PDA

View Full Version : Burro Canyon question

ibanezfoo
05-02-2007, 2:52 PM
I was thinking out going out to Burro Canyon this weekend but I have a question. I've read that it gets kind of crowded during the weekend and I was wondering if there are any times of day less crowded than others? I was thinking about going out there a little later, 2 or 3. If its always crowded, is there any time where the gangbanger riff raff is less likely to be there?

Thanks!

-Bryan

Cazach
05-02-2007, 3:00 PM
Early is best. Get there before they open and get out around noon. By then the dregs are starting to show up.

Even better are the weekdays and the private ranges.

proraptor
05-02-2007, 3:12 PM
I agree go early....all the gangsters like sleeping in and dont get there till noon...

MrLogan
05-02-2007, 3:21 PM
Get a private range, too. Waaaay better than using the public ranges. :D

ibanezfoo
05-02-2007, 3:25 PM
Wow thanks for the quick replies! Is Sunday any less crowded than Saturday? And does it get REALLY crowded? I mean like every bench taken and I'm standing around picking my nose for a few hours.... Are the pistols any more crowded than the rifles?

Oh also, for the private ranges... if I gather up 4 or 5 of my buddies and go there is it likely to get a private range or is it something that must be booked in advance?

Sorry for the question storm... I did a search already but I didn't really see definitive answers to these questions. I don't usually go to outdoor ranges because of the hassle, but nowdays I don't really want to drive out to the middle of the Mojave where I usually go.

Ah one more. Out of Burro, Angeles, and Inland F & G which is the least crowded?

Thanks!

-Bryan

rorschach
05-02-2007, 5:25 PM
+1 for going during the week if at all possible....if you must go weekends, get there when they open.

bobfried
05-02-2007, 5:25 PM
There's an ARFCOM shoot on May 5th. We already have the new upper private range reserved for the event, just show up and bring some food to share:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=261367

It's your best bet to enjoy a true private range (different road, gate, 1/4 mile away from the regular range) while only paying the regular admission. Show up to the main shack, pay your money, tell them your there for the event and they'll guide you to the private range. Trust me, you'll be spoiled.

ibanezfoo
05-02-2007, 7:10 PM
Oh, what about spent casings? In the desert we pick up everything (tread lightly).... but what about the range? If they are bouncing in front of other shooters it doesn't seem too safe to pick them up...

-Bryan

-aK-
05-02-2007, 9:34 PM
rapid firing is ok. just be responsible and dont act like you're enjoying it 'too much'. (ie. firing from the waist, Laughing diabolically after a mag dump,etc)

hahahahaha

hardkore909
05-03-2007, 2:35 PM
This is just me, but i wouldnt want to goto any ranges that BWO frequented for a while till things cool off.

ibanezfoo
05-03-2007, 2:43 PM
This is just me, but i wouldnt want to goto any ranges that BWO frequented for a while till things cool off.

What is BWO ? I'm not up on all the acronyms.

-Bryan

JOEKILLA
05-03-2007, 4:01 PM
What is BWO ? I'm not up on all the acronyms.

-Bryan

BWO = BlackWaterOps

I'd be in Burro the minute I get to SoCal again. They can watch all day if they'd like. :rolleyes:

wildcard
05-03-2007, 4:35 PM
I'll be there this Saturday before they even open. Anyone want to join?

ibanezfoo
05-03-2007, 6:01 PM
I'm thinking of going Sunday, leaving Saturday to build frames and stuff. I might come down with a one day flu on Monday :) Although, I get to pick up my new AR tomorrow night so if I can't sleep because I'm too excited to sleep I might cruise up Saturday morning :) I usually have a difficult time waking up before 0830 on the weekends because of my stressful job :(

-Bryan

TBoliv
05-03-2007, 8:05 PM
Regardless of anything else about Burro, I have to give it to the guy who runs the barbecue. Damn good Tri Tip sandwiches.

wildcard
05-03-2007, 8:13 PM
Regardless of anything else about Burro, I have to give it to the guy who runs the barbecue. Damn good Tri Tip sandwiches.

I heard about that.. i'll have to give it a try.

Directshot
05-03-2007, 9:40 PM
Haven't been at Burro during the weekends. I'm one of the fortunate few that have a day off during the week. I joined Burro as a member about three years ago. By going during the week you don't have to plan weeks in advance or spend $60 for a private range if your a member.... if there is one available you get it that morning. I haven't been up there yet and not gotten a private range during the week. The range masters are great people and don't put up with any crap off the knuckleheads if they start anything. Always a great place to shoot.

ibanezfoo
05-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Regarding the private ranges.... do I have to bring a few people? What if just my wife and I wanted to rent out a private range for a few hours? I'd pay the 60 bucks if that meant I don't have to put up with gangbangers or brass flying bouncing off my head. I'm too spoiled with the Mojave. I don't mind sharing and being around people... but I don't want to make the drive if I have to deal with riff raff... I don't mean to come off as an elitest or anything, but I shoot for enjoyment and to relax... I can't really do that if people are shooting up my targets and stealing my gear.

At any rate, I'm still going to make the trip out there at least once, just to see it with my own eyes and see if all the horror stories I've been reading are that big of a deal to me.

-Bryan

Hitman
05-04-2007, 8:51 AM
Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but do you have to be a member to rent a private range or can anyone call and rent a range?

JOEKILLA
05-04-2007, 9:16 AM
Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but do you have to be a member to rent a private range or can anyone call and rent a range?

Anyone can call and rent the private ranges.

Jarhead
05-06-2007, 8:55 AM
What about West End Gun Club, what's it like there - crowd / shooting facilities?

ja391
05-07-2007, 1:18 AM

What do you mean by this? What did BWO do?

wxc96
05-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Went to Burro today.... nice and quiet...excellent day for a shoot

and the pulled pork was great....:)

wildcard
05-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Were you at the far end of the rifle range?

Yup. It was a great day for shooting. I'm there's pretty much every Saturday!

den888
02-04-2010, 6:18 PM
Private ranges are the best at Burro.

Vanguard
02-04-2010, 8:14 PM
Private ranges are the best at Burro.

I'm pretty sure he knows by now....this thread is 3 years old. :D

ibanezfoo
02-05-2010, 7:58 AM
I'm pretty sure he knows by now....this thread is 3 years old. :D

Yeah... been there many times now... :)

There is a lot of necro posting going on as of late. Whats with that?

Trench Broom
02-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Well, Zombieland DID come out on DVD this week so........ :rolleyes: Actually, I'm nuking some popcorn right now and getting ready to watch it in a bit. I was gonna head up to Burro tommorrow morning, but this stupid rain just won't quit. :mad: The San Gabriel mountains looked like a d**m fogbank all afternoon today. Supposed to rain all day tommorrow too - looks like I'll be sleeping in late after all.

4ntvings
02-06-2010, 3:04 PM
hopin to go next sat, private range...
pls no rain...

BakerPD
02-06-2010, 3:11 PM
Yeah... been there many times now... :)

There is a lot of necro posting going on as of late. Whats with that?

necro posting ahaha

I used the search feature and found posts that I wanted to post in :D

whats wrong with used old post they are just as good as new ones sometimes even better

fabguy
02-07-2010, 7:30 AM
hopin to go next sat, private range...
pls no rain...

Hey i was planning on going too. If you want to share a private range, let me know. I am a member up there. (North 1 & 2 are best)