PDA

View Full Version : DOJ release delay

SublimeJJ99
05-07-2012, 3:37 PM
I recently DROS'ed 4 guns...2 long guns and 2 handguns. I had 3 released to me on the 10th day as usual but the DOJ put a hold on one of the handguns. At first I thought it might be the whole 30 days between handgun purchases law, but that law does not apply to private party transfers. I called the DOJ and the only info I'm getting is that they are waiting on an outside agency for more information on the firearm that was not released. It's been almost a month and I still have recieved no word from my FFL or the DOJ. If the DOJ does not release the gun within' the 30 days will I have to DROS the handgun again when they do clear it?

Has this happened to anyone here and how long does this process take? I got all the guns from a family member and I'm certain that the gun was not reported stolen. I'm curious as to why this might happen and if anyone could shed some light on the situation.

zinfull
05-07-2012, 4:17 PM
It maybe a bad serial number match. I had one hit as stolen and it took around 8 months to correct. They took the gun and sent to the reporting agency for verification and then returned to the local police and then to my FFL. Keep calling DOJ and after you get someone who knows what is happening they will answer all your questions.

jerry

dantodd
05-07-2012, 4:29 PM
I've also heard of cases where the DOJ released the hold but never notifies the owner or ffl. Call the ffl before the 30 days are up and see if the hold was released with no notification.

stitchnicklas
05-07-2012, 4:45 PM
make sure the ffl did not put the model# in the serial# spot,quick way to get a hold

SublimeJJ99
05-07-2012, 5:32 PM
It maybe a bad serial number match. I had one hit as stolen and it took around 8 months to correct. They took the gun and sent to the reporting agency for verification and then returned to the local police and then to my FFL. Keep calling DOJ and after you get someone who knows what is happening they will answer all your questions.

jerry

When it was eventually cleared, did you have DROS it again? I will definitely stay on top of both the DOJ and my FFL though. I'm just impatient as hell I guess. I already loaded some rounds for it and everything. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

SublimeJJ99
05-07-2012, 5:41 PM
I've also heard of cases where the DOJ released the hold but never notifies the owner or ffl. Call the ffl before the 30 days are up and see if the hold was released with no notification.

That's BS. I will definitely stay on top of both the DOJ and FFL. I wasn't even notified by my FFL when they placed a hold on it. I will be going to a different FFL from here on out.

SublimeJJ99
05-07-2012, 5:46 PM
make sure the ffl did not put the model# in the serial# spot,quick way to get a hold

Oh wow. I didnt' even think of this posibility. I should go back down there and check. Thanks for the advice.