PDA

View Full Version : Gay Ind. teen had stun gun to ward off schoo

YubaRiver
05-07-2012, 4:42 PM
"Gay Ind. teen had stun gun to ward off school bullies, now he's suspended"

Having had to pull my kid from school because they didn't keep him safe,
I feel for this mom and kid. Don't really know what the answer is, but he
should be able to defend himself if the school won't.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57429483-504083/gay-ind-teen-had-stun-gun-to-ward-off-school-bullies-now-hes-suspended/?google_editors_picks=true

Gray Peterson
05-07-2012, 5:03 PM
He should get a medal.

Kukuforguns
05-07-2012, 5:22 PM
Money quotes:
Arsenal Tech principal Larry Yarrell says that Young is a flamboyant dresser and that school staff had been trying to get him to "tone down" his accessories.

"If you wear female apparel, then kids are kids and they're going to say whatever it is that they want to say," Yarrell told CNN. "Because you want to be different and because you choose to wear female apparel, it may happen. In the idealistic society, it shouldn't matter. People should be able to wear what they want to wear."
Gosh, I'm sure that the school is doing everything in its power to protect this kid. I guess it's true, women wearing short skirts really do want to be abused. And we all have met so many adolescents who "want to be different."

Drivedabizness
05-07-2012, 5:44 PM
Here is another example where the law in CA was clear and enforced.

"You are responsible for my kids safety from the time he leaves until the time he/she gets home". One time when I was about 12, some of the "older kids" made me fight 3 guys (one at a time) on my way home. After I gave all three a bloody nose, two of them held a broken bottle to my abdomen and said they were going to kill me. They finally let me go. I was about hysterical by the time I got home and told my folks I wasn't going back. My sainted Mom called the principal and told him, in no uncertain terms, that if any of her kids ever had any kind of an issue she would be suing him personally and enjoying living off his retirement(s). Bullying at that school became untolerated immediately thereafter. The point is you have to hit these people where it hurts or they will simply coast along, indifferent to what happens to kids.

Some time back the CA legislature changed this basic tenet. Now you have "zero tolerance" policies, where a kid who defends himself gets suspended along with the bully.

I have always let my kids principals know that if my child has to take responsibility for their own defense than the principal should expect a suspension, not my kid. Its worked so far...

Dreaded Claymore
05-07-2012, 5:57 PM
According CNN, Young discharged the stun gun in the air after six fellow students surrounded him on April 16 and threatened to beat him up.

"I got kicked out of school for me bringing the weapon to school, but I honestly don't think that that was fair," Young told CNN. "I didn't use it on nobody ... all I did was raise it up in the air and went back to my class."
He didn't even have to use his weapon. Just displaying it was enough to secure his safety. And it was as nonlethal a weapon as they come, too. He did everything right.

Arsenal Tech principal Larry Yarrell says that Young is a flamboyant dresser and that school staff had been trying to get him to "tone down" his accessories.

"If you wear female apparel, then kids are kids and they're going to say whatever it is that they want to say," Yarrell told CNN. "Because you want to be different and because you choose to wear female apparel, it may happen. In the idealistic society, it shouldn't matter. People should be able to wear what they want to wear."

You're blaming the victim, you douche. Do you also tell female students to "tone down" their apparel if they don't want to get raped?

CBS Cleveland reports that the decision on whether to expel Young is expected to be handed down in the coming days.

In a few days, if there is justice, CBS Cleveland will be reporting that the decision whether to expel Yarrell is expected to be handed down.

alfred1222
05-07-2012, 6:01 PM
i agree ^^^

Whiskey84
05-07-2012, 7:55 PM
I have always let my kids principals know that if my child has to take responsibility for their own defense than the principal should expect a suspension, not my kid. Its worked so far...

^This +1