PDA

View Full Version : Question about CA compliant pistol

SpceSpff
05-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Sorry if this information is somewhere already. This forum is so active that there is a lot of information to sift through. I was able to find the information about a gun, but now I need "advice" on law info.

I am on active duty in the Coast Guard. I am a California resident; I always have been. While stationed in Alaska in 2002, I bought a Sig P220 ST from a gun store. I got stationed back in California in 2004. I brought the gun with me. I did not initially register it in California. I did not know anything about having to register handguns. While doing a background for a job last year, a question was raised about "unregistered" handguns. I got spooked and immediately sent $19 to the DOJ to "register" my handgun. While researching buying a new 1911, I learned about magazine disconnects and loaded chamber indicators. My P220 does not have these.

SO- gun store employee told me I am OK having this non-CA compliant pistol because of XYZ, yadda yadda. Of course, I am looking to get a second opinion. I know nothing here is offical "legal advice", but I also know this site has an excellent reputation for knowing the laws.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

REH
05-05-2012, 12:05 PM
I belive the magazine disconnects and loaded chamber indicators, became mandatory Jan 2007, for any newly designed handguns. This is California only.

sandman21
05-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Handguns moved into the state by new residents are not affected by the Roster. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/The_Safe_Handgun_List)

Sporty!!!!

aklover_91
05-05-2012, 12:09 PM
You're good to go.

The Roster requirements only apply to guns sold by Dealers.

SpceSpff
05-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Knew I could count on this website for solid info. But I should have known better to contact my genius friend saint sandman first....

Thanks for the help and piece of mind! Now, who knows why my slide won't lock to the rear on an empty magazine haha!