PDA

View Full Version : Nunchuck question

the_natterjack
05-05-2012, 8:40 PM
Happened to see a pair of nunchucks being offered for sale at a garage sale today. I quietly advised the seller that I was pretty sure they were illegal unless in a martial arts school. He thanked me, put them back in his garage and then offered to sell me some old switchblades he had in the house. :shock:
I declined his offer.:rolleyes:

So my question, these nunchcuks were pretty old, he purchased them when they were still legal, was he grandfathered in so he could still own them or should he of done something like selling or destroying them when they became illegal?

Brian

compulsivegunbuyer
05-05-2012, 8:52 PM
No grandfather clause on these, and no court system common sense either. Get caught with them, even if you bought them before the ban, you are going to be charged with a felony. I would tell Mr. garage sale to cut the cord, then it's just two sticks. Only in California can two sticks tied together with a string cost you $15,000.

loosewreck
05-05-2012, 9:06 PM
Only in California can two sticks tied together with a string cost you $15,000.

WoooooooooooooooooTF?
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj265/Recluse76/BruceNunchaku.jpg

cdtx2001
05-05-2012, 9:24 PM
Should have bought the switchblades if they were of any quality. Not illegal to possess for collecting, just can't carry them on you.

BigDogatPlay
05-05-2012, 9:33 PM
So my question, these nunchcuks were pretty old, he purchased them when they were still legal, was he grandfathered in so he could still own them or should he of done something like selling or destroying them when they became illegal?

They've been a felony to carry/possess in public since at least the early 1970's, probably longer. There is/was no grandfathering that I am aware of.

Calplinker
05-05-2012, 9:46 PM
My son was at his karate tournament today. There were dozens of nunchukas flying around. Really no different than when he's in class twice a week. They sell them in his dojo and all of us parents have them in our vehicles and at home.

Doesn't make it legal, but you can't deny that they are incredibly common. You can't drive 5 miles without passing a martial arts studio and most of them have dozens of little kids and adults swinging nunchakas every single day.

My neighbor, the CHP officer and I were laughing about it the other day as his kid and mine swung their sticks connected by a rope. Another of the parents is an LA County Deputy and her son is quite good with his!!!

With regards to martial arts classes, there is no exemption, but everyone ignores them.

Having said that, we make sure they are not visible during our drive to and from class and tournaments. We keep them tucked away and out of sight.

cdtx2001
05-05-2012, 10:02 PM
BTW, how many assaults happen on a daily basis with Nunchukas? When was the last time a bank was held up with "a crazy guy waving around a couple sticks"? How many carjackings happen this way?

Kodemonkey
05-05-2012, 10:06 PM
BTW, how many assaults happen on a daily basis with Nunchukas? When was the last time a bank was held up with "a crazy guy waving around a couple sticks"? How many carjackings happen this way?

Seriously. according to what I have seen on youtube, Nunchukas seem to be more of a hazard to the operator than to anyone else.

IntoForever
05-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Seriously. according to what I have seen on youtube, Nunchukas seem to be more of a hazard to the operator than to anyone else.

I've seen a few racked balls in the Dojo from them, tagged my elbow once. Only balls I like racked are at a billiards hall. :D

Quiet
05-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Here are the CA laws regarding "nunchucks".

AFAIK... They were created during the 1970s in response to Chinese gangs using them in the Bay area.

Penal Code 16940
As used in this part, "nunchaku" means an instrument consisting of two or more sticks, clubs, bars, or rods to be used as handles, connected by a rope, cord, wire, or chain, in the design of a weapon used in connection with the practice of a system of self-defense such as karate.

Penal Code 16590
As used in this part, "generally prohibited weapon" means any of the following:
(r) A nunchaku, as prohibited by Section 22010.

Penal Code 22010
Except as provided in Section 22015 and Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any nunchaku is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison.

