)

manuelcardenas77
05-08-2012, 4:22 PM
Yes cause only women set off firearms by accident... What a idiot!

shellslinger
05-08-2012, 4:29 PM

http://cdn.lolhappens.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/chillBro.jpg

joefrank64k
05-08-2012, 4:34 PM

WTF??? Easy there, "man"...

Ribkick
05-08-2012, 4:50 PM

Women are idiots? I bet most can spell, use proper punctation and form an acceptable sentence. Unlike you. Who's the idiot?

mikey357
05-08-2012, 5:02 PM

At least she followed rule#2 by not letting the muzzle cover something that she would not be willing to have destroyed. She probably violated #3 by not keeping her trigger finger out of the guard until she was ready to shoot.

SacTown
05-08-2012, 5:04 PM
Women are idiots? I bet most can spell, use proper punctation and form an acceptable sentence. Unlike you. Who's the idiot?

+1

LOL

Ronco
05-08-2012, 5:13 PM
:rofl2:

give her a noogie and say it's okay goober... just don't do it again ;)

Ribkick
05-08-2012, 5:18 PM

punctuation

I hate it when that happens.

mud99
05-08-2012, 5:34 PM
It is hard to correct her when she remembers the event entirely different from how I saw it.

Personally, I don't EVER use the safety on any gun. It serves no legitimate purpose, provides a false illusion of safety, and is a gimmick which distracts the shooter from other things they should be paying attention to.

I am either loaded while aimed at target or unloaded with breech open, period.

Regardless of whether the safety malfunctioned on the gun or not, their was no need for it to be messed with in the first place.

Manolito
05-08-2012, 5:52 PM
I have seen negligent discharges in combat so we can rule out only one type of person has them.
You have a great opportunity to instill self confidence and cement a true long term relationship.
Tell the lady you believe her either buy another trigger group send it off to a certified smith or sell it and buy another gun.

Go over the safety drills and move on. My guess is she learned a lot more than what she is willing to tell you.

Congratulations on almost being a husband that is better than almost pregnant.

p2rider426
05-08-2012, 6:49 PM
My girlfriend is a pleasure to go shoot with, HOWEVER she does not take kindly to being corrected. Thankfully she knows very good muzzle safety and other safe range practices. But if a situation were to happen like what happened to the OP, I bet I would be in the same boat. Women sure a stubborn creatures. Even in the presence of concrete evidence they will take their own opinion.

Fjold
05-08-2012, 7:23 PM
My girlfriend is a pleasure to go shoot with, HOWEVER she does not take kindly to being corrected. Thankfully she knows very good muzzle safety and other safe range practices. But if a situation were to happen like what happened to the OP, I bet I would be in the same boat. Women sure a stubborn creatures. Even in the presence of concrete evidence they will take their own opinion.

It only gets worse after you get married. You think that she's "Miss Right" but you don't realize that her first name is "Always".

xtra870
05-08-2012, 7:32 PM
Accidental discharges do happen though. Yes most should not but i guarantee she isnt the first and isnt the last. I remember my only ND was one day shooting clays with my grandpas old 20ga exposed hammer single shot.
It was my turn and for whatever reason my cousin throwing clays got distracted so i unshouldered the gun and pointed the muzzle up and down range. Now me being only about 12 and having tiny hands, when i went to uncock the hammer it slipped off my thumb and fired. Thank god it was pointed down range and my cousin drilled it into my brain about why always to keep a gun pointed down range. Ill never forget that moment. Scared the piss out of me.

OHOD
05-08-2012, 7:48 PM

This is probably the stupidest post I have read in a while!

proclone1
05-08-2012, 8:13 PM
I am either loaded while aimed at target or unloaded with breech open, period.

Regardless of whether the safety malfunctioned on the gun or not, their was no need for it to be messed with in the first place.

This is what I learned at the skeet clinic! That gun's unloaded unless it's immediately before you bring it to the shoulder.

strongpoint
05-09-2012, 12:44 AM
punctuation

I hate it when that happens.

muphry's law doesn't care how right you are.

ncrotalus
05-09-2012, 6:50 AM
It only gets worse after you get married. You think that she's "Miss Right" but you don't realize that her first name is "Always".

So true :rofl2:

MossbergMan
05-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Eww I know, I know...Thompson Pump is the idiot. :punk: Right?.
I bet he's about as single as human can be with an attitude like that. Or he's just a troll.
What a douche. What you think is your business, but writing it out in public forum is just childish. Gotta go it's my nap time.

12voltguy
05-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Eww I know, I know...Thompson Pump is the idiot. :punk: Right?.
I bet he's about as single as human can be with an attitude like that. Or he's just a troll.
What a douche. What you think is your business, but writing it out in public forum is just childish. Gotta go it's my nap time.

????
isn't that what you just did:confused:

Turbinator
05-09-2012, 3:25 PM

Sorry, we don't tolerate that kind of commentary here.

Hope you feel more positive when you get back from your time off.

Turby

Mana4real
05-09-2012, 3:31 PM
Sorry, we don't tolerate that kind of commentary here.

Hope you feel more positive when you get back from your time off.

Turby

LMAO!! :D

mud99
05-10-2012, 8:37 AM
I think we need more guys like thompson, the threads on calguns are just too civilized for my liking...