PDA

View Full Version : I need Help-Beltfed Ar upper legal issue

uzigalil
05-07-2012, 2:23 PM
After nearly 10 years of waiting for my Ares Shrike upper, And they notified me that a final invoice is on the way, today I got a letter from the company saying that there interpretation of Cali laws restrict the upper as a high capacity magazine and want legal proof that its ok to ship to me.

I intend to put this upper on a registered AW ar lower.
They want some sort of documentation.

also no belts or magazines are being sent just an upper.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

unusedusername
05-07-2012, 2:25 PM
Tell them not to send you a belt.

In CA belts are magazines, not the belt-feed device.

uzigalil
05-07-2012, 2:28 PM
There not sending a belt or magazine, just the upper.

dantodd
05-07-2012, 2:34 PM
The upper has a capacity of 1, the round in the chamber. You my not mfg a new belt with more than 10 links. Send them a notarized letter stating that you will not mfg any new belts with grater than 10 rds. linked. Then a copy of the pertinent penal code showing that a high capacity ammunition feeding device is one which holds more than 10 rds.

alfred1222
05-07-2012, 2:41 PM
The upper has a capacity of 1, the round in the chamber. You my not mfg a new belt with more than 10 links. Send them a notarized letter stating that you will not mfg any new belts with grater than 10 rds. linked. Then a copy of the pertinent penal code showing that a high capacity ammunition feeding device is one which holds more than 10 rds.

i agree, do this

Muscles Glasses
05-07-2012, 2:54 PM

Agreed! Or if they insist on not sending you the links, just go find another site selling the appropriate ones and purchase a box full of those. Of course without assembling any more than 10. Otherwise as long as it is on a registered lower you should be good to go.

timdps
05-07-2012, 2:54 PM
The upper has no connection to "high capacity magazine" whatsoever. The magazine is the belt, so you will need to show them the high cap law, including the part about belts. The CA DOJ is not going to be any help, so it will be up to you to persuade them unless CGF wants to get involved.

Probably will need to tell that that you own pre-ban belts that are legal to use because they were owned before Jan 1, 2000.

Tim

edit: did not see "registered AW"

wazdat
05-07-2012, 3:04 PM
Have them ship it to family or friend in another state and then have them ship it to you. It's an upper so it doesn't have to transfer through an FFL.