PDA

View Full Version : Quick SS scope question

jkgts1
05-01-2007, 8:14 PM
I just finished mounting my SS scope on my Remington 700, and the bolt handle comes very close to the scope. Its close enought that when I have the bikini covers on the handle will knock it off. I plan on getting the Butler Creek flip ups, but I'm pretty sure it will hit. I have med high rings, but don't feel like wasting more money buying high rigs. I hate to suggest this but would it be okay to shave off some of the metal on the handle to get more clearance?

Thanks

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/jkgts1/ss01.jpg

Fjold
05-01-2007, 8:19 PM
It looks perfect to me. Be careful grinding on the bolt handle because it's just brazed to the body. Also it's easy to screw up the looks.

jkgts1
05-01-2007, 9:48 PM
Well right now it is okay, because I don't have the flip tops on yet. Once I put them on that little bit of clearance I have will be gone. Didn't know that is how the handle is held in place, I'll try to think of something else then. Thanks for the input, anyone else?

joel1316
05-02-2007, 8:25 AM
I had that problem... I shaved my flip up covers to work...

wildcard
05-02-2007, 8:42 AM
It looks like you would have enough clearance even with the flip ups. Only problem will be that the button you'll use to flip up your eyepiece can't be where you have limited space. I like the button there because then it'll flip to where it won't obstruct your view. Matter of preference though.

Prc329
05-02-2007, 10:22 AM
The button is on the left side.

wildcard
05-02-2007, 11:59 AM
The button is on the left side.

If the button is on the left side, then the lens will flip up and obstruct your ability to see the elevation knobs and also the parallax adjustment on the Super Sniper. I Prefer to have the button at about the 6 o'clock position or whatever it takes so that it doesn't obscure my scope controls nor block my view from the left eye. I always see the cover flip upwards on TV.. but don't see any practical reason for it.. though I suppose it makes it look tacti-cool. Do what works for ya though :)

Prc329
05-02-2007, 12:26 PM
I guess we are diffrent type of shooters. I have never had an issue with the rear cover flipping up and obscuring anything. Then again once I get it zeroed I usually use the mil dots to make any windage or elevation adjustments. I have tried to use the cover side ways but it just felt odd to me.

Again, I guess it is just my particular style of shooting and I have yet to shoot my rifle prone.

Rem1492
05-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Make sure to bring the allen wrenches and blue loctite to the range with you, get it all set up and then make sure its on, when it is, lock that sucker down.

then rezero it.

I was sighting in my SS on a 308 and the group was drifting down on every shot........idiots 101, the scope wasnt in the rings tight enough :) I forgot to re loctite it after the initial shots turned out OK.

It would suck to tighten it all at home then have to unscrew it for some reason at the range, so hold off on loctite.

05-02-2007, 10:41 PM
I would shave the lens caps before I even thought about touching the bolt. Second thought, I wouldn't touch the bolt. I would just pony up the cash and buy higher rings and sell the old ones. MHO

05-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Where did you get the rings from? They might let you exchange them for higher rings if you haven't marred them up.

wildcard
05-02-2007, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't adjust the ring height for the sake of lens caps.. the scope should be as close to the bore/ barrel as possible. You should be OK shaving the eyepiece if even necessary.

jkgts1
05-03-2007, 2:57 AM
I'll just try to shave the eye piece first and see how it works. Thanks

Jarhead
05-03-2007, 7:03 PM
I would go with higher mounts before I bubba the bolt

Solidmch
05-05-2007, 7:30 AM
Make sure to bring the allen wrenches and blue loctite to the range with you, get it all set up and then make sure its on, when it is, lock that sucker down.

then rezero it.

I was sighting in my SS on a 308 and the group was drifting down on every shot........idiots 101, the scope wasnt in the rings tight enough :) I forgot to re loctite it after the initial shots turned out OK.

It would suck to tighten it all at home then have to unscrew it for some reason at the range, so hold off on loctite.

Common problem!