PDA

View Full Version : Georgia's Stand Your Ground Law

vantec08
05-08-2012, 4:02 AM
http://www.gpb.org/news/2012/05/07/georgias-stand-your-ground-law

Looks like SYG is getting kicked up to federal review.

johnny_22
05-08-2012, 6:50 AM
Since this is the status quo for the western states, I don't see how the Federal courts can rule that Georgia and other states can not have the same laws.

What I found funny was this quote at the end:

“I expect at least one political party to put a plank in the platform asking for rejection of these laws, thus signaling to civil rights groups and minorities, our party is on your side in the Trayvon Martin Case. You’ve heard the war on women, the war on the rich, get ready for the war on stand your ground.”

Show me the Party that does this, and I will show you the losing Party.

njineermike
05-08-2012, 8:09 AM
Rural Georgia may vote conservative, but not Atlanta. Remember, Jimmy Carter not only got elected in Atlanta, he's revered there. And, just like here, Atlanta runs the state due to higher population denstiy.

vantec08
05-08-2012, 9:25 AM
Since this is the status quo for the western states, I don't see how the Federal courts can rule that Georgia and other states can not have the same laws.

What I found funny was this quote at the end:

“I expect at least one political party to put a plank in the platform asking for rejection of these laws, thus signaling to civil rights groups and minorities, our party is on your side in the Trayvon Martin Case. You’ve heard the war on women, the war on the rich, get ready for the war on stand your ground.”

Show me the Party that does this, and I will show you the losing Party.

. .. .. . which is my whole problem with contemporary politics. Once something gets placed in the political arena, the first casualty is the simple, plain truth. The second casualty is political fixes to non-political problems.