PDA

View Full Version : CBS2/KCAL9 to sponsor another gun buyback for the LAPD

curtisfong
05-07-2012, 3:34 PM
The policy at CBS/KCAL is that the LAPD is a "partner".

Sound familiar?

Yes, the liberal media is as corrupt as Murdoch's media.

Hakoomay
05-07-2012, 3:43 PM
I'm not sure if it was asked on other buy back threads, but are there any laws against standing on the block near the buyback station to maybe purchase a firearm (legally of course) by offering them slightly more than the buyback program offers? lol

Lagduf
05-07-2012, 3:50 PM
I'm not sure if it was asked on other buy back threads, but are there any laws against standing on the block near the buyback station to maybe purchase a firearm (legally of course) by offering them slightly more than the buyback program offers? lol

I know other Calgunners have done just what you propose.

dvcrsn
05-07-2012, 4:47 PM
a man I know slightly is organizing groups to throw a bit of a monkey wrench into the gears, and he was going to go after a federal writ to get access to the buyback sites

Hakoomay
05-07-2012, 4:52 PM
I know other Calgunners have done just what you propose.

And how did they go about it? Any trouble from a legal standpoint? Any succcesful transfers??

greg36f
05-07-2012, 7:17 PM
This really is not a battle worth fighting. Is the hassle worth it? To me, it is not, but if you really want to do it, there is a guy somewhere here on Cal Guns who did it (I think he was banned from OT) named "pullinshoot25" or something. He used to have his own blog or something, so a quick google search will get you to him.

I mean, setting up a table in LA, buying guns with cash and thumbing your nose at the LAPD, what could go wrong?

Pick your battles and buy your C and R's at big 5 for $119.00.

bbsmth
05-07-2012, 7:28 PM
This really is not a battle worth fighting. Is the hassle worth it? To me, it is not, but if you really want to do it, there is a guy somewhere here on Cal Guns who did it (I think he was banned from OT) named "pullinshoot25" or something. He used to have his own blog or something, so a quick google search will get you to him.

I mean, setting up a table in LA, buying guns with cash and thumbing your nose at the LAPD, what could go wrong?

Pick your battles and buy your C and R's at big 5 for $119.00.

googled the buy back locations... /agree.

SilverTauron
05-07-2012, 7:33 PM
I wouldn't camp out at a buyback, but for a different reason than others mention here. A police buyback is a great way for crooks to dispose of "pre-owned" illicit firearms. According to an economist who studied Chicago's black market on weapons pre-Heller, a crook who bought a gun not only paid a premium compared to the "legal" market, but they stood in a dilemma if the weapon was used in a crime.

Can't sell it to family & friends, because they all know *why* its up for sale.
Can't sell it to fellow crooks because no one wants a *hot* gun with a police trail on it.
Can't toss it in the lake lest some tourist or cop find it.

A police amnesty or buyback solves this dilemma rather neatly for a felon who needs to dispense with some evidence.

zhyla
05-07-2012, 8:08 PM
The policy at CBS/KCAL is that the LAPD is a "partner".

Sound familiar?

Yes, the liberal media is as corrupt as Murdoch's media.

I'm not sure I follow you. It's not ok for a corporation to sponsor a gun buyback? Local non-profits do it all the time. Just because you don't agree with their political leanings doesn't make them corrupt.

My only real problem with buybacks is perfectly good guns getting melted down. It's just a waste of resources.

CitaDeL
05-07-2012, 8:10 PM
I wouldn't camp out at a buyback, but for a different reason than others mention here. A police buyback is a great way for crooks to dispose of "pre-owned" illicit firearms. According to an economist who studied Chicago's black market on weapons pre-Heller, a crook who bought a gun not only paid a premium compared to the "legal" market, but they stood in a dilemma if the weapon was used in a crime.

Can't sell it to family & friends, because they all know *why* its up for sale.
Can't sell it to fellow crooks because no one wants a *hot* gun with a police trail on it.
Can't toss it in the lake lest some tourist or cop find it.

A police amnesty or buyback solves this dilemma rather neatly for a felon who needs to dispense with some evidence.

This isnt what I want police to do. If a prohibited person has commited a crime and wants to dispose of a gun, I do not want it to be easy for them. I want it to be difficult and I want criminals to go to jail- particularly if the gun is the evidence of the crime.

What we have consistantly seen in these buybacks are not guns that are typically used in crimes, but firearms that are unwanted by the possessors- guns that do not work, antiques and curios that were inheirited by elder widows, small caliber training firearms, et cetera... all treated the same.