Penal Code 22015
Section 22010 does not apply to either of the following:
(a) The possession of a nunchaku on the premises of a school that holds a regulatory or business license and teaches the arts of self-defense.
(b) The manufacture of a nunchaku for sale to, or the sale of a nunchaku to, a school that holds a regulatory or business license and teaches the arts of self-defense.

Penal Code 22090
Except as provided in Section 22015 and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any nunchaku is a nuisance and is subject to Section 18010.

Ron-Solo
05-05-2012, 11:56 PM
They were a felony when I got my LE start in 1977. Not sure when thy were outlawed.

They are only legal on the premises of a licensed martial arts school

nizmo559
05-05-2012, 11:59 PM
If nunchucks are illegal, they really ought to look into banning butter knives and forks

http://cdnimg.visualizeus.com/thumbs/c8/a4/bandana,butter,knife,dangerous,gang,knife-c8a4001dee3c102a3a97eafcfae45c61_h.jpg

Kavey
05-06-2012, 2:59 AM
Nunchukas were banned in the late 60's because of a dramatic increase in nunchaku liquor store holdups.

It really didn't do much good because the robbers simply switched to blowguns.

Now, blowguns are banned!

What's next? :rolleyes:

Jason_2111
05-06-2012, 8:46 AM
If nunchucks are illegal, they really ought to look into banning butter knives and forks

http://cdnimg.visualizeus.com/thumbs/c8/a4/bandana,butter,knife,dangerous,gang,knife-c8a4001dee3c102a3a97eafcfae45c61_h.jpg

Wow... that's the last place I'd want to have a knife. Yikes!

the_natterjack
05-06-2012, 9:14 AM
Thank you for your responses. I expected as much.

Here are the CA laws regarding "nunchucks".

AFAIK... They were created during the 1970s in response to Chinese gangs using them in the Bay area.

Darn ethnic minorities, what we really need is a way to disarm them yet still allow us white people arms. Hmmmmm, how could we do this . . . . . . . Oh, wait we already did.

Lives_In_Fresno
05-06-2012, 9:51 AM
My son was at his karate tournament today. There were dozens of nunchukas flying around. Really no different than when he's in class twice a week. They sell them in his dojo and all of us parents have them in our vehicles and at home.

Doesn't make it legal, but you can't deny that they are incredibly common. You can't drive 5 miles without passing a martial arts studio and most of them have dozens of little kids and adults swinging nunchakas every single day.

My neighbor, the CHP officer and I were laughing about it the other day as his kid and mine swung their sticks connected by a rope. Another of the parents is an LA County Deputy and her son is quite good with his!!!

With regards to martial arts classes, there is no exemption, but everyone ignores them.

Having said that, we make sure they are not visible during our drive to and from class and tournaments. We keep them tucked away and out of sight.

Actually, I believe it is legal for a martial arts school to have them.

Quiet
05-06-2012, 1:06 PM

Actually, I believe it is legal for a martial arts school to have them.

They are only legal on the premises of a licensed martial arts school

Penal Code 22015
Section 22010 does not apply to either of the following:
(a) The possession of a nunchaku on the premises of a school that holds a regulatory or business license and teaches the arts of self-defense.
(b) The manufacture of a nunchaku for sale to, or the sale of a nunchaku to, a school that holds a regulatory or business license and teaches the arts of self-defense.

DVLDOC
05-06-2012, 1:10 PM
So, if you took classes in martial arts a few years ago. Do you have to throw away your nunchuks if you are not actively going to martial arts school now?

Quiet
05-06-2012, 1:17 PM
So, if you took classes in martial arts a few years ago. Do you have to throw away your nunchuks if you are not actively going to martial arts school now?

Technically, they never should have left the property of the martial arts school.

Besides that, if you are no longer attending, you should not be possessing them. Similar to how former LEOs and security guards have to get rid of their batons once they are no longer LEOs or licensed security guards with a baton card.

