PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Funds

thomye
05-01-2007, 6:12 PM
I have an idea:

If I setup a fund with a bank, managed by a law firm and accounting firm and possibly the NRA, would anyone commit a steady monthly donation to it? Here's my thought, if 50% of the members of this forum setup an auto tranfer of $5 or $10 a month, in my case, I'll put up $50/mth (it's worth it). Would you do it? We could potentially raise upwards of $2K streaming monthly.

The whole purpose of the fund will be to setup for the big fight. The WAR winning battle. If someone in the near future got pulled over and knew without a doudt that he was legal in every way and was willing to fight the long fight, he can get representation using that fund. We can continue to fund it and possibly get exposure major media exposure. A committee would be setup which would include senior members like bwiese and others who were interested to vote on the battles. This committee is important because based on facts, we would have to approve funding. It has to be the winning cases to set presedense.

My question: Would you do it?

Commercial sponsors: Would you do it?

bwiese
05-01-2007, 7:12 PM
Let's not go off half-cocked.

If it's not done right, the friendly folks at IRS get involved.

And donating to a 'charitable' or 'educational' fund who gives out monies for specific targeted purposes (legal defense) has a very bad smell, tax-wise.

thomye
05-01-2007, 8:51 PM
i understand that but i'm certain the NRA could set up a chapter or something specific for us CA folks. i give them $$$ for similar purposes at a federal level. i'm just proposing we set something up that we can target for the purpose of helping our fellow OLL'ees.

Regardless, the first step is find out how many actually would. I find it somewhat discouraging that 83 people looked at the post and only 17 people voted. Which makes me think that outside of a few of us, no one really cares or gives a crap.

good to know i guess.

scewper
05-01-2007, 9:10 PM
Regardless, the first step is find out how many actually would. I find it somewhat discouraging that 83 people looked at the post and only 17 people voted. Which makes me think that outside of a few of us, no one really cares or gives a crap.

Keep in mind many people viewing this website are not registered and cannot vote.

WokMaster1
05-01-2007, 9:25 PM
In theory & principle, I am with you 100%. Logistically, it's going to be a maze of legal & financial wrangling. In order to keep the IRS away, you'll have to set up a non profit organization and I understand that it's not as simple as DROSing a firearm.:D

My recommendation is to talk to an accountant (CPA) & lawyer first. Then take it from there.

spgk380
05-02-2007, 7:50 AM
Let's not go off half-cocked.

If it's not done right, the friendly folks at IRS get involved.

And donating to a 'charitable' or 'educational' fund who gives out monies for specific targeted purposes (legal defense) has a very bad smell, tax-wise.

Which is EXACTLY why JALLEN was willing to look into the legal matters and set this up for us. Personally, I would do this and I think its a good idea. Don't let these technicalities stand in the way, there are lawyers on this forum who have offered to do this for us before.

grammaton76
05-02-2007, 1:33 PM
And also don't forget, some of us have seen more or less this exact same idea time and again, and are only popping in to check and make sure no one's flaming each other.

tmuller
05-02-2007, 2:24 PM
the amount would have to be of my choosing...and unfortunately not a lot but I would fund it even if it's not tax deductible. BTW...I hate to do this as I don't spell wonderful either but I'm married to an English teacher...ledgit is not a word...unless maybe we're talking about slang for placing an item on a ledge??? Sorry!!

thomye
05-02-2007, 2:36 PM
Keep in mind many people viewing this website are not registered and cannot vote.

good point. didn't think about that.
thanks

JALLEN
05-02-2007, 4:27 PM
When I proposed setting up something like this several months ago, the reaction was decidedly lukewarm. The devil of these things is always in the details, it seems.

Assuming you could get an organization that would get past tax considerations, how would the money be held? Who would have spending authority? Which cases would we support? Which ones would we not? What about "expenses"?

Some of the answers seem fairly obvious, but life has a way or getting us involved in gray areas instead of either black or white.

Another factor is that it takes a hell of a lot of money to have a real impact. Most contributors are talking in terms of $100 or less, few in terms of $500 or more. While these contributors' hearts are in the right place, it takes many tens of thousands of dollars to get the job done right. There are foundations on our side that have many millions of dollars of funding. Not to belittle it, but a fund of $50,000-$100,000 isn't going to accomplish much in the "big leagues", where the DA's and DOJ spend more than that on paper cups for the water coolers.

I have no direct experience in major criminal cases, but my guess is that one of these cases like our pal BWO is facing is going to run more than $50,000 by the time it's done. Unfortunately, these cases eat up a lot of time; each one is unique in many important critical ways. Remember, OJ spent $7 million to show that the LA DA's office couldn't hit big league pitching! You need the resources to win, and win big, a few times so the DA's will know that some folks can play "Remember the Alamo!" over this. You remember the Alamo, don't you??? "Victory or Death!" IMO, they count on little people having to fold, to take what's offered, instead of making them prove their cases, and when someone with the resources and talent does call the bluff, they can't deliver. It's no fun as a lawyer to go down to the courthouse every day worrying that you are going to be made to look stupid or foolish; don't ask how I know.

Anyway, it's a good idea, and we need to keep tweaking it to get it to the point of being worthwhile. Like Bill says, these small incremental improvements amount to something eventually.