I think that an organized group can and should oppose the buyback program, if not to foil the destruction of valuable or usable firearms- then to expose the buyback as a fraudulent program that does absolutely nothing to keep communities safe by removing guns from the streets.

Baconator
05-07-2012, 8:12 PM
I think there was a post on one of these where you could tell many of the guns were props or otherwise not functioning. People just want their gift cards.

mopeddog
05-07-2012, 8:24 PM
My brother told me he turned an old single shot shotgun(he found in an alley). They gave him only $75 worth of gift cards to food 4 less. He said they haggled him down based on the condition and type of firearm. He also said it took over an hour wait in line.

curtisfong
05-07-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm not sure I follow you. It's not ok for a corporation to sponsor a gun buyback? Local non-profits do it all the time. Just because you don't agree with their political leanings doesn't make them corrupt.

BULL. First off, journalists aren't supposed to have political leanings.

Secondly, you are missing the collusion that happens between the LAPD (and LASD, CHP etc.) and the news outlets.

The news reporters depend on PD's to supply them with stories, and access to whatever crime scene details, perp descriptions, etc. etc. they can give to them.

In return, the news outlets report ONLY what the PD's tell them... which usually isn't a problem, except when the PD is feeding them blatant propaganda about, say, guns or "big drug busts".

Where do you think journalists get all their laughably stupid gun misinformation from? Hint: their SOLE source for that kind of research is.... PDs. They know the last thing they should do is question the information that PDs give them. 1st rule of journalism: don't bite the hand that feeds you high ratings.

devilinblack
05-08-2012, 7:19 AM
I hate these buybacks but... I've got a Rohm .22 revolver that's worth maybe $40 and only works half the time. I'm seriously thinking about doing the buy-back thing and using the $100 visa gift card at Turners for something better. :-)

Spyder
05-08-2012, 7:39 AM

Since when?

troysland
05-08-2012, 7:55 AM
Have you seen or heard Rachel Maddow? She's all about political leanings!

dbo31
05-08-2012, 8:53 AM
Legal and responsible gun owners aren't participating in these things so hey..go for it. Its mostly stolen weapons I would assume

dbo31
05-08-2012, 8:56 AM

Maddow/Olbermann/o'reilly/Hannity are all classified as entertainment and "talk shows" so they don't have to have any standards basically

Sutcliffe
05-08-2012, 9:01 AM
Suppose we had a hammer buyback because somebody went on a murder rampage with a hammer. Would carpenters turn their hammers in? Not bloody likely. The only people to turn in their hammers will be those who NO LONGER have use for them.
Retired carpenters might turn theirs in. Or maybe an old, beater hammer, with a loose head or split handle.
Why turn in the tools of your trade?

Steve1968LS2
05-08-2012, 9:16 AM
I like gun buy backs..

It's a good way for smart people to get $$$ for junk guns.

AND.. stupid people to get rid of nice guns since stupid people shouldn't have firearms.

Win/Win

CitaDeL
05-08-2012, 9:17 AM
Legal and responsible gun owners aren't participating in these things so hey..go for it. Its mostly stolen weapons I would assume

Really? They aren't?

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Gun-owners-say-farewell-to-arms-3537227.php

In the article here, it indicates that the gun owners had to turn in a firearm that worked to get the Wal*mart $50 gift card. It further specifies that the police took no identification information. Then, the journalist alleges that some were lawfully owned, but most were not. How do you know with any certainty that this statement was factual if you do not know who owned them? The allegation is a bald-faced lie to gin up controversy and pat the police on the back.

Also look at the seized weapons in the picture. Are any of the weapons pictured what criminals would consider desirable weapons to commit their crimes with? While a 40 year old scoped deer rifle is a man killer, a gang banger isn't likely to choose this to rob the 7-11.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/middlesex_county_officials_ret.html

Here's another example. In the photo, the vast majority of the long guns appear to be sporting arms... not evil 'assault' weapons. Yet the police get the media's pat on the back for getting guns off the street without having to apprehend a criminal.

If we were to get the backstory on those who were dumping these weapons for pocket change, I would wager that few have any involvment in crime aside from being improperly stored or stolen from a rightful owner.

curtisfong
05-08-2012, 9:31 AM
Since when?

They certainly don't openly donate money to political causes.

curtisfong
05-08-2012, 9:32 AM

Editorial.

Not "real" journalism.

FastFinger
05-08-2012, 9:55 AM
If I had a spare 30 minutes I'd write a quick boilerplate FAQ to post as the second post in every future "Buyback" thread.