The Original Godfather
05-06-2012, 1:28 PM

I've seen a few racked balls in the Dojo from them, tagged my elbow once. Only balls I like racked are at a billiards hall. :D

This thread wouldn't be complete without this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoLDv2p_fpA

holyhandgrenade
05-06-2012, 1:46 PM
That video makes me so happy. I die every time I watch it, every single time.

And yeah, gotta love this state:
Two sticks tied together?- Felony
Rock tied to a string?-Felony
Just a plain stick?-Felony
Hollow tube?-Felony

Glad they have their priorities in order. Whatever would we do with out them keeping us safe? :rolleyes:

Meplat
05-06-2012, 2:20 PM
And yeah, gotta love this state:
Two sticks tied together?- Felony
Rock tied to a string?-Felony
Just a plain stick?-Felony
Hollow tube?-Felony

Glad they have their priorities in order. Whatever would we do with out them keeping us safe? :rolleyes:

The object is to make everything a felony. Then you ignore it all until you want to drop the hammer on someone. Selective informant; itís flawless!

viet4lifeOC
05-06-2012, 3:43 PM
How about foam padded nunchucks?

I am using them in the home to teach my son.

Thanks

Librarian
05-06-2012, 5:42 PM

Thanks

PC 16940 As used in this part, "nunchaku" means an instrument
consisting of two or more sticks, clubs, bars, or rods to be used as
handles, connected by a rope, cord, wire, or chain, in the design of
a weapon used in connection with the practice of a system of
self-defense such as karate.
Padding doesn't change the essential character (but if there were no core inside the padding, probably would be OK - no stick, club, bar or rod).

My sensei told me that when he was learning, he wore his motorcycle helmet ...

Ron-Solo
05-06-2012, 5:43 PM

Thanks

By the letter of the law, they are illegal unless you are licensed to teach martial arts out of your home.

repubconserv
05-06-2012, 5:50 PM

FWIW that looks more like a steak knife.... meaning butter knifes are still okay

but as a previous poster said, that is the last place you would want to carry a knife designed to cut meat....

GNE
05-06-2012, 6:53 PM
Does foam padding make them no longer "in the design of a weapon"?

Librarian
05-06-2012, 6:56 PM
Does foam padding make them no longer "in the design of a weapon"?

Nope. The design is 'two sticks connected by something flexible'.

Steyr_223
05-06-2012, 8:03 PM
Ironic..Swords are legal in Cali but not Chucks . Wonder what the Okinawans would have thought of our silly laws..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunchaku

Peasant farmers of Okinawa were forbidden conventional weaponry such as arrows or blades so they are said to have improvised using only what they had available, such as farm tools. This gave rise to the theory that nunchaku were originally developed from an Okinawan horse bit (muge), or that nunchaku were adapted from a wooden clapper called hyoshiki[5] carried by the village night watch; made of two blocks of wood joined by cord, the night watch would hit the blocks of wood together to attract people's attention and then warn them about fires and other dangers.[6] It is possible that nunchaku were developed in response to the moratorium on edged weaponry under the Satsuma daimyo after invading Okinawa in the 17th century, and that the nunchaku was conceived and used exclusively for that end, as the configuration of actual farm tools and implements are unwieldy for use as nunchaku.

Steyr_223
05-06-2012, 8:08 PM
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/totalnunchaku/?e

The Petition

One of only 3 states where the Nunchaku is illegal, California's legal stance on the most popular martial arts weapon is very out-dated. It is a misdemeanor to carry a concealed gun but a felony to possess nunchaku. Help us overcome this ridiculous unbalance.

L-jfcDU0tbk

GNE
05-06-2012, 8:33 PM
Nope. The design is 'two sticks connected by something flexible'.

