View Full Version : BGOS - Need Help.

05-04-2012, 9:16 PM
Alright, I've got a bad case of Battered Gun Owner Syndrome. Need some pick-me-ups...

So I get the e-mails from NRA-ILA about the "bad" legislation moving through various committees (up through the assembly floor) regarding e-mailing AND calling our legislators to voice a "No" vote on the various bills coming through.

I do this (AND contribute to CGF), but man, I'm feeling like these things aren't doing any good. Generalizing, if a "D" is on the committee, guns are bad. And if an "R" is there, I get a "I agree with you" response.

But there are way more "D"s than "R"s in committees, so these "anti" bills progress, and the "pro" bills never get out of committee.

Other than the ballot box, do we have any hope? I know we're winning on the judicial side, but these are always 5+ years down the road.

Other than converting the fence-sitters (which I've done on more than one occasion), is the quickest way of "fixing things" through litigation? I'm not sure we can "ballot box" change in less than 10 years - is litigation the only hope?

And if so, does that mean the "e-mail AND call your reps" are pretty much useless at this point?

Please give me hope...

05-04-2012, 9:28 PM
The whole gun issue is steadily moving from a platform that liberal politicians use to grab the urban vote to a discussion of civil rights and self defense.

Pretty soon politicians will have to rely on merit rather than an opinion poll on gun rights.

What that means is politicians who just won't touch the subject because they will lose more by alienating gun owners than they would gain by supporting anti-gun policies or legislation.

So keep it up because if politicians think they can take away your rights and still keep your vote, guess what will happen to your rights.

05-04-2012, 10:38 PM
I think that as self-defense becomes more legitimate in the eyes of the general public that gun control will come under more scrutiny from more types of people. Currently in many people's worldviews, [Gun Control = Reducing Crime]. Heller V DC solidified self-defense with a gun as a civil right. As we pro-rights people expound the values of self-defense and gun rights as civil rights, the narrative is going to change. People who don't thinka bout constitutional rights and non-gunnies will start to think about self-defense because the national discourse will have this language in it.

People who write/say negative things about self-defense with a gun are already facing heat. These truly illegitimate mindsets are starting to be rejected. Look at this op-ed (http://www.seattleweekly.com/2012-05-02/news/washington-bullets/) and this CBS 5 evening news bit (http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/05/01/bullet-button-used-to-get-around-california-gun-laws/#disqus_thread). I didn't count a more than a few anti-gun comments on their facebook page or their website regarding this fluffy fear-bait. Mind you, CBS 5 is local to San Fransisco.

It is all about hearts and minds at this point. We will win strategic battles in litigation to cripple critical anti-gunner attacks, but the largest responsibility is shouldered by each and every one of us who cares about civil/constitutional/human rights. WE are going to be effectual in changing the narrative. I'd make a wager that within 10 years, [Gun Control = Reducing Crime] will fade from legitimacy.

Force is legitimate and justified when it used to defend innocent life. We all know this when it comes to cops, but for some reason many people's brains just short circuit when they think about "regular" people using the same force. This is what I'm talking about when I refer to "the narrative of gun control" and how we are changing it. Honestly, the plight of disenfranchised minorities will begin to improve as well when [self-defense as a civil right] becomes an American cultural value. For so long they've been told that guns are bad and using force is always bad. It's only been 58 years since Segregation was struck down. Many of the gun laws from pre Brown V. Board of Education era are still on the books today. Is it any wonder that many minorities have remained impoverished and are anti-gun? The same anti-gun laws which communicated to minorities that the 2nd amendment was a white man's right, are still enforced today in California and new gun laws are pushed on minorities with the message "it's for your own good".

Keep on taking newbies to the range and talking about civil rights. For now, we just need to limit the damage that the CA legislature can do. We will begin to win on gun things but maybe not for some time. I have no idea when.

05-05-2012, 6:45 AM
The acceptance of "self-defense" as a right, and the associated acceptance of firearms to excerise that right, will continue to rise here in CA becuse of the massive amount of crimals being release from prisons, the shifting of prisoners to all ready full county jails, and the catch and release policy. The really sad thing is the number of people that will lose life, health, and property as more crimals flood the streets because our government has abdicated its resonsibility to protect its citizens.