PDA

View Full Version : Planning a Hunting/Fishing/Camping Trip

DJDace
05-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi everyone,

My wife has asked me to plan a Hunting/Fishing/Camping trip for ourselves and a few select friends. Being as I am an immigrant here (Canadian born and raised) I am not sure how I go about getting licensed to hunt and fish, nor about where we should go to get the best of all 3 things (or at the least even be ABLE to do all 3 things at all).

So, I thought I would put the question to YOU, the Outdoorsmen, Fishermen and Hunters of Calguns to offer any advice and counsel you might have in regards to this topic. To give some basic information as to what I had in mind;

Tent camping - with permission to have a small camp fire
Still water or river fishing (no boating)
Small to medium game hunting (from rabbits to wild pigs and deer)

I will be bringing with me obviously my fishing rods and tackle, a 12x14x78 tent (can sleep 8 comfortably) and my leveraction Marlin 30-30, my .45LC SA revolver, a 9mm Ruger carbine and maybe my 6.5 Grendel AR (if it's done in time) and of course a good fixed blade knife.

I have camped extensively before in the Canadian wilderness (Northern Ontario) in temperatures as low as minus 15C (minus 30 with windchill). I have slept on rocks, damp earth and sand before. I am accustomed to living rough for a period of time. I know my way around a campsite, how to monitor, maintain and extinguish a camp fire, not to mention keep my site in the same condition I found it in (if not better if I can manage it).

So, if anyone has any advice, suggestions or ideas please let me know. I plan to do some web surfing to find out what I can about hunting tags and fishing permits, but if you care to chime in with words of wisdom please do so.

Thanks in advance for your help.

FatKatMatt
05-02-2007, 11:44 AM
I suggest you go backpacking in the Marble Mountain Wilderness, up near the Oregon border. There are no people if you hike a few miles in, and the river is just pristine, it seems completely untouched. As long as you have a fishing license I believe you can fish in it. To get a hunting license you will need to take the Hunter Education Safety Course, get it validated, get your license, then get a tag for the zone you will be hunting in. I've seen a few mule deer up there, and I've heard some bears. You can light fires here, I would suggest doing it in a pre-made campsite.

Since you would have to backpack in you couldn't bring too much gear.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
05-02-2007, 11:49 AM
DJDace,
You will need to take a hunters safety coarse to get a hunting license.
And buy tags for what you want to hunt.
All most any bait shop to get a fishing license.
Ranger station to get a fire permit.
Be safe, Have fun.

FatKatMatt fast response.

Rob454
05-02-2007, 3:23 PM
Where do you want to go hunting and for what?
i woudl go up to Mt Shasta. there is BLM land there
you need a Hunter safety course to get a hunting license.
Fishing license at any sporting goods store
Check and see what the fire rules are. in some cases up north they have no fire rule depending on the season. if they do allow fires you can get a fire permit at any ranger station.
Youll need tags and stamps depending on what you plan on hunting
Hunting season doesnt open till sept-oct ( depending on what you hunt and what youre using, bow or rifle)
Rob

Rumpled
05-02-2007, 3:31 PM
For what you want to do; I might suggest some BLM or National Forest area in Northern CA. Look for a campground along/near a lake or river.
If you're a CA resident, your citizenship shouldn't matter. Find a take a Hunster Safety Course and then pay for a license.
Deer tags have a lottery in the beginning of June (6/4/07)
Poke around the DFG website for both hunting and fishing.
But act fast if you want to hunt deer in the Sierras.

Pig is open year round, once you get a license; you then have to buy some tags.

For relatively close to home, do a lot of looking into the Los Padres National Forest.