As used in this part, "nunchaku" means an instrument consisting of two or more sticks, clubs, bars, or rods to be used as handles, connected by a rope, cord, wire, or chain, in the design of a weapon used in connection with the practice of a system of self-defense such as karate.
Reads to me as: A "nunchuku" is 2 or more sticks connected by a flexible thing in the design of a weapon. If it lacks 2 or more sticks, or doesn't have a flexible thing, or isn't in the design of a weapon, it isn't a nunchuku. From that, does foam padding not defeat the "weaponized" criteria since it'd be explicitly designed to make it less harmful? I'm not saying I'd want to be the test case by waving around a pair of foam padded sticks tied together with a shoelace in front of my local police station, but can you tell me where I'm reading that wrong?

But yeah, I guess the California government would also love to outlaw traditional Chinese instruments consisting of 2 pieces of wood tied together (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paiban) as "dangerous weapons" given its historic anti-Chinese sentiments.

Librarian
05-06-2012, 9:37 PM
Reads to me as: A "nunchuku" is 2 or more sticks connected by a flexible thing in the design of a weapon. If it lacks 2 or more sticks, or doesn't have a flexible thing, or isn't in the design of a weapon, it isn't a nunchuku. From that, does foam padding not defeat the "weaponized" criteria since it'd be explicitly designed to make it less harmful? I'm not saying I'd want to be the test case by waving around a pair of foam padded sticks tied together with a shoelace in front of my local police station, but can you tell me where I'm reading that wrong?

But yeah, I guess the California government would also love to outlaw traditional Chinese instruments consisting of 2 pieces of wood tied together (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paiban) as "dangerous weapons" given its historic anti-Chinese sentiments.

A toy gun is 'in the design' of a real gun. That it is not an effective version still doesn't mean it isn't 'in the design'. (one example - www.freerepublic.com/focus/bloggers/2459733/posts)

Nunchaku being so simple, anything solid connected flexibly to another solid thing, so it could be swung, is 'in the design'.

As I already noted, padding without a core should be fine.

huntercf
05-06-2012, 9:47 PM
Penal Code 16940

I think that says it all, if it is for self-defense then it needs to be banned.:banghead:

mud99
05-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Hypothetically, someone could buy these on amazon prime, and they would arrive on Tuesday with free shipping.

I'm just pointing it out :)

adrenaline
05-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Just say that they are your chopsticks....and that you are a big eater! :D

l_LjHny8TY4

Quiet
05-06-2012, 11:48 PM
I think that says it all, if it is for self-defense then it needs to be banned.:banghead:

Whereas, in NV, nunchaku are legal as long as you do not use them on people. [NRS 202.350]
So... legal to own/possess, illegal to use them on people.
I guess they are just for show in NV. :p

Also, AZ seems to not like nunchaku as well. [ARS 13-3101 A.8.(a)(V)]
AZ seems to be like CA. Not legal to possess, unless for martial arts/demonstration purposes only. [ARS 13-3102 A.3 & G.]

Nevada Revised Statue 202.350
1. Except as otherwise provided in this section and NRS 202.355 and 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, a person within this State shall not:
(c) With the intent to inflict harm upon the person of another, possess or use a nunchaku or trefoil;
8. As used in this section:
(d) “Nunchaku” means an instrument consisting of two or more sticks, clubs, bars or rods connected by a rope, cord, wire or chain used as a weapon in forms of Oriental combat.

Arizona Revised Statue 13-3101
A. In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
8. "Prohibited weapon":
(a) Includes the following:
(v) An instrument, including a nunchaku, that consists of two or more sticks, clubs, bars or rods to be used as handles, connected by a rope, cord, wire or chain, in the design of a weapon used in connection with the practice of a system of self-defense.

Arizona Revised Statue 13-3102
A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:
3. Manufacturing, possessing, transporting, selling or transferring a prohibited weapon,...
G. Subsection A, paragraph 3 of this section shall not apply to a weapon described in section 13-3101, subsection A, paragraph 8, subdivision (a), item (v), if such weapon is possessed for the purposes of preparing for, conducting or participating in lawful exhibitions, demonstrations, contests or athletic events involving the use of such weapon.

press1280
05-07-2012, 2:33 AM
Let's not forget about the NYC ban on chucks in the home for self defense that was remanded back to the 2nd Circuit in light of McDonald.

http://ia600503.us.archive.org/2/items/gov.uscourts.nyed.14974/gov.uscourts.nyed.14974.docket.html

Someone will have to explain what exactly is going on in this case.

