PDA

View Full Version : possible negative piece with LAPD helping....?

jdoane9724
05-05-2012, 9:47 AM
All,

KCAL 9 and CBS ch 2 are broadcasting a piece entitled, "LAPD Gun Locker". In the promo, there's the usual pan of all weapons in storage, and a slow pan across one varient or another of what appears to be an AK-47, with a voiceover in mid-sentence, saying, "....and it becomes an assault weapon....". This is scheduled to broadcast Monday the seventh at/about 9:00 P.M. Promo was seen on KCAL Ch 9 ONLY, and this morning.

Don't recognise the reporter Charlie Beck is leading by the nose; but he has her undivided attention.

Depending upon the piece, how nice it would be if an equally petite female enthusiast could arrange to have range time with her to show the OTHER side of the coin. IF such a thing were arranged, there couldn't be any heavi-handedness; kid gloves would be a nice touch, plus whomever falls on her sword should also be able to think on her feet to address all things that might come up.....

Not sure if it's worthy of attention; just some blatherings on Saturday morning.

Not certain if this is several segments, one bit only, an hour long....?

Is it even worth pursuing?

John

SilverTauron
05-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Yup.

All you would need is your own TV station & media conglomerate.

Paul S
05-05-2012, 10:12 AM
April May Ratings Sweeps folks...nothing new here...sensationalism at its finest...look at the hatchet job..including at least one likely illegality from the CBS TV Affiliate in San Francisco. :mad:

monk
05-05-2012, 12:44 PM
April May Ratings Sweeps folks...nothing new here...sensationalism at its finest...look at the hatchet job..including at least one likely illegality from the CBS TV Affiliate in San Francisco. :mad:

TBH I'm more concerned if there are more pieces like this. Something tells me that if people see a lot of stories about illegal firearms they'll think that it's time to push for even more laws that only restrict legal owners.

kcbrown
05-05-2012, 3:29 PM
TBH I'm more concerned if there are more pieces like this. Something tells me that if people see a lot of stories about illegal firearms they'll think that it's time to push for even more laws that only restrict legal owners.

I believe that is the goal of the media, and is exactly what they will do.

jdoane9724
05-05-2012, 3:42 PM

Which is exactly why I posted about this. More pieces have come out (or been re-broadcast) that shed gun owners and guns in a poor, if not bad, light.

Also, the idea was to have her bring her OWN camera guys out to see "the other side of the tracks". It could be recorded by attendees as well, but only for reference ("We NEVER said THAT!!!") to prove what transpired. The objection about needing studios, equipment, etc., is handled with that.

These are things WE as rank and file can do that may help the RKBA and LTC endeavors here in California.

However, if the assorted attourneys involved with said causes disagree, I will drop the subject.

SilverTauron
05-05-2012, 6:03 PM
On which TV station would the counterpoint be aired?

It won't be the same ones airing the disarament lobbys agenda,that's for sure.
Assuming you found a station that took your phone call,they'd simply cut and splice the tapes to make the 'counterpoint' fit the perception of gun owners as reckless fools.

To ensure the unedited truth made it to the airwaves,you'd need a fat 8 figure account balance and a handful of government licenses for operating a TV station.

curtisfong
05-05-2012, 10:52 PM
I know for a FACT that KCAL9/CBS2 do whatever CLEO (Beck, Baca) tells them to do. No more, no less.

jdberger
05-06-2012, 10:44 AM
I think that this has to do with the lapd gun locker that was burglarized last year. They lost a bunch of guns fitted for simunitions. Iirc, those can be converted back to firing real ammo. Some may have even beem mgs.

MossbergMan
05-06-2012, 1:00 PM
What's even sicker is the media's frenzy over some secret service clowns patronizing call-girls (nobody it hurt) while Eric (the crook)Holder gets a pass for fast and furious program that resulted in at least two federal agents killed and god knows how many mexican nationals.

LHC30
05-07-2012, 8:14 AM
well, you could call Chris Blatchford at Fox News - 310 584 2056 or Pete Demetriou at KNX 1017 at 323 900 2070 and see if either are interested...

jdoane9724
05-07-2012, 10:22 AM
SO, let's back up and watch the piece (it airs tonight at 9:00PM), THEN:

1.) If the piece turns into a hit piece on gun owners/gun ownership/RKBA/2A; AND

2.) If the more experienced legal types think it appropriate and helpful: AND

3.) if there's a willing individual (prefer female?) very knowledgable who can think on their feet, and NOT be intimidating;

Why not contact that reporter and invite her and her news crew to a range for another view of gun ownership/gun owners/RKBA/2A?

While all the above noted arguments are good and appreciated, the intended goal/question was better stated in this post rather than my first one at the top of this thread.

Let's watch the video and meet later to see if something can (or SHOULD) be done, ok?

Glock22Fan
05-07-2012, 11:10 AM
JDoane,

I think you are missing the point. It really isn't a question of how open minded the reporter is, it is a question of whether her bosses will authorize resources for what you have in mind. The chances are very unlikely that they would even think about it, and (if they did) it would be with a view to turning and twisting whatever reportage she collected into another anti-gun piece.

The only safe way to do this is to have a contractual right to have complete editorial control of their output. Good luck with that.

jwkincal
05-07-2012, 11:13 AM
well, you could call Chris Blatchford at Fox News - 310 584 2056 or Pete Demetriou at KNX 1017 at 323 900 2070 and see if either are interested...

Its actually KNX 1070 and that station has definitely done objective reporting on firearms issues in the past. Too bad they have just a fraction of the penetration of their parent television affiliate.

LHC30
05-07-2012, 2:36 PM
OOPS, fat fingered the radio freq,,,,thanks. Both Pete and Chris are good reporters as far as objectivity goes,

jdoane9724
05-07-2012, 9:11 PM
I had hoped some kind of idea flow could have been started with the goal of getting a pro-gun message out there for free.

I had hoped we might be able to, if not convert a possible anti-gun reporter to neutral or pro-gun, to maybe knock a few cracks in the armour.

I had hoped we could generate some positive PR so that once all the court battles get settled in our favor, there would be fewer shrieks in public places of, "He HAS A GUN!!!!", creating a panic for no other reason than someone's "concealed" part of CCW failed.

I know there would have been "creative editing", thus the idea of someone well prepared to handle potential surprises......

Thanks for all the suggestion.