PDA

View Full Version : Facebook policy

simonov
05-02-2007, 6:20 AM
We have been getting hits on our site from Facebook this week, so I registered there so we could see what it was all about. Apparently, some gun rights group has linked to our story on Matthew Corwin, but once registered I looked around.

Here is Facebook's policy on guns:

Facebook has decided that any pictures of people posing with guns or arsenals in a non-sporting context are inherently threatening to other users and thus a violation of our Terms of Use. As a result, these photos have been removed and will not be restored. Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

http://guntards.net/forum/img/smilies/lol.gif

I suppose, like the government, Facebook assumes that your firearms use is "non-sporting" if no animals are killed.

scootergmc
05-02-2007, 6:43 AM
We have been getting hits on our site from Facebook this week, so I registered there so we could see what it was all about. Apparently, some gun rights group has linked to our story on Matthew Corwin, but once registered I looked around.

Here is Facebook's policy on guns:

http://guntards.net/forum/img/smilies/lol.gif

I suppose, like the government, Facebook assumes that your firearms use is "non-sporting" if no animals are killed.

Who is this facebook and why should we care?

simonov
05-02-2007, 6:56 AM

Facebook is a sort of MySpace for grown-ups. As for why you should care, I dunno, why did you post a response?

CA357
05-02-2007, 7:53 AM
The big clue here is that they linked to us. Hopefully they may see a different side of the firearms debate and form a positive opinion.

megavolt121
05-02-2007, 8:18 AM

Facebook is a networking site that was originally started up for college students only. In its original design, it was wonderful. They also gave everyone a standard profile format so you can't make your profile ultra annoying like myspace. You could look up people in your own school, or friends from other schools. Need to find that person in your class? Facebook him!...

It all started to turn downhill when facebook opened up frist to highschoolers and than finally to the general public though.

Californio
05-02-2007, 8:25 AM
Its a College age site, at least last summer when my college bound teen registered, you had to have an academic email address to register.

threadcrapper
05-02-2007, 8:29 AM
Facebook? Never heard of them and couldn't careless. A college website, ooh goody. They probably have no problem with their members putting down America or Americans fighting in Iraq and posting negative pictures, but someone post a picture of a California legal OLL build is in violation.

ETD1010
05-02-2007, 8:30 AM
Its a College age site, at least last summer when my college bound teen registered, you had to have an academic email address to register.

not anymore. You can now network high schools, and businesses, not just colleges. But I'd take facebook over myspace ANY day. I use it to stay in contact with old friends from school, old co-workds.. and its' not nearly as annoying as myspace.

scootergmc
05-02-2007, 9:39 AM
Facebook is a sort of MySpace for grown-ups. As for why you should care, I dunno, why did you post a response?

Because I want to know why we should care. What's the benefit?

DedEye
05-02-2007, 9:44 AM
I'm on Facebook, and the one picture I posted of me with an OLL is still up (I'm not pointing it at the camera, that probably helps).
I have other pictures of me in uniform with an M16, those haven't been removed either.

Firehawk3
05-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Yea i'm not taking down any pictures i have shooting m16's and m4's during army training

Knight
05-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Though it's a shame that Facebook went public, I still use it for keeping in contact with college and old high school friends. And believe it or not, there is a strong gun community. The only anti-gun group I saw had the message boards flooded with pro-gunners arguing against a handful of genuine anti-gun members. I got into some great debates on that board, and learned a lot about the nuances of gun control statistics there.

leelaw
05-02-2007, 11:32 AM
It looks like today's word of the day is "idiot."

Next one to say it wins a prize: a free vacation from calguns!! OH BOY!! :p

rkt88edmo
05-02-2007, 11:48 AM
I thought linkedin was the myspace for grown-ups?

tlillard23
05-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Their policy may be more related to the way "gangs" are using myspace/facebook etc to "call a hit" and taunting other gangs. It's the new thing, saw it in the news a few days ago. elaborate videos showing gang activities and dead bodies after a shooting. Seemed to be more focused on the Mexican mafia/drug trafficking.

so pictures of you holding a gun, shooting at "normal" stuff or at the range might not be prohibited. Pointing a gun at someone, or at the camera maybe.

pnkssbtz
05-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I thought linkedin was the myspace for grown-ups?

:eek: Hahaha! :p :rolleyes:

(I just looked up what "linkedin" was...)

DSA_FAL
05-02-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm on Facebook too. I have 19 photos with guns on my profile and most of my friends have at least one picture of them with a gun. I haven't yet had any of them taken down (knock on wood) and I intend to keep adding more in the future.

As for what Facebook is, it's basically Myspace but without the riffraff, 12 year olds, pedophiles or crappy layouts.

Most College students have Facebook and most graduates who've graduated in the last couple of years do too.

The SoCal Gunner
05-02-2007, 2:03 PM
Facebook? Never heard of them and couldn't careless. A college website, ooh goody. They probably have no problem with their members putting down America or Americans fighting in Iraq and posting negative pictures, but someone post a picture of a California legal OLL build is in violation.

So my post with my opinion gets trashed yet this one, which my reply was addressed to, is edited and allowed which depicts college students as anti-Americans?

rkt88edmo
05-02-2007, 2:16 PM
So my post with my opinion gets trashed yet this one, which my reply was addressed to, is edited and allowed which depicts college students as anti-Americans?

Well, it was self edited rather than mod edited, which might be one difference. In any case, silly depictions might say more about the poster than the subject. I didn't see the post before it was edited so I can't really say and as a disclaimer haven't done any moderating in this thread

atek3
05-02-2007, 5:36 PM
i was the one that started the Pro-Matt Corwin group:
http://dartmouth.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2333062361

leelaw
05-02-2007, 6:13 PM

Your post escalated to name calling.

You did not quote whatever post you are referring to, however all posts with the name calling (see my post above) were deleted, not edited.

If you feel like the editing in this thread is unjust, please PM me.

grammaton76
05-02-2007, 6:41 PM
Facebook has decided that any pictures of people posing with guns or arsenals in a non-sporting context are inherently threatening to other users and thus a violation of our Terms of Use. As a result, these photos have been removed and will not be restored. Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

This sounds about right for an HR department at a company. Someone needs to call 'em up and let them know their HR department posted rules in the wrong place, that's supposed to be internal to the company, not external! :)

This is probably some kind of stupid Virginia Tech backlash, though - particularly given the college slant of facebook.

ts
05-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Smart move on the companies behalf. Lot less hassle for them. At MySpace police need a warrant to view someones private page or access their personal information.

Any pics of college kids with guns - there going to message Facebook (they don't want to be held morally liable if the kid goes on a rampage) or call the police and then Facebook will have to deal with them ever more.

I can just imagine Bill O'Riely after a college shooting now, "Why would this web site let kids put up pictures of their arsenal and not report it to police?!"