Trakker
05-07-2012, 6:17 AM
they sell them on, the streets in chinatown

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Steyr_223
05-07-2012, 6:37 AM
Ah there are Martial Arts supply stores in the bay area that still sell them..Checkout the one on Mission in Hayward..As of a few years ago they had them for sale..

viet4lifeOC
05-07-2012, 9:58 AM
Thanks for the info Ron Solo and Librarian.

This is just plain arse stupid. I learned to use the nunchucks when I was a kid by taking two pieces of a broom stick and and tying them to a cord. To this day, I am very good with them. Wanted to teach my son the nunchucks to improve his eye-hand coordination. He loves it. He'll pick them up and start practicing on them during his Xbox breaks.

Would love to see the law makers scramble if and when someone takes issue with this law as being "racist."

final question: Is possess of foam padded nunchucks illegal? My son only uses them to practice inside our home.

SPaikmos
05-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Ah there are Martial Arts supply stores in the bay area that still sell them..Checkout the one on Mission in Hayward..As of a few years ago they had them for sale..

In the eyes of the CA PC, the post above seems equivalent to saying "there's a store selling dope down the street, go buy them there".

I remember 10 years ago almost all mail order places absolutely refused to ship nunchaku to CA. Many of them have relaxed their restrictions since.

I am not positive about foam chucks, but the ones that refuse to send chucks here also refuse to send foam ones too. All the foam ones I've seen use plastic cores; I haven't seen 100% foam ones.

Seeing how people on this board are way more relaxed about nunchakus than they are about mag magnets or other potential felonies, it seems that the attitude around nunchaku have evolved since the 70s. My personal hope (given that this law doesn't get repealed) is that eventually, this law will become one of those "dumb laws" you read about that is just on the books but is never really enforced. Like no selling alcohol on Sundays.

turbomkt
05-07-2012, 10:21 AM
So what about trying to get the law changed? I have written my representatives. Got a form back for suggesting legislation. I am looking at submitting this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_nA2LPOhaxzUHFPBGLPAEWSzUhR5YJ47kKfxlZ0mK28/edit

Would love comments...and more people to do the same!

Sheepdog1968
05-07-2012, 12:17 PM
I grew up in CA and then moved out of state for a number of years. Eventually work took me back to CA. Before I came back, I went through my belongings just to make sure I didn't have something I had bought as a teenager 25+ years ago cause me grief as an adult. I'm not saying I did or didn't have anything. Just that I checked. I suspect many others should probably check as well.

Ron-Solo
05-07-2012, 1:00 PM
No one ever said CA laws made sense...........

The only time I ever arrested for it was when the guy was being a knucklehead.

Nodaedul
05-08-2012, 1:12 AM
Just a random tid bit from my experience. A pair of my Nunchuku were taken along with a bunch of other weapons by the police after an arrest. Charges were dropped and the police returned all my property including the nunchuku.

Munk
05-08-2012, 1:53 AM

Due to the wording of the various "Knife Crime" laws in the UK, you need to be 18 or older to buy a butterknife... because it's still a knife.

ar15robert
05-08-2012, 10:07 PM
I remember my uncle had som in the early 80s i would mess around with them i think i hit just about everything in the garage.LOL

I got pulled over on my motorcylce in costa mesa years ago by m/c cop.He was cool gave us a warnig and chatted for a few i noticed he had nunchucks vs a baton.My buddy and started askin why chucks over a baton he said he was trained in their use and they had an advantage he demonstrated the swing and how he would use them.He also showed me how when he has a suspect how he can use them to control them before cuffing.I got to be the demo guy(no i wasnt in trouble) it only took a little bit of pressure from one hand to feel how strong and useful they can be.

Didnt realize any of this til then.