PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a consolidated timeline of CA gun laws

Stonewalker
05-04-2012, 8:11 PM
I found this site (http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/LegalCaliforniaTimeline), which our friend Librarian apparently helped create (I swear, certain people keep on popping up in my research of CA gun laws). But I see there is some incomplete info there. Is there anything that is more complete out there?

Thanks for your help.

Librarian
05-04-2012, 8:51 PM
The OTHER wiki. See specifically -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Time_Line_of_California_Firearms_Laws

Stonewalker
05-04-2012, 9:05 PM
Whoops, I should have let on that I also saw the CGF wiki. Here is a better question - were there no CA gun laws before 1924? I'm trying to figure out the context of all of CA's existant gun laws today. I want to provide some context for my friends who don't understand that our current CCW scheme was passed at a time when the general public wouldn't think twice about passing laws to oppress "the yellow evil". Just looking for a complete story for any other CA gun laws that were passed at that time.

ClarenceBoddicker
05-04-2012, 11:15 PM
What about when NFA stuff like: suppressors, AOW, SBS, SBR & machine guns were required to have a DOJ permit to own? When did suppressors get banned? I'm asking about for normal citizens, not LE or the military. There has to be some record of the changes. When were non shotgun shell tracers banned? What about when "poison bullets" were banned, like the cyanide filled bullets that the SLA used in their hits?

Quiet
05-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Whoops, I should have let on that I also saw the CGF wiki. Here is a better question - were there no CA gun laws before 1924? I'm trying to figure out the context of all of CA's existant gun laws today. I want to provide some context for my friends who don't understand that our current CCW scheme was passed at a time when the general public wouldn't think twice about passing laws to oppress "the yellow evil". Just looking for a complete story for any other CA gun laws that were passed at that time.

No uniform state laws prior to the mid-1920s.
But, prior to the mid-1920s, some counties/cities had local gun control laws.

CA's conceal carry laws were passed to keep certain ethic groups (primarily hispanics/latinos) from being able to conceal carry for protection.
Over the course of time, it morphed into only allowing the "right people" (ethnicity/social class/economic class/cronyism) the ability to legally conceal carry.

In regards to firearms laws for "the yellow evil" (I'm guessing that's a term for asians)...
Per Federal laws/regulations of the time, had to be a US citizen to legally acquire a firearm and, prior to the mid-1950s, asians were barred from becoming US citizens via naturalization. So, prior to the mid-1950s, asians not born in the US could not legally own firearms throughout the USA.

Librarian
05-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Ah. See also Clayton Cramer's articles at http://www.claytoncramer.com/scholarly/journals.htm 'Racist Roots of Gun Control' might help.

Quiet
05-06-2012, 8:48 AM
What about when NFA stuff like: suppressors, AOW, SBS, SBR & machine guns were required to have a DOJ permit to own? When did suppressors get banned? I'm asking about for normal citizens, not LE or the military.

A person does not need a CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit to legally own/possess/import/manufacture an AOW (except for pen guns) in CA.

AFAIK...
Any Other Weapon = 1973 (exempt from CA SBR/SBS laws)
Destructive Device = 1970 (ban) / 1972 (DOJ permit)
Machine Gun = 1971 (DOJ permit)
Noise Suppressor = 1976 (ban)
Short Barrel Rifle / Short Barrel Shotgun = 1973 (ban) / 1988 (DOJ permit)