We always have the same questions and the same answers. There is nothing new under the sun.

LHC30
05-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Just for arguments sake, if some had the time, would it be of any purpose to "picket" the gun buy backs with signs pointing out the obvious flaws in the program?

compulsivegunbuyer
05-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Even if they take in, say, 300 guns, Ruger is still backordered 1 million guns. It does not even scratch the surface.

glockman19
05-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Just another reason NOT to watch CBS-2/KCAL-9...or buy from their advertisers.

Want to make a real impact...watch the news for a week on both chanels...make a list of Advertisers...write to them that you and other supporters of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution will no longer watch their news.

Hot them where it hurts...in the pocketbook.

me109g4
05-08-2012, 10:20 AM
If the buyback sponsors/LAPD put a print ad in the paper about the buyback how about an ad in the paper the next day offering a better price???

NYsteveZ
05-08-2012, 10:52 AM
I dont see an issue, as most of the guns turned in are garbage. Do buybacks work? I HIGHLY doubt it in most cases. A carpenter wouldnt sell off his tools of the trade for a gift card, so neither would a hardened criminal. My main concern would be criminals stealing an honest guys deer hunting rifle to turn it in for a quick buck.
Another advantage-The anti's come out of their pockets to buy these junk guns. That is money wasted on this, rather than lawyers lining up to take our rights.

dbo31
05-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Really? They aren't?

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Gun-owners-say-farewell-to-arms-3537227.php

In the article here, it indicates that the gun owners had to turn in a firearm that worked to get the Wal*mart $50 gift card. It further specifies that the police took no identification information. Then, the journalist alleges that some were lawfully owned, but most were not. How do you know with any certainty that this statement was factual if you do not know who owned them? The allegation is a bald-faced lie to gin up controversy and pat the police on the back.

Not quite sure what your point is or why anyone would be upset honestly..Some people want to participate in the buy back and they do..some criminals may want money for their guns or maybe they won't..its up to the individual. No jack booted thugs are coming and demanding your guns..Its out there..you can choose to participate or not so getting angry at the police department makes no sense..the hammer thing is strawman. No one is running around on crazy hammer death spree's.("OH BUT THEY TOTALLY COULD!!!"..No they couldn't)

zhyla
05-08-2012, 11:50 AM

I'm sure how you can say that with a straight face, but regardless, they've got a 1A right to push a political agenda as they see fit. You don't have to watch their news or buy their papers.

Secondly, you are missing the collusion that happens between the LAPD (and LASD, CHP etc.) and the news outlets.

The news reporters depend on PD's to supply them with stories, and access to whatever crime scene details, perp descriptions, etc. etc. they can give to them.

In return, the news outlets report ONLY what the PD's tell them... which usually isn't a problem, except when the PD is feeding them blatant propaganda about, say, guns or "big drug busts".

Where do you think journalists get all their laughably stupid gun misinformation from? Hint: their SOLE source for that kind of research is.... PDs. They know the last thing they should do is question the information that PDs give them. 1st rule of journalism: don't bite the hand that feeds you high ratings.

You say collusion/corruption, I just see cooperation. It's even in the public's interest to report information from the PD's. You want them to hire PI's to investigate every little stabbing before they report on it? Corruption would be the news companies agreeing to not report on stories that put PD's in a negative light. At least in San Diego that seems to not be the case (they reported heavily on the cop sexual coercion case, for example).

Just because someone is anti-gun doesn't make them evil and corrupt.

CitaDeL
05-08-2012, 3:53 PM
Not quite sure what your point is or why anyone would be upset honestly..Some people want to participate in the buy back and they do..some criminals may want money for their guns or maybe they won't..its up to the individual. No jack booted thugs are coming and demanding your guns..Its out there..you can choose to participate or not so getting angry at the police department makes no sense..the hammer thing is strawman. No one is running around on crazy hammer death spree's.("OH BUT THEY TOTALLY COULD!!!"..No they couldn't)

Why would anyone be upset?

1) 'Buybacks' are promoted as crime prevention.
2) But 'buybacks' do not prevent crime.
3) By partcipating in buybacks, gunowners aide the false perception that guns are evil and must taken to police to be disposed of.
4) Even if the firearm is 'junk' the media can portray the gross numbers as a police victory against the 'proliferation of guns' on the streets, further bolstering the false perception that guns are evil and must be destroyed.
5) The police are lauded and congratulated for reducing crime, wherein they arrest no criminals but destroy property that might be evidence of a crime.

