PDA

View Full Version : AB1789 - Nightvision and Fish and Game Code

Nahuatl
05-02-2007, 9:21 AM
The analysis of AB1789 and the code to go with it are clear as mud.

The analysis would ban the possession of any light amplifier, goggles or scopes, in the field. The actual code is less clear whether it refers to an infrared-emanating device or the light amplifier.

Here's the link. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_1729&sess=CUR&house=B&author=committee_on_water,_parks_and_wildlife

Here's the analysis.
(6) Existing law makes it unlawful to use certain artificial
lights to assist in that taking of specified animals.
This bill would make it unlawful to use or possess at any time for
such a purpose, any night vision equipment or optical devices that
use light amplifying circuits that are electrical or battery powered.

Here's the code.
(c) It is unlawful to use or possess at any time any infrared or
similar light used in connection with an electronic viewing device or
any night vision equipment, optical devices, including, but not
limited to, binoculars or scopes, that use light amplifying circuits
that are electrical or battery powered, to assist in the taking of
birds, mammals, amphibians, or fish.

To add insult to injury - the judge can, under certain provisions, take your vehicle.

(33) Existing law authorizes a judge before whom any person is
tried and convicted of violating provisions relating to property
damage and trespass, and also convicted of violating provisions
relating to unlawful possession of game or unlawful use of artificial
lights to order the forfeiture of any motor vehicle or snowmobile
used in committing one or more of the offenses charged. Existing law
requires that any vehicle so forfeited be sold or destroyed by the
department, and the proceeds paid into the Fish and Game Preservation
Fund.
This bill would revise those provisions to provide for forfeiture
of certain vehicles upon conviction, forfeiture of bail, or specified
pleadings in regard to listed violations.

slick_711
05-02-2007, 9:40 AM
Are there people out there hunting with NVGs? Really? (Can I come?) Actually I could see doing that for coyotes if you're on more of a pest extermination mission than "hunting." But beyond that, it seems kind've silly? But hey, thats no reason to make it illegal.

jaymz
05-02-2007, 9:45 AM
It's already illegal to hunt big game in the dark. You can hunt varmints anytime. This legislation is a complete waste of time and taxpayer $$$.
Business as usual I guess.:mad: :mad:

grammaton76
05-02-2007, 3:07 PM
Looks like they're wording it as if it's only so that if they catch a guy with night vision gear and a rifle, they can now assume he's using it for hunting (don't have to catch him in the act).

However, I believe the intention is to work on escalating this into an intentionally vague law which can be used as a full ban on night vision gear. After all, if you have a night vision scope on a rifle at home, you were probably trying to illegally hunt jackrabbits within the city limits, right?

Surveyor
05-02-2007, 3:30 PM
Lois Wolk is the first author listed. She is a former mayor of Davis and a staunch animal rights activist. She is also a lifelong resident of that commie sh*thole. Do the math, it's a backdoor coyote preservation law. Davis'ites (read: parasites) hate that Woodland'ers and Dixon'ers kill the coyotes that plague their livestock. After all, they shouldn't have livestock to begin with :rolleyes: .

Hunter
05-02-2007, 3:56 PM
Lois Wolk is the first author listed. She is a former mayor of Davis and a staunch animal rights activist. She is also a lifelong resident of that commie sh*thole. Do the math, it's a backdoor coyote preservation law. Davis'ites (read: parasites) hate that Woodland'ers and Dixon'ers kill the coyotes that plague their livestock. After all, they shouldn't have livestock to begin with :rolleyes: .

A littly touchy about Davis are we?:p

Nahuatl
05-03-2007, 6:46 AM
Grammaton gets it. Shooting a rabbit during broad daylight with NV binocs in the truck will now be illegal. Wardens and rangers will write the cite and let the judge sort it out. Meanwhile your guns and gear, possibly even your pickup, are impounded.

zenthemighty
05-03-2007, 8:01 AM
Creeping Incrementalism.

xenophobe
05-03-2007, 8:19 AM
Wow... this is a very bad bill....

Nahuatl
05-03-2007, 8:43 AM
A friend of mine, an ex-Sheriff from SD County is also poring through the amended F&G Code and just messaged me. His analysis is that one dove over the limit can result in a vehicle being confiscated.

The vehicle confiscation provisions deserve some close scrutiny.

Pred@tor
05-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Isnt there a "sniper scope" law that isnt enforced? I saw it on the DOJ website.

GJJ
05-03-2007, 1:09 PM
The JBTs just want your cars, trucks, or vans so they can buy more toys.

The sniper scope law is geared towards the old IR scopes from WWII. NVGs are passive and the current law does not address them. The really stupid thing is that it is easier to hunt coyotes with a flashlight. I have a good Gen III PVS7B and I prefer a physical light.

Out of control government that wants to steal your stuff.

redneckshootist
05-03-2007, 1:33 PM
when I hunt coyotes I use night vision when calling and when they are close enough I use spotlights. I can't stand that lois wolk lady :mad: she makes my blood boil. The only time I hunt coyotes is when my landlord starts to loose chickens(she lives in esparto).