PDA

View Full Version : carry case?

Badmusic
05-07-2012, 6:27 AM
I have a CCW for CA, and I was wondering...
Does putting my handgun in an unlocked plain black plastic unlabeled (gun) case count as concealed?

while sitting on the seat next to me in my car?

while walking through wal mart on a Sunday afternoon?

Old_Bald_Guy
05-07-2012, 6:54 AM
Yeah, I believe it does, but why would you want to carry your gun in a plastic case while walking through Walmart as opposed to carrying it IWB or in your pocket, etc?

fresnofox
05-07-2012, 8:25 AM
The way it was explained to me when I got my CCW if it can be seen it's not concealed.

So as long as the bag covers it I would say legal

Badmusic
05-07-2012, 9:01 AM
Old bald guy... I'm not allowed to wear it at work, but I like to have it close by when i drive to and from...taking my rig on and off is a pain, so, for trips to work, i want to set it on the seat next to me, in the case, and then just pop it in the trunk without the bother of on and off holster, mags and all. just worrying if that presents a problem in the event of an unlikely police stop.

As for wal mart...just a theoretical . I would holster it in wally world. I just want to know if that is still legally considered concealed carry. being in a gun case and all. I know it would be legal in any other non-gun specific bag, purse or concealment.

Fresno fox...your answer was not clear to me....

Librarian
05-07-2012, 10:30 AM
With LTC, you can carry your listed-on-the-license handgun concealed any way you like.

Because you have LTC, having the gun in an UNlocked case is not an issue.

But a quick stop may cause the case to slide off the seat and dump the gun and the case on the floor; that could be inconvenient.

Old_Bald_Guy
05-07-2012, 6:21 PM
Old bald guy... I'm not allowed to wear it at work, but I like to have it close by when i drive to and from...taking my rig on and off is a pain, so, for trips to work, i want to set it on the seat next to me, in the case, and then just pop it in the trunk without the bother of on and off holster, mags and all. just worrying if that presents a problem in the event of an unlikely police stop.

Okay, I get it. I could carry at work legally, but I never will. There's probably a work rule against it, but I never checked into it; the point is moot since I don't ever intend to carry at work anyway. I leave my gun at home when I go to work, so the issue of a box for that specific purpose never crossed my mind.