Yeah. I completely see no reason to be pissed.:mad:

yellowfin
05-08-2012, 4:12 PM
Just because someone is anti-gun doesn't make them evil and corrupt.It's about as reliable an indicator as currently exists.

Pig Rifle
05-08-2012, 6:32 PM
Another thing to remember is that it's not just Ralph's and other anti-freedom businesses that are paying for these goatropes. You and I are paying these officers to sit here doing this crap all weekend while real crime goes unabated. This is one of the reasons why I have no sympathy for the LEAs and cop unions who piss and moan about there not being enough police "on the street". Well tough **** then, Officer McShiftless! Gonna stroke away an entire weekend doing this pointless, feelgood garbage while suckling the Gubment teat? Time to fire these useless eaters.

SanPedroShooter
05-08-2012, 6:36 PM
Another thing to remember is that it's not just Ralph's and other anti-freedom businesses that are paying for these goatropes. You and I are paying these officers to sit here doing this crap all weekend while real crime goes unabated. This is one of the reasons why I have no sympathy for the LEAs and cop unions who piss and moan about there not being enough police "on the street". Well tough **** then, Officer McShiftless! Gonna stroke away an entire weekend doing this pointless, feelgood garbage while suckling the Gubment teat? Time to fire these useless eaters.

Ha ha, preach on neighbor!

I'll see you at Vons....

I like the one at 25th and Western, beats standing in line in the Ghetto Vons on Gaffey behind some 'useless eater' (I like that) with a cart full of steak, junk food, a dozen boxes of Pepsi and an EBT card.

I dont think there is a Ralphs between here and Torrance...

Pig Rifle
05-08-2012, 6:46 PM
Ha ha, preach on neighbor!

I'll see you at Vons....

I like the one at 25th and Western, beats standing in line in the Ghetto Vons on Gaffey behind some 'useless eater' (I like that) with a cart full of steak, junk food, a dozen boxes of Pepsi and an EBT card.

I dont think there is a Ralphs between here and Torrance...

I can't really take full credit for the "useless eater" thing. It was first uttered I think by some evil politician whose name escapes me. And yeah the 13th Street Vons is known around my family as "tweaker Vons" LOL.

dbo31
05-09-2012, 6:59 AM
Why would anyone be upset?

1) 'Buybacks' are promoted as crime prevention.
2) But 'buybacks' do not prevent crime.
3) By partcipating in buybacks, gunowners aide the false perception that guns are evil and must taken to police to be disposed of.
4) Even if the firearm is 'junk' the media can portray the gross numbers as a police victory against the 'proliferation of guns' on the streets, further bolstering the false perception that guns are evil and must be destroyed.
5) The police are lauded and congratulated for reducing crime, wherein they arrest no criminals but destroy property that might be evidence of a crime.

Yeah. I completely see no reason to be pissed.:mad:

I think you're trying really hard to find a reason to be pissed..The police simply buy back guns that individuals bring to them..its THEIR gun to do with as they please. It effects your gun ownership status in no way whatsoever. But please..carry on with being angry at literally nothing that effects you. These aren't quality rifles and handguns they're taking off the streets and most importers and manufactures of weapons here can't keep up with demand so you probably don't have to worry. Just adjust your tin foil hat and calm down.

me109g4
05-09-2012, 6:24 PM
Dunno who is angry,,,, I just dont want to see a ww2 luger or ppk go to the scrapper. they can have all the junk guns they want, i just want a shot at saving the good stuff.

CitaDeL
05-09-2012, 7:34 PM
I think you're trying really hard to find a reason to be pissed..The police simply buy back guns that individuals bring to them..its THEIR gun to do with as they please. It effects your gun ownership status in no way whatsoever. But please..carry on with being angry at literally nothing that effects you. These aren't quality rifles and handguns they're taking off the streets and most importers and manufactures of weapons here can't keep up with demand so you probably don't have to worry. Just adjust your tin foil hat and calm down.

I can see we will not agree about what kind of harm these events have on the perception of guns and gunowners.

We will also not agree that all the rifles and handguns are junk. Granted, many are... but even if they arent WWII vintage heirlooms or highly prized rarities, there are uses for those bolt action .22's and small caliber handguns among Appleseed groups or other marksmanship and safety events for young or new shooters.

I will also contend that there is something disingenuous about a self professed second amendment advocate that isn't compelled to challenge the gun buyback concept at its root. I dont believe we should take part in a program that means to villainize the tools of self defense, or to take them from those willfully ignorant of their use.