PDA

View Full Version : time to boot out an anti-gun city council member (Sacramento)

mag360
05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Just to wet your appetites, let me introduce Kevin McCarty to you. Kevin McCarty is anti gun pretty much everything from what I can tell.

He loves the brady campaign. He loves mail order ammo bans. He loves making you register your ammo and give a fingerprint to buy it. Here is something he wrote in regards to guns (at the local level it can be hard to find). http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/prevent-gun-violence.html and the brady link (they like what he does) http://blog.bradycampaign.org/?p=526 .

McCarty probably loves the handgun roster, assault weapon bans, carry bans, and who knows what else.

McCarty will be running for state assembly in 2014. This guy would be the next Nancy Skinner/Tom Ammiano/Steinberg/Ted Lieu.

There is going to be more to come, this is just an initial post to keep people engaged. I'm meeting with some people regarding this very soon. I can't really say more. The challenger Mitch Netto has some good people backing him so far, and I know that he is not anti-gun. Right now he is talking about support for streamlining permitting processes in the city.

Here is a recent Bee article regarding the district 6 race.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/04/4464915/hed-here.html

Ultimately we could end up using any and all volunteers from this site for the election effort. (if you are on mobile, you can't see the poll so check back later on your pc)

Thanks guys, not sure if I can do a big Oaklander style BBQ but lets keep that as an option shall we!!!

edit: The challenger Mitch Netto http://netto2012.com/

Dirk Tungsten
05-04-2012, 2:52 PM
You know, I'm not sure if Netto's the right guy, but I'd love to see McCarty gone. I remember getting his explicitly anti-gun flyers in the mail during the last election go-around, and I won't say I'd miss his anti-gun stance. Good luck to you.

Dreaded Claymore
05-04-2012, 6:46 PM
I only moved to Sacramento in January. I don't want city councilmembers to be working with the Brady Campaign, so I guess I want to vote this fellow out. Thanks for the heads-up! :notworthy:

mag360
05-04-2012, 7:01 PM
He's likely more of an LCAV guy just by looking at what he has supported. "BS ordinances" seem to be LCAV's favorite thing. FFL restrictions, 1000' rules, ammo registration, etc. It will be really nice to nip this in the bud and get McCarty out of here before he can do any real damage in the assembly.

sharxbyte
05-04-2012, 10:09 PM
city council helps elect the police chief so I'm told... any cance on him getting ousted too? ^^

jdberger
05-04-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm in. Let me think of what I can do.

Punish our enemies.

Reward our friends

Stonewalker
05-04-2012, 11:03 PM
I have a knee-jerk happy reflex for any politician who wants to streamline permit processes. But how do you know that Mr. Netto is "not anti-gun" (which is good enough for me considering the incumbent's cozy status with the BC)? I could throw some free time this summer at door-to-doors on weekends. I live in north Curtis Park and I really want to help fix my ****ty neighborhood in any way possible, including ousting any anti-gun city council member. This would be a great reason to force me to finally join my neighborhood association.

Don't consider me committed just yet, but if Mr. Netto turns out to be good stuff then I'll volunteer some time. The semester ends in a couple weeks. I'm not worth a damn for free time until then.

mag360
05-05-2012, 7:36 AM
I'm in. Let me think of what I can do.

Punish our enemies.

Reward our friends

yes! good to hear.

I have a knee-jerk happy reflex for any politician who wants to streamline permit processes. But how do you know that Mr. Netto is "not anti-gun" (which is good enough for me considering the incumbent's cozy status with the BC)? I could throw some free time this summer at door-to-doors on weekends. I live in north Curtis Park and I really want to help fix my ****ty neighborhood in any way possible, including ousting any anti-gun city council member. This would be a great reason to force me to finally join my neighborhood association.

Don't consider me committed just yet, but if Mr. Netto turns out to be good stuff then I'll volunteer some time. The semester ends in a couple weeks. I'm not worth a damn for free time until then.

I *know* he's not anti-gun, in fact he is pro gun. I mean I wish I had pictures of him at Mark LaRues facility shooting rifles like Rick Perry, but I don't. Ill post more as we go. Completely agree with you on the north curtis park. I'm in Elmhurst. Definitely join the neighborhood association, I'll be going to the meetings in my neighborhood here very soon.

RMikeL
05-05-2012, 2:38 PM
I'm not a single-issue voter, but I'd like to know Netto's position on RKBA.
I usually avoid buying ammo in city limits thanks to the incumbent (sorry Exchange!).

Some thoughts:
McCarty has already indicated the he wants Steinberg's seat in the senate, so his anti-RKBA attitude would only be a bigger problem if he succeeds. Plus, do we need someone else who's on track to become a career politician?

Mike

jdberger
05-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Folks, here's the deal. Ideally we support our friends and punish our enemies.

If we can't find overt friends, we support those who sympathize with us.

If we can't find folks who sympathize, we support those who dont ally with the enemy.

This is a war we win by increments. Please volunteer. Please get involved. Please do something.

RP1911
05-06-2012, 1:06 AM
He was the one that introduced the letter to the Supreme Court not supporting McDonald if I am not mistaken.

That's something we can use. Point that he is against civil rights.

repr patriot
05-06-2012, 5:51 PM
I can tell you from first hand experience with McCarty that he does what he wants.

I lived in his district and we had an issue with our neighborhood pathway. It is called Kroy Pathway, which leads from 65th St into the neighborhood at Kroy Way. It is right next to the Uhaul at the 65th St offramp from Hwy 50. The pathway was used by criminals to access the neighborhood to steal peoples garden hoses to then return to the Uhaul dealer to siphon diesel from the truck tanks. This pathway was a known location for prostitution and drug dealings. The neighbor that lived next to the pathway routinely had garbage; drug needles, feces, used condoms, etc. dumped over her fence. The pathway was also used as the 'exit' for break-ins, in the neighborhood. It was quick access back to the 65th St light rail station.

With all the planning for the new Target store across the street on 65th, there were many neighborhood meetings that this was discussed. The neighbors collected signatures from almost all of the neighbors in Tahoe Terrace, the immediate neighborhood, requesting the pathway be closed as part of the improvement. However, there was a small group of bicyclists that occasionally used the pathway as a 'shortcut' who didn't even live in the area. Being a cyclist himself, McCarty sided with them.
Long story short, McCarty spent over $500,000.00 to improve a pathway for about 4 or 5 people to use.

There was another issue with some work done at Tahoe Park that the neighbors didn't want done either. Gang activity increased after the work was complete.

I personally do NOT support Kevin McCarty for these and